• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

DieH@rd

Banned
Man, what is this game's obsession with hurting this poor girl though? Barely five minutes go by where she's not getting beaten, bashed, falling into shit, falling through shit, wading through gore and/or faeces and watching people get murdered. They've tried waaaay too hard to make this all seem dark and edgy.

http://i.imgur.com/m4SPpgY.gif

tumblr_miub0xKb4N1qdf6w8o4_250.gif

I'm probably about eight or nine hours in now. It's not long since
the helicopter has crashed
and
Roth died
. I am enjoying it, although I'm finding it quite repetitive so I'm ready for it to be wrapping up soon. I'm currently in a large open wooded area with tons of guys looking around with flashlights, and I can't quite manage to stealth it all the way, and I get my arse kicked if it comes to a firefight as I'm playing on hard (which has generally been fine bar a few difficulty spikes).

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm probably about eight or nine hours in now. It's not long since
the helicopter has crashed
and
Roth died
. I am enjoying it, although I'm finding it quite repetitive so I'm ready for it to be wrapping up soon. I'm currently in a large open wooded area with tons of guys looking around with flashlights, and I can't quite manage to stealth it all the way, and I get my arse kicked if it comes to a firefight as I'm playing on hard (which has generally been fine bar a few difficulty spikes).

After that section, you still have to play
one massive action area, one huge exploration area and then [fairly long] build up toward the end.
Game is about 11-12hr long on average, but if you are playing slower on hard, you could go to ~15hr I think.

Thanks dude. I will try to hammer it and have it finished in the next couple of days. I really like the controls, the exploration, the environments and the traversal, but I find the combat quite tedious and over the last few hours there's far too much of it. I also hate how when you sit in one place for more than about five seconds the enemies throw molotovs or dynamite at you, so you have to be constantly moving which makes firefights take much longer than they need to.

I've met
my gang on the beach
, been
back to The Endurance
and I've got the
rope whizzer device
which is fun. Hopefully not too far from the end now. Just unlocked Tier 3 of her upgrades and I've upgraded almost all the weapons. I'm really ready to start wrapping up now; hopefully I'm heading into the final stretch.

Out of interest, is there a NG+? Or an 'Endless Summer' mode where you can revisit stuff to find the remaining items? I'd quite like to do all of the hidden tombs but suspect I've probably missed some. I've completed
three
so far.

I'm definitely at the end now. I've got
Reyes and Jonas outside shooting Oni or Solarii to hold down our escape route, and I'm sneaking into the ritual chamber to rescue Sam
. I was hoping to finish last night, but my daughter woke up at midnight and I had to go up and put her back to bed, and I ended up falling asleep too.

I've done all of the optional tombs, and I'm close to maxxing out all upgrades and equipment, but I probably won't quite make it and I'm not bothered enough to grind more to achieve it. I enjoyed some of the tombs, but holy shit are they slight. A couple at the beginning felt decent enough, but they've got less and less substantial as they've gone on. One of them had a large libra scale with three burnable objects on the heavier one. All I had to do was burn the three objects, push the counter-weight and voilà; puzzle solved! It was so insultingly easy, especially compared to Tomb Raider Anniversary which I thought had really neat puzzles and an excellent overall balance between combat/action and exploration/puzzles.

Mascot

Played this on 360 and loved it, so am tempted by the shinier PS4 version. Does it run at 60fs, and if so, rock-solid?

Edit: ah, found the DF analysis here. 60fps with dips.

So, at time of analysis there are occasional dips down to ~40fps - was this ever patched?

Played this on 360 and loved it, so am tempted by the shinier PS4 version. Does it run at 60fs, and if so, rock-solid?

Edit: ah, found the DF analysis here. 60fps with dips.

So, at time of analysis there are occasional dips down to ~40fps - was this ever patched?

Generally the frame rate is very solid, but I've noticed a few times when you're escaping a burning and/or collapsing building or an exploding aircraft or a disintegrating boat (i.e. during one of the big set-pieces) it chugs a fair bit. I'm not usually overly sensitive to frame drops, but clearly noticed it here. The most obvious place was when a building was falling down (there have been so many I forget which one) and Lara just barely escapes by jumping into the helicopter with Roth. But I'd say it's around 60fps like 95% of the time.

EDIT - I'm playing the digital version on PS4 with all patches.

Mascot

Generally the frame rate is very solid, but I've noticed a few times when you're escaping a burning and/or collapsing building or an exploding aircraft or a disintegrating boat (i.e. during one of the big set-pieces) it chugs a fair bit. I'm not usually overly sensitive to frame drops, but clearly noticed it here. The most obvious place was when a building was falling down (there have been so many I forget which one) and Lara just barely escapes by jumping into the helicopter with Roth. But I'd say it's around 60fps like 95% of the time.

EDIT - I'm playing the digital version on PS4 with all patches.

Great - thanks. I'll add this to my post-backlog list.

Well, I finished on Wednesday night. Really enjoyed it overall. I'll re-post my comment from the 52 games... topic:

18. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (PS4) - 20th May - approx 12-14 hours
My first time playing this and I really enjoyed it. I love the classic TR games but I understand that they probably wouldn't be particularly successful in today's market. I really enjoyed the structure of this game, with its Metroid-lite aspects when you pick up new gear and you can return to explore previous areas. I like the upgrade system, the auto-cover system is one of the best in the genre and the visuals are superb despite it being cross-gen. I didn't particularly care for the plot or characters, there was too much combat and too many QTE segements and I found the optional tombs insultingly easy. I wish there was a little more emphasis on puzzling and I felt like it got a bit repetitive with every structure she steps inside collapsing or blowing up, but on the whole I thought this was a solid reboot which felt a lot like Naughty Dog's Greatest Hits. I believe the next game is going to have a more open gameworld and more emphasis on survival, so I''l be looking forward to hearing more about that at E3. 8/10

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just ordered this, grabbed it for £15 new which is a fair price IMO. I'm wondering though, has the game seen performance improvements since release? I'm watching the Digital Foundry review and the frame rate swings from 30 - 60 depending on area which I'm sure will be very jarring. The review was done in January of last year though so I'm hoping they've made improvements since then.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just ordered this, grabbed it for £15 new which is a fair price IMO. I'm wondering though, has the game seen performance improvements since release? I'm watching the Digital Foundry review and the frame rate swings from 30 - 60 depending on area which I'm sure will be very jarring. The review was done in January of last year though so I'm hoping they've made improvements since then.

I'll answer my own question as I noticed a few others asking the same thing. Sadly the answer is no, the frame rate still varies massively depending on the area which makes for a choppy experience IMO. The game very rarely sits at 60fps, but when it does it's a much, much more enjoyable experience, mostly due to the responsiveness of the controls. I have a good PC and should have bought it for that, but I got the PS4 version for pennies so I'm not too upset, I'm more sad that the "Definitive" Edition isn't doing the game justice as it's very good from what I've played thus far (about 4 hours deep). I would definitely say the performance is due to dev laziness, not due to the PS4 hardware.

I just fixed my broken Xbox One save file. Every time I was loading the save it would just hang / crash / glitch on a black screen after the loading screen.

I own the digital XBO version and I fixed my save by having a disc (Mirror's Edge for 360) in the console and then ejecting it about 5 seconds after I started loading the save.

Now normally I'd say that wasn't a factor but because I wanted to verify the fix I turned off the game before it could auto save. I tried to load it several times and it still became stuck on the black screen. Then I tried the disc eject again and the save loaded fine.

I can't explain why it would work but maybe whatever's causing the hang doesn't happen if you activate a system level feature. I don't know why it worked but I was able to finish the game after having the save file break months ago.

Possibly coincidence but if there's anyone who was in the same boat as was it might be worth giving it a shot.

RedAssedApe

Banned
encountered the save game glitch on the beach. corrupted save. sigh...58% complete.

at least I had beat it on 360 already and game only cost me $5 or Ps4.

Top Bottom