• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To buy or not to buy: 12" Powerbook with Superdrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetsuoxb

Im in the market for a new laptop, and I thought I would turn to GAF for an opinion.

I want to:
Browse on the go
Email on the go
Watch
Use as much OSS as possible
Use FinalScratch 2 for DJing
Use Ableton Live for remixing/reworking

My budget is $2000 USD, but I am purchasing in Japan so keep that in mind.

I am currently looking at:
Apple 12" Powerbook
1.5 Ghz G4
768MB RAM
80GB @ 5400 RPM
8x Superdrive

I am also open to Pentium M based systems, but only if they are under 5lbs, DVD recorder, firewire port for FinalScratch, 3hrs of battery life. Basically it has to be small, light, with great multimedia capabilities, and service and support strong enough to handle be set up in DJ booths.

A wintel notebook would have superior Ableton performance, but will be lacking a bit on FinalScratch. Im attracted to the Mac because I don't have one and I think they are sexy. A windows based machine would be fun to start from scratch and dual boot linux. A mac is better suited to my music hobby.

I don't need a laptop this second, this month, or even in May. So the question is:

A) Do I buy the G4 PB now, since the line recently refreshed.
B) Do I wait and buy a G5/G4 Dualcore PB when they become available, which could be anywhere from June to sometime in 2006.
C) Do I buy <your recommended laptop> now?
D) Do I wait for <something I didn't know about>.

fugimax

Buy. Buy the PowerBook now. (seriously)

I'm not going to lay down an elaborate argument or anything...so just take my word. Once you go Mac, you never go back. :)

(Note: you can also run linux on a powerbook)

tetsuoxb

I know I can run Yellowdog or Montavista linux on the PB (My friend used to work at Montavista, but now he is lead kernel engineer at Ximian/Novell), but it is a bit more fun to install on a wintel machine. Less hassle.

I want to go Mac... but do I go mac now, or wait for the ubermac PB that is not just an incremental speed bump like the previous refresh.

Kola

tetsuoxb said:
I want to go Mac... but do I go mac now, or wait for the ubermac PB that is not just an incremental speed bump like the previous refresh.

Well, you said it yourself, the line just refreshed. I think it's the perfect time. regarding a possbile g4 dual/g5 PB: you can wait yourself to death and as you need the laptop until may...buy now. you won't regret it.

i'll be selling my ibook soon and also buy a pb.

tetsuoxb

No no no.. what I am saying is that I do not need the laptop anytime soon.

I am in a "Like to have it" not "Need to have it" mode until at least August. If I get this new job in August, then it will be need to have it.

Kola

tetsuoxb said:
No no no.. what I am saying is that I do not need the laptop anytime soon.

I am in a "Like to have it" not "Need to have it" mode until at least August. If I get this new job in August, then it will be need to have it.

ok, hmmm. let me think about it for a while...

buy it now! =)

honestly: if you really don't need it right now, then wait until august and see what's on offer. i can only tell you that a PB is a really good choice imo

Macam

Banned
I'll second all the positive PB notes. I have a 15" 1.5Ghz G4 Rev.C PB and not only does it haul even when I had 512MB of RAM, but it's made me almost completely ditch my desktop PC. That, and I'm in love with XCode.

Wendo

Vasectomember
040717_COVER.jpg

LOOK INTO HIS EYES! YOU KNOW IT BE TRUE!

buy it. don't question anything, just make sure you don't settle (as everyone should when buying a new computer).

it's worth it for the OS alone. but yeah, if it's your first mac, it'll definitely change your life for the better.

Takosuke

Hhhmmm...
I also want to buy a Powerbook G4, but the 17" model with 1gb ram.

I only want to play WoW on it, and use it as a desktop computer mainly.

What about Tiger ? Will they bundle it with the powerbooks, and then, will it be better to wait ?

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Takosuke said:
Hhhmmm...
I also want to buy a Powerbook G4, but the 17" model with 1gb ram.

I only want to play WoW on it, and use it as a desktop computer mainly.

What about Tiger ? Will they bundle it with the powerbooks, and then, will it be better to wait ?

As soon as it is out it will be bundled.

I have a 12" PB, and it fucking rocks. When using it at home I kind of wish I went with the 15" PB though. But then it is so portable on the go. I'm conflicted. Either way I love the thing.

Snag a powerbook now. Use a student discount if you can. It'll take about $200 US off the price. I dunno if they offer them in Japan.

Edit: I've got a 15" Powerbook and I love it. It's the best computer I've ever owned, hands down. I'm never going back to PCs again, seriously.

mrkgoo

Funny, I am also in the market for a PB. But was considering the 12" combo drive model. Do I really need a dvd-burner and 20G more HD?

It's difficult to say when the PB line will be refreshed. Your timeframe guesstimate seems to be accurate. It could be as early as June, especially considering the annoying nuances with the latest models, but if Apple does decide to skip dual-G4s, the "mother of all thermal challanges" G5 PBs are said to be a year out.

Looking at theMacRumors Buyer's Guide, which is about as quantitative as you can get when it comes to product lines revision time estimates, you're suppose to buy now.

I'd definitely recommend a PowerBook. If you don't needed it now, though, playing the waiting game until this summer wouldn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom