• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

Rappy

I'm wondering if the people who think the characters are lame, don't think the Persona 5 characters are lame. I found all the characters in TMS more charming than the majority of the Persona 5 confidants.

Andyliini

Wow, this thread just reached page 100. I didn't think it would be possible, considering how niche the game is. Great to see the game has it's fans. I loved it too. Actually, this was first MegaTen (at least inspired by it) game I could ever finish.

Lusankya

Wow, this thread just reached page 100. I didn't think it would be possible, considering how niche the game is. Great to see the game has it's fans. I loved it too. Actually, this was first MegaTen (at least inspired by it) game I could ever finish.

Btw in the US alone it completely outsold the Japanese version in the first week. Despite being "super Japanese" and slightly censored.

-shadow-

I stopped at the Chapter 4 final boss because it kept killing me over and over towards the end despite me using everything to prevent it. I still should come around and finish it some day. I absolutely loved the game until this point.

SPCTRE

The only thing that was missing from TMS#FE for me was a sense of "oh, here's the dating sim part now", which seemed like it just didn't happen (to be fair, that expectation was mostly based on watching the Persona 4 Endurance Run on Giant Bomb).

Dantis

The game is pretty fun if you love Japanese stuff. It was a ton fan having one of the characters obsessed with Kamen Rider(basically) and all the singing and dancing scenes are both rediculous and awesome. It's maybe not as meaty as other JRPGs especially on the atlus side of things but if you already own it then play it.

If you like the battle system and you like the super Japanesey presentation then yes.

How much animu/jpop hijinx can you handle?

The battle system opens up around the third dungeon and the game is overall well paced. It's around 50 hours and the progression of systems opens gradually in a satisfying way. It also has a much better implementation of text messaging than P5.

That said, it was a mere appetizer for P5. The story and characters, while inoffensive, are pretty vapid. Also, battle animations, while stylish, get a bit long near the end.

It's a breezy and light adventure that is surprisngly addicting, but it doesn't leave much of an impact.

Welp.

Probably best to leave it at the bottom of the pile then.

Nose Master

I'm wondering if the people who think the characters are lame, don't think the Persona 5 characters are lame. I found all the characters in TMS more charming than the majority of the Persona 5 confidants.

Eh, a lot of it is the dialogue. It's so stilted and awkward in TMS. Half the time I feel like I'm playing a google translate dating sim. Tsubasa is the cringiest character ever penned by human hands.

That said: does high-res art of Barry Goodman's shirt(s) design exist anywhere? I know they were sold at a live concert event, but I'm trying to ghetto print transfer one.

mas8705

Kind of sad that I didn't rejoin onto Neogaf until a few months ago to talk about #FE when it came out. Honestly, I enjoyed the game from start to finish. I liked the story, the side events, and the combat was good too. Kind of a shame that the game got the criticism that it got back when it was first shown though.

mas8705

What's the chance of a Switch version of this.. this completely flew over my head. Don't have the U anymore. Damn shame this looks amazing

They probably would have to rework the game itself considering there was a good amount of stuff done on the touchscreen. As such... I'm going to say, "Unlikely"

Brakke

Banned

Nobody in TMS is charming. Your boss is a skanky lush who trades in exploiting vulnerable teens. Barry is... well he's Barry. Tsubasa is a dimwit. The redhead guy is ok. I guess the happa girl is pretty much the same in TMS as in P5, but at least Ann recognizes that her field is full of scumbags unlike naive-ass archer girl.

Tsubasa is the cringiest character ever penned by human hands.

Someone never played World of Final Fantasy, I see.

WORLDOFFINALFANTASY_20161014172338_1.jpg

PillarEN

They could make minor changes. The same way how Breath of the Wild was gimped so that none of the Wii U features were used so it would be the same as on the Switch. Same could be done with TMS.

Mobile stuff would simply be put on the main screen with dedicated button to bring that up. A button to bring up the map on the screen (transparent style if you'd like).

I mean it's so obvious how Breath of the Wild should have used the Wii U pad for the map but didn't only because a Switch version exists. So do the exact same stuff on a potential Switch TMS. Or you know, if they are so adamant on including some weirdo Nintendo app for online play chat just make use of that app for the Wii U tab features in this game.

EDIT: I like Tsubasa. I laughed when she was called a snowflake in one of her sidequests. I like the tropeness of the game in general.

mas8705

They could make minor changes. The same way how Breath of the Wild was gimped so that none of the Wii U features were used so it would be the same as on the Switch. Same could be done with TMS.

Mobile stuff would simply be put on the main screen with dedicated button to bring that up. A button to bring up the map on the screen (transparent style if you'd like).

I mean it's so obvious how Breath of the Wild should have used the Wii U pad for the map but didn't only because a Switch version exists. So do the exact same stuff on a potential Switch TMS. Or you know, if they are so adamant on including some weirdo Nintendo app for online play chat just make use of that app for the Wii U tab features in this game.

EDIT: I like Tsubasa. I laughed when she was called a snowflake in one of her sidequests. I like the tropeness of the game in general.

True. It is within the realm of possibility, and I wouldn't complain about playing through the game again on the Switch. I'm still hesitant on it actually happening (or at the very least think that it isn't much of a concern if another game from them is going to be out on the switch soon).

Forgot to talk about the characters, to which I had little problems with them too. This is as basic of a plot and characters you can expect out of a JRPG (Hell, it is set in Japan's epicenter of entertainment) so if you're not into the J-Pop culture, it is probably going to get on your bad side.

And I'll admit that that there were plenty of laughs throughout the game too.

mas8705

Wanted to find the screenshot of the lead saying, "She's talking to a cat" but this one works too.

468px-Tms120.png

Was hilarious to listen to hear her say the line while laughing and watching the President run away. Love the last part of "andthenfornoreasonatallI'llkillToumatoo."

Dee Dee

tumblr_nz0wwe6Urz1rskooeo3_500.gif

Reposting this gif for this glorious thread bump!

So glad people still pick this up. Extremely fun game. I am massively enjoying Persona 5 at the moment, but the battles never flow as well as in TMS. Even the way you mass- or single-target enemies is so different for me in those two games, even though it should be the same?
I also miss all my TMS buddies, they were so fun to hang out with, Person 5 is downright gloomy in comparison.

Can't believe people talk about characters and don't mention Yashiro.
Yashiro sidequests, did you even do them?

Spoilered out of respect for the fragile:
tumblr_ob5qj5ijRd1shuatdo1_500.gif

PillarEN

I did his sidequest. I see him more as a great asset to battle than a character. I dig his bandage costumes. The evil version looks great too.
When it comes to slightly aloof people in the game I'm quite partial to Tiki=Wifu. OK, maybe that's waaaaay too aloof. Her demeanor is really funny to me.

Rodin

Yeah i'd love that, probably the biggest reasons why i stopped playing the game was the constant flow of messages i had to read through my gamepad while playing with the Pro Controller, because like i said the analog stick on my gamepad is fucked.

And i agree about Tsubasa (and the characters in general), she's funny and silly, not cringey. I wonder people who don't like her what would say about Ann or Futaba lol (and i loved both).

In fact, i'd say i like Kiria and Tsubasa more than any girl in P5, both as characters and for their design. None of the girls in P5 has anything as good looking as Kiria's outfit in The Labyrinth for example, or Tsubasa's and Eleonora's battle costumes, except maybe Noire's "Beauty Thief" (lol) outfit. I also like Touma but the guys are better in Persona 5, especially Joker is possibly the best design Atlus ever had in one of their games.

Wanted to find the screenshot of the lead saying, "She's talking to a cat" but this one works too.

468px-Tms120.png

Was hilarious to listen to hear her say the line while laughing and watching the President run away. Love the last part of "andthenfornoreasonatallI'llkillToumatoo."

Yeah that part cracked me up as well.

Anyway i just started Chapter 4's dungeon, is it long/good?

PillarEN

You are like 70% done I'd say. That dungeon with the TV screens? Yeah it's fun in my opinion. Plus not too long after this you start to get all that extra access to all dungeons from before.

This game definitely deserves a second life on Switch. Even after P5, I'm looking back fondly at my time with itvand would love to bring it everywhere. The Gamepad bits will be missed but there ain't nothing wrong with an old fashioned menu. Also it could be an excuse to throw in more costumes.

Rodin

You are like 70% done I'd say. That dungeon with the TV screens? Yeah it's fun in my opinion. Plus not too long after this you start to get all that extra access to all dungeons from before.

Thanks! Then let's go beat
Tarachino
😂😂😂

Haven't had a chance to read the last few pages but can someone tell me if this will scratch the Persona itch? I'll only be getting P5 in June/July but still have this wrapped. Been in the mood for Persona for awhile now but don't want to replay P4G.

PillarEN

Haven't had a chance to read the last few pages but can someone tell me if this will scratch the Persona itch? I'll only be getting P5 in June/July but still have this wrapped. Been in the mood for Persona for awhile now but don't want to replay P4G.

I got it pretty much because I am a new era Persona fan. Worked for me and had a batter battle system and dungeon design than P3 and P4.

Yam's

It doesn't have any of the social link aspect of the more recent Persona and it's a LOT more cheerful throughout the whole game. At a point where there was too much happiness for my taste. The story isn't as good as Personas and the cast is as endearing as it's dumb (I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way but it's an idol world so...).

I don't think it can fill the Persona's thirst. The game is just too different. At least it didn't do it for me. The story is quite boring, subquests are often dumb and the only thing it does better than P3/4 is its dungeons. However the battle system quickly becomes tiring because of the long unskippable animations.

It really depends on how much happiness and j-pop you can take, but don't expect the same kind of experience as a Persona.

Lunar15

It's definitely not persona nor should it be persona (in some ways I like that there isn't a calendar system despite that being one of my favorite aspects of persona), but there's no denying that it's heavily inspired by persona.

That said, I actually enjoyed the battle system a little bit more than Persona, even if I enjoy Persona's SMT style fusion system more.

Rodin

It doesn't have any of the social link aspect of the more recent Persona and it's a LOT more cheerful throughout the whole game. At a point where there was too much happiness for my taste. The story isn't as good as Personas and the cast is as endearing as it's dumb (I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way but it's an idol world so...).

I don't think it can fill the Persona's thirst. The game is just too different. At least it didn't do it for me. The story is quite boring, subquests are often dumb and the only thing it does better than P3/4 is its dungeons. However the battle system quickly becomes tiring because of the long unskippable animations.

It really depends on how much happiness and j-pop you can take, but don't expect the same kind of experience as a Persona.
You can skip the animations though, and the combat system is better than Persona games regardless. The games are also kinda similar in their progression structure, except for the calendar stuff.

And I don't see how having a "happy" tone is a bad thing, not every game needs to be about catastrophes and destroyed worlds. The tone is pretty consistent between story and characters, which means it's good.

Weebos

Banned
You can skip the animations though, and the combat system is better than Persona games regardless. The games are also kinda similar in their progression structure, except for the calendar stuff.

And I don't see how having a "happy" tone is a bad thing, not every game needs to be about catastrophes and destroyed worlds. The tone is pretty consistent between story and characters, which means it's good.

Is there a way to skip or speed up Session animations? I tried and never found one.

PillarEN

You can skip animations with "B" but you can't skip session animations. You can skip those "Duet Sessions" with "B".

If you get a session of 6 you have to watch all 6 sessions.

the game would have benefited from more animation skip possibilities.

Lunar15

You can skip animations with "B" but you can't skip session animations. You can skip those "Duet Sessions" with "B".

If you get a session of 6 you have to watch all 6 sessions.

the game would have benefited from more animation skip possibilities.

Yes, particularly near the end because those sessions get loooooooong. They're satisfying as hell, but seeing it repeated gets too long for my tastes.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
As a total experience I think I enjoyed TMS a bit better than P5. There are no long drawn out sequences where you lose control and the game becomes a visual novel for a huge section of the game. And yes, I've played P3 and P4 and while they do have those long expositionary sequences, none are as bad as P5.

Azoor

The game isn't persona and doesn't need to be persona....

Yeah, no idea why people like to compare the two. Persona 5 has a very different tone and TMS is a far more lighthearted and the characters are far more quirky.

The games are apples and oranges.

SUPGUYZ

Banned
I got about 75% through and lost interest, it was cool and cute, but I'm not into idol stuff so it probably really wasn't meant for me anyway!

Rodin

As a total experience I think I enjoyed TMS a bit better than P5. There are no long drawn out sequences where you lose control and the game becomes a visual novel for a huge section of the game. And yes, I've played P3 and P4 and while they do have those long expositionary sequences, none are as bad as P5.
I love those parts of P5 tbh, they could last for a while but i never thought they were too long, except maybe for the part post dungeon

I got about 75% through and lost interest, it was cool and cute, but I'm not into idol stuff so it probably really wasn't meant for me anyway!

But there's Hee Ho Mart in it!
And with a cute lady dressed as Jack Frost

If only this was really SMTxFE. Who wouldn't want to see Marth stab Mara?

Lol

But i think the problem was that Nintendo announced the game way too early. Probably not even Atlus knew what they wanted to do with it at the time, it was just a concept but being in that direct with that teaser set the wrong expectations.

Yam's

I was thinking about sessions as they get way too long near the end.

And I'm not saying happy is a bad thing, just that having so much of it didn't click with me.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Yeah, no idea why people like to compare the two. Persona 5 has a very different tone and TMS is a far more lighthearted and the characters are far more quirky.

The games are apples and oranges.

More like Granny Smith vs Red Delicious. TMS borrows a ton from Persona from atmosphere, influenced by Japanese pop culture, the mysterious other world shaped by peoples desires and dreams, social links to boost battle performances with your allies and support group. Its no different than say Dark Souls and Bloodborne. I won't argue they are the same game, they aren't, but theres a lot of similarities between the two where comparisons are certainly warranted. TMS is much more similar to Persona than say Persona is to baseline SMT.

GenG3000

I'm 56 hours into Persona 5 but I don't have the drive to keep going, I think the game has serious dialogue pacing issues and overexposition.

Point is, I remember how I ploughed through TMS in 70 hours a year ago. I would describe it as tight simplicity. Such an underrated gem.

Top Bottom