• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard says Starfield is running nicely on Series S

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
imagine if they made the series S version run on Series X but as a perfomance mode

Eric Wareheim Mind Blown GIF by Tim and Eric

incoming "thats not how it works" "30fps is good" "its due to fidelity reasons"

Imagine that the difference between S and X CPU is ~ 0.2GHz.

JackMcGunns

Why say anything at all? wouldn't it be a PR nightmare if the game runs like shit on Series S now after saying it runs well? make it make sense guys. There's no point of talking about Series S unless it's actually true or he's just plain dumb :pie_lcry:

Last edited:

Tg89

Isn't Todd pretty damn well off? Why would he have a Series S in his house lol. Just get another X bro.

Anyway, I doubt it. Bethesda games don't run well anywhere.

On what planet is running at 30fps even on the series X "Running nicely"

Meph, c'mon man, 30 fps isn't the problem here, the problem is that we, the users, ate the PR bullshit from both companies about their products/consoles...
40K/60 BS, Ray tracing BS, "world's most powerful console" BS, "The power of the SSD" BS, 120Hz BS and so on so forth...

The fact brother that we've been playing mostly souped-up cross-gen games (120Hz/60fps on many titles) hasn't helped either transitioning to the new reality of "true" current gen games - look at Starfield, look at FF16, Spiderman 2 lack of 40fps RT mode, upcoming Forza etc etc.

I am enjoying this gen, don't get me wrong, it's just that from a technical perspective/standpoint both of 'em have been kinda disappointing, a mid-gen refresh IS needed IMO...

Cheers

Last edited:
5600X
2tb 990 pro

i play at 1080p if it runs ok no need for GPU upgrade yet

That system runs circles around the Series S already, even with that under powered 1070.

Get a card that almost chokes that 5600X, like the 3070/4060 Ti or 6750XT.

I recommend the 6750XT, here in this context because it's around $20-$30 cheaper the closest 3070/4060 Ti, slightly better in rasterization (or trades blows), has 4 GB more VRAM and because you're interested in Starfield, AMD being the official marketing partner for the game, they're giving away a copy of Starfield with every mid-high tier GPU's till promo ends.

This is the cheapest and best reviewed one I could find, $360 after the $10 rebate and with the Starfield Premium Edition code.

Also, get yourself a nice 1440p display while you're at it. Preferably IPS panel 144-240 Hz.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Yeah he probably is at the office but at home he's not playing on a Xbox 🤣 he will have a top of the line expensive PC which was my point.
I'm certain he has all of those things at home and in the office. I'm sure he probably works from a home office a lot of the time. It's silly to suggest he is not playing this on all platforms as it is his baby.

cireza

Series S is going to be a perfect Starfield console for people not in the Xbox ecosystem and that are attracted to the theme of the game (which resonates pretty largely beyond the simple video-game sphere).

They should make a white Series S 500GB + Starfield controller + game for 300$ for Christmas.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Lie! Why would someone with money need to own a Series S & X instead of two Series X's? Unless to playtest on Series S but I call bullshit on that. Why would someone in his position need to playtest at home, unless he is testing/playing for fun.. which leads me back to, why does he have a Series S & X and not two Series X's.

twilo99

Lie! Why would someone with money need to own a Series S & X instead of two Series X's? Unless to playtest on Series S but I call bullshit on that. Why would someone in his position need to playtest at home, unless he is testing/playing for fun.. which leads me back to, why does he have a Series S & X and not two Series X's.

He is obviously into efficiency and compact form factors

night13x

I'm going to go ahead and call it here:

Right before release he will say 30 fps for series x and a special unique playthough of epic 15 fps cinematic experience on the S - encouraging all X owners to also pick up a series S for the ultimate complete experience.

And then uncle Phil will come out and announce starfield will be the most supported game in xbox history. Just like Redfall.

Top Bottom