• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's The Division |OT 3| Crafted From 150 OT 2’s

GazzaGSi

Apparently, this is the direction The Division might be going in...

http://i.imgur.com/yB4nQ5K.png

...that is a premium outfit you can buy, wow.

Tom Clancy this Tom Clancy that, can't do this, can't do that...something changed.

Already given my 2 cents worth on reddit about that outfit. Absolute fucking joke.

Going on the PTS for a bit now, finally fixed the problem of my PC randomly switching off mid game, cpu temp at 85degrees lol

J_Viper

Apparently, this is the direction The Division might be going in...

http://i.imgur.com/yB4nQ5K.png

...that is a premium outfit you can buy, wow.

Tom Clancy this Tom Clancy that, can't do this, can't do that...something changed.

There's nothing wrong with this though.

One of the many flaws with The Division is how seriously it takes itself without the strong writing to back it up.

It's already laughable, why not go all the way?

There's nothing wrong with this though.

One of the many flaws with The Division is how seriously it takes itself without the strong writing to back it up.

It's already laughable, why not go all the way?

Sure, why not? Lets add clowns and unicorns while we're at it.

They can bundle it all up and release it as a Saints Row invades The Division expansion.

GazzaGSi

They can bundle it all up and release it as a Saints Row invades The Division expansion.

Probably would be better than the POS that is Last Stand, its probably the worst PVP I've played in years.

So far on a scale of 1-10 I'd put 1.6/Last Stand at a 3 and that's being generous. I'd say I've logged approx 10 hours on the PTS, hopefully PTS 3 will bring some improvements.

EL CUCO

Probably would be better than the POS that is Last Stand, its probably the worst PVP I've played in years.

So far on a scale of 1-10 I'd put 1.6/Last Stand at a 3 and that's being generous. I'd say I've logged approx 10 hours on the PTS, hopefully PTS 3 will bring some improvements.
What kind of improvements would you like to see made to it? I've only been able to watch streams, but it looks like the best PVP this game has ever seen (I know that's not saying much)

What kind of improvements would you like to see made to it? I've only been able to watch streams, but it looks like the best PVP this game has ever seen (I know that's not saying much)

It's super broken in the PTS which leads to an awful experience. OP seeker mines, spawn camping, team mates running around like headless chickens not contributing to objectives and more bs with hip fire and broken weapon talents.

Given it's the PTS so things will change before 1.6 comes out, but I'm not seeing any sort of cover mechanics in pvp which was supposedly their intention with Last Stand.

I really liked the mode for what it is from the streams I watched but lets face the facts - Massive can't balance things for shit.

I just noticed the pink tie... lol

Yeah this doesn't make sense, I find it funny but come on... they should do more, different designs and etc but not this kind of shit.

The only way you should see something like the bunny suit in a game like this is as a Easter egg of some sort rather than having players running around in bunny suits killing one another.

Seeing stuff like this becomes more annoying when they are about to change the game drastically yet again and in a lot of ways for the worse unless they revert back/come up with better changes/come to a middle ground with the coming PTS updates.

If they were to release this with the massive change to Toughness they will have a lot of players stop playing shortly thereafter.

It saddens me to see so much wrong in the current PTS, hope massive can balance most of it prior to 1.6 launch.

After watching most of the 'big' Division streamers play last stand it seems the PvP hasn't changed all that much either, the majority still use an AR and very little 'cover shooting' is happening.

It looks like the actual mode could be great but the hip fire, no cover meta will ruin it.

And don't get me started on the seeker mines in last stand 😁

The game I've spent about 60 days in across two platforms since release sure is in a interesting place for me right now as I have no interest in the live 1.5 version as it is vastly different from what is coming and there really isn't any content worthwhile to play anyways at this point while the current 1.6 PTS is a rather dreadful experience all-around so I'm left waiting for the next round of changes to see what direction they're going to take the game from what they've done so far which includes...

Reducing the way Stamina scales by 50%,
Reducing +Health rolls by nearly 50%,
Reducing armor drastically,
Reducing out of cover damage mitigation perks/talents,
Adding a cooldown to the roll mechanic in PvE,
Removing reload while sprinting,
Switching EAD from a minor to a major and reducing it,
Increasing the speed, agility, and tactics for the AI,
Increasing damage output for the AI,
Making changes to gear and AI based on a completely different functioning Toughness system that will not be in the game

...just to name some of the current changes.

Warlord looking like the new meta

Assault rifles are the new old meta because Massive increased armor mitigation to 70% for everyone in Last Stand.

Which makes it essential to run EAD on guns, hence forcing you to use AR's due to innate EAD.

Combine base 70% mitigation with max smart cover and other damage reduction perks, talents and skills and you have players running around with toughness in the millions.

smh

Assault rifles are the new old meta because Massive increased armor mitigation to 70% for everyone in Last Stand.

Which makes it essential to run EAD on guns, hence forcing you to use AR's due to innate EAD.

Combine base 70% mitigation with max smart cover and other damage reduction perks, talents and skills and you have players running around with toughness in the millions.

smh

As a player who doesn't really partake in the PvP game modes how did anyone ever come to the conclusion that giving everyone 70% Armor Mitigation (which is about 14% more than you are even allowed in the current live 1.5 version of the game in PvE) would be good for the back and forth nature of a traditional-like PvP mode, keep TTK in check, and in anyway force players to take cover. Meanwhile, in PvE we have a max around 33% Armor Mitigation now with nerfs to out of cover perks/talents and nothing but increases to AI's abilities and damage output.

From Yannick...

Hi there,

There's been a lot of discussion and confusion regarding the changes we did with Armor and Health with this PTS, so we've put together a FAQ that should help you better understand our intentions.

Q: Will I be squishier now with less Armor?
A: Toughness is a value that combines Armor and Health to show you the amount of bullet damage it takes to kill you. Basically every bullet is reduced in damage according to your Armor. 50% mitigation would reduce the bullets damage by 50% et.c. This means that if you have less Armor, but more health, the bullet will do more damage, but on a larger health pool, which means it will still take the same amount of bullets to kill you. The bigger health pool also means you can take more of a beating from explosions, fire and the like, so in a sense you are less squishy than before.

------------------------------------------------------

Umm, no, you can take that "in a sense" stuff and throw it out the window. When you are in front of a keyboard and mouse or have a controller in your hands and the bullets and everything else start flying the experience will absolutely prove that you are never less "squishy" than you were in 1.5, not even remotely close.

This may have been their intention, obviously, but there is a lot to got back to the drawing board on and completely re-do and at this point I have zero confidence that they can ever actually balance the Firearms, Stamina, and Electronic main stats and their scalability. We are nearly a year in from release and the game still doesn't have a solid foundation to stand on.

Edit: Maybe you'll be less squishy if you huddle up with a maxed out skill build using a Smart Cover while producing incredibly riveting and exciting gameplay otherwise known as the awful and boring 1.3 iteration of The Division.

The game I've spent about 60 days in across two platforms since release sure is in a interesting place for me right now as I have no interest in the live 1.5 version as it is vastly different from what is coming and there really isn't any content worthwhile to play anyways at this point while the current 1.6 PTS is a rather dreadful experience all-around so I'm left waiting for the next round of changes to see what direction they're going to take the game from what they've done so far which includes...

Reducing the way Stamina scales by 50%,
Reducing +Health rolls by nearly 50%,
Reducing armor drastically,
Reducing out of cover damage mitigation perks/talents,
Adding a cooldown to the roll mechanic in PvE,
Removing reload while sprinting,
Switching EAD from a minor to a major and reducing it,
Increasing the speed, agility, and tactics for the AI,
Increasing damage output for the AI,
Making changes to gear and AI based on a completely different functioning Toughness system that will not be in the game

...just to name some of the current changes.

That's a lot of things... and it looks like they're making the game worse?

That's a lot of things... and it looks like they're making the game worse?

They're still about a month out from The Last Stand expansion release so there is still time for a lot change but what discourages me about that is what seems to be their intent for this update and how to go about getting there.

I get it, and I'm sure most of the players do, this is a cover-based shooter but no game of that genre can have interesting gameplay scenarios if you are forcing the player(s) to stay in cover 90% of the time. It just isn't fun.

Players will have to experience it for themselves and I'm generally focused on the said to be most difficult content in the game but I can't imagine the majority of current players enjoying the way the current PTS is playing and continuing to play the game if this turns out be very similar to the version that is released. Maybe I'm wrong but I think a lot of players would feel like all the good that was done with 1.4/5 was undone with 1.6 concerning the changes.

This type of game should be seeing tweaks and substantial content additions at this point rather than basic core fundamental overhauls that seemingly changes the way you play in massive ways every two months or so thus making some gear obsolete and wasting your time as a player in creating various builds.

Edit: Some examples of things I just don't get are...

1 - How can you make changes to gear and AI based on an overall health system that won't even be present in the game moving forward (which they did from PTS 1 to PTS 2)?

2 - Why such drastic changes to an overall health system instead of boosting Electronics and Skill Power and their perks/attributes (making build decisions tougher and more interesting) while incorporating better AI tactics and boosting AI damage output a bit thus putting the player in cover more but not making it necessary nearly all the time in every encounter? As it stands they are killing Armor/Health/Toughness/Stamina in favor of boosting Electronics and Skill Power (I actually do think Armor and Toughness needed to be reduced a bit overall but not like this).

A solution to having a too high/strong of a Toughness/Skill Power hybrid build in regards to healing skills for balance concerns would be diminishing returns on those skills once you reach a certain Toughness threshold.

J_Viper

Is The Divison still worth picking up now it's coming to a year old? Is there news of Division 2?

If you can find it for below $20 on console, I'd say go for it.

PC seems a bit dead. I've had maybe three missions out of 30 where other players joined my game. Finding players for Dailies takes a while as well.

GazzaGSi

Alot of the issues have been covered since my post but it's still just a circle dance of hip fire, spam nades and seekers/turrets. There's no construction to the game play at all and with 70% armour mitigation it basically just boils down to who will run out of med kits first as the majority are specced into electronics so self heal is available every sub 10 seconds taking you from your last health block to overhealed. It feels and plays no different to fighting a bunch of Rogues in the DZ and to still have the supers is ridiculous. And then there's still the downed state so it defeats the object of cover combat at a distance as you just crawl to cover and get revived.

The whole stamina/toughness re work is just bizarre and whoever says you're not as squishy is simply wrong, TTK and TTBK (PVE) feels terrible, it all just seems a huge step backwards. The PVP "improvements" like rolling around and no reload during sprint effects PVE especially when for example sometimes you need to roll twice to get out of the grenade spams in falcon lost and clear skies, in clear skies you can get spammed 6-7 times before the grenades stop so all you can do is roll away.

So far the only thing I like about the update is DZ07-09 as its somewhere else to explore and the Scavenger box finally scales correctly in the BoO.

https://youtu.be/PWgkhyY56Hg

Good luck, Massive/Red Storm
*does chicken dance*

Was writing reply when you posted that, Should've just replied with that lol

24hr

If you can find it for below $20 on console, I'd say go for it.

PC seems a bit dead. I've had maybe three missions out of 30 where other players joined my game. Finding players for Dailies takes a while as well.

Definitely not worth the digital download price then straight from PSN store?

EL CUCO

Not sure how much it is in PSN store, but it's $25 on Amazon. It's easily worth that much. If you get hooked into min maxing your gear, you can pick up the season pass or buy DLC separately.

If you're paying anything more than $10 that amazon had it for back in nov-dec, you're wasting your money ;)

You think PC has low playerbase? ATM it probably due to the PTS so a lot of players are playing on the PTS server.

Console is another story - PS4 especially is so low that you'd be lucky to find players for end game stuff like Incursions.

If you can get the game + season pass under $30 that would probably be worth it. I would wait till 1.6 comes out because the gear you get before then will get rolled over to 1.6 changes and spending time to min-max gear right now is a waste of time and effort.

24hr

If you're paying anything more than $10 that amazon had it for back in nov-dec, you're wasting your money ;)

You think PC has low playerbase? ATM it probably due to the PTS so a lot of players are playing on the PTS server.

Console is another story - PS4 especially is so low that you'd be lucky to find players for end game stuff like Incursions.

If you can get the game + season pass under $30 that would probably be worth it. I would wait till 1.6 comes out because the gear you get before then will get rolled over to 1.6 changes and spending time to min-max gear right now is a waste of time and effort.

Damn, I am on PS4. Maybe I won't pick it up then until I see a price I can't refuse.

EL CUCO

Damn, I am on PS4. Maybe I won't pick it up then until I see a price I can't refuse.
You might find a sale as we get closer to Last Stand release, but Division didn't have much going for it when it was $10 on Amazon (during Black Friday?) I could be wrong but it'll be a while before it gets that low again.

That said I've never had a problem with matchmaking for end games activities (world tier 5). I recently ran a ton of Underground till I hit rank 40 and even completed my first legit Dragons Nest Incursion a couple weeks ago with matchmaking, but that's DLC. I'm gonna try to matchmake into some vanilla content when I get home tonight and let you know.

Match made into a group last night for the DZ in under 15 seconds. Heck, every time I'm in the DZ there's like 20 other Rogue players HAA. Always makes me wonder how this game can be so "dead" yet I can never have a DZ server all to myself.

GazzaGSi

Match made into a group last night for the DZ in under 15 seconds. Heck, every time I'm in the DZ there's like 20 other Rogue players HAA. Always makes me wonder how this game can be so "dead" yet I can never have a DZ server all to myself.

I think the player base is still there, it's just there's certain activities that are dead. Like Falcon Lost for example, because any gearset drops everywhere now from all activities there is no need to farm it if you want sentry, TA, Striker etc which was the only reason to play it and then there's the high probability the items have poor rolls after wasting the time to complete it. I've had no issues matchmaking for DZ and dailies, just wish they'd add an option for HVT matchmaking.

MM works for Lexington and DZ.

Dead everywhere else.

Region matters as well, so American players have a much better experience with mm while other regions suffer.

https://youtu.be/PWgkhyY56Hg

Good luck, Massive/Red Storm
*does chicken dance*

Was writing reply when you posted that, Should've just replied with that lol

Hope remains..

gg.JPG

GazzaGSi

MM works for Lexington and DZ.

Dead everywhere else.

There isn't much I disagree with you on at all but that hasn't been the case for me, since getting barrets the last few weeks I've ran clear skies, dragons nest, UG (this surprisingly was quick, has there been a fix, I new MM was broke?) and all but general assembly missions and got a squad within seconds. However, that brings me on to this region question:

Region matters as well, so American players have a much better experience with mm while other regions suffer.

I'm UK based and more often than not I matchmake with Americans, probably due to the time I play at around 2am is around 8pm depending on state in America but don't seem to struggle to find a team to play with. Do you know if skill based matchmaking for Last Stand takes priority over region?

Hope remains..

gg.JPG

One thing is for sure, they definitely do respond to the community well through the social media channels and reddit. Can't help but feel though they've bitten off more than they can chew with every attribute at some point or another being over or under powered/unbalanced and until they split PVP and PVE in terms of gearsets, balancing, skills etc, it never will be.

There isn't much I disagree with you on at all but that hasn't been the case for me, since getting barrets the last few weeks I've ran clear skies, dragons nest, UG (this surprisingly was quick, has there been a fix, I new MM was broke?) and all but general assembly missions and got a squad within seconds. However, that brings me on to this region question:

I'm UK based and more often than not I matchmake with Americans, probably due to the time I play at around 2am is around 8pm depending on state in America but don't seem to struggle to find a team to play with. Do you know if skill based matchmaking for Last Stand takes priority over region?

No idea how Last stand mm works, or how do they even determine skill? Is it just based on kills, or points? Region should always be prioritized over skill *cough* bungle *cough*

I've left mm on for an hour at a stretch trying to run incursions in the past month and never been able to find more than 1 player. Even with survival mm, It puts me in a server saying 'poor connection to host server when i'm playing solo.

Nothing new for me to be matched with Asians player, especially from Japan, Philippines and even Singapore given I'm in Australia; but now I'm getting matched with players from EU and KSA :/

Also every time I load into the game, I'm seeing a couple of the same players in the base. If that doesn't reflect a shirking player base then I don't know what else does.

One thing is for sure, they definitely do respond to the community well through the social media channels and reddit. Can't help but feel though they've bitten off more than they can chew with every attribute at some point or another being over or under powered/unbalanced and until they split PVP and PVE in terms of gearsets, balancing, skills etc, it never will be.

Gotta give them credit for not hiding behind some PR Pawn like a certain other developer which will remain unnamed.

Always liked this part of Massive but talking about things and actually getting them to work correctly are two different things :p

Kadin

Just recently came back to the game after leaving shortly after the first Incursion dropped. I just finished putting together my AlphaBridge set and am I seeing now that in 1.6 it's getting nerfed pretty hard? Any ideas what other set might be worth looking into? Mainly just play solo so dps with AR/SMG would be preferred.

Just recently came back to the game after leaving shortly after the first Incursion dropped. I just finished putting together my AlphaBridge set and am I seeing now that in 1.6 it's getting nerfed pretty hard? Any ideas what other set might be worth looking into? Mainly just play solo so dps with AR/SMG would be preferred.

D3-FNC is the best pve set atm, especially for solo players.

rpcdrag0n

I need some D3-FNC pieces, currently only have 3 and one of them would replace my Barrett's chest so would rather not change that out. Best place to look for D3-FNC items?

I need some D3-FNC pieces, currently only have 3 and one of them would replace my Barrett's chest so would rather not change that out. Best place to look for D3-FNC items?

There is no place to farm for sets because everything is random now.

Check the vendors, the DZ6 and advanced vendors usually sell random sets.

GazzaGSi

£12 in my local game shop. Worth it?

I've bought the Sleeper agent edition(PS4), Gold Edition (PC) and a second standard PS4 copy for the station in another room and got my money's worth out of all of it, for £12 if the game clicks with you you'll easily get 500 or more hours out of it.
£12 probably wouldn't even buy you a large coke and pop corn at the cinema and if you don't like it, sell it :)

Top Bottom