• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

OneUh8

I am one of the few people who never played this game. So I picked it up when Amazon had it for $40. So far I am loving it. Very much Uncharted like. I did play the early TR games on PC back in the day, but I honestly do not remember them much. I am going to finish this game rather quickly it seems, but will probably not dabble in the multiplayer and just trade it or sell it when I am done. I doubt I would play through it again honestly.

Nizz

Ok, I think I just ran into a glitch and it's pissing me off. I'm at the geothermal caves and there's a puzzle that involves me opening a valve to let some natural gas out, set it on fire then quickly fire off an arrow which should have a rope attached to pull the board towards you.

Thing is when I set the gas on fire then aim and fire at the board with rope on it the arrow is not attaching itself in order for me to pull on it. And it seems to be the only way to solve getting to the next area. Looks like I'm fucked. And I was really enjoying the game till this point... I'm on PS4 by the way. Dammit...

Edit:Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I forgot you have to press R 1 to release the rope attachment. Back to loving the game. :)

I think opinion on this game boils down into two groups, those who appreciate the new direction and love the fact that it's a more open approach to the Uncharted formula, and those who hate it because they feel it is a "bastardization" of the old school Tomb Raider formula.

I just don't understand why the haters feel the need to try and convince those who are loving it that it's some sort of "terrible game".

It also borrows heavily from Arkham Asylum in terms of structure and game play mechanics (outside of combat). So if you liked that game, there's no reason why you shouldn't enjoy this. It's not any dumber than that game.

If you're interested in saying something to the effect of "I prefer the classic Tomb Raider formula and game play and I feel like this one is dumber and more action-oriented and lost a lot of what made the series great to begin with." I'm totally cool with that opinion and it's perfectly understandable. But when you're constantly posting in this thread trying to champion your opinion as "definitive" (ha, get it?), then it just gets a little annoying.

I think it's great that people are enjoying it and the game has been a huge success for Crystal Dynamics. I'm absolutely positive they'll be listening to fan feedback and criticisms and implement some of that in the next game. It'd be pretty stupid to ignore the fact that pretty much everyone just wants deeper and more complex tomb exploration...because what was there showed a lot of promise and laid the groundwork for future installments.

I just appreciated the aesthetics of the tombs, the dark and gritty "real world" feel they had. They're not filled with extravagant or elaborate puzzles or booby traps, but they certainly felt like something you'd actually find on a long forgotten island. They felt like real locations as opposed to just "video game levels".

So I finally played this game for a few hours yesterday. I am probably not getting it, this game was voted 10th place goty. It felt like a mongoloid version of Uncharted, with some funky animations and janky gameplay. The game is butt ugly aswell, no I am not throwing my hand up in the air for this game.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Up until the WW2 base I was not feeling this game, but something's changed and I'm enjoying myself with it now. I don't know if it's the pace or I've got a better handle on the controls but I'm at peace with the changes. I played TR 1 & 2 to death and yes I miss the exploration and puzzles, and at times it does feel like 'hold up to win' when the game takes control off you, but these are the modern times we live in. I enjoy the combat, it's much better than endlessly somersaulting over wolves with locked-on twin pistols. I'm getting such a Resident Evil 4 vibe from this game, it's so different from what came before and with much more emphasis on action than puzzles. Is it better than classic Tomb Raider? In many ways yes, but slap some more tomb raiding in next time.

Also, fuck multiplayer.

MazeHaze

Banned
Wow, the multiplayer in this game is so bad. SO BAD. Why would they even include it in the game? I would have been embarrassed to ship that mp with my name on it honestly.

I just beat the game last night. I was really impressed by this game. It was a lot of fun. Can't wait for the sequel and the comic series which begins this Wednesday.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
In on my 3rd playthrough on PS4. God, I love this game. Don't understand how anyone could hate it. RE4 vides all over the place.

Some people hate how it becomes forsakes puzzle solving and exploration to become Gears of Lara towards the end....

Tacked on multiplayer.

All of those are possible reasons.

molnizzle

I think opinion on this game boils down into two groups, those who appreciate the new direction and love the fact that it's a more open approach to the Uncharted formula, and those who hate it because they feel it is a "bastardization" of the old school Tomb Raider formula.

I just don't understand why the haters feel the need to try and convince those who are loving it that it's some sort of "terrible game".

It also borrows heavily from Arkham Asylum in terms of structure and game play mechanics (outside of combat). So if you liked that game, there's no reason why you shouldn't enjoy this. It's not any dumber than that game.

If you're interested in saying something to the effect of "I prefer the classic Tomb Raider formula and game play and I feel like this one is dumber and more action-oriented and lost a lot of what made the series great to begin with." I'm totally cool with that opinion and it's perfectly understandable. But when you're constantly posting in this thread trying to champion your opinion as "definitive" (ha, get it?), then it just gets a little annoying.

I think it's great that people are enjoying it and the game has been a huge success for Crystal Dynamics. I'm absolutely positive they'll be listening to fan feedback and criticisms and implement some of that in the next game. It'd be pretty stupid to ignore the fact that pretty much everyone just wants deeper and more complex tomb exploration...because what was there showed a lot of promise and laid the groundwork for future installments.

I just appreciated the aesthetics of the tombs, the dark and gritty "real world" feel they had. They're not filled with extravagant or elaborate puzzles or booby traps, but they certainly felt like something you'd actually find on a long forgotten island. They felt like real locations as opposed to just "video game levels".

Hear, hear.

The Uncharted series became boring to me over over time, especially by the third game. Tomb Raider has been refreshing because it takes what was good about Uncharted and amplifies it, while not focussing too much on the bad. Yes, there are shoot-outs — but they don't last for very long, and they're not particularly difficult. Nothing like the seemingly unlimited waves of enemies the Uncharted series throws at you.

I also love the "diet" open world structure, in that the game is both linear and non-linear at the same time. It's the perfect hybrid format for this style of game and it executes on it perfectly. I love exploring every area and doing all the optional tombs. It's rewarding in a way that the Uncharted series wasn't, particularly when it comes to the collectibles and other optional content. I'm actually interested in discovering the different journals and whatnot strewn around the world. Gaining new insight into the motivations of both the protagonists and antagonists is a joy.

The game is simply great. I'm sorry that it's not the classic Tomb Raider game that some people wanted, but it's still an excellent video game.

I'm at 88% trophies unlocked but sadly doubt I'll ever see platinum.

Multiplayer is so janky and boring. I've given it an honest chance and I've tried every mode and made it to level 20

No way I'll have the patience to play to level 60 though.

I just hate when devs throw tacked on multiplayer and put trophies on it

You and me both. This is some of the worst multiplayer I've ever experienced, I can't believe it even made it into the final release. Abysmal. I won't be getting platinum in Tomb Raider, I guess.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Got round to finishing this, really enjoyed it, I mean it wasn't the Tomb Raider I want or expect which is where most of my issues of the game come from, but ignoring that it was pretty enjoyable. It's also hard to fault a game that not only describes and voices a lot of the collectables but also makes then pretty easy to find after the fact.

But now I am stuck with a 100% completed single player experience with all the trophies, and all that is left is the god damn MP trophies. Why on earth can they not move past sticking them in games. Fine shove a MP that will be dead within months, but don't stick a bunch of trophies that rely on the MP being populated. I've got a 100% platinumed Tomb Raider Legends, Anniversary, and Uderworld, and an incompleted TR because of MP that I will probably never get round to.

bidguy

Banned
this game is way too simple

people wanted puzzles so the devs were like "want puzzles ? here are a few extremely easy tombs now fuck off and shoot these enemies"

RagnarokX

This is a false dichotomy, and calling the people you disagree with "haters" doesn't help. The game would still lack challenging gameplay requiring skill if it was a new IP, it just wouldn't be replacing anything and wouldn't have previous Tomb Raider games to live up to.

It does borrow from Arkham Asylum, but the difference is that Arkham Asylum didn't treat players like idiots. The level design was great, the combat was thoughtful and strategic, and navigating the environments took thought and skill. It also had a good story and characters to back it up. Its detective mode enhanced the gameplay rather than being a completely superfluous mechanic like it is in Tomb Raider and the XP system was actually worthwhile. Arkham Asylum made a new IP AAA game and still treated players with respect. Tomb Raider 2013 is a new game in an established franchise that dials all of the gameplay but combat back to demo status.

The issue is that Tomb Raider is pretty and its mechanics are solid, but it doesn't do anything with them. You can't base the game off dreams of what they could do in a future sequel where they might actually do something other than shootbang with what they made in this game. The game is what it is. You're treating it like a $60 demo and the sequel will be the full game. If you go "Yeah the game was simple, but the sequel might not be" that doesn't negate the criticism of the game. If the response to this is so positive what reason do they have to make anything more than a shootbang for a sequel? You may think it's obvious they'll make the next game more complex, but the majority of the positive opinion of this game seems to be grateful that it wasn't complex and that they didn't have opportunities to "get stuck". Making it more complex would make it less accessible, and considering the profit expectations they had with the first game it's likely Square will want the series to remain as accessible as possible.

I also feel that while the game was very pretty and the setting was great, the setting was underutilized and ultimately squandered. There are soooo many awesome ideas they could have done with the setting of this game, but the shanty/cult theme was too pervasive. An island with ruins from multiple time periods and cultures? Awesome. But they're just filled with shanty constructs and cult members shooting at you and they take liitle to no skill to navigate. The closest they got to a fulfilling level design was
that WW2 base involving getting an elevator to move so you could proceed.
Lara's friends, the characters in general, and the plot of the game also dragged everything down. There's also (end game spoilers)
how they build up the stormguard and the magical elements of the island and then Lara takes down everyone singlehandedly. That was a huge anticlimax. They really missed an opportunity for some survival horror elements with enemies you have to avoid, run away from, or kill strategically.

Also, this conversation started as a response to this:
Nice to see this game get a much warmer reception the second time round. Crystal Dynamics did a fine job that many of the long time fans seem to be very averse of recognizing.
I simply pointed out reasons why this thread was more likely to be a positive echochamber than the original launch and defended my position which spekkeh misrepresented. Then others got pretty nasty about how happy they were that the game changed at the expense of fans of platforming and puzzles to favor less challenge.

Dazzyman

I'm lucky to be the owner of this and a shiny new PS4 as early birthday pressie from the lovely wife. Only done about an hour and I can't get over how damn smooth it is and how gorgeous it looks (I got KZ as well but not impressed with it).

Can see we're people come from it being uncharted, but I remember Gears Of War and uncharted combat being compared with my own wtf. Im just enjoying it for what it is a great thrill ride. Too much apathy in gaming at mo, let's get back to enjoying them again.

EGM1966

Thought it was solid but never really excelled in any particular area of gameplay. I enjoyed it overall and look forward to where they go but for me they need to tighten the design down overall.

Combat was good but compared to the likes of Uncharted 2 & 3 the encounters in TR:DE were fairly pedestrian - more reminiscent of the simpler combat arenas from Uncharted:DF. Uncharted 2 & 3 really improved the varity and approach and TR needs to do the same IMHO.

Platforming was fairly solid too but lacked the fluidity of Uncharted for me although I did like the use of rope arrows and the like to make your own path. Again like Uncharted the game felt too rigidly separated into platforming bit then combat bit - while downtime and pure exploration is important like U2/U3 they need to find a better mix of the two when the shooting starts.

Tombs looked great but were underwhelming to play. They were really just a single big room each time with a single, simply themed puzzle to solve. Pretty weak sauce TBH compared to previous TR games and Uncharted. The need to deliver bigger tombs with multiple puzzles. Making them purely optional didn't help either IMHO. Some could be but one or two should contain stuff your really need.

The listen/eagle eye/hunter sense was a decent way of allowing for unobtrusive directions. If you want you don't use it and solve stuff yourself. If you want an easier ride you use it and have the game mostly hand feed you what to do. Only thought here is it's a bit too much nothing or everything - would be nice to be able to change what it reveals or not with a few simple settings (for example turn on showing you next waypoint but turn off showing you climbable surfaces etc.).

I found the semi-open world interesting although I think it hurt the drive/flow of the game - certainly it made the whole affair feel much less driven than the Raiders like pace of Uncharted which powers you through from start to finish.

I did like the zero HUD.

Engine/graphics were very good I thought and I think the new direction shows a lot of promise - given how much it felt they were looking to Uncharted I found it ironic how like Drake's Fortune the game was (slight sense of open world aside) in terms of channeling what worked and what was weaker about that title equally.

Now let's see if they can make the leap ND did with U2.

Played on PS4 for reference - no issues with variable frame rate for me and glad to have the game feel as smooth as it did for as much of the time as it did.

RagnarokX

I'm lucky to be the owner of this and a shiny new PS4 as early birthday pressie from the lovely wife. Only done about an hour and I can't get over how damn smooth it is and how gorgeous it looks (I got KZ as well but not impressed with it).

Can see we're people come from it being uncharted, but I remember Gears Of War and uncharted combat being compared with my own wtf. Im just enjoying it for what it is a great thrill ride. Too much apathy in gaming at mo, let's get back to enjoying them again.
Apathy means lack of feeling, caring, concern, interest, etc. The people who dislike the game are like the complete opposite of apathetic. I'm very concerned about a unique and challenging platforming franchise becoming a homogenized safe third person shooter.

Dazzyman

there not the only definitions of apathy. its the lack of intrest when others find it exiting.....you want to go look up your definitions, you missed loads, i luckily already knew what apathy meant and didnt have to go look it up pmsl. And please read what I said......there is apathy with gaming in general at the moment. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, prime example does more of greatness and people shrug there shoulders and mark it down for being more Donkey Kong.

I get way bored of doom merchants at moment.

This is great and fun and has drawn me in. Couldn't ask for more for me.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
there not the only definitions of apathy. its the lack of intrest when others find it exiting.....you want to go look up your definitions, you missed loads, i luckily already knew what apathy meant and didnt have to go look it up pmsl. And please read what I said......there is apathy with gaming in general at the moment. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, prime example does more of greatness and people shrug there shoulders and mark it down for being more Donkey Kong.

slow-clap-gif.gif

Thank you for this comment sir. Could not agree more.

RagnarokX

This is great and fun and has drawn me in. Couldn't ask for more for me.

Characterizing the dislike of Tomb Raider as apathy is incorrect as it is fueled by interest and concern that it does not do as much as its predecessors; that it's been dumbed down. Step up in presentation and combat, huge step backwards in challenge, platforming, and puzzles. We're not asking for more; we're asking for as much as we had before. Labeling people as apathetic or "haters" does not wash away valid criticism of the game, nor does insulting their intelligence. The situation you describe with Donkey Kong is apathy. The specific people you are talking about who shrug their shoulders and say they don't want to play another Donkey Kong don't care. They aren't interested in Donkey Kong; they are indifferent towards Donkey Kong. The people concerned about Tomb Raider care a lot. Without interest there'd be no concerns.

spekkeh

Banned
No... the platforming and puzzles being much less involved is very observable... Whether or not that is a bad thing is an opinion.
Allright this is very different from what you said previously though. You said

It's not an opinion that the game is severely dumbed-down and requires very little thought and skill compared to previous games. The opinion is that it is a bad thing that it's been severely dumbed-down and requires very little thought and skill.

Dumbed down is an opinion. (it's also a pretty aggressive judgment of the people that like it, you are quite to blame for things turning for the nasty). I would say streamlined.

You can measure involvement, but personally I was much more involved with this game than previous entries. Even that it requires very little thought and skill is an opinion, as I would say the earliest Tomb Raiders had a lot of trial and error in its exploration--basically bump into walls until you find something. That the tombs here are signposted (in a rather nice 'indigenous people' kind of way I might add) increases the thought you as a player put into it, as you start working towards the tomb teleologically, effectively making predictions and strategizing. Sure, the finding is a lot easier, but again it is a matter of opinion whether one is more important than the other.

Mman235

You can measure involvement, but personally I was much more involved with this game than previous entries. Even that it requires very little thought and skill is an opinion, as I would say the earliest Tomb Raiders had a lot of trial and error in its exploration--basically bump into walls until you find something. That the tombs here are signposted (in a rather nice 'indigenous people' kind of way I might add) increases the thought you as a player put into it, as you start working towards the tomb teleologically, effectively making predictions and strategizing. Sure, the finding is a lot easier, but again it is a matter of opinion whether one is more important than the other.

This comparison doesn't even make sense. You don't find TR2013's tombs through some sort of logical extrapolation of the geometry and visual design, you find them because there's a "SECRET TOMB NEARBY" prompt flashing on the screen and random glowing paint telling you exactly where it is. Conversely, you have to find things via extrapolation in the earlier games because there's nothing else guiding you to things, and the tighter, heavily interlinked level design (where you can frequently puzzle out exactly how things come together) inherently supports that approach compared to the pseudo-open style of the reboot.

I am one of the few people who never played this game. So I picked it up when Amazon had it for $40. So far I am loving it. Very much Uncharted like. I did play the early TR games on PC back in the day, but I honestly do not remember them much. I am going to finish this game rather quickly it seems, but will probably not dabble in the multiplayer and just trade it or sell it when I am done. I doubt I would play through it again honestly.

Just make sure you avoid the save corrupting sequences (Google them). My game crashed 85% of the way and I couldn't recover it.

RagnarokX

Allright this is very different from what you said previously though. You said

Dumbed down is an opinion. (it's also a pretty aggressive judgment of the people that like it, you are quite to blame for things turning for the nasty). I would say streamlined.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dumb down

to lower the level of difficulty and the intellectual content of

There is nothing wrong with the use of "dumbed down" because that's what the game is. Saying the game is dumbed down isn't calling the players stupid, it's saying that the game is simplified and requires less skill apart from the combat.

Tomb Raider mostly wasn't "bump into walls until you find something" and that's partially true of any game that isn't as linear and signposted as Tomb Raider 2013. Usually you'd enter a large room and see places you can get to but can't reach and look around trying to figure out how to reach what you can see. In the reboot there are only a few areas where you can go multiple ways but those ways are all very linear, extremely signposted, and require almost no skill. Whenever you have to get somewhere in the reboot there is always a very obvious and linear path to get there. The platforming is is also dumbed down partially because Lara's abilities have been greatly stripped down. She can no longer sideflip or backflip, and all jumps are pretty much magnetic where as long as you run and jump in the direction you need to go you will make it. Timing and distance are a distant memory. They try to make it feel like what you're doing is challenging by randomly having Lara lose her grip/balance and throwing a QTE at you. They brought back the grab button... I guess that's nice. If only there was any danger of missing a jump.

The hidden tombs aren't just signposted with wall paintings. Those wall paintings glow and you get a chime and HUD indicator popping up telling you one is nearby. Not like they're hard to find even if they didn't have all of that stuff. Apart from one in shanty town they are sitingt out in plain sight along the linear paths you have to traverse. No thought put into finding them at all.

Just finished the game. Really great ride. Thanx devs. The next uncharted will really need to step it up.

Some things were a bit weird, mostly lara's facial expression and lack of emotions and the weird weird hair. I apprecite the effort but it doesn't look or behave natural.

Will buy a sequel made from the ground up for next gen.

It's the best game on ps4 right now imo.

Tex117

Banned
Damn, picked this up for 40 bucks on the ps4 and really enjoyed it.

IMO, better than Uncharted 3 and a step below uncharted 2. That said, I liked the combat and less "enemy wave" in Tomb Raider than Uncharted.

I do wish there was more time to have with the game when its quiet. Nice ambient music, solving puzzles.

Big thumbs up from this gamer.

Nizz

Damn, picked this up for 40 bucks on the ps4 and really enjoyed it.

IMO, better than Uncharted 3 and a step below uncharted 2. That said, I liked the combat and less "enemy wave" in Tomb Raider than Uncharted.

I do wish there was more time to have with the game when its quiet. Nice ambient music, solving puzzles.

Big thumbs up from this gamer.
Agree 100% with this. I just finished the game a couple of days ago and I really enjoyed it. Having played and loved the original Tomb Raider games and loving Anniversary and liking Underworld I had my doubts about this new reboot.

While it is different from the originals I do like what they have done here. The game was just damn fun to play. When I wasn't playing it it would still be on my mind and I was eager to get to playing again when I got home from work.

I'm now going through the game and picking up whatever collectables I missed out on, made easier thanks to the fast travel campsites. It was a surprise that some of the camps were still populated somewhat with enemies. Combat to me is so good in this game. And like Tex117 said there aren't these huge waves of seemingly non-stop enemies like in Uncharted 3 (one of the reasons I didn't love the game).

I'm playing the PS4 version and the graphics and framerate are really, really good. I would probably be a little bummed out if the next Tomb Raider doesn't run at 60fps
like this one does. But just a little because if this game was cross-gen and it looked this good I can only imagine a TR game made from the ground up for this new gen.

Very happy that I skipped this game the first time around and jumped in fresh with this version. Very satisfied. :)

Carnby

I finally finished it up, and while I enjoyed most of the game, the last hour was awful in both game play and plot. Just awful.

admartian

Pretty much this.

I also notice this in a lot of other game threads. The wine-swilling, nose-up snobs on their high horses like to parade-rain.

Not sure why. I don't get onto people that enjoy X game (namely MP games - I'll voice my displeasure at MP-focused games, but I wont have a go at the games itself or the genre, or the people that like them).

Nor wilI try to convince them that "I'm right" either.

Gah, this game it OCD fuel and I think I've run into a bug that won't let me collect a GPS cache. I'm trying to collect one on Mountain Village (co-ordinates: 53N 712455, UTM 3416175) and there's nothing there. I've fast travelled to another location and then back again and reloaded the game but there's still no GPS in that location.

edit: Ok, nevermind, another fast travel then a fast-travel back fixed it :/

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Just finished this last night, I'll be mopping up the collectibles this evening. Anyone want to start a club to help each other get the online trophies?

Top Bottom