• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's The Division |OT 3| Crafted From 150 OT 2’s

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Had my best round of Survival yet just now. Ended up with a score of 16k+, new high score. I got put in a server with a bunch of idiots I guess. Sooooo many people died. Seemed like every corner I turned I saw glorious loot lighting up. In my last stop before crafting the masks to get to the DZ I had 40-50+ of pretty much every material. Was able to waltz into the DZ, grab one div tech box, and build my guns and all the armor. Ran around and took out 8 or 9 named enemies. Killed close to 200 NPC's in total IIRC. Extracted with only 4 minutes left on my virus time, yet was still first to extract. I think only two other agents even made it to the DZ. I thought maybe with a higher score I'd get more bonus caches but nah, same 11 as usual. Same shit from those 11 as usual.

If I queue into a solo PVP, what are the odds I get placed with a bunch of groups? Also, I survived in the DZ so long, it became morning. Never saw that before.

Hah! That's cool. Haven't seen that either.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
I've run a few Lex's and just gave up lol. No patience to keep doing the same mission over and over. Screw that. I'll just stick to playing Survival time and time again. Curiously there's still something new I find everytime I have a run.

I've run a few Lex's and just gave up lol. No patience to keep doing the same mission over and over. Screw that. I'll just stick to playing Survival time and time again. Curiously there's still something new I find everytime I have a run.

I'm getting a bit frustrated trying to acquire Ferro's mask after 75-100 Napalm runs on PC. I can solo it in about 10 minutes which I think is more effective (time wise) than doing it with a group of four simply due to the scaling of the sheer number of enemies.

I'm all for gear being rare but not like this. Massive has some decisions to make regarding these Named Gear items as they cannot expect players to have to acquire them again when/if gear score increases with the current drop rate. I really doubt they would leave them behind either considering they gave us zero new content to even use them on.

On PC I've gotten three Barret's chest (all early on after 1.5 was released), MC Skull gloves, and the Ninja backpack.

On Xbox One I've only gotten Ferro's mask and that was from a Roaming Boss.

I don't know if a Three of Coins (from Destiny) like mechanic needs to be introduced where you can increase your chances of having a Named piece drop but something needs to be adjusted.

I'm up to about 80M credits, I guess that's something.

lawtowler

Been trying to log on for the past 2-3 days and every time I try I get stuck at the "Connecting" screen forever. Have tried closing app, restarting, logging in to account via browser to make sure my account is fine etc... No joy. Any suggestions? Looking around online it seems to be a common issue but nobody has a fix

they are being stingy with the mods i see. nothing higher than the ones i have now 264 fir. 278 armor (4) 266 sta. 274 armor (5)....i try to craft everyday i log on and see if i can get any high than these but nope

I wouldn't worry about buying or crafting mods at this point. With 1.6 they are expected to rework the armor stat and will probably make all the currents mods and rolls useless.

Kalamari

Ran Lexington with a group of Alphas last night, enemies hardly made it out of the doorway.

The Barrett's struggle is real.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ran Lexington with a group of Alphas last night, enemies hardly made it out of the doorway.

The Barrett's struggle is real.

I was lvl 18 playing with a friend and his high end buddies joined up and took me along for a first ever run of Lexington. All I had to do was hide carefully and take occasional shots, keep up the radar ping, and gained 3 levels, a ton of lvl 30 loot and got a preview of the end game. People really do have it on automatic at this point.

Truant

How is the game these days? I've been hearing good things, and I need a good podcast game with loot. My biggest gripes were the generic loot and the bullet sponge enemies. Any updates on these issues?

Insane Metal

Gold Member
How is the game these days? I've been hearing good things, and I need a good podcast game with loot. My biggest gripes were the generic loot and the bullet sponge enemies. Any updates on these issues?

The enemies are as tough as their level allows them to. The time to kill is now much lower than before, but since this is an RPG, higher level mobs still require some work to be killed.

Loot has been improved greatly, they drop almost everywhere now.

Truant

The enemies are as tough as their level allows them to. The time to kill is now much lower than before, but since this is an RPG, higher level mobs still require some work to be killed.

Loot has been improved greatly, they drop almost everywhere now.

This is all I need to hear!

GazzaGSi

As insane metal said, time to kill is reduced and loot drops alot more frequently, even from the red bar trash mobs that roam the streets.

Quick example, solo challenging underground WT5 so level 34 enemies:

https://youtu.be/Kv2WaXOtEzc

And 4 pieces from the boss (whether it's worthwhile loot is purely down to the RNG).

Obviously in a group the npcs have more health so take abit longer to put down but nothing like the 1.3 or before days.

Bolivar687

Banned
This is all I need to hear!

Just to add to IM's post, they purposefully tweaked the balancing with patch 1.4 for the game to play more like a shooter instead of getting bogged down with bullet sponges. The endgame high end equipment often have bonuses to deal extra damage to elites and armored enemies so you're no longer burning through all your ammo just to get through each encounter.

They now scale the world to your level and gear score, so exploring the world and hunting down remaining collectibles and side missions is a viable way to farm. They also added challenging daily and weekly high value target encounters which drop great loot and endgame currency. There's a lot more customization and build strategy with endgame gear sets you can mix and match to unlock different bonuses. With Incursions and the Survival/Underground expansions there's a strong variety of endgame activities, which was my only real gripe with the base game. The player base is also very healthy on PC.

Wolfe

I'll have to get my 192 GS, season pass holder (lost interest before UG hit lol T_T) self back into this game to see how it's changed at some point.

EL CUCO

Ran into a dude in DZ. I inititated teh PVP ritual by dancing around him and firing some warning shota. He accepted my challenge and we proceeded to 1v1 for the next 30 min or so. Then his boys rolled up, they invited me to their group and we went Manhunt the rest of the morning.

DZ can really be a mixed bag, but its a very unique and enjoyable experience when everything clicks.

Truant

Just to add to IM's post, they purposefully tweaked the balancing with patch 1.4 for the game to play more like a shooter instead of getting bogged down with bullet sponges. The endgame high end equipment often have bonuses to deal extra damage to elites and armored enemies so you're no longer burning through all your ammo just to get through each encounter.

They now scale the world to your level and gear score, so exploring the world and hunting down remaining collectibles and side missions is a viable way to farm. They also added challenging daily and weekly high value target encounters which drop great loot and endgame currency. There's a lot more customization and build strategy with endgame gear sets you can mix and match to unlock different bonuses. With Incursions and the Survival/Underground expansions there's a strong variety of endgame activities, which was my only real gripe with the base game. The player base is also very healthy on PC.

Sounds good. The combat feels a lot better now that the enemies go down faster, but I'm basically dead in two shots now. It feels like I'm playing on very hard or something. Most enemies my level down me in seconds unless I'm in cover. I remember the game being more lenient in this regard. I suspect my armor rating is very low since I'm carrying launch gear (last played back in march). Any ideas how to get geared up to actually survive missions?

Bolivar687

Banned
Sounds good. The combat feels a lot better now that the enemies go down faster, but I'm basically dead in two shots now. It feels like I'm playing on very hard or something. Most enemies my level down me in seconds unless I'm in cover. I remember the game being more lenient in this regard. I suspect my armor rating is very low since I'm carrying launch gear (last played back in march). Any ideas how to get geared up to actually survive missions?

We actually heard similtar sentiments from a returning player a few pages back. Try to prioritize bonus armor and health items, the current meta is to max out stamina. I've actually noticed this myself a bit even in the endgame on builds where I dont prioritize stamina. You also might not be coming back with equipment enemies would normally drop at your level right now.

Truant

We actually heard similtar sentiments from a returning player a few pages back. Try to prioritize bonus armor and health items, the current meta is to max out stamina. I've actually noticed this myself a bit even in the endgame on builds where I dont prioritize stamina. You also might not be coming back with equipment enemies would normally drop at your level right now.

Yup, my gear is the same as it was when I quit playing in March 2016.

BFIB

Just fired this back up since putting it down last August. I'm so far out of the loop, I just started over. Overall, I like what I'm seeing so far. Less bullet sponge. I also always liked the atmosphere this game provides. Just strolling late night, then a snowstorm hits, good stuff.

Wallach

What level are you? There's a pretty nasty level scaling bug in the level 20-25 range. That was what was fucking me over when I came back to the game in that level range.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Did a few rounds of solo survival PVP tonight. It was pretty fun. Made it into the DZ the first time, was fighting some dudes, a guy runs up behind me and unloads on me and I was dead before I could do anything. That type of shit happens a lot in the DZ but at least there you just lose some potential loot and some DZ bullshit. It really sucks here because that could be over an hour lost. I don't think my gear was any good though, I'd just made it to the DZ.

Second match I got into the DZ with better gear and a lot of materials. Killed three other agents before going into the DZ, one was just standing there letting NPC's kill him, maybe batteries died idk. The other two tried to kill me but I killed them until they died from it. I baited the last guy into my grenade blast and it instantly killed him. Anyway I go to extract and two other agents show up, teamed up somehow in a solo queue which is lame. I downed them each two times but eventually ran out of medpacks and they killed me. I had a few survival caches on me.

Last one I don't think I killed any agents. Made it into the DZ, was able to grab 5 survival caches before I ever even saw another agent. I was taking out the landmark with the big tanker flamer guy and I thought "hmm.. better check behind me" and I did it just in time as yep, some bitch was trying to sneak up behind me for the kill. I booked it across the street and he did down me as I was low on health from the NPC's but I revived and ran. He either gave up or I lost him. He was shooting at me as I ran down an alley, his DPS but have been shit. I regret not waiting around the corner and annihilating him. I extracted first in this game. Got something called a Ninja Bag or some shit. Seems.. ok I guess if you play in the DZ a lot, which I do not.

PVP survival is pretty good. I try to explore the less popular areas of the map so I don't run into any agents. If I queue solo, are the other players not always solo as well? I ran into that team in the second match who were teamed up, and in the last game there was a two man team with the word "cityxX" in their gamertags (both killed by hunter lollolol) is this by design or are people like.. grouping up in game after it loads?

So what's the consensus on the easiest extraction point to deal with multiple hunters? Anytime I get to an extraction point with in survival with a friend, we get wrecked. Also, what makes the screen glitch out and get wiggly? Does that happen when your infection timer gets low? When ever the hunters come in, my screen seems to be a pile of garbage just lending to the panic and chaos.

Just got a beautifully rolled Caduceus (22% EAD, high base damage, Destructive, Competent, and Determined [Free]) and another pair of Skulls MC gloves from a single Roaming Boss run.

I quite enjoy walking/running to each Roaming Boss with minor encounters in between as you get tons of regular high-end/gear set drops from those random encounters and then 15 chances at Named gear drops with guaranteed high-end and/or gear set drops from said bosses.

Anyone starting a new character and want to group up this week? I just bought it for PC, going from PS4 and my god, the visual difference is stunning.

uPlay- Square_Triangle

EL CUCO

Question are Incursions still aimed for 4 people or does enemy count differ if only 2 people in squad?
Incursions are balanced for 4 people.

Speaking of Incursions, I actually completed Dragons Nest with MM last night. I did have to turn my mic on, since only one other guy had one lol
______

Can Ferro's mask drop from Field Cache?

EL CUCO

Yes, think that's why the new Warren gate farm is so popular as you're getting 20+ caches an hour. All named pieces have a chance from proficiency caches.
Sweet. I've had TERRIBLE luck with Barret's chest. Hopefully Ferro will be kinder to me.

GazzaGSi

Sweet. I've had TERRIBLE luck with Barret's chest. Hopefully Ferro will be kinder to me.

I've had 4 or 5 now, next time you're on if I see you're farming Lex I'll join so if I get it you can have it. Will be helpful for me as I have about 14 bird bucks left lol

I've had zero luck with Joe Ferro himself in the Napalm mission in trying to get the mask on PC but it did drop for me from a Roaming Boss on Xbox One.

I've ran the Napalm mission more times than I care to admit which has been nothing but a lesson in frustration (not the mission itself but rather the lack of the prize) so I will probably stick to Roaming Boss runs with hopes of it dropping.

Question are Incursions still aimed for 4 people or does enemy count differ if only 2 people in squad?

Yes they are. But incursion matchmaking is mostly dead now. Chances of finding a pickup group are super low, and even if you find a group the chance of players knowing what to do or use a mic are very slim.

Unless you have a pre made team don't really bother. Especially on ps4 where the player base has dropped the most.

Also Massive took out the number one incentive to run incursions: targeted loot drops, where you could farm them for specific gear sets. Another reason why no one plays them any more.

That said if any new ps4 players want to try the incursions I'm happy to help out and run them.

PSN: ruthlesbarbarian

Yes they are. But incursion matchmaking is mostly dead now. Chances of finding a pickup group are super low, and even if you find a group the chance of players knowing what to do or use a mic are very slim.

Unless you have a pre made team don't really bother. Especially on ps4 where the player base has dropped the most.

Also Massive took out the number one incentive to run incursions: targeted loot drops, where you could farm them for specific gear sets. Another reason why no one plays them any more.

That said if any new ps4 players want to try the incursions I'm happy to help out and run them.

PSN: ruthlesbarbarian

Pretty sure the Incursion drops/rewards are still weighted towards their corresponding Gear Sets just not as heavily as they once were.

So which incursion can I farm for the D3-FNC set?
e5YuU.gif

So which incursion can I farm for the D3-FNC set?
e5YuU.gif

The one that they didn't make for the Survival expansion.

There is enough variety of loot rewards and ways to get loot that simply playing the game should get you plenty of D3-FNC gear, at least I get plenty of that particular set through Underground Ops, Challenging missions, HVT's, Roaming Bosses, random mob drops, DZ, etc where having particular activities only drop certain sets seems unnecessary outside of the Named high-end gear (considering some of it comes from specific bosses) which makes sense other than it being at a far too low drop-rate.

Not to mention the Special Equipment Vendor generally sells a D3-FNC piece or two per week.

My variety is limited to alphabridge, lone star and nomad.

RNG BABY!

Special Equipment Vendor has decent rolled D3-FNC gloves (a little low in the armor department). Roll off LMG bonus damage for SMG and there you go.

Your RNG is unfortunate as I sell a ton of the D3-FNC set gear due to having no need for it after getting enough for a strong build. That said, I quickly started to get just as bored with the D3-FNC set as I did with the Alpha set due to mainly being reduced to one weapon/game mechanic.

Man, I've gotten atleast 5 or 6 of each piece from just playing the game. I think I've filled my stash about 3 different times with just Gears sets simply from farming Lex and Field Cache.

Special Equipment Vendor has decent rolled D3-FNC gloves (a little low in the armor department). Roll off LMG bonus damage for SMG and there you go.

Your RNG is unfortunate as I sell a ton of the D3-FNC set gear due to having no need for it after getting enough for a strong build. That said, I quickly started to get just as bored with the D3-FNC set as I did with the Alpha set due to mainly being reduced to one weapon/game mechanic.

I have a D3-FNC build, the point is there is no reliable way to farm for better rolled gear for a particular set. I can solo CM lex in under 10 mins with mine so pretty happy with what I have but don't really have anything to play for. I hope they change things up with 1.6 because the pve desperately needs more content.

I have a D3-FNC build, the point is there is no reliable way to farm for better rolled gear for a particular set. I can solo CM lex in under 10 mins with mine so pretty happy with what I have but don't really have anything to play for. I hope they change things up with 1.6 because the pve desperately needs more content.

The 1.6 Update/The Last Stand expansion better bring some significant and quality PvE options or I'll have little incentive to reacquire gear/create new builds or continue playing the game at all even though as much as I've complained about it (I think we all have) I really enjoy playing it overall.

Even though I continue to want gear that I don't have or better gear I also ask myself "why do I want it?" as there is literally nothing new to do with it. The desire to get a specific piece to drop is really all there is, once it does drop I will probably play the game less. Same thing happens with Destiny in my experience and it will continue to happen until these types of games give you something to strive for once you have all the gear and the build you want, whether it be leaderboards and increasingly difficult and never-ending horde/firefight/ attack&defend type game modes I don't know but there needs to be something even beyond the supposed end-game activities.

Freeman76

I managed to survive for an hour in Survival and never found enough material to craft the mask needed to enter the DZ. Any tips?

GazzaGSi

So I tried the Warrington cheese twice for 15 minute intervals each, 7 proficiency caches each and a empty bag to full bag (67 items) both times.

Getting a proficiency cache every 1 minute 40.

Doubt I'll do it again as I don't need anything and after 10 minutes it's mind numbing but still nice seeing all the loot, weapon kits and materials there :)

I managed to survive for an hour in Survival and never found enough material to craft the mask needed to enter the DZ. Any tips?

Drink water/soda so you can see items better and behind cover. All items have their own specific boxes: fabric is a yellow square box, tools red metal case, electronics rectangle black box and weapons parts are black gym bags, and so on..

There are also maps out now which show where to find materials for crafting. Massive kept the spawns fixed which means once you know where you are on the map, you can easily farm for the items you need by referring the map. Defeats the whole point of survival imo.

xclaw

So I tried the Warrington cheese twice for 15 minute intervals each, 7 proficiency caches each and a empty bag to full bag (67 items) both times.

Getting a proficiency cache every 1 minute 40.

Doubt I'll do it again as I don't need anything and after 10 minutes it's mind numbing but still nice seeing all the loot, weapon kits and materials there :)
*edit found it.

EL CUCO

Marcostyle had really high health for his video, is that better for pvp than high firearms? Or do you want a balance?
Ideally you want just enough Firearms to unlock Brutal and Responsive (4791 in WT5), and stack the rest on Stamina with as much armor as possible. I still keep a backpack and mask with skill power rolled as the major attribute.

Mullah88

Marcostyle had really high health for his video, is that better for pvp than high firearms? Or do you want a balance?

doesnt matter, if youre being focus fired upon, all that toughness is getting melted like its nothing (patch 1.3 was the ultimate tank build update). even a good built AB will kill in an instant, 400-450k is my limit with at least 55% damage mitigation. health i even run 398k toughness (430k dps) solo in the dz and that seems to workout fine. it all depends on your play style really.

Top Bottom