• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Okay anyone have any tips for the 2nd boss in chapter 3? Around what level should I be?
33 iirc, cute Kiria does wonders, burst him down if you have the firepower afterwards.

Any tips for the chapter 4 boss ? Thanks.
Make sure you resist the magic on field as best you can, cute Kiria when weak to lightning then go ham, cute Kiria again once the flow of battle moves to second phase, make sure you got evade/hit buffs+debuffs

Zankou

Any tips for the chapter 4 boss ? Thanks.

- Use Kirias Pastel Power to inflict status ailments on bosses
- Attack the guy (forgot name) with Toumas Lance skills
- Use Itsuki for healing or damaging the boss
- repeat until boss is in rage mode and spams strong field magic skills
- Use magic mirror

So this fight kind of came out of nowhere (chapter 6)
Fighting this Gharnef dude and it seems like I'm way under levelled. Tsubasa is 10 levels below lol. Got him to the last stretch then he kept killing people off I couldn't get any more damage in

Been really starved of new Carnages since the last chapter. Where the hell are the new monsters?

So this fight kind of came out of nowhere (chapter 6)
Fighting this Gharnef dude and it seems like I'm way under levelled. Tsubasa is 10 levels below lol. Got him to the last stretch then he kept killing people off I couldn't get any more damage in

Been really starved of new Carnages since the last chapter. Where the hell are the new monsters?

In the final dungeon

So gad wondering if the game gets better just finished chapter 3 I think
Barry one mamori got her performa
. Game is starting to get a bit dull for me. It seems to follow the same pattern and not much actual story yet. Already guessed
the guy who was outside the idolasphere is working with big bad, most likely a mirage master a villain from the fire emblem games
. I'm about 20 hours in now, and like the battles but constant sessions get a bit boring lol touma had fell about 10 levels below itsuki now lol main the other 4 lol

Gvitor

Does the hee-hoo mart salesperson keep appearing in the Daitama dungeon asking for those skulls over and over again? Unless I forgot to save (and I'm pretty sure I didn't), I already did this quest...

Also, unrelated, but Kiria's ad-lib performance is the best.

Frimaire

Does the hee-hoo mart salesperson keep appearing in the Daitama dungeon asking for those skulls over and over again? Unless I forgot to save (and I'm pretty sure I didn't), I already did this quest...

Those requests are repeatable, there's one for pretty much every dungeon.

Dee Dee

Yes you can repeat those dark hee-ho mart quests for the rewards.

All those people saying ××××'s ad-lib performance is the best: Do you not enjoy the Hungry Man?

So gad wondering if the game gets better just finished chapter 3 I think
Barry one mamori got her performa
. Game is starting to get a bit dull for me. It seems to follow the same pattern and not much actual story yet. Already guessed
the guy who was outside the idolasphere is working with big bad, most likely a mirage master a villain from the fire emblem games
. I'm about 20 hours in now, and like the battles but constant sessions get a bit boring lol touma had fell about 10 levels below itsuki now lol main the other 4 lol

I burned out around chapter 4 too. Take a break and come back later. The story is truly nothing to write home about, but you are still missing another party member with some unique battle mechanics (
<3 Counter
) and fun side stories. It can help to just use the skill to avoid low level encounters and blitz through the dungeon to get to the boss encounters. I enjoyed all the boss encounters, even though the final boss was a bit of a let down after all these cool ones.

Rainy

Banned
Does anyone have tips for the final boss?

I actually beat the first form and was pissed to find out there was another form immediately after without a save in sight.
The second form essentially wrecks my party because he randomly switches spell types and because of that Dies Irae attack. Also why do attack and magic mirrors not work for some of his attacks?

Dee Dee

Does anyone have tips for the final boss?

I actually beat the first form and was pissed to find out there was another form immediately after without a save in sight.
The second form essentially wrecks my party because he randomly switches spell types and because of that Dies Irae attack. Also why do attack and magic mirrors not work for some of his attacks?

For one, mirror items don't work on almighty attacks.
Second, what worked for me was focussing on attacking and sessioning over healing - it's risky, but can trigger duo arts that heal you anyway and will fill your session meter enough to
use that Naga skill they give you like crazy
Make sure you have revive items and high armor accessories, and don't sit on your incenses if you have any, but put them right into your party. The fight is very tough, and much of an endurance test.

Does he one-shot you? If not, it's just about adjusting your tactics. Maybe try another party going into the fight, see if it allows you more leeway.

You can also try putting status effects like seal or stun on the boss, it CAN work from what I read, but sounds just as risky as hoping for duo arts to pop. Someone should correct me on this if necessary.

Rainy

Banned
For one, mirror items don't work on almighty attacks.
Second, what worked for me was focussing on attacking and sessioning over healing - it's risky, but can trigger duo arts that heal you anyway and will fill your session meter enough to
use that Naga skill they give you like crazy
Make sure you have revive items and high armor accessories, and don't sit on your incenses if you have any, but put them right into your party. The fight is very tough, and much of an endurance test.

Does he one-shot you? If not, it's just about adjusting your tactics. Maybe try another party going into the fight, see if it allows you more leeway.

You can also try putting status effects like seal or stun on the boss, it CAN work from what I read, but sounds just as risky as hoping for duo arts to pop. Someone should correct me on this if necessary.

Yeah I know they don't work on almighty attacks but it seems even at other times regular spells aren't reflected, but that's not really too important here.

I'll just spoiler tag the rest since I'll be talking more boss specifics.

Thanks for the advice. He doesn't really one shot anyone except Kiria, which only happened when he used fire spells, then a physical attack, then that energy drain attack. He just sessions her to death, which created this nasty cycle of me reviving her and then her dying for like 4 straight rounds.

I think I just need to take more risks like you said, need to hope for those dual arts. Also I usually enter the battle with Itsuki, Tsubasa (for healing), and Kiria (to use high level ice-spells on the Shadow Dragon); it's also good because all three of these members can hit weaknesses of the shamans and other minions he summons too. I might switch out Kiria though, could help. Dies Irae is a problem... need to just hope for the best though.

Need to also head over to Carabia and just buy all the highest level stuff, forgot to do that beforehand.

SPCTRE

Is there a recommended level range for each chapter beyond what they're giving as text prompts ahead of entering boss fights?

I'm basically wondering if I'm taking the fun out of some encounters because I'm overleveled (I did some grinding in Chapter 3/4).

(Sorry this has to be a repeated question but search turned up empty)

HawthorneKitty

Is there a recommended level range for each chapter beyond what they're giving as text prompts ahead of entering boss fights?

I'm basically wondering if I'm taking the fun out of some encounters because I'm overleveled (I did some grinding in Chapter 3/4).

(Sorry this has to be a repeated question but search turned up empty)
Don't they only give level prompts on very easy?
Well bosses are generally challenging if you go at a "normal" leveling pace. If you're breezing through them and find enjoyment from challenge, I guess you're getting less fun.

About class changes:
How many master seals are in the game? I already changed everyone's class once and I've got every carnage from those types. Now I have 5 more of them that I've found around the world. I want to change to the other classes for the carnages but I don't want to keep them like that. It's really lame that it uses a seal to change back to the previously unlocked class.

Also can someone give me a specific list of new game+ features? What's new and what things do I keep?

HawthorneKitty

About class changes:
How many master seals are in the game? I already changed everyone's class once and I've got every carnage from those types. Now I have 5 more of them that I've found around the world. I want to change to the other classes for the carnages but I don't want to keep them like that. It's really lame that it uses a seal to change back to the previously unlocked class.

Also can someone give me a specific list of new game+ features? What's new and what things do I keep?
17 Normally; otherwise there is a 1/256 from Hee-ho lottery or 3/256 from the dark Hee-ho lottery
You can carry over pretty much everything, you can pick and choose; only thing you always lose I think is the carnage-monster drops and key items. You lose everything but collectibles/costumes and records if you choose Lunatic. New stuff is 2 sidequests.

mclem

Epilogue spoilery query:

Is Tiki=Waifu anywhere in the epilogue? I've encountered a lot of other people who've been involved in the various mission storylines, but I couldn't find her

Beginning to really hate the absolute requirement of saving after every battle if you don't want to lose any progress. Haha, did you forget to save in the last half hour? SAVAGE ENEMY ENCOUNTER THAT WIPES YOUR WHOLE TEAM IN ONE ROUND FUCK YOU. Oh, did you complete one of those super-grindy Hee-Ho Mart requests just beforehand? DOUBLE FUCK YOU ENJOY GRINDING FOR DARK SHAMANS AGAIN BECAUSE YOUR TIME IS WORTHLESS TO US.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Beginning to really hate the absolute requirement of saving after every battle if you don't want to lose any progress. Haha, did you forget to save in the last half hour? SAVAGE ENEMY ENCOUNTER THAT WIPES YOUR WHOLE TEAM IN ONE ROUND FUCK YOU. Oh, did you complete one of those super-grindy Hee-Ho Mart requests just beforehand? DOUBLE FUCK YOU ENJOY GRINDING FOR DARK SHAMANS AGAIN BECAUSE YOUR TIME IS WORTHLESS TO US.

Savage enemies are no issue if you always have Smoke Machines to escape.

Makonero

Buy some smoke machines. I never died to a battle that I wanted to escape from.

smoke machines.

but i do feel your pain. i thought i had saved recently and decided to take on a savage enemy that was way too strong for me. it didnt end well and i was back in fortuna office. i didnt realize how much progress i had lost until i went to look for the dungeon... and i wasn't even in the same chapter anymore.

mclem

I never found Savage Enemies that bad? I'd generally be willing to fight them, only using a smoke machine if I wasn't on comfortable resources going into the battle. That said, while I'm generally a hoarder, I very much wasn't careful with resource usage on such a fight, I'd usually use my SP liberally.

Maybe it was due to having played on Hard, the Savage fights weren't as much of a step up from the normal battles?

I mean, yes, smoke machines if you're always committed to running (but sometimes you CAN take on a savage enemy encounter with relative ease, and sometimes they fuck you hard, it's frustrating that there's no room for error in judgement), but sometimes you can't even do that. The last time it happens, I was doing one of Aya's missions and it was the mission boss. How was I supposed to know level 34 enemies were way too high for me to take on? They wiped my whole team in one round after I stupidly tried to attack one to see how much damage I could do. Lost a half hour or progress. I mean, why not include a fucking "would you like to try that battle again" option at least? Or an autosave after you hand in a previous request/side quest/chapter? This just feels like the game wants to waste your time.

I never found Savage Enemies that bad? I'd generally be willing to fight them, only using a smoke machine if I wasn't on comfortable resources going into the battle. That said, while I'm generally a hoarder, I very much wasn't careful with resource usage on such a fight, I'd usually use my SP liberally.

Maybe it was due to having played on Hard, the Savage fights weren't as much of a step up from the normal battles?

I've never thought about hoarding SP, really. The game seems designed around sessions and SP use. And like I said above, sometimes savage encounters aren't much more difficult than normal battles, and sometimes they're hell. It seems like as soon as one of your party dies, you are very close to fucked because you're constantly locked in a cycle of reviving downed allies and you can't afford to lose turns attacking.

Rainy

Banned
Just beat the game on normal, took about 55 hours.

Man had to take some risks but beat the final boss, that thing was a bitch.

Anyway I really loved the game, like more than I thought I would. I became pretty attached to the characters and just loved the feeling of the game. I guess what I mean when I say that was that it was "happy," for a lack of a better word. I just got cheered up when I played, it was so colorful.

I felt that the dungeons looked pretty cool too. I enjoyed them more than Persona 4, but I'm sure Persona 5 will be even better.

The battle system just felt satisfying, especially when you got those long sessions, they look so cool. I do wish that you could skip sessions by pressing "B" or something though, it got pretty tedious towards the end of the game especially when you got to near 20-hit sessions.

The music was pretty damn good too, but that might be because I love J-Pop. I don't think they recorded full versions of all of the songs right? Regardless I've had the vocal selection on repeat for a while.

All in all might be my favorite game of the year, not sure if it outdoes Uncharted 4. I doubt they'll ever make a sequel considering this didn't sell well at all, but I can always hope!

SPCTRE

Don't they only give level prompts on very easy?
Well bosses are generally challenging if you go at a "normal" leveling pace. If you're breezing through them and find enjoyment from challenge, I guess you're getting less fun.
I'm not sure, maybe they're giving more prompts on Very Easy? Thanks either way, I found most bosses challenging so far, so I guess I must be on the right track, level-wise.

It's not like savage enemies are that common. Just save if you see one. If you get rekt and reload it won't even be there. There's no risk in taking one on.

Shin-chan

I think the game would probably be about 10 hours shorter if you could skip session animations lol.

How long is the final final dungeon? I just beat the first one of then last chapter and I'm wondering how long is left.

MOTHERFUCKING AUTOSAVE (or lack thereof)

Thanks game, I lost a couple hours of progress because there's no autosave, nor any savepoints like in Persona. I hate having to remember to save in the menu!

Why can't it at least save when you reach a portal? God dammit!

Stuart444

I'd just like to say Troll Itsuki is the best Itsuki.

(Chapter 4/Intermission):
"He's my long lost brother" along with the "We should be like that" to Touma were both great.

Thanks game, I lost a couple hours of progress because there's no autosave, nor any savepoints like in Persona. I hate having to remember to save in the menu!

It does auto-save before battles
on friendly (and easy I think) :p

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I always used portals as a sign of "okay, let's head back to form new weapons & skills, then save while I'm at it."

....though I won't lie, I had the experience of not remembering a game didn't have auto-save when I played another game in the same series that DID have it.

mclem

I've never thought about hoarding SP, really. The game seems designed around sessions and SP use.

Well, yes, but given the choice between those options, the choice I'd generally go for is to session for 'free' (okay, minimal MP cost), with only really going for an SP-triggered ability if I either needed to make a survival bid or if there was no session available from a general ability.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm rather surprised you never upped your SP gauge from 3 to 5, but I guess if it was any higher, it would've made for some broken battles.

I'd just like to say Troll Itsuki is the best Itsuki.

(Chapter 4/Intermission):
"He's my long lost brother" along with the "We should be like that" to Touma were both great.

It does auto-save before battles
on friendly (and easy I think) :p

That's kinda bullshit. Save-points shouldn't be dictated by difficulty.

I don't mind manual saving, if the game makes sure to remind me with visible points and such. Like Persona.

Javier

That's kinda bullshit. Save-points shouldn't be dictated by difficulty.

I don't mind manual saving, if the game makes sure to remind me with visible points and such. Like Persona.
I agree that the Save prompt should show up more often (like every time you finish a Side Quest).

However, I feel the game is considerate enough to remind you every now and then. "I feel a dangerous presence behind this door" can be easily interpreted as "NOW is a good time to save your game".

Thud

If you see a savage enemy your first reaction should be better save now.

An auto save after a battle would be nice, but save anywhere is okay.

Finally beat this at around 68 hours. Really great game, probably my favourite jrpg since the original Xenoblade on Wii. I didn't end up doing all the requests, but I did do all the side stories. I'm probably going to go back and do a Lunatic run at some point, maybe in a few months. Never got to do a session longer than 18 hits, is it even possible?

Ulysses 31

Finally beat this at around 68 hours. Really great game, probably my favourite jrpg since the original Xenoblade on Wii. I didn't end up doing all the requests, but I did do all the side stories. I'm probably going to go back and do a Lunatic run at some point, maybe in a few months. Never got to do a session longer than 18 hits, is it even possible?

Sessions with multiple Duo Art procs, I'd guess.

Astral Dog

I alsays save, save save save, remember and you wont have a problem.its annoying but can be done.

There was still three cases were i lost like 30 minutes of progress,though one was cimpletely my fault other the ligeramente went off.

Astral Dog

I always used portals as a sign of "okay, let's head back to form new weapons & skills, then save while I'm at it."

....though I won't lie, I had the experience of not remembering a game didn't have auto-save when I played another game in the same series that DID have it.
Fire Emblem Fates?

Top Bottom