• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters [OT] Love is kinda crazy with a spooky girl like you.

nynt9

Hmm, the combat is tough to get a handle on for me. I can't exactly predict what the ghosts will do and they just keep slipping past me. I try to use area attacks and whatnot but it's tough.

I caved and bought it.

I went to get my Code Name S.T.E.A.M. pre-order and the guy in front of me was taking forever! I started looking around and saw this game on the shelf. Before I knew it, I had spent $80 instead of $40. Thanks slow guy!

Dot-N-Run

I just wish that you could equip armor on new party members before you do the first battle with them, all of them die in 1-2 hits because they have such little hp.

Draxal

Hmm, the combat is tough to get a handle on for me. I can't exactly predict what the ghosts will do and they just keep slipping past me. I try to use area attacks and whatnot but it's tough.

Try to diversify your character weapon types. I find Mifune and Sengen to be the two party members you want in at all times (as their normal weapons hit everything).

okay - so it seems like this game is pretty good? :D

I'm enjoying it but it's a very weird game and it's not for everybody.

May pick up..usually not that interested in VN but this one seems interesting. Story is good I presume?

I'm up to chapter six right now, but I'll say the story is verry scooby dooish (which isn't an insult as I love Scooby doo). There's supposedly up to 13 chapters (that you have to unlock by using the main character's sixth sense in every chapter starting from 2). The chapters are very very short in scope.

For using the sixth sense, it's actually pretty to guess so far in chapters 3-5, but I had to replay chapter two too unlock that one.

Phototropic

Neo Member
I have just done the opening chapter and a side mission...but this seems pretty fantastic. Tracking down ghosts using equipment, collecting items, and leveling characters works for me.

So I've gotten through the first few chapters of this. It's ok. The VN elements aren't really anything special and the lack of voice acting really sticks out. The dialogue options are something that feels built to play with a guide, particularly the 6th sense choices you need to pick to see the real ending. The combat is some weird combination of Vandal Hearts 2 and a board game that I'm not sure I like very much. They don't explain some of the side options very well, so I have no idea what's going on with the card game or the training.

cj_iwakura

The voice acting is sparse, but enough for me to envision the characters in my head. It's obvious that was how they saved money, so more power to them. That was money better spent on the lovely visuals.

Draxal

So I've gotten through the first few chapters of this. It's ok. The VN elements aren't really anything special and the lack of voice acting really sticks out. The dialogue options are something that feels built to play with a guide, particularly the 6th sense choices you need to pick to see the real ending. The combat is some weird combination of Vandal Hearts 2 and a board game that I'm not sure I like very much. They don't explain some of the side options very well, so I have no idea what's going on with the card game or the training.

With training on the whiteboard it gives you passive skills (it explains the skills in the resume hit triangle on your char and pan to the right once or twice) and unlocks learning combat skills from training with other playable characters the first time you train with them. You also get items/weapons from training (it unlocked a weapon upgrade for Mifune with me). The most frustrating thing about this game so far is getting those weapon upgrades is a pain the ass as it seems to be completely rng so far.

The board game is just an alternate way to grind.

At around chapter 5 I found I had to grind doing requests (hold l and r shoulder button at the PC), and other than chapter 2 I found it really easy to get the sixth sense option so far.

The combat is nearly identical to vandal hearts 2, except vandal hearts 2 was very predictable, this game I don't fight it nearly as easy to predict.

The voice acting is sparse, but enough for me to envision the characters in my head. It's obvious that was how they saved money, so more power to them. That was money better spent on the lovely visuals.

I think the awakening style voice acting works here with the rather large cast of characters so far.

Scanna

I'm finding a spike in difficulty at chapter 9, am I the only one? I used to complete three random sidequests every chapter but now I'm grinding like crazy with the Same enemies over and over again...not liking it one bit. Plus, where do I get head armor???

Dot-N-Run

I'm finding a spike in difficulty at chapter 9, am I the only one? I used to complete three random sidequests every chapter but now I'm grinding like crazy with the Same enemies over and over again...not liking it one bit. Plus, where do I get head armor???

The store should be selling some head armor at that point, need to press R1 and L1 to move around to actually see them though. Also you can buy a pretty good headpiece for 40 or so Coopa points.

Dot-N-Run

What are coopa points?

You get them after battles, they can be traded in on the PC. Just scroll down on the homepage to the green button. It brings you to another website and on one of the tabs you can cash in your points for several different items.

QaaQer

Did the Japanese version come with a paper manual and do Japanese gamers read manuals? I ask because I was kind of lost until someone suggested reading the digital manual, lol. Kinda oldschool, expecting players to look at instructions.

Otherwise, enjoyable game with great visuals and soundtrack. It also has just the right amount of VO. I ended up getting both versions and ps3 is the better experience.

Scanna

You get them after battles, they can be traded in on the PC. Just scroll down on the homepage to the green button. It brings you to another website and on one of the tabs you can cash in your points for several different items.

wow, I keep finding out new things about the game. Like if you press Triangle in the office, you get to talk to the cat somehow. Does that unlock something?
Btw, after several minutes grinding I managed to barely beat that boss, moving onto chapter 10. Found the head armor...I just never used R1 and L1 inside the shop.
one thing I'm not enjoying too much is that everyday scenes like going to school or hang out with your friends are really sparse. It's a shame, cause the characters are interesting enough you'd love to see more of them. Persona for example manages to keep the story alive but it distracts you enough with other things.

Stanng243

wow, I keep finding out new things about the game. Like if you press Triangle in the office, you get to talk to the cat somehow. Does that unlock something?
Btw, after several minutes grinding I managed to barely beat that boss, moving onto chapter 10. Found the head armor...I just never used R1 and L1 inside the shop.
one thing I'm not enjoying too much is that everyday scenes like going to school or hang out with your friends are really sparse. It's a shame, cause the characters are interesting enough you'd love to see more of them. Persona for example manages to keep the story alive but it distracts you enough with other things.

yeah, thank you for this. I had no idea about the triangle button thing.

7 chapters in, I'm enjoying this game. Neither the narrative nor the combat are really anything special, but I like the television show style presentation and how laidback it is. The music is pretty good too.

Scanna

Finished it right now. Enjoyed my time with it but the second half of the game is weaker imo.

I feel I've missed out a lot (no romance for example) but I don't think I'll play a second run.

GLuigi

Same, Just got to Chapter 5 and I finally figured out how to use Shell points by just screwing around on the homepage.

If you were still wondering about the cat, talking to him makes him show up randomly in battles and act like an EMF scanner, but after a certain number of turns he leaves. Not very useful imo, since he always seems to pick the most useless spot to show up.

QaaQer

I'd never heard of this before but the trailers look pretty cool. This has been a stronger month for games than I expected!

It's a great hidden gem. It does expect the player to learn the systems on their own, so if you are easily frustrated it might not be for you. I really like it though, even the board game mini-game.

FDC1

I started the game this morning, got my ass kicked at the first fight, I don't understand how I'm supposed to predict where the boss is going next. I need to read the manual lol.

Stanng243

If anyone knows how to trigger your Sixth sense in 3,4 or 8, I'd appreciate a pm. I've missed it in those chapters out of the ones I've finished so far.

Stanng243

Sorry for the Double Post, but I can't understand how dead this OT is.

This game is great. I find the characters to be very likeable. The board game keeps kicking my ass. There's so many little things involved in this game. The story is decent, and the combat takes careful planning.

My favorite part is the way you interact with characters.
Someone mean to you? Stare at them with Sad Eyes
Someone pisses you off? Aggressively Sniff them.
You think that
Maid Ghost
is really hot? Romantically taste them.

Dot-N-Run

If anyone knows how to trigger your Sixth sense in 3,4 or 8, I'd appreciate a pm. I've missed it in those chapters out of the ones I've finished so far.

If you are still looking there is a Japanese site that lists the steps needed to trigger it in each chapter, along with a lot of other info. Google translate seems servicable enough to get the gist of it. The choices listed in pink unlock the 6th sense for each chapter.

The site is at http://h1g.jp/yugekitai/index.php

JPS Kai

Talking to the cat gives it a higher chance of appearing in the story mission for that chapter. I haven't seen a use for the cat beyond it being a mobile EMF scanner. You also get compatibility points for talking to your teammates (handy if you're going for a boy/girl ending) once per chapter.

No idea if I linked it before in the thread, but here's the review I put up for it. JustPushStart
Let me know if you have any questions on the game!

GLuigi

Im starting to see the cat being more useful in battle, I talked to it enough to have its sight range to be as big as a EMP Scanner 3, and he started to move around the map as well which i thought was pretty neat.

Talking to the cat gives it a higher chance of appearing in the story mission for that chapter. I haven't seen a use for the cat beyond it being a mobile EMF scanner. You also get compatibility points for talking to your teammates (handy if you're going for a boy/girl ending) once per chapter.

No idea if I linked it before in the thread, but here's the review I put up for it. JustPushStart
Let me know if you have any questions on the game!

One of my conversations with Sengen mentioned that the cat also has something to do with giving you a higher chance of finishing a ghost off. I'm not sure if that translates to having an attack boost or a higher critical chance.

I finished it. I didn't particularly care for how the game doesn't give you an opportunity to save in the final chapter and then forces a party on you. I had a level 10 character put on my team for the final battle. Thank god stat buffs stack infinitely and are pretty broken. I spent a few turns buffing and even enemies 20 levels higher were doing 1 damage.

I enjoyed the game though. I even warmed up to the combat later in game as setting traps became more interesting and once I unlocked eagle eye, I never had to worry about detection ever again.

So... It's been a week now, and Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters is still literally impossible to purchase on Vita (digitally) in Europe because SCEE doesn't care enough to fix the store page.

Search on the Vita itself and you'll just get a gameplay trailer. Search through the web store and there's no purchase option for the Vita version (PS3's fine though).

bHi1ICR.png

PS3

NWUMOfn.png

Vita

NISA must be fucking fuming by now.

Shizuka

So... It's been a week now, and Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters is still literally impossible to purchase on Vita (digitally) in Europe because SCEE doesn't care enough to fix the store page.

Search on the Vita itself and you'll just get a gameplay trailer. Search through the web store and there's no purchase option for the Vita version (PS3's fine though).

NISA must be fucking fuming by now.

I don't know, is NISA aware of that? I mean, if anyone is contacting SCEE to get it fixed, it'd be NISA.

Shizuka

wait.. so $31.99 was a limited time price?

Every Aksys game has a first week discount on PSN. It happened with every Aksys game for the past year or so. Sometimes the discount is even bigger for PS+, like what happened with XBlaze last year. After the first week, it's up to the MSRP of $39.99.

Short answer: yes.

MLH

I'm guessing this game must have bombed, not even GAF are talking much about it.

I caved in and bought it yesterday so it should arrive in time for the weekend. I'm somewhat excited, hoping to be surprised but other's impressions have been rather muted so far. Just wanted to support Aksys localisation & NISA Europe publishing.

wilflare

Every Aksys game has a first week discount on PSN. It happened with every Aksys game for the past year or so. Sometimes the discount is even bigger for PS+, like what happened with XBlaze last year. After the first week, it's up to the MSRP of $39.99.

Short answer: yes.

:( guess I'll have to wait for a sale on this

cj_iwakura

This girl is probably the most despicable, outright nasty female protagonist I can recall in recent memory. She is just flagrantly insulting and abrasive to everyone.

Tapejara

Going to start this up soon, just wondering if fanservice is anything I need to worry about? Aksys doesn't seem to localize many fanservice heavy titles, but I'll be around family when I'm playing and would rather be on the safe side.

cj_iwakura

Going to start this up soon, just wondering if fanservice is anything I need to worry about? Aksys doesn't seem to localize many fanservice heavy titles, but I'll be around family when I'm playing and would rather be on the safe side.

Not that I've seen. This seems to be very straight forward.

Jintor

I didn't know I wanted this. I'll keep an eye out for an EU vita sale (is it available here? I'll check the op)

Top Bottom