• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Brady teams up with anti-science quack who sold snake-oil to cancer patients

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Tom Brady's personal guru is a quack who sold supplements he claimed could cure cancer and "concussion prevention" medicine to football players, among other things. This whole article should be read:

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2015/10/09/tom-brady-alex-guerrero-neurosafe/

At his California clinic, Dr. Guerrero had been testing a nutritional supplement that—he claimed, according to affidavits filed in federal court—produced miraculous results. He said he’d conducted “clinical studies” of 200 patients who’d been diagnosed as terminally ill. They were suffering from ailments such as cancer, AIDS, multiple sclerosis, and Parkinson’s disease. And eight years later, all but eight had survived.

Those weren’t the only extraordinary claims Dr. Guerrero made. He also “promoted the product as, among other things, an effective treatment, cure, and preventative for cancer, heart disease, arthritis, and diabetes, and as a means of achieving substantial weight loss of up to 80 pounds in 8 months,” according to a complaint filed by the Federal Trade Commission. In addition, the FTC noted, Guerrero and his associates “claimed that Supreme Greens can be taken safely by pregnant women, children—including children as young as one year old—and any person taking any type of medication.”

If anyone cared to look closely, however, there were a couple of problems with Dr. Alejandro Guerrero’s claims. First, he wasn’t a doctor of any kind—not a medical doctor, as he admitted in the infomercial—or a doctor of Oriental medicine, as he claimed to business associates, according to a sworn affidavit. The FTC would eventually bar Guerrero from ever again referring to himself as a doctor. In truth, Guerrero’s degree was a master’s in Chinese medicine from a college in California that no longer exists.

The other problem, of course, was that Alejandro Guerrero’s Supreme Greens was a sham. Total nonsense. Modern-day snake oil. “This is just out and out quackery,” says Barrie Cassileth, a bona-fide PhD in medical sociology and the founder of the Integrative Medicine Service at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, who helped the FTC investigate Supreme Greens.

In October 2005, the FTC announced a settlement with Guerrero. Court documents show that Guerrero was ordered to pay a $65,000 fine or hand over the title to his 2004 Cadillac Escalade. More important, the agency barred him from promoting Supreme Greens or “any substantially similar product” as an effective treatment, cure, or preventative for cancer, heart disease, diabetes, or any other disease. Multiple attempts to reach Guerrero were unsuccessful. An employee at TB12 said that Guerrero was not available Friday and requested an email, but did not respond to several follow-up attempts for comment. A Utah-based attorney who represented Guerrero was also not immediately available.

The FTC also prohibited Guerrero from passing himself off as a doctor and set strict parameters for what he could and could not say regarding any food or dietary supplements. In some cases, the FTC limits its enforcement to a period of years. In Guerrero’s case, though, it was a lifetime ban: He was forced to promise, in essence, never to do it again.

Spoiler alert: He did it again. Almost a decade later, the FTC discovered, Guerrero was hawking a new miracle product—a drink he claimed could prevent concussions. And this time, Guerrero would have a better pitchman than the “Dr. Guerrero” he’d played on television. He claimed to have Tom Brady—the greatest quarterback who ever lived, who by then was Guerrero’s new best friend.

Brady and Guerrero are not merely inseparable; they are now also business partners in TB12, LLC, which has a sports therapy center headquartered at Patriot Place next door to Gillette Stadium. Over the past year, major profiles in Sports Illustrated and the New York Times magazine have focused on the unique relationship between Brady and Guerrero, without even hinting at Guerrero’s checkered past. As Guerrero continues to be monitored by the FTC under his lifetime ban, TB12 will likely be under a microscope to back up claims about the extraordinary training regimen Guerrero has sold Brady—and which Brady and Guerrero are now selling to the world.

Already, the Brady-Guerrero venture has produced a major misstep—one that brought the FTC storming back into Guerrero’s life. Though Guerrero had promised the FTC never to make outrageous claims about his supplements, by 2011 he had a new company, 6 Degree Nutrition, and a new miracle potion. Introduced at a time when NFL players, in particular, had become hyper-aware of the effects of head injuries, it was called NeuroSafe—a “seatbelt for your brain” that promised to protect users “from the consequences of sports-related traumatic brain injury.” The label boasted that the product was “Powered by TB12.” Guerrero, the snake-oil salesman, was back in business.

NeuroSafe-Tom-Brady.png

And then this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...ke-oil-salesman--alex-guerrero-174210678.html

Brady skirted around the issue of Guerrero's so-called "cancer quackery" — a $40 million a year business that can prevent patients from getting proper treatment until it's too late, according to Boston magazine — and the quarterback instead focused on things like: "We believe that Frosted Flakes is a food."

“You’ll probably go out and drink Coca-Cola and think, ‘Oh, yeah, that’s no problem.’ Why? Because they pay lots of money for advertisements to think that you should drink Coca-Cola for a living? No, I totally disagree with that. And when people do that, I think that’s quackery. And the fact that they can sell that to kids? I mean, that’s poison for kids. But they keep doing it. And obviously you guys may not have a comment on that because maybe that’s what your belief system is. So, you do whatever you want, you live the life you want, and what I’m trying to provide for athletes and for people and all the clients that we have that come in is a different way of thinking, a different way of methods.”

Does anybody actually believe Coca-Cola is good for you? And does anyone believe this besides Brady:

“It kills me to see all these pitchers having Tommy John surgery, knowing that could be avoided. Hamstring pulls and groin injuries, so many of these things that I just shake my head and I go, I can’t believe that this still happens in today’s day and age. That’s why Alex and I started TB12, because I felt based on the care that I received over 10 years, this is what my calling will be after football, is to educate people, and what it really takes.”

Send me a "Make America Great Again" hat if old.

Athletes are known to buy into random shit that they can ritualize and put on a pedestal.

Remember those magnet bracelets that people bought to the tune of millions upon millions of dollars spent to "improve blood flow" or some shit? Not the first nor the last to jump into quack science and if they feel like it's working for them, they'll keep doing it. Even if it really isn't.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I thought this was going to be about Dr. Oz.

Tom was probably influenced by Giselle. She's a naturalist. Her last kid was a water birth in her tub at her house. Tom just tried to do everything he can to stay healthy, but he should be smart enough to know BS when he sees it. Shame

He oughtta team up with Russel Wilson and get some of that special water.

This is sort of thing happens all the time in the NFL. Anyone remember Ray Lewis's deer antler spray?

As long as there aren't any PEDs in the concoction, I'm cool with Brady drinking his grass shakes or whatever.

As an FTC employee who works against this kind of shit, I can tell you that easily the most frustrating part of my job is knowing that these shit heels will be at it again almost as soon as we shut them down. Not the first time, won't be the last.

hom3land

He's from California.. Of course he's into alternative medicine.

And I hope he continues because he's killing it this year.

Went back home last week and ended up at patriots place for lunch and was surprised to see this

7C0F8gd.jpg

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I have this magic moonstone here that prevents me from getting pregnant. I've had sex with at least a dozen of girls and so far it totally worked and I never got pregnant from it.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Unfortunate.

My guess is brady is not a big expert on science and modern medicine.

Hopefully with this backlash he at least moves on.

Id be surprised if he was doing this just for the money. Dude's rich and has taken pay cuts to allow pats to get better players.

NeOak

He's from California.. Of course he's into alternative medicine.

And I hope he continues because he's killing it this year.

Went back home last week and ended up at patriots place for lunch and was surprised to see this

7C0F8gd.jpg
AYYYYYY LMAO

Omega

Banned
All this salt.

Everyone just mad their qb isn't half as good as Brady unless you're a packers fan

Which most people in this thread arent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom