• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's The Division |OT 3| Crafted From 150 OT 2’s

EL CUCO

I watched both Division and Destiny stream and I'm really excited for what Division will add to the game in this Year 2 update. Destiny...not so much lol

Without having seen the anniversary stream it sounds pretty decent for free content.

I've been asking for difficulty modifers/directives (plus the creation of new ones) to be used in more game modes as well as a weekly rotating mission with all directives active to rival Destiny's Nightfalls since their introduction in The Underground.

Now go and make a World Tier: Survival while allowing me to both feel strong with my current gear but also incorporating the survival mechanics (cold, etc).

More story content is always welcome.

I watched both Division and Destiny stream and I'm really excited for what Division will add to the game in this Year 2 update. Destiny...not so much lol

Eh, I don't know as the summary I read did seem kind of like a job with the new book and whatnot but if I read it correctly you only need a certain amount of Milestones to complete the Triumph or whatever.

The gameplay still reigns supreme so going back through a lot of it updated seems good enough for one last song and dance until the new greatness arrives.

That doesn't matter, have to spread out the updates.

This is something they have announced and probably just started working on, so they need time. Also they are going to be working on another game so expect most of their resources channeled away from The Division, with a 'live' team staying on for Division updates and balancing.

Pretty much confirmed that the world in the game will remain as it is, and they will just re-use the existing stuff to create an update.

Seasons, modifiers, events.....that simply refers to reusing in-game content.

Last stand was probably done months ago since it was supposed to release in winter last year.

Dunno why the next update is gonna take so long.

They're not going to cut their own contents legs off it. Especially paid content. People would be even more pissed off about it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm seeing nothing about more Story missions.

DISAPPOINTED.gif

TheSeks

It's probably another cliffhanger to coincide with the movie release or division 2

Which is the problem. I've been waiting a year for that to be resolved, and nope. Possible sequel. It's like "why should I keep the game installed then? They have no intention of giving more single-player/story missions."

fr0st

Banned
Which is the problem. I've been waiting a year for that to be resolved, and nope. Possible sequel. It's like "why should I keep the game installed then? They have no intention of giving more single-player/story missions."
Don't worry they're gonna add feats which you were already doing since day 1

Don't worry they're gonna add feats which you were already doing since day 1

I don't get the cynical doom and gloom attitude when they said the 2nd update will be narrative focused.

Why not wait and see what it entails?

fr0st

Banned
I don't get the cynical doom and gloom attitude when they said the 2nd update will be narrative focused.

Why not wait and see what it entails?
I mean the "expansions" for the game are basically game modes that should've been in the game day 1 or came free from an update.

No story missions (incursions don't count since that has no effect on the story tbh) or map expansions came until a year later and you think they're gonna suddenly make story missions?

It's probably gonna be like underground where you collect some pictures or sound stuff to "advance" the story but won't actually move it in a meaningful manner.

I mean the "expansions" for the game are basically game modes that should've been in the game day 1 or came free from an update.

No story missions (incursions don't count since that has no effect on the story tbh) or map expansions came until a year later and you think they're gonna suddenly make story missions?

It's probably gonna be like underground where you collect some pictures or sound stuff to "advance" the story but won't actually move it in a meaningful manner.

With the exception of Incursions I disagree that the game modes should have shipped with the game. The DZ was the PvP mode (much like contested areas in MMOs that have factions). All these other game modes are good but given the size of the game, expecting it to ship with all this stuff is a bit much.

I'd say The Division's current story is above average as far as gaming story goes. So I'm happy they didn't just shove something out 3-6 months after launch slapping an ending on it.

Maybe it took this long to get a storyline they agreed on. Maybe that's being saved for a sequel game. Maybe what we've gotten in these DLC's so far was stuff that's been in the pipeline since before launch.

There's any number of reasons why its taken this long to get narrative. Some are better than others but the only people who know for sure are the devs at the respective companies. Being cynical about everything and complaining about content that literally hasn't been detailed in one way or another yet just doesn't make sense to me. It's not critique. It's not feedback. It's just negative for no real purpose except to vent.

Edit: Unrelated but I'm seeing posts on Reddit saying they put an ISAC mission back in.

Brakara

Is it really normal to continue the story in DLCs? What games have done that? In most games with story DLCs, they're just side stories anyway.

Lanrutcon

Is it really normal to continue the story in DLCs? What games have done that? In most games with story DLCs, they're just side stories anyway.

It is when the base game ends with nothing resolved. Think about what we accomplished during the campaign: we killed some bad people and set up a relief center. Done. Villain is still around, dude still has his super weapon, crisis is still raging, disease is still barely contained, enemy factions aren't even disbanded. The campaign story feels like Chapter 1 and 2 of a 4 or 5 chapter story.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Regarding the disease thing, I doubt that's going to be resolved any time soon. You can't shoot a plague to death (you COULD probably burn it out like the Cleaners are doing but that's not the scope of the Division), and from ingame lore it sounds like there are outbreaks in the rest of the USA.

You're right in that we could at least kill Keener, that would be some closure; but then if they're planning a Division 2 he's one of the few characters they might want to keep.

Gotta also remember Destiny is in year 3 so the updates coming now are not a huge deal because Destiny 2 is coming soon. I am actually pretty excited about all raids being brought up to current LL and curious to see how the drops for armor, weapons and other stuff are going to be.

I like that Massive is giving year 2 update for free though and loadouts sound promising.

Moose Biscuits

Not related to what's going on, but: does anyone else avoid putting mods on certain weapons unless ABSOLUTELY necessary?

I like the M700 and Classic M44, and try to avoid putting scopes or sights on them. I love the look of a pure unscoped rifle, and will put up with suboptimal performance for it.

Similar with any older style weapon, really. Fashion Division is real.

Not related to what's going on, but: does anyone else avoid putting mods on certain weapons unless ABSOLUTELY necessary?

I like the M700 and Classic M44, and try to avoid putting scopes or sights on them. I love the look of a pure unscoped rifle, and will put up with suboptimal performance for it.

Similar with any older style weapon, really. Fashion Division is real.

I have M700 tactical and Hunting M44's for one-shot sniper builds, but I prefer the Carbon and Custom versions specifically for the mods, since they provide a large boost to stats.

Even if you don't use the scope (I rarely do), having a scope with 18-20% headshot bonus is a massive damage boost.

FB_IMG_1489081840172.jpg

Moose Biscuits

I have M700 tactical and Hunting M44's for one-shot sniper builds, but I prefer the Carbon and Custom versions specifically for the mods, since they provide a large boost to stats.

Even if you don't use the scope (I rarely do), having a scope with 18-20% headshot bonus is a massive damage boost.

Carbon and custom versions look ugly though. I will deconstruct carbons and customs with better stats because you can't beat wooden furniture.

Same with the RPK, AK and M60. Classic always looks better. Shotguns too.

TheSeks

Regarding the disease thing, I doubt that's going to be resolved any time soon. You can't shoot a plague to death (you COULD probably burn it out like the Cleaners are doing but that's not the scope of the Division), and from ingame lore it sounds like there are outbreaks in the rest of the USA.

You're right in that we could at least kill Keener, that would be some closure; but then if they're planning a Division 2 he's one of the few characters they might want to keep.

Then they need to announce TC's The Division 2 pronto. Making a "year 2" which is "IT'S FUCKING NOTHING.gif" level of story-conclusion or expansion does them no favors. Especially when Destiny is bringing Destiny 2 out in the same year.

Lanrutcon

Then they need to announce TC's The Division 2 pronto. Making a "year 2" which is "IT'S FUCKING NOTHING.gif" level of story-conclusion or expansion does them no favors. Especially when Destiny is bringing Destiny 2 out in the same year.

Hadn't actually thought of that. Destiny 2 (PC release) is probably going to murder the Division's player numbers.

EL CUCO

Finally got some more play time in last night. Asher side mission was nice to see. Ran around DZ North solo with my 1.5 Frankenstein build and it felt good. Its actually fun to solo hunt Rogues now since you dont lose currency any more. I'm gonna try some Last Stand over the weekend and finally see what Lost Signal has to offer (I've been staying away from all new Incursion footage)

People are reacting poorly to it, sure, but it didn't do nothing. Before that announcement everyone was assuming there would be literally nothing done to The Division after the Avatar news came out.

The community is seriously weird now.

EL CUCO

People are reacting poorly to it, sure, but it didn't do nothing. Before that announcement everyone was assuming there would be literally nothing done to The Division after the Avatar news came out.

Lol some of it is earned, some hyperbole but it's been a salt factory since launch. I guess it comes with the territory of a Ubisoft game. It's hard to please everyone and I don't agree with some of the things they've done, but they have made some really good strides in making the game more enjoyable to play.

Finally got some more play time in last night. Asher side mission was nice to see. Ran around DZ North solo with my 1.5 Frankenstein build and it felt good. Its actually fun to solo hunt Rogues now since you dont lose currency any more. I'm gonna try some Last Stand over the weekend and finally see what Lost Signal has to offer (I've been staying away from all new Incursion footage)

Was there supposed to be something more than "Asher" standing down in the underground/subway area by himself waiting for me to arrive and kill him? It was literally nothing but what I just described in my experience.

Really, everyone was expecting zero content in Year 2? Wow.

You and others must have missed the Twitch stream when Massive made it very clear that the team working on Avatar had nothing to do with the team working on The Division nor would one have any impact on the other.

EL CUCO

Was there supposed to be something more than "Asher" standing down in the underground/subway area by himself waiting for me to arrive and kill him? It was literally nothing but what I just described in my experience.
It was just a small pay off, if you followed the ISAC story. Not every day you fight a Rogue Agent NPC (with what seemed like Hunter AI) in the LZ

It was just a small pay off, if you followed the ISAC story. Not every day you fight a Rogue Agent NPC (with what seemed like Hunter AI) in the LZ

Oh, I guess from playing nothing but Legendary missions I didn't notice any tactics out of the ordinary from what I'm used to from Legendary NPCs. Then again he was dead in about five seconds so I didn't give him much of a chance either.

Really, everyone was expecting zero content in Year 2? Wow.

You and others must have missed the Twitch stream when Massive made it very clear that the team working on Avatar had nothing to do with the team working on The Division nor would one have any impact on the other.

Asher reacted differently to different approaches. There's videos of him roll dodging, using Agent skills like a sticky bomb and he nearly one shots if he melees.

I didn't miss the stream and most people knew about it but they still thought it was false PR.

Hence why I'm saying the community is weird.

Moose Biscuits

Can I just mention that Clear Sky on 1.6 Heroic is near impossible now?

Since I started trying to clear it, playing with pugs, I've only managed to get through it once; and I think that was entirely because the other 3 players had all super top tier gear.

I really REALLY want that damn riot helmet. Why didn't I get it before the patch?!

TheSeks

Speaking of Top Tier Gear: WTF counts for gear score? I have like nearly 1,000 armor on all my pieces, 200,000 guns and am only 252 gear score. Why? Because they're all Yellows?

Dear Ubisoft: If you want me to upgrade my fucking shit for your gear score, give me BETTER ARMOR since your green arrows aren't appearing outside of like once in five million blue moons for me.

Speaking of Top Tier Gear: WTF counts for gear score? I have like nearly 1,000 armor on all my pieces, 200,000 guns and am only 252 gear score. Why? Because they're all Yellows?

Dear Ubisoft: If you want me to upgrade my fucking shit for your gear score, give me BETTER ARMOR since your green arrows aren't appearing outside of like once in five million blue moons for me.

Gear Score means nothing other than a particular range of stats a piece can have but you would obviously want all 256 gear for the best possible build stat wise.

Are you saying you are getting better native armor on a 229 slot piece?

The gear score is the average score of the gear. To be 256, all the pieces need to be 256. So you must have a 229 peice on somewhere.

It's also worth stating that the individual stats can be weighted differently. Armor, for example is great for PvE but weighted less in PvP. Stamina is weighted lower than Firearms and Electronics. It's pretty complicated and not explained in game at all.

Moose Biscuits

What's a good PVE end game build, then? I'm running around with all 256s, 4 lone star and 2 sentry (I don't like to reload). I tend to favour machine guns.

What's a good PVE end game build, then? I'm running around with all 256s, 4 lone star and 2 sentry (I don't like to reload). I tend to favour machine guns.

In no particular order...

All High-end/Exotic
Striker's
Reclaimer
Tactician

...that's just a starting point as there are many directions you can go from there regarding preferences (DPS, Tank, Healer, etc). I tend to run most of my Gear Set builds with a Barret's chest (Exotic) and Specialized backpack (High-end). Sometimes I'll use a Sturdy holster (High-end) instead of the Barret's chest. If running a All High-end/Exotic build you really want a Barret's chest and Skull gloves (Exotic) as the two defining pieces of the build.

The D3-FNC set might be worthwhile if you spec into Electronics/Skill Power.

Top Bottom