• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMZ: Carrie Fisher suffers cardiac arrest on plane (Up: in ICU, condition unknown)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rydeen

Out of the original cast of the OT, I always thought Harrison Ford would be the one to go first because he was considerably older than Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill. Outside of his reefer and occasional plane crashes though, Harrison seems to be in the best shape out of the three.

This made me laugh because it's so true.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Not to be a jerk, but does Disney have a backup plan for her character if she doesn't make it?

We -- as far as I'm aware -- have no idea what her role is in Episode VIII, thus it's impossible to say what her deal would be in IX. Principal filming on VIII has wrapped as of July, though.

JDHarbs

60 is not old in terms of age, but she probably has the body of a 70+ year old with the way she abused herself over the years. She's made no secret of her drug abuse, weight issues, or mental health battles she has fought. Nor has she made any apologies for it.

Out of the original cast of the OT, I always thought Harrison Ford would be the one to go first because he was considerably older than Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill. Outside of his reefer and occasional plane crashes though, Harrison seems to be in the best shape out of the three.
There have been close calls with all 3 of them over the years. Mark with that car crash, Harrison with his plane crash, and now Carrie with this.

The force is strong with them. How else could they survive nerd conventions for 40 years?

Not to be a jerk, but does Disney have a backup plan for her character if she doesn't make it?

Shes already filmed the next episode. I figure they can write around it if shes still integral to the plot in Episode 9. Since Han's not in the picture anymore you'd think she'd be the emotional payoff for whatever happens to Kylo Ren. :(

sphagnum

Banned

Honestly the tasteful thing would be to kill Leia offscreen if she doesn't die in Episode VIII and let the books fill out what happened.

Changing Leia after so many movies would be jarring and CGI old Leia would just be too weird/too soon.

Shes already filmed the next episode. I figure they can write around it if shes still integral to the plot in Episode 9. Since Han's not in the picture anymore you'd think she'd be the emotional payoff for whatever happens to Kylo Ren. :(

Could they recast her? Or more succinctly, what are the chances of a recast versus an omission like what I feel was done in Dark Knight Rises? Would they have Leia's death be an off screen event in episode ix? I don't think they would have a cgi stand in, as the technology isn't quite there yet.

Could they recast her? Or more succinctly, what are the chances of a recast versus an omission like what I feel was done in Dark Knight Rises? Would they have Leia's death be an off screen event in episode ix? I don't think they would have a cgi stand in, as the technology isn't quite there yet.

I doubt they would out of respect for Carrie's icon role. I figure we'd have a Paul Walker type of scenario where a stand in or CGI was used to replicate Carrie Fisher as best as they could. But shes not dead yet so lets just hope she recovers and gets to finish her career on her terms!

I'm just going to be honest: this is not a good question to ask because nobody is going to have a definitive answer. It's not like Disney is going to have a public facing answer in regards to "what happens if one of our stars passes away?", so what you're looking for is insider info nobody is going to have. If you're looking for conventional wisdom, then I think you can guess at the answers without anyone telling you: write the character out if you can, replace them with another actor/actress or technological tricks if you can't.

linkboy

You can't recast Leia, people would flip their shit (imagine Hayden at the end of Jedi, but 100x worse).

But this isn't the time or place. Here's hoping she'll be OK and have a full recovery.

I doubt they would out of respect for Carrie's icon role. I figure we'd have a Paul Walker type of scenario where a stand in or CGI was used to replicate Carrie Fisher as best as they could. But shes not dead yet so lets just hope she recovers and gets to finish her career on her terms!

I really hate when directors take that stand, as if they're trying to uphold the honor of the performer. I think Dark Knight Rises suffered because of that type of attitude. And besides, they can't even take that stance seeing as how Rogue One featured a CGI stand in for Peter Cushing.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Really awesome to see people sweating the continuity of Star Wars while a woman's life hangs in the balance.

Stay classy you fucks.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Really awesome to see people sweating the continuity of Star Wars while a woman's life hangs in the balance.

Stay classy you fucks.

I apologize for having posted a couple of replies about it.

As I said upthread, Carrie Fisher is -- like Christine mentioned for them! -- one of relatively few real 'idols' of mine. I'm taking edge off in roundabout ways, answering questions of continuity and such, but I assure you, I'm sitting here tonight nursing a now-warm glass of bourbon choking back a few tears and praying she pulls through.

Stay classy you fucks.

Its not unreasonable to wonder what will happen if the worst comes to pass. The reason so many are posting here is because they enjoy her performance as Princess Leia and they want to see closure with her iconic role. Star Wars isn't just a movie. It was a cultural phenomenon that has affected a great many people in many different ways.

fee8661151ba6a61d862c191051b64c0.jpg

My favorite picture of her!

Dude, take the hint.

Whatever. I'm just curious if her status has been updated. I just got home from work, so I'm in the dark on the overall timeline of events.

And not to take this off topic, but how much of a drug user was Eddy Guerrero before he went clean? Was his death a case of his past catching up to him? And how prolific a drug user was Carrie Fisher by comparison? And why the fuck is Jake Roberts alive today when he has probably ingested more illegal substance than Eddy and Carrie combined?

I hope she'll be ok :(

Read her book earlier this year & decided to follow her on twitter, she is so witty & it was amazing how honest she was about her experiences dealing with substance abuse and bpd.

Ughhhh.

Davide

Its not unreasonable to wonder what will happen if the worst comes to pass. The reason so many are posting here is because they enjoy her performance as Princess Leia and they want to see closure with her iconic role. Star Wars isn't just a movie. It was a cultural phenomenon that has affected a great many people in many different ways.

Yup.

Heh, you too? Yeah, she's aces. And like you said, so witty. But damn... her book really helped me this year. I hope it helped you, too! Those words of hers are wisdom.
Yeah, it really did. I've been having a lot of my own issues this year and there was one thing she wrote that stuck with me - paraphrasing but it was something along the lines of "you don't have to like everything you do." There are some things we just have to do and it's perfectly fine to not enjoy them at all - it sounds obvious but it's something I never really thought about and by considering that it made certain things more bearable because I knew I wasn't expected to like it.

I have yet to read her latest book (the one I read was her first, I think) but I'll definitely try and pick it up.

Rydeen

Very happy to hear the hospital is allowing Gary (her service dog) to be by her side in the ICU, that dog is a huge life support for her, and if she has any consciousness right now, having Gary by her side will strengthen her.

Ok. But the main issue I would point out again is that there obviously isn't going to be a ready answer for this. We have no idea what her prognosis is right now, and her health is the current concern. While at some point we all understand that the show must go on, the time to face that reality is not now. "What does this mean for Episode IX?" is not the most pressing question right now. Unless you know someone high up at Disney, you're not going to have the inside scoop on what the resolution is for the death of an actor.

The inappropriateness of the question is partucularly evident when you recognize that what you're about to ask isn't the most opportune thing by prefacing it with "not to be a jerk but..."

Surfinn

Just my two cents as a frequent SW poster.. There are like 5 other threads to discuss the future of the SW franchise. Seems pretty disrespectful to do it in a thread about whether or not someone is going to survive. Not to mention shooting the next SW film is far over a year or so off.

I really hope she pulls through this with no long term issues as a result.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Yeah, it really did. I've been having a lot of my own issues this year and there was one thing she wrote that stuck with me - paraphrasing but it was something along the lines of "you don't have to like everything you do." There are some things we just have to do and it's perfectly fine to not enjoy them at all - it sounds obvious but it's something I never really thought about and by considering that it made certain things more bearable because I knew I wasn't expected to like it.

I have yet to read her latest book (the one I read was her first, I think) but I'll definitely try and pick it up.

I'm pretty heavy-hearted right now, because, and I don't really wanna repeat this again in this topic after this current post (since I think I've said it like twice already and this isn't about me) but back in August I was in a really dark place and Carrie Fisher's book helped save me. Life was awful and I didn't feel like there was much hope but I picked something of hers up almost at random and it seriously helped.

So... I'm with you 100%. And I'm really, really glad that book helped you, too.

But yes. Very heavy-hearted tonight, so... I can't really do it right now, but... I'll hit you up sometime if you wanna chat about those books of hers. She's a great writer.

I can barely even type properly at this point though as I'm sure this post signifies. <_>

Very happy to hear the hospital is allowing Gary (her service dog) to be by her side in the ICU, that dog is a huge life support for her, and if she has any consciousness right now, having Gary by her side will strengthen her.
That's good to hear. She posted so many photos of him on her twitter, and he was in so many of her portraits and even on the red carpet with her. Hopefully his presence will help her.
I'm pretty heavy-hearted right now, because, and I don't really wanna repeat this again in this topic after this current post (since I think I've said it like twice already and this isn't about me) but back in August I was in a really dark place and Carrie Fisher's book helped save me. Life was awful and I didn't feel like there was much hope but I picked something of hers up almost at random and it seriously helped.

So... I'm with you 100%. And I'm really, really glad that book helped you, too.

But yes. Very heavy-hearted tonight, so... I can't really do it right now, but... I'll hit you up sometime if you wanna chat about those books of hers. She's a great writer.

I can barely even type properly at this point though as I'm sure this post signifies. <_>
:( it's okay man, you don't have to explain yourself any further. I know how you feel. All we can do is hope for the best <3

Poster might not realize how devastating drug use actually is.

Drug users in their 30's can look older than people in their 50's and have worse health than people in their 80's.

More to the point: once bodily health is damaged, it's not coming back.
For example: Lindsay Lohan will also live much shorter than she could have (in an alternate world), even if she lives a perfect life with zero relapses from her last substance abuse. The same goes for any other person with a cumulative history that may have reached or passed a critical tipping point of irreversible damage (which includes say, type 2 diabetes).

To be fair, I though Fisher was actually older, like Harrison Ford (currently 74). That's why I said "borrowed time" earlier when referring to the entire cast of the original Star Wars, not just Fisher.

But in the end, there are two things to keep in mind: one: the average cohort (by year of birth) lifespan is skewed towards the centennial outliers due it being a linear measurement, meaning that the average and median without those outliers are actually significantly lower, which is a good thing to keep in mind when thinking about retirement. Two: once the heart, liver, or brain receive significant damage, there is no going back. There are no effective treatments, there is no recovery, there is only some additional time before the end. But at least that is a dignified one, and it can still give considerable time. That, if possible, is what you should be hoping for in this case, not a magical recovery.

I get that people want to hold on to magical beliefs and wish for the best possible world to happen, but unfortunately that's not how life works. And personally, I believe that such expectations do more harm to a person than they would do good. If she recovers to some degree, that would be truly marvelous. I'll spare you the realistic version. But it would be equally unreasonable, in my opinion, to sustain a delusional belief that there is some 'magical healing' available. We'll see what happens, but mostly she is playing for more time right now. I do hope she gets that.

More to the point: once bodily health is damaged, it's not coming back.
For example: Lindsay Lohan will also live much shorter than she could have (in an alternate world), even if she lives a perfect life with zero relapses from her last substance abuse. The same goes for any other person with a cumulative history that may have reached or passed a critical tipping point of irreversible damage (which includes say, type 2 diabetes).

To be fair, I though Fisher was actually older, like Harrison Ford (currently 74). That's why I said "borrowed time" earlier when referring to the entire cast of the original Star Wars, not just Fisher.

But in the end, there are two things to keep in mind: one: the average cohort (by year of birth) lifespan is skewed towards the centennial outliers due it being a linear measurement, meaning that the average and median without those outliers are actually significantly lower, which is a good thing to keep in mind when thinking about retirement. Two: once the heart, liver, or brain receive significant damage, there is no going back. There are no effective treatments, there is no recovery, there is only some additional time before the end. But at least that is a dignified one, and it can still give considerable time. That, if possible, is what you should be hoping for in this case, not a magical recovery.

I get that people want to hold on to magical beliefs and wish for the best possible world to happen, but unfortunately that's not how life works. And personally, I believe that such expectations do more harm to a person than they would do good. If she recovers to some degree, that would be truly marvelous. I'll spare you the realistic version. But it would be equally unreasonable, in my opinion, to sustain a delusional belief that there is some 'magical healing' available. We'll see what happens, but mostly she is playing for more time right now. I do hope she gets that.

How big of an abuser was she? I bring up Eddy Guerrero with his addictions having caught up with him, despite cleaning up. Karen Carpenter also died despite having recovered from her eating disorder. Carrie was a heavy drinker too, if I recall correctly. She seemed to have stayed clean over the past half decade.

Keep fighting, Carrie! You still have more books to write, and more little girls to inspire to be rebel generals! We need you, now more than ever. Know that we appreciate you, your spirit, your sass, your wisdom.

I promise to bring the girls to see you next time you come around, and tell you in person. :(

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Same. This one would really do a number on me. Which is why you can't die, Carrie!

I go post in other topics to try to take edge off but I've literally been here on GAF like all afternoon, evening, and night because of this. It isn't healthy and I should go lay down. But fuck. I keep refreshing. I hope she makes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom