• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

muteki

Not really other than looking at the skills, but you don't have to be that class to make the Carnages from that class. Class changing just unlocks them.
Ah, okay. I was misunderstanding the exclusivity. Not that it makes a big difference in most cases but will switch over sooner now.

Chapter 4 down. The end of the boss fight was nuts. Pretty much a case of, "if this doesn't work I'm screwed" Boss missed everyone and Itsuki's ad lib triggered which gave me a seal on
Tsurugi
. No one had enough health to take a hit lol. Felt good

Finished my playthrough on hard today at ~85 hours. Completed all sidequests, requests and earned every possible skill. How's lunatic in comparison to hard? To be honest I thought hard wasn't hard at all and could be a bit more challenging. Especially the final boss was a peace of cake in my opinion. I was at lvl 64 with itsuki and 60-61 the others. Bruteforcing with sessions works just fine.

What does NG+ offer? I heard there are new and more powerful skills. Anything else?

Maybesew

Been working thru this game really slowly, but had one of those brutal moments where i had been forgetting to save and ran into a savage opponent and lost a few hours of progress. It was the first time I had played in over a week, so I forgot all about saving. sad face

Gvitor

Been working thru this game really slowly, but had one of those brutal moments where i had been forgetting to save and ran into a savage opponent and lost a few hours of progress. It was the first time I had played in over a week, so I forgot all about saving. sad face

This just happened to me... twice in a row. I lost all will to keep playing for today, zero progress done.

Got the game yesterday, played up until the mid-boss in the 2nd dungeon.
Then the game prompts you to go back to Tiki to create the song for Tsubasa. I did that, saved, and started again today. Went back to the dungeon, the game still very easy, I even took some savage monsters around the dungeon, but then one appeared right in front of me with no time to even try to avoid if I wanted. Then the battle starts, and there are 4 of the armor thing.

The problem is: I open with Touma, can't escape, and then they got 4 turns in a row where they session me to death (never thought I would write these words). I lost 30~40min of progress the first time and 15~20 in the second in the exact same situation.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
This just happened to me... twice in a row. I lost all will to keep playing for today, zero progress done.

Got the game yesterday, played up until the mid-boss in the 2nd dungeon.
Then the game prompts you to go back to Tiki to create the song for Tsubasa. I did that, saved, and started again today. Went back to the dungeon, the game still very easy, I even took some savage monsters around the dungeon, but then one appeared right in front of me with no time to even try to avoid if I wanted. Then the battle starts, and there are 4 of the armor thing.

The problem is: I open with Touma, can't escape, and then they got 4 turns in a row where they session me to death (never thought I would write these words). I lost 30~40min of progress the first time and 15~20 in the second in the exact same situation.

Can you buy Smoke Machines yet in the Hee Ho Mart? Always have some in stock in case you need an emergency exit from a battle, I have yet to see one fail in a savage encounter.

mclem

How long - in time terms - is the stretch from final door to credits? I'm there, but I'm not sure if it's wise to do that on a weeknight (where I'd be starting late, and won't want to go to sleep until it's done), or if it's better to hold off for the weekend where I have a lot more leeway with work responsibilities.

If I can do it in an hour or so, it'll fit into my weekday playtime. If it's much longer, best to hold out.

Gvitor

Can you buy Smoke Machines yet in the Hee Ho Mart? Always have some in stock in case you need an emergency exit from a battle, I have yet to see one fail in a savage encounter.

I'm not sure, but I'll definitely look for those, thanks. The only thing I bought in the mart when I was there the first time were items to cure poison, and I don't even need them right now, the game just gave me a bunch.

How long - in time terms - is the stretch from final door to credits? I'm there, but I'm not sure if it's wise to do that on a weeknight (where I'd be starting late, and won't want to go to sleep until it's done), or if it's better to hold off for the weekend where I have a lot more leeway with work responsibilities.

If I can do it in an hour or so, it'll fit into my weekday playtime. If it's much longer, best to hold out.

Hour+ depending on your difficulty

There's an epilogue chapter where you talk to people that you can save during between the final boss and the credits

Rainy

Banned
Just did Barry and Ellie's last side stories.

Barry is such a weird character, especially with his obsession to get so much affection from Mamori. Weird ending to that story with him dressing up as the dog and stuff.

Ellie's was weirdly depressing in a way. I'm #TeamTsubasa and all but man you can tell Ellie really likes Itsuki. She seems happy going to Hollywood though.

I wonder how the game would have worked if they included some romance mechanic in it though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxJ97dG-HLw

This is probably my favorite battle theme in the game.

-shadow-

I've made it a habit to press the Y button the moment I see a Savage enemy. Save and just let it happen. Messed it myself up once and never again.

volgihn

Slowly working on the game and I'm loving it so far, Still in chapter 3. Unlocked a level 44 side quest, tried to clear it and got absolutely destroyed. I guess it's time to go clear some more of the main story.

Eumi

This damn game better be worth it. I've waited over a week for it to be delivered only for it to get damaged en-route to my house and have it refunded to me. I bought it on the e-shop, downloaded after 3 hours, got 30% into the install, spent 20 minutes after that slowly creeping closer, then told me data was corrupted and I'd have to reinstall.

I haven't even played it yet, just needed to vent somewhere.

daemonic

Banned
Just finished Chapter 4 but starting to feel the game is getting repetitive and so my interest is waning. Does the general formula remain as is until the very end?

muteki

Just realized to get one of the Duo Arts you have to go through a "Dating Barret" scenario...I'm probably missing out on that one.

I have enjoyed picking the Jerk option far too often in this game.

Just finished the game, clocked in at 47 hours or so. Fantastic game, imo, just about what I'd expect from Atlus. I'll probably do a NG+ run for 100% completion.

I like how they wrote the subs for Smile Smile so that it matches the actual melody, like it's an actual English version of the song instead of a straight translation. They probably did this for the other songs too; I definitely remember thinking this about Feel.

Gvitor

A follow-up to my predicament: no, there aren't any for sale. Fortunately I had one, so when the exact same situation happened AGAIN, I managed to escape and complete the dungeon and the chapter. The game continues to be fairly easy (I'm playing on normal...), but this particular savage encounter was just too much. Not being able to escape and having to deal with 4 enemies attacking on a row, with sessions, was just impossible to me.

Really enjoying the game otherwise.

And while I don't want to derail the thread in regards to the censorship, it's just very weird to keep hearing about censorship and then they have (ch1 spoilers)
Tsubasa's sister with barely any cloth covering her breasts and then that really suggestive conversation between Maiko and Itsuki...

Phoenixus

Just completed it. RPG of the generation so far for me I think, at least until Persona 5 arrives.

(Ending Spoilers)
One of the aspects I liked most about the game was the different outfit choices, and although Itsuki's default cape costume was great, everyone else had a decent variety I could switch through to stop from getting bored with them. Until new game plus, thank fuck for Marth!

Speaking of which, that dragon was bloody annoying, I figured there was some sort of pattern as to when he'd use that super strong attack in the second phase and it somehow correlated with his weapon and element weaknesses since they kept changing, but no dice. A good resolution though, even if it rarely felt like the world was in actual danger.

I liked the small insight into the futures of all the characters, though I thought it was a dick move from the mirages to only say goodbye to Itsuki and not the rest of Fortuna that actually fought with them. They weren't annoyed about it though, so hey ho.

Started a carryover file on lunatic and just quickly skipped up to after the first fight so I could check out Itsuki's new duds. If that battle is anything to go by, this second playthrough is going to be a bitch. And I love it. :p

muteki

A follow-up to my predicament: no, there aren't any for sale. Fortunately I had one, so when the exact same situation happened AGAIN, I managed to escape and complete the dungeon and the chapter. The game continues to be fairly easy (I'm playing on normal...), but this particular savage encounter was just too much. Not being able to escape and having to deal with 4 enemies attacking on a row, with sessions, was just impossible to me.

Really enjoying the game otherwise.

And while I don't want to derail the thread in regards to the censorship, it's just very weird to keep hearing about censorship and then they have (ch1 spoilers)
Tsubasa's sister with barely any cloth covering her breasts and then that really suggestive conversation between Maiko and Itsuki...

I am pretty sure I have bought smoke machines at He Ho....you might not be able to until Ch 1~2 or so when they expand their inventory.

Man Touma's 2nd or 3rd side story (the one with the boss) No matter what I do Touma spends a large part of the fight dead. Kiria cat special doesn't seem to work for the first time on this dude. How do I avoid the
charge + espada
combo? I've tried boosting my evade and decreasing the boss' hit rate and this fucker still doesn't miss anything. Plus the crits. Good god the crits. Why the hell does it go through attack mirrors too?

Dee Dee

Man Touma's 2nd or 3rd side story (the one with the boss) No matter what I do Touma spends a large part of the fight dead. Kiria cat special doesn't seem to work for the first time on this dude. How do I avoid the
charge + espada
combo? I've tried boosting my evade and decreasing the boss' hit rate and this fucker still doesn't miss anything. Plus the crits. Good god the crits. Why the hell does it go through attack mirrors too?

Did you remember to spend your useless Yen on jewelry / accessories in Shibuya? It's your armor stat.

Also, use clap tracks before entering the fight to start off with special attacks - and as you're stuck with Touma why not use Gaia's Whisper for decent buffing? (You got that from the second side-story I think)

I don't remember that boss fight, but if all else fails, maybe equip a less powerful Carnage that gives you better resistance against the types of boss attacks they do?

Did you remember to spend your useless Yen on jewelry / accessories in Shibuya? It's your armor stat.

Also, use clap tracks before entering the fight to start off with special attacks - and as you're stuck with Touma why not use Gaia's Whisper for decent buffing? (You got that from the second side-story I think)

I don't remember that boss fight, but if all else fails, maybe equip a less powerful Carnage that gives you better resistance against the types of boss attacks they do?

it's probably the Abel fight, and since he's using Espada it's piercing through everything because of Touma's class.

I don't remember having to do anything special, but having Mamori out there would probably help with healing so Touma can get some things in

Just beat Chapter 5. How many more chapters are left?

The Cosmic Egg seems very endgame-like given the major plot dump and hype around it.

Is the Performa for Yashiro's Radiant skill that increases evade against lance affinity attacks in the chest on Altitude 232m? If so, where is the portal to get in there, if it can be easily described? Thanks!

GenG3000

I finished the game on hard yesterday and I'm very happy with what we got. The moment to moment gameplay is excellent, with a traditional but strategic and flashy combat system, compelling growing and skill acquisition systems and nice dungeons compared with what we usually get in other RPGs or even the SMT series. The characters grow on you, the showbiz theme is portrayed in a coherent way and with some amusing situations and jokes about the industry and the Fire Emblem fanservice is always on point, and at a certain point it becomes a treat for longtime fans. A lot of love was poured into this one.

Some elements from this game should become staples in other Atlus RPG like the Persona series - for example, the mirage system. It is nice in SMT, but in character-centric games I would prefer a single "stand" per character that defines and grows with each character and not disposable demons. The character-mirage interaction inside and outside battle is something I've wanting to see in the Persona series for a long time.

I hope these systems can end in another Atlus game and that they keep collaborating with Nintendo.

mclem

Finished on hard, 92 hours on the clock (although I suspect something like 5-10 of that is just leaving it running while doing other stuff). Found the final boss surprisingly easy, although I may have been a little overlevelled (My grindy style meant that Itsuki was on 67, with everyone else on 63).

Really, really enjoyed the game. I would criticise it a little for getting a bit formulaic after the first couple of chapters (
Here's a named person. Oh look, they're mind controlled. Here's an Idolasphere. Dungeon, halfway boss, dungeon, sojourn to outside for one of the cast to Learn a Lesson, back inside, final boss, complete
, and I think the dungeons were perhaps a little shorter than I'd have liked, with only really 106 and the final dungeon being of a compelxity that appealed to me, but these are small niggles, I really, really enjoyed it, and it made me a whole lot happier than many RPGs do.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Took a ~20 hour break to play through Star Ocean: Integrity & Faithlessness. I needed it as I'm not a J-pop fan at all. Despite liking this game overall, that really does grate on me a lot.

Probably will have a shorter final time that many of you as I won't play on hard or do requests.

Astral Dog

Finished on hard, 92 hours on the clock (although I suspect something like 5-10 of that is just leaving it running while doing other stuff). Found the final boss surprisingly easy, although I may have been a little overlevelled (My grindy style meant that Itsuki was on 67, with everyone else on 63).

Really, really enjoyed the game. I would criticise it a little for getting a bit formulaic after the first couple of chapters (
Here's a named person. Oh look, they're mind controlled. Here's an Idolasphere. Dungeon, halfway boss, dungeon, sojourn to outside for one of the cast to Learn a Lesson, back inside, final boss, complete
, and I think the dungeons were perhaps a little shorter than I'd have liked, with only really 106 and the final dungeon being of a compelxity that appealed to me, but these are small niggles, I really, really enjoyed it, and it made me a whole lot happier than many RPGs do.
some dungeons vary a lot but i like that there are shorter ones, but yeah you get large dungeons like the TV station and Shibuya Central but you also get shorter ones late in the game,weird, the one in the theater can be long because of the puzzle,
but overall it was good considering you take too long on some and less on others.

Gvitor

This game is so good. I'm only in the 3rd dungeon, but they're ever expansive and with much better design than P4G's corridors. I'm also enjoying the carnage weapons more than having to switch personas.

Frimaire

How do I get Mr. Detritus Mirage to stop moaning and take my detritus? I'm partway into Chapter 6 already.

You need to start the request in the arena by talking to the guy from behind the counter.
then you can talk to the mirage in Harajuku and he'll relocate to the arena, where you can trade detritus with him.

Kevinroc

Finally finished it. That last battle can be a little intense.

But the pre-final battle stuff was definitely hype.
Hearing the cast sing the Fire Emblem commercial theme was a really interesting way to hype up that final battle.

I enjoyed this game. I'm glad I had a chance to experience it. I enjoyed the modern J-Pop setting (although it was much more upbeat about the J-Pop scene than Persona 4 was).

Now it's time to move on to something else. And to let my brother have a go at this game.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I'll have another look, just sick of that dungeon right now.

Looooong hard fight to the end of chapter 5. Some real close calls there.
It's quite simple when you see that a certain position you need is on the bottom floor and that there are only 2 floors to operate within.

Top Bottom