• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren “Sony’s PS5 sales down 29% yoy in the recent Q” (forecast FY24 to be lower than FY23)

yurinka

We are already trending down on hardware sales and it still feels the Gen hasn't started, I may be wrong but it feels by this date in PS3 lifecycle we already had MGS4!
PS5 is performing better than PS3, it's trending down because it's part of the console lifecycle sales curve:

image.png

As can be seen here PS5 is doing pretty much the PS4 numbers excluding the FY it got supply constrained, so it's fair to assume it will continue being the case specially if they find a way to reduce costs to a point they can allow a similar hardware price cut as PS4 had (very unlikely). And well, as can be seen PS4 hardware sales dried up on its 7th, but active userbase, engament and software sales continue super strong on its 11th year. Something it's also expected to happen in PS5.

As can be seen in the image, the 18M consoles forecast for FY24 made by Sony makes total sense seeing it peaked during FY23, but wouldn't be rare to see it doing a million or two more. And also repeating almost the same FY24 number in FY25.

P.S.: Sony did stop sharing yearly PS3 sales in their fiscal reports on its 7th year with the PS4 release.

Last edited:

nial

I feel like it's very odd that you point to a FY where GoW Ragnarök released as an indication of general market trends.
FY 2023 will not be as different with Spider-Man and Helldivers 2. While FY 2024 *could* suffer with the lack of major franchise sequels (that is, ignoring the chance of new or more obscure IPs exploding in popularity), it's a strategy that has worked so far for Sony.
Revenue is such a loose term. Remember how Xbox' revenue skyrocketed entirely due to acquisition of Activision? Revenue is also boosted by subscriptions and MTX.
I don't see any correlation between this and specifically first-party software, which does not include subs or MTX.
I find it worrying that PS5 has the lowest attach rate in PS history. Not even PS1/PS2 were this low despite rampant piracy. I think it's unhealthy that a console has only 1.2 games sold per console. Something is wrong here.
Huh?
We literally have this leak.
The slides (as spotted by PlayStation LifeStyle) reveals data comparing at 27 months in. It reveals that the PS5 has a higher attach rate than the PS4, at 94% vs. 92% during a comparable stage in their life spans.

Klosshufvud

FY 2023 will not be as different with Spider-Man and Helldivers 2. While FY 2024 *could* suffer with the lack of major franchise sequels (that is, ignoring the chance of new or more obscure IPs exploding in popularity), it's a strategy that has worked so far for Sony.

I don't see any correlation between this and specifically first-party software, which does not include subs or MTX.

Huh?
We literally have this leak.
I find those figures to be odd (94% vs 92%). Don't we already know that PS4 had a way higher attach rate than a mere 0.94 games sold per system? That seems awfully low and the number is also lowballing the PS5 numbers to less games sold than actual systems. That seems inaccurate and I'm not sure that leak is talking about the same thing we are.

This says PS4 had an attach rate of near 1000%. Ten times more games sold than systems.

sono

Where are the first party game announcements Sony? where is the marketing? where is the smaller console for folks living rooms ? why are you diluting some of your efforts to PC?

Projected to sell less than that in fifth fy than ps4 is because of these

These numbers for PS5 feel very natural. We're in the middle of the generation now, the system is easily accessible to anyone who wants one, and quite frankly, there's never been a worse time to buy a PS5.

The PS5 Pro is due out this fall and is one of the worst-kept secrets in the industry. The launch of this mid-gen refresh will likely cause a price reduction in the PS5 slim and the Pro will be the new elite model. Anyone who wants a PS5 and hasn't bought one is better off waiting for the Pro, or the price drop on the Slim. Otherwise you're just paying top dollar today for a soon-to-be-outclassed model. It makes little sense not to wait until this holiday season.

Given those market conditions, it's natural for the sales to begin to taper off. PS5 is still outselling all of it's competition handily despite that current handicap, which is the bigger story.

Fabieter

These numbers for PS5 feel very natural. We're in the middle of the generation now, the system is easily accessible to anyone who wants one, and quite frankly, there's never been a worse time to buy a PS5.

The PS5 Pro is due out this fall and is one of the worst-kept secrets in the industry. The launch of this mid-gen refresh will likely cause a price reduction in the PS5 slim and the Pro will be the new elite model. Anyone who wants a PS5 and hasn't bought one is better off waiting for the Pro, or the price drop on the Slim. Otherwise you're just paying top dollar today for a soon-to-be-outclassed model. It makes little sense not to wait until this holiday season.

Given those market conditions, it's natural for the sales to begin to taper off. PS5 is still outselling all of it's competition handily despite that current handicap, which is the bigger story.

So casuals who are price sensitive are rather wait for ps5 pro which is likely to cost more than the base console

Only 74 million consoles sold by the end of the year. A true disaster.
Not by a normal person's standards. But we are talking about publicly traded companies here. Shareholders demand infinite growth. Just ask yourself what that will spell for the future of the home console business.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The market isn't shrinking, only the Xbox market share is shrinking.

Yes, their software revenue grew every year and that they released a sales record breaking 1st party game in 2020, 2022, 2023 and 2024.

Regarding the attach rate or lifetime valye / average revenue per user must be (launch aligned) at gaming history record levels, better than in any other console ever, because it was at record levels last year and this year they improved hardware, software, services and accesories revenue.

I assume they'll mention it in their Business Segments Meeting this May 30th.

This is what they said there last year:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Please notice that nowadays addons and gamesubs represent a huge portion of the game revenue, so attach rate became less important as KPI. Specially when considering there are many F2P or super discounted games games. Now it's more important to look instead at console user spend / lifetime value (both shown above, they are the same: the money spent by the player in everything other than in the hardware).

Nah, Sony has a bigger userbase than Switch and generates way more sales. Sony keeps increasing their market share. Sales that keep growing every year. Regarding hardware units, PS5 is selling a lot of them to new players: around 60M players play every month on PS5 and 60M more still are in PS4, so being that engaged will make the jump somewhere later. Maybe once crossgen games stop being released or supported in previous gen, or when the economy allows them to do so.

So everyone just assuming all those ps4 players are going to buy a ps5.

Ok

yurinka

Not all, but most of these 60M+ who are still play PS4 monthly 11 years after launch.

Btw, PS4 metrics a year or two ago were in their all time high regarding several engagement metrics. Players who are still there play and buy a lot. And we're in PS4's 11th year, as can be seen in the hardware sales I shared a few posts ago its hardware sales stopped being big on its 7th.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Ok

I know some of them and they migrate mostly to switch and just play genshin on the ps4 rn. It's highly likely that the switch 2 will be able to play genshin so some of them will definitely leave the ps ecosystem.

Woopah

What remakes or remakes of remasters? Apart from Insomniac its been awful and you know it.
Santa Monica, Guerrilla Games, Team Asobi, Firesprite, Housemarque, Polyphony Digital, Sucker Punch and San Diego have all released games in the last 4 years that were not remakes or remasters.

Last edited:
PS5 is performing better than PS3, it's trending down because it's part of the console lifecycle sales curve:

image.png

As can be seen here PS5 is doing pretty much the PS4 numbers excluding the FY it got supply constrained, so it's fair to assume it will continue being the case specially if they find a way to reduce costs to a point they can allow a similar hardware price cut as PS4 had (very unlikely). And well, as can be seen PS4 hardware sales dried up on its 7th, but active userbase, engament and software sales continue super strong on its 11th year. Something it's also expected to happen in PS5.

As can be seen in the image, the 18M consoles forecast for FY24 made by Sony makes total sense seeing it peaked during FY23, but wouldn't be rare to see it doing a million or two more. And also repeating almost the same FY24 number in FY25.

P.S.: Sony did stop sharing yearly PS3 sales in their fiscal reports on its 7th year with the PS4 release.
Sorry this is what I meant in my comment, that for other past consoles, when we got to this stage of the lifecycle we had already seen all the amazing exclusives and then some more, but this Gen it feels we are still playing launch games (except for the third party games which have been really good)

yurinka

Sorry this is what I meant in my comment, that for other past consoles, when we got to this stage of the lifecycle we had already seen all the amazing exclusives and then some more, but this Gen it feels we are still playing launch games (except for the third party games which have been really good)
Well, in PS3 or PS4 we saw most of their bigger hitters in the 2nd half. Once devs start to master the hardware and can spend a big money there (as would be today not making the game crossgame nd since the start focusing on pushing current gen hardware) once there's a big enough userbase some years after launch.

nial

I find those figures to be odd (94% vs 92%). Don't we already know that PS4 had a way higher attach rate than a mere 0.94 games sold per system? That seems awfully low and the number is also lowballing the PS5 numbers to less games sold than actual systems. That seems inaccurate and I'm not sure that leak is talking about the same thing we are.

This says PS4 had an attach rate of near 1000%. Ten times more games sold than systems.
It was surely a weird way to measure the data, but from software shipments alone (286M for PS4 + PS5 in FY 2023 versus 234M for PS4 in FY 2016) you know that it's not that behind of PS4, if it is at all (PS4 is mostly sustained by F2P stuff these days).

nial

Ok
I know some of them and they migrate mostly to switch and just play genshin on the ps4 rn. It's highly likely that the switch 2 will be able to play genshin so some of them will definitely leave the ps ecosystem.
What's up with this concern trolling? Yes, it's perfectly reasonable to expect most of PS4's install base to migrate to PS5 when hardware sales between both consoles are almost 1:1.

simpatico

Are Sony intentionally starving the PS5 of games just so when the ARM powered PS6 comes out people won’t complain about lack of BC?

🧠 🧐 🤔

StereoVsn

You are using the wrong metric.
If you include the terraflop metric, it's only
12.1 : (10.3 x 5)
12.1 : 51.5
1 : 4.2561983471074
Then you round down as it is less than .5
1 : 4

 The gap is closing.
Another win for the good guys.

Give Phil another promotion.
Another career moment reached.
AHrszPt.gif

Fabieter

there are several parts.

8:38-13:00 Nintendo is it's own shit

28:00-31:00 PC Gaming is potato gaming

Will watch those specific parts, well I disagree with nintendo anyway. Switch 2 will have 99% of asian games so to say there is no impact on ps is stupid. I know people who will happily complete Switch to nintendo once everything is over.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

It was surely a weird way to measure the data, but from software shipments alone (286M for PS4 + PS5 in FY 2023 versus 234M for PS4 in FY 2016) you know that it's not that behind of PS4, if it is at all (PS4 is mostly sustained by F2P stuff these days).
Welp I read the original tweet all wrong. They referred to software sales in a single quarter. That lines up with your numbers.

Foamstars, Rise of the Ronin and that game with tits were all critical and commercial Flops. Missed hardware targets with downgrades forecast. Hope everything is OK at Sony.
How embarrassing...

Really though, tell me what is so special about Hellblade 2 that makes you so happy to see your friends list light up with them playing it? I'm genuinely curious, as it doesn't look like the next big thing to get people excited about gaming. In fact I'd say that the average casual gamer won't give a shit about Hellblade outside of the graphics because there isn't a whole lot of game to actually play.

I say this as someone that has no interest in platform warring as I'll play a game on any platform, providing the game looks good enough. I just find it absurd that you would raise these games as a point to make about PS games not doing so well (when that's not entirely true) and Xbox have a track record of releasing duds.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Good. Release some fucking games or at least announce them. Time to stop coasting

You have nothing announced first party wise, why should people buy your console?

Last edited:

Woopah

Good. Release some fucking games or at least announce them. Time to stop coasting

You have nothing announced first party wise, why should people buy your console?
They have released several first party games this year and have several first party games announced, but they do need to announce more at their upcoming showcase.

Top Bottom