• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Holland Confirms That Peter Parker Appeared in Iron Man 2

Not

Banned
Who was the first actor to play Peter Parker in the MCU then?

Great trivia question for years to come.

Shaanyboi

Banned
trash+can+lid.jpg

This kid from The First Avenger is actually Phil Coulson.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/mK26d

Pfft, that's stupid.

It's clearly Maria Hill.

What could be happening is that kid was always technically intended to be Peter, but as they did not have the rights to use him at that point, they decided to make his appearance as ambiguous as possible. Now that Spider-Man is part of the MCU they can officially say that was in fact Peter in the scene. But if Spider-Man didn't become part of the MCU, the ambiguousness of the kid's identity would've given them the ability to deny he was Peter. I bet if they had the rights already back then, they would've made it less ambiguous.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Damn, so Iron Man 2 wasn't completely pointless after all?

people love to shit on iron man 2, but 'pointless' is the last thing they say about it

it actually does a lot for the mcu:
-introduces war machine & fleshes rhodey out
-introduces black widow
-fleshes out nick fury & SHIELD

the post credit's scene is our first look at Mjolnir and now, retroactively, the movie also teases Peter Parker

I wonder if anyone will ask Jon Favreau if this is all true. After all, he directed Iron Man 2 and is reprising his role as Happy Hogan in Spider-Man: Homecoming.

CloudWolf

Cool but why did people speculate it was Peter?

The same reason why people speculate that some truck in The Winter Soldier was driven by The Punisher. Because Marvel has extreme fans who look for easter eggs in every little scene of the films. I mean, look at this. There are freaking 20 minute video's out there talking about 'Easter Eggs' in the Thor Ragnarok trailer.

Cuburt

The hole goes even deeper:

https://youtu.be/6SWk2b8JKqg?t=2m46s

You can hear a woman yelling "Peter!" right after this time stamp. The scene with the kid is less than a minute later.

EDIT: I see I'm late on pointing this out, but the clip is here at least...this is some nth dimensional planning.

I'll accept this.

My head canon is that the woman we hear yelling isn't May but Mary Parker, Peter's mother. While Mary and Richard Parker are running around trying to find their son in the chaos, they are killed by Hammer droids in the scene just prior to the kid scene, where they shoot rockets into a building and drop debris onto a crowd of people descending the stairs. Peter sees his parents murdered in front of him and decides to stand up to the droids like his hero Iron Man. People see the scene and think it's just a funny scene of some kid just being cute and dumb, but we are looking at a kid who lost everything and is standing up with the only weapon he has, because he has nothing left to lose.

aBarreras

I'll accept this.

My head canon is that the woman we hear yelling isn't May but Mary Parker, Peter's mother. While Mary and Richard Parker are running around trying to find their son in the chaos, they are killed by Hammer droids in the scene just prior to the kid scene, where they shoot rockets into a building and drop debris onto a crowd of people descending the stairs. Peter sees his parents murdered in front of him and decides to stand up to the droids like his hero Iron Man. People see the scene and think it's just a funny scene of some kid just being cute and dumb, but we are looking at a kid who lost everything and is standing up with the only weapon he has, because he has nothing left to lose.

this went dark really fast

Shaanyboi

Banned
people love to shit on iron man 2, but 'pointless' is the last thing they say about it

it actually does a lot for the mcu:
-introduces war machine & fleshes rhodey out
-introduces black widow
-fleshes out nick fury & SHIELD

the post credit's scene is our first look at Mjolnir and now, retroactively, the movie also teases Peter Parker

I mean Rhodey is one of the few things that I would say talk about positively in IM2, but it's not like the movie really lets you get to know him any better. He is still extremely secondary.

Black Widow is also just as easily 'introduced' by her first scene in Avengers. You know nothing about her by the end of IM2.

Nick Fury is annoyed at Stark, but believes in him. But is annoyed by him. But believes in him. Like... again, you're not getting much out of him in that movie.

And again, it doesn't introduce Mjolnir in any way that Thor doesn't do already. I mean that post-credits scene is literally from Thor.

Pandy

I'll accept this.

Bloody hell.

Mariolee

I'll accept this.

This is some Toy Story background shit.

I'll accept this.

fucking hell mate

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I'll accept this.

ok yeah lets do this now

plainr_

I'll accept this.

Wow. lol.

Cuburt

I mean Rhodey is one of the few things that I would say talk about positively in IM2, but it's not like the movie really lets you get to know him any better. He is still extremely secondary.

Black Widow is also just as easily 'introduced' by her first scene in Avengers. You know nothing about her by the end of IM2.

Nick Fury is annoyed at Stark, but believes in him. But is annoyed by him. But believes in him. Like... again, you're not getting much out of him in that movie.

And again, it doesn't introduce Mjolnir in any way that Thor doesn't do already. I mean that post-credits scene is literally from Thor.

This is one of the only films where Black Widow actually gets to do spy shit with a secret alias while observing Tony.

Fury doesn't really get development, but there is some good SHIELD world building, that was necessary after Fury's vague end-credits scene, especially for the uninitiated. He sowed the seeds for why anyone would care about The Avengers and why it was a massive hit.

Plus, no one would know or care about Coulson if we didn't see him around either.

I'll accept this.

Bro take a chill pill and relax.

Arkeband

Banned
What kind of simpleton would actually believe this was the scene all along?

They could have said it was literally anyone.

Cuburt

Bro take a chill pill and relax.

lol I was just having a little fun with some fan fiction.

I just thought it would be interesting to paint the scene in a different light than how the movie presents it, and you wouldn't know it's not true because you don't even see the kid's face nor does he say a word. It's like how Civil War recontextualizes "The Incident" in Avengers, the Helicarriers in D.C. from TWS, and Ultron's attack in Sokovia after we've seen the same battles through one lens, then later see it through the eyes of people on the ground around all the collateral damage.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I'll accept this.

The Deepest Lore!

That kid actor can update his resume and say he portrayed Peter Parker.

This is a good point, also ask Marvel for more money.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It's obvious Tom Holland is joking, but it's not like this couldn't be a legit retcon if they wanted it to be. We know Peter Parker was alive and living in New York during the events of Iron Man 2, so it wouldn't be an unrealistic retcon to have that kid be him. Not like Tony would remember, but Peter totally would. A throw away line in Homecoming alluding to IM2 could be a fun easter egg/inside joke.

Toparaman

Banned
Tony Stark is the genius behind Spider-Man. Peter Parker is just his vector, a mindless sycophant dweeb who's lucky to even kiss Mr. Stark's sacred, saintly feet.

lol

At first I was like "but that kid was really little there's no way he could grow up already to Peter's age". Then I remembered Iron Man 2 came out 7 years ago already.

Also honestly this isn't a huge deal or anything like that. It's just a retcon that turns some extra into Parker

Yea I mean studios or actors could make up cameos in retrospect for fictional characters in any film.

It's a cute tidbit though.

Iron Man 3 is the best Iron Man movie

You would be correct

ramparter

Banned
More like it was some random kid but to make everyone happy they have just decided to say it was Peter Parker lol
Of course,. when Iron Man 2 released Sony was still producing ASM1. Marvel wouldnt even imagine having Spiderman in MCU.

edit:

I m too late into this, maybe it really meant to be Peter but still I call it an easter egg, nothing more.

black070

I'll accept this.

Bathos my ass.

Top Bottom