• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Brady teams up with anti-science quack who sold snake-oil to cancer patients

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paches

I doubt he actually buys into it full stop. It's like Uggs. He's just using his star power/celebrity to make business decisions that will secure him and his family for the next 100 years.

Just like a true New England Blue Blood.

I would agree with you there, but he is a Trump supporter, so it is conceivable he believes.

mnannola

I just love when celebrities that have no medical or scientific training volunteer their medical and scientific advice that has no basis in reality.

vikki

I doubt he actually buys into it full stop. It's like Uggs. He's just using his star power/celebrity to make business decisions that will secure him and his family for the next 100 years.

I don't doubt that he could be using his star power to sell garbage I'm just not sold on the idea that he hasn't bought into it himself. He may be impressionable.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

He could partner with anyone in this venture, he is choosing to partner with a known conman who could bring down the whole business due to his past and existing court orders. If he doesn't believe in it, why would he take that risk?

Milchjon

If only there was a quack medicine that could make me look like this

tom-brady-football-headshot-photo.jpg

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Article says he's been basically best friends with this guy for years at this point (he's godfather to Brady's son). Guerrero also controls every calorie that goes into Brady's body apparently among a number of other aspects of his life.

I'd say that Brady embraces it 100%

Milchjon

I'm pretty sure Brady believes that stuff fully.

He's not alone on that shit. Just look at the list in the article or Wussle.

[Guerrero] was tending to players all over the country —Kansas City, San Diego, Cleveland, and Indianapolis.

I'm pretty sure you have to be somewhat crazy to do what NFL players and coaches do daily.

I think apart from the concussion stuff, the current iteration sounds mostly benign. Not in any way worse than the average internet health discussion.

Not supporting it, still.

Sanjuro

Article says he's been basically best friends with this guy for years at this point (he's godfather to Brady's son). Guerrero also controls every calorie that goes into Brady's body apparently among a number of other aspects of his life.

Lie, Cheat, Steal IS the Guerrero family mantra.

Aah, I missed that ~5 post dead thread. Meanwhile, weekly Tom-Brady-is-Scum-for-doing-nothing thread is 150 posts.

Wait that is what you read? You didn't see the part about the known conman, the court injunctions, the brain seat belt? You read 'Tom Brady tells kids not to drink soda'.

Pretty sure the latest article is based off of his interview yesterday where he opened up about his beliefs on food/health issues and basically nothing else:

These were the things Brady actually said in the interview...

“You’ll probably go out and drink Coca-Cola and think, ‘Oh, yeah, that’s no problem.’ Why? Because they pay lots of money for advertisements to think that you should drink Coca-Cola for a living? No, I totally disagree with that. And when people do that, I think that’s quackery. And the fact that they can sell that to kids? I mean, that’s poison for kids. But they keep doing it. And obviously you guys may not have a comment on that because maybe that’s what your belief system is. So, you do whatever you want, you live the life you want, and what I’m trying to provide for athletes and for people and all the clients that we have that come in is a different way of thinking, a different way of methods.”

That Brady's own "doctor" or life coach or whoever he is is a quack does not associate Brady to this guy making anti-science, pro-quack-medicine things 10+ years ago. It's such a stretch to associate Brady with that when his relationship with this guy is clearly about sports training and keeping your body in shape, which Brady is incidentally in the best athletic shape of his career over the last 3 - 5 years, right when his body should be breaking down. I don't think that Brady has publicly advocated for this guy's quack-medicine for things like alzheimers or cancer, or any of the things that got him in trouble 15 years ago with the FTC. That Brady endorses his life style coaching isn't a surprise, in interviews he credits a lot of his fitness to this doctor/trainer/life-coach or whoever he is.

His relationship with this doctor, though, always made me worry about potential doping/steroid charges coming up with Brady because I don't trust doctors outside of the NFL purview and I've always worried this guy would give Brady something claiming it's a supplement and then it turns out it's a banned substance.

I would agree with you there, but he is a Trump supporter, so it is conceivable he believes.

Another thing, Brady isn't a trump supporter that we know of. He is friends with Trump and Trump supported him publicly when Brady was having his feet held over the coals this off-season... ANd so when asked in a locker-room interview what he thought of Trump running for president, he said, "That'd be great, there'd be a putting green at the white house," clearly not being serious.

I don't doubt that he could be using his star power to sell garbage I'm just not sold on the idea that he hasn't bought into it himself. He may be impressionable.

He could partner with anyone in this venture, he is choosing to partner with a known conman who could bring down the whole business due to his past and existing court orders. If he doesn't believe in it, why would he take that risk?

I read both articles. I'm just trying to reason what is going through Brady's head. Someone had to have influenced him one way or another that he thought it would be a smart business decision somehow. I don't believe he made a move like this without an agent or accountant or lawyer telling him who Alex Guerrero was/is.

But these quotes:

"That was part of his past when I met him. Since then, we've just had a great relationship. We see eye to eye on a lot of things, and it's a privilege to work with him. It really is. I wouldn't be playing today if it weren't for what he's been able to accomplish with me and the education process that I've gone through — learning how to take care of myself. So much of it is being proactive. It's not waiting to get sick. It's not waiting to get injured."

"I'm my own best advertising."

"So, it’s interesting, because I’ve chosen a different approach, and that approach works for me. That’s what I want to try to provide to athletes who maybe want to take a different approach, too.”

"When you say, 'Wow, this sounds like quackery,' there are a lot of things I see on a daily basis in Western medicine that I think, 'Wow, why would they ever do that? That is crazy."

And I picture this guy:

__Hi_Everybody___by_The_Simpsons_Club.jpg

giphy.gif

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Neurosafe was only a few years ago and Guerrero is still pushing the same acid-alkaline methodology on Brady and others that he did when he was promoting Supreme Greens as a cancer cure. It's the same junk science at the core of it all.

Also, Guerrero is Brady's son's godfather and they entered into a joint business venture together so I'd say their relationship is a bit deeper than just sports training.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
As an FTC employee who works against this kind of shit, I can tell you that easily the most frustrating part of my job is knowing that these shit heels will be at it again almost as soon as we shut them down. Not the first time, won't be the last.

You do important work. Kudos!

MechDX

Everyone so quick to jump on the Tom hate train.

Greatest QB of this generation
Fiercest competitor on the field
Rugged good looks
Just wins football games

Hate all you want but these facts can not be denied.

moggio

Banned

Rugged good looks
Just wins football games

Also insufferable thundercunt it seems.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Rugged good looks
Just wins football games

Empowering quacks diminishes all that.

Chichikov

Chichikov Public Service Announcements presents:

The correct way of being a sports fan -
I had to root for Chris Nilan as a Bruin.
I'm ok with this.

The wrong way -

Rugged good looks
Just wins football games

Listen up kidos, you follow sport long enough (or really, any time at all) you're going to end up rooting for some terrible terrible human beings, that's just a fact of life. Roll with it, we all been there, no need to embarrass yourselves. I mean, there is Bill Simmons' twitter feed if anyone on the internet is really yearning for that.

Rugged good looks
Just wins football games

Yet peddling this snake oil to unknowing consumers is the epitome of douchebaggery.

Also, 3 out of those 4 traits are related to a game that children play.

Siegcram

Yet peddling this snake oil to unknowing consumers is the epitome of douchebaggery.

Also, 3 out of those 4 traits are related to a game that children play.
And 2 of those aren't remotely facts. But there's little point in arguing with delusional sports fans.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis

Rugged good looks
Just wins football games

sigh I want the old Mech back.

vikki

Rugged good looks
Just wins football games

And mentor to future HOFers, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallet, and Brandon Routh.

eznark

Banned

Rugged good looks
Just wins football games

But is he clearly better than Gabbert?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Mech is a Texans fan undergoing intensive treatment after dealing with the PTSD associated with being a Houston sports fan. Please understand.

Once you escape the New England filter, you'll quickly discover that Tom Brady is just a creep like many other aloof, high-profile athletes. His current wife is finally figuring this out now, just like his ex-Baby Momma did years ago.

Halcyon

Once you escape the New England filter, you'll quickly discover that Tom Brady is just a creep like many other aloof, high-profile athletes. His current wife is finally figuring this out now, just like his ex-Baby Momma did years ago.

I didn't know Greg Hardy was on NeoGaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom