• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4 = ~60fps, Xbox One = ~30fps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shut the fuck up with your hopeless spin.

Is it really a spin when I'm just explaining why I'm buying the inferior version, when you guys seem to be wondering why I'm doing it? Not trying to spin anything.

The PS4 version is the superior version as far as performance goes, and the powergap is ridiculous and Microsoft has made a huge blunder they're already paying for, and will continue to pay for. Tomb Raider is Definitive on the PS4, and isn't on the Xbox One. Not trying to spin or deny anything. Microsoft failed hard by giving Sony a 30%/40%(50%?) advantage, and they're getting the inferior version because of it.

Mumford

If this is the beginning of a trend, then I made the right current gen console purchase for me. I'm glad to see that the MS parity contracts aren't affecting the ability of Square to have their game push the PS4 despite the fact that the same technical feats aren't technically achievable on the Xbone. It's still kinda crazy to see this big of a difference in this big of a release if it turns out to be true, though.

Soi-Fong

He may have a point depending. While people may talk about the game reaching 60fps I'd also like to know how low it can go - specifically in areas like the Shanty town, with the new effects and hair physics. My beefy PC had problems from time to time but especially there.

If the framerate has high highs and very low lows I'd rather it was locked too. It all depends.

EatChildren already stated that from what he played the dips were there, but nothing too major. (I'm hoping it goes no less than 50 fps)

Not sure what levels he played though.

Tsundere

Banned
Is XBO confirmed to be a locked 30?

Eagerly awaiting Arthur giving the XBO version a higher score because the PS4 version runs at 60 fps only 95% of the time, unlike the XBO version running it at 30 fps 100% of the time.

Sounded more like they're aiming for minimum 30fps on Xbox One, didn't say they achieved it, so most likely not locked 30 at the moment.

koutoru

Eagerly awaiting Arthur giving the XBO version a higher score because the PS4 version runs at 60 fps only 95% of the time, unlike the XBO version running it at 30 fps 100% of the time.
It can go up to 45 fps when nothing's happening on the screen. So, no it's not locked.

VmM0PA4.png

Don't the majority of console games run at unlocked frame rates? Vsync is too expensive, no?

But this is the Definite Ripoff Edition. I don't really see how this matters. I guess maybe for folks who haven't played it yet but I don't think a bump in graphics and some better framerate will make me give another $60 to Square. Sorry not really sorry.

Begaria

Even more.

No. no, noooo, you've got it all wrong! Once Microsoft allow their top Tier developers to pass out their trade secrets, unlock the stacked die which holds the dGPU, get the cloud calculations going, and update their drivers, there's no way the Fogstation Fogur will be able to withstand the Xbox One's (all in one entertainment) massive 4.2 TFLOPS!

lol, you know I've been a GAFFER too long when I saw the OP title and immediately exclaimed "Ooooh Shiiiit" out loud, followed by my wife asking "What, what's wrong?"

Soi-Fong

Is it really a spin when I'm just explaining why I'm buying the inferior version, when you guys seem to be wondering why I'm doing it? Not trying to spin anything.

The PS4 version is the superior version as far as performance goes, and the powergap is ridiculous and Microsoft has made a huge blunder they're already paying for, and will continue to pay for. Tomb Raider is Definitive on the PS4, and isn't on the Xbox One. Not trying to spin or deny anything. Microsoft failed hard by giving Sony a 30%/40%(50%?) advantage, and they're getting the inferior version because of it.

Hey, it's your choice in the end what version you decide to get. It's your money. I just think some people just have a problem with your post history is all.

Tagyhag

Well at least you're being honest. Back when this game was 30fps on both systems everyone who was going to buy it was saying "Oh but framerate doesn't make matter in this game! Besides I can barely tell the difference!"

Heh, I'm not surprised at the immediate change following these news, it has happened in the past.

Toki767

So if the game runs an average 60fps on the PS4, does that mean there might be some stuttering here and there for the times it runs over 60fps like what happens in Call of Duty Ghosts?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I called it in the other thread that the XB1 version would be able to hit around the 45fps mark. Nice job with the PS4 version though, I'll probably end up getting it when I finally get the system, and the game will be cheap by then.

The way I see it, both versions were locked at 30fps up until recently when all the backlash came about the game being the "definitive" version and only being 30fps. Devs were obviously worried about sales being affected so they went ahead and unlocked the frame rate at the cost of having it fluctuate. I'm glad they unlocked it since judder doesn't bother me, I'm used to that with my underpowered PC.

I hope people will stop complaining now, though.

The backlash happened like a week or two ago. The game would have been printed before that. It would take a patch for the frame rate to be unlocked

Skeff

Both are variable, XB1 is usually around 30fps and can sometimes get up to 45fps in some rare occasions. Honestly it seems from what I read that the PS4 version may have a more consistent fps.

The variable framerate excuse is simply BS. The XB1 has a variable framerate, the PS4 is 60fps with Dips, 99% of 60fps games have dips. "locked" framerate is quite simply bullshit, there is no way to lock a minimum framerate only a maximum, so in actual terms, the PS4 is the only one that has a locked framerate in the sense that it is locked below 61fps.

Speedy, you're spinning so hard Tony Hawk is impressed

Goddamnit man. Every time I see you post it's like watching home video of me being told Santa Claus is
real

Piggus

Lol @ xbone. I really hope this trend does not
continue for Microsoft's sake.

I hope it does so that the PS4 versions of the games I buy aren't intentionally gimped just to appease poor wittle Microsoft. Microsoft does not deserve some sort of bullshit parity just because they CHOSE to run with less powerful hardware. You provide less powerful hardware, you get worse looking/performing games. That's how it works. They chose to place emphasis on media features and Kinect, not a powerful game console and now they're paying for that.

Madness

Sad thing is, I still will probably buy an Xbox One, solely because I like the controller and hope Halo 5 is good. Damn my love for Halo.

Like I'm over the age now where I need the best, whether I'll notice these things. As long as Xbox One is getting Halo and gets at least some form of these multiplatforms I'll be happy. There's no way, with both having paid services I could support buying both as it is. I rarely play much.

Edit: damn, top of the page. I just can't believe how the cheaper console, is quite more powerful. If I was recommending a new console to a brand new gamer, no clue about gaming, I'd say get a PS4.

sn00zer

lol, you know I've been a GAFFER too long when I saw the OP title and immediately exclaimed "Ooooh Shiiiit" out loud, followed by my wife asking "What, what's wrong?"

Ive done that before with the KH3 gameplay trailer....having to explain yourself is always funny

mechphree

So now we are going to debate 60fps? I'd rather have unlocked 60 then a locked 30 if I could choose..but those are just my PC gamer eyes.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i hope this enthusiasm for 60fps continues going forward. it's been strangely absent of late.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
To the guys saying that posters have said framerate is more important than resolution and are now saying framerate is not important, please quote them as I like to keep up with who is disingenuous.

I only think this is a big deal in as far that it's a regular port that shows quite a disparity in power of the two competing consoles. I don't mind framerate that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom