• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

ZeroAKA

I just saw a stream of this part and don't have the game but I believe there are stairs around the outside of the elevator shaft. Go down the stairs? Push the button for the elevator?
The elevator is broken, and the stairs lead to a locked door.

Seems to be a glitch, as once you crash the elevator to the bottom level you should be able to hop down. Not entirely sure, though.
That's what I thought too. I might have to restart the game. :/

I just finished the elevator puzzle at the Research Base and now I can't progress any further. Every time I jump down the elevator shaft (see screenshot), Lara immediately dies. Someone please tell me I'm doing something wrong.

It's definitely a glitch, should be able to just drop right down without losing any health.

I grabbed this yesterday and so far I'm loving the SP. I plan on trading it in after completion and putting that towards Imfamous, but I'm glad I got it.. Water and fire look kinda bad, but the lighting and environments and character models look fantastic.. very worthy experience.

Finished TR last night and absolutely loved it, it's a brilliant game. So many things about the game has been done really, really well, and there isn't much at all to complain about. I played on Normal difficulty which felt about right, although later when you're tooled up... Yeah I should of selected hard :)

CD absolutely NAILED the controls and camera, they feel fantastic and Lara is a joy to move around the environment. Gunplay is great, it feels really solid and Lara is in full-on badass mode. Climbing is awesome, the tombs are really good although I would like to see more of them and more complex puzzles, but it is what it is and I was happy with what we got.

The game looks and runs beautifully on PS4. 60fps is fucking sublime and I hope that TR2 on PS4 follows suit and they don't go for 30fps with better visuals. It looks stunning as it is, so I'd be more than happy with that standard again at 60fps. Drops? Well here and there but for the most part it fucking rad, and show me a game that doesn't.

Not tried multiplayer out yet, I might give it a go, but I am not that fussed as I have plenty else to play.

I got all of the single player Trophies except Former Adventurer (Dodge and Counter finish) and the conversation one. I will go through the game again at some point for the conversation one, but maybe I could go and find enemies post-finish and mop up the other counter-kills?

Anyway, awesome awesome game. Up there with Uncharted if you ask me, now then CD, can we pleeease have a new Soul Reaver? :)

Melchiah

Still waiting for a patch for the save bug, so I could continue playing, without worrying it erasing progress again. The issue totally soured my experience with the game.

EDIT: In retrospect, I wish I had done like I originally intended, and waited for a price drop. Perhaps the issue would have been corrected by then.

Huggers

Great game on PS4. Big issue for me however. Platinum trophy is impossible to get. It would be fine but all the multiplayer trophies are unobtainable as there is NOBODY playing it online. Total bullshit that in a huge single player game like this they force you to have some tacked on multiplayer trophies for the platinum

Adrian121

I just finished the elevator puzzle at the Research Base and now I can't progress any further. Every time I jump down the elevator shaft (see screenshot), Lara immediately dies. Someone please tell me I'm doing something wrong.

I had the Mountain Temple glitch where the textures wouldn't load and I kept dying every time that I walked there. I saw a fix that said to go a few checkpoints/campfires back and die there. I did that, went back to Mountain Temple and everything worked fine. So maybe just try that and see if it works for this situation too?

Melchiah

It pisses me off, that the publisher is just making money from the game, without facing any repercussions whatsoever for the trouble the save bug has caused for many consumers. I personally lost several hours of my spare time, that I'm never getting back.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Completed this game twice on PS4 already with 100% and seriously considering one more play through. This game is amazing. I think CD really nailed the variety between the shooting and the exploring parts. And those controls.... Man, I fucking love these controls, can't say it enough.

TR is really a late bloomer for me. Played it on PS3 last year and liked it but I love this game on PS4. Can't wait for the sequel.

Completed this game twice on PS4 already with 100% and seriously considering one more play through. This game is amazing. I think CD really nailed the variety between the shooting and the exploring parts. And those controls.... Man, I fucking love these controls, can't say it enough.

TR is really a late bloomer for me. Played it on PS3 last year and liked it but I love this game on PS4. Can't wait for the sequel.

Maybe when it gets cheaper...

I'm a lot further in the game now and i have to give the devs a compliment. Damn good game and glad i followed the gaf hype for the PS4 version.
I wasn't able to put the game down.

So I might have encountered a glitch. Decided to go back to post-game single player and try to find all the documents/relics/tombs, etc. for 100% completion. I found the first tomb in the forest area (Tomb of the Adventurer) since I don't notice the first time around and completed it. However, now every time I go to the map, it won't say tomb raided for the forest. It just says

Kinda hoping it doesn't affect the Intellectually Superior trophy

bunbun777

Beat this last night, solid game experience but characters seemed a bit shallow and unlikable. My number one dislike of this game though is the flashing screen when you go through the menus at the campfires. Horrible whoever designed that should be flogged.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So I might have encountered a glitch. Decided to go back to post-game single player and try to find all the documents/relics/tombs, etc. for 100% completion. I found the first tomb in the forest area (Tomb of the Adventurer) since I don't notice the first time around and completed it. However, now every time I go to the map, it won't say tomb raided for the forest. It just says

Kinda hoping it doesn't affect the Intellectually Superior trophy

That's one of the extra pre-order DLC tombs, it was not part of the base game on PC/360/PS3. It does not count towards the 100% completion rate. I can personally confirm that it is the case.

(and yes the 0/1 completed count for it is indeed bugged so that region never goes above 78% or something but it is in reality 100% if you have all other things in that region)

Melchiah

Finally finished the game last night, and despite of my past negative attitude concerning the save bug, I enjoyed it a lot. Luckily it didn't crash again, and replaying the Shipwreck Beach didn't take long. Managed to get the No Stone Left Unturned trophy as well, although I was sure I missed something as it appeared after finishing the game. Passed on completing some of the challenges, as they seemed too tedious to be entertaining.

The game evoked pleasant memories of the first Soul Reaver with its opening paths, after getting new abilities, and I enjoyed how it had a good dose of adventuring among the action. Unlike the Uncharted series, which also had several fairly frustrating firefight scenes, whereas TR had none that would have irritated me. The same goes for its checkpoint system, which beats Uncharted hands down. Apart from few places, failure rarily resulted with needless repetition. I wish they'll build on those strengths in the next entry.

So, compliments to Gaf's GOTY thread for recommending the game to me. I'm definitely interested in a sequel. Hopefully there just won't be save bugs the next time.

Montresor

The game is beautiful on XB1.

I just need to make sure I never fast travel to or from shipwreck beach, right? To avoid corrupting my save.

Melchiah

I just need to make sure I never fast travel to or from shipwreck beach, right? To avoid corrupting my save.

And make multiple saves on regular basis. It crashed on me twice. The first time was during the jump to helicopter, no save corruption there, and the second time just after completing the bunker and the second optional tomb on the beach, which corrupted the save file. EDIT: The crash occurred when I fell into the ocean, and it was loading the last checkpoint.

Wow, the QTE's are such fucking garbage. Totally ruins the suspense of any given scene in which they're featured, as I fail them every fucking time and have to immediately replay the section again. So bad.

Other than that, I'm quite enjoying this. I can already tell it'll be light on the puzzling, which I expected, but it looks great and plays well, for the most part, so I'm definitely liking it so far.

Melchiah

Wow, the QTE's are such fucking garbage. Totally ruins the suspense of any given scene in which they're featured, as I fail them every fucking time and have to immediately replay the section again. So bad.

Other than that, I'm quite enjoying this. I can already tell it'll be light on the puzzling, which I expected, but it looks great and plays well, for the most part, so I'm definitely liking it so far.

The only awful one was in the beginning, when
you're captured by the group.
. I don't remember there being others as bad. The one thing I hate with a passion is replaying QTE sequences all the way from the beginning after a failure. It evokes unpleasant memories of RE4.

Montresor

IMO the only reason QTEs are subpar in Tomb Raider is because there`s not enough variety. Why is the Y / triangle button always the QTE button? The whole point of the QTE is to test your hand-eye coordination.

The more QTEs the better. I like them because they're an opportunity for your ordinary character to do extraordinary things that aren't mapped/possible with the normal control scheme (shake your leg off a grappling attacker, dodge counter, etc... this is usually more apparent with games like God of War or Bayonetta) and more importantly, they provide a good test of your hand-eye coordination.

There's not much challenge if the QTE ends in "Push Y" or "Push Triangle" 90% of the time. They should have mixed it up with ABX (Circle/X/Square).

Krilekk

Banned

I did both and nothing bad ever happened. Just finished the game today, 100 % as well. An awesome experience and I'd say a serious contender for my GOTY. It's beautiful, has great gameplay (yes, it's not exactly classic Tomb Raider but it is close enough and there is lots of exploration, just not lots of puzzles) and great mechanics, the Metroid elements are a nice touch, it's not hard, the story is on par with Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull and the cinematic design beats most AAA movies. It's one great ride from start to finish.

spekkeh

Banned
Nice to see this game get a much warmer reception the second time round. Crystal Dynamics did a fine job that many of the long time fans seem to be very averse of recognizing.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Nice to see this game get a much warmer reception the second time round. Crystal Dynamics did a fine job that many of the long time fans seem to be very averse of recognizing.

I thought the overall reception was quite positive. Just the hardcore fans are the ones who complain the loudest. It sold very well the first time around and got many votes for GOTY. Probably might have won a few if TLOU didn't come out later that year.

Grisby

After playing some Forza the other night I checked out some game clips from users that were playing TR. Some dude was just panning around Lara's face and holy Jesus did it look good. Hair and everything was super upgraded.

Almost 1000/1000 it on the 360 (fu multiplayer lvl 60, garbage mode) and I'm definitely going to pick this up when I replay it on the PS4.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I picked this up when it released a few weeks ago but work got super busy so didn't get much time to play it, finally having two days in a row off I have time to play it for a good few hours with nothing else to do. I'm quite enjoying it, I had the PS3 version sitting around but after getting a PS4 didn't want to move back to it to play games if I didn't have to.

The 3 or so Tombs I've been in kind of suck hard, there are single rooms in older games far more challenging than what I have come across so far, but maybe some of the later ones are better. I also really quite like the Sure-Shit outfit, kind of wish the default was more akin to that rather than what is supposed to be a little more casual.

Looks pretty good though, I was pretty harsh on the game for a number of reasons before it came out, one remark got me this tag, but I'm a big enough man to say that so far I feel I was pretty wrong on the game.

Melchiah

I thought the overall reception was quite positive. Just the hardcore fans are the ones who complain the loudest. It sold very well the first time around and got many votes for GOTY. Probably might have won a few if TLOU didn't come out later that year.

It'll most likely be on my GOTY list this year.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Maybe it's just the excitement of playing on a shiny new console, but I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying this game right now. It's beautiful and loads of fun.

Is the MP worthwhile at all? I don't have any other online PS4 games yet. I liked Uncharted 2's MP, for what it's worth.

Melchiah

To win best Definitive Version? It's my pick for that already, I can't see anything else topping it, unless Last of Us comes out for PS4 haha

To be among the best games I've played. Although the year has only just begun, it's hard to believe there would be so many games topping it, that it wouldn't fit on my top 10 of the year.

Adam182

Banned
This game was seriously fun. Decided to skip it on 360 and just beat it on the x1.

at the end when she rocks the double pistols was sick. Good throw back to the old games.

I want a sequel to this now

Montresor

Do enemy spawns truly dry up completely after you beat the game? I beat the game 100% and I still don't have the Dodge Counter achievement (incapacitate 25 enemies with dodge counter). I can't find anyone to do it on.. Fuck.

nubbe

Do enemy spawns truly dry up completely after you beat the game? I beat the game 100% and I still don't have the Dodge Counter achievement (incapacitate 25 enemies with dodge counter). I can't find anyone to do it on.. Fuck.

Seems soo
I had to start a new game to get that trophy and a few more

But the game progress really fast the second time when you skip all the cinematics

RagnarokX

They made a nice container but didn't fill it with anything. That's the problem. It's pretty and doesn't have major bugs, but all you do is shoot the same waves of enemies over and over. It lacks challenging platforming and puzzles. They could make a good game with this but they didn't make it with this game. It's a step forward in presentation and a huge step backwards in level design and gameplay.

I want a Tomb Raider where I'm put in a large environment full of ruins where I have to figure out where to go and there isn't magic glowing paint showing me the path. I want to make challenging jumps where timing and aiming matters. I want to avoid ancient traps other than in a QTE or controlled action sequence. I want to solve brain-teasing puzzles. I don't want to spend 80% of the game shooting people and being shot at.

This thread is for an enhanced port where people waited a year to pay $40-60 for the game or bought it again. Of course the ratio of positive opinions is going to be skewed.

Here's a really good blog post Jeremy Parish wrote about what's wrong with Tomb Raider: http://2-dimensions.com/2014/01/27/what-tomb-raider-gets-wrong/

imperium

I recall running across some enemies in shanty town but that's about it. Pretty disappointing as I wanted to get a few more of the combat related achievements without having to start a new game but that doesn't seem possible.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I want a Tomb Raider where I'm put in a large environment full of ruins where I have to figure out where to go and there isn't magic glowing paint showing me the path. I want to make challenging jumps where timing and aiming matters. I want to avoid ancient traps other than in a QTE or controlled action sequence. I want to solve brain-teasing puzzles. I don't want to spend 80% of the game shooting people and being shot at.
This is an exaggeration if I've ever seen one. The game is more like 40-50% shooting, the rest is pretty much exploration and plattforming.
And I strongly disagree with you. A Tomb Raider like you want it is just not up to date any more. I mean, even Anni pretty much bombed and already that game was a step down in complexity compared to the older entries of Tomb Raider.

Voror

Considering picking this up via the Amazon sale, though at the same time I rather expect the price could drop further soon enough. I also was planning on getting the Trilogy to try out the original style of the series like with Anniversary.

Melchiah

They made a nice container but didn't fill it with anything. That's the problem. It's pretty and doesn't have major bugs, but all you do is shoot the same waves of enemies over and over. It lacks challenging platforming and puzzles. They could make a good game with this but they didn't make it with this game. It's a step forward in presentation and a huge step backwards in level design and gameplay.

This thread is for an enhanced port where people waited a year to pay $40-60 for the game or bought it again. Of course the ratio of positive opinions is going to be skewed.

Huh? There were a plenty of large environments to wander in, optional tombs to solve, and to figure out how to get all the relics, documents and GPS caches, which were put into seemingly out-of-reach places. In that sense it was pretty similar to the old entries I had played on the PS1. The old TRs didn't need glowing markers to point the destination, as the areas weren't as large and sprawling. There really wasn't that much of shoot-bang either, compared to something like the Uncharted series. Certainly not 80% worth of the game. I personally didn't miss the platforming of old at all, as it was often more frustrating than entertaining.

My positive opinion of the game would be the same, if I had bought it for the PS3 last year.

Marleyman

Banned
Just wrapped this up on Xbox One. I enjoyed it, however I felt it dragged on a bit too long. There also weren't enough tombs, things to solve really. I felt like I was in an 80's action flick with the sky high body count. I enjoyed getting all of the side missions as well, they were hidden enough and at times you had to go back and use a new tool to complete them. I would definitely be in for the sequel.

Melchiah

Just wrapped this up on Xbox One. I enjoyed it, however I felt it dragged on a bit too long. There also weren't enough tombs, things to solve really. I felt like I was in an 80's action flick with the sky high body count. I enjoyed getting all of the side missions as well, they were hidden enough and at times you had to go back and use a new tool to complete them. I would definitely be in for the sequel.

The game never felt dragging to me, but it might be because I had about a week's pause due to the save bug. The last levels weren't quite as entertaining though, as there was more action than adventuring in them. The sidequests were definitely the best part of the game.

Marleyman

Banned
The game never felt dragging to me, but it might be because I had about a week's pause due to the save bug. The last levels weren't quite as entertaining though, as there was more action than adventuring in them. The sidequests were definitely the best part of the game.

I can count a few times when I thought the game was ending, but it continued on. I want the sequel and enjoyed the game, but I couldn't shake that feeling after completing it. I also hated the insane body count that she piled up. She went from hardly ever using a gun to Chuck Norris.

Top Bottom