• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4 = ~60fps, Xbox One = ~30fps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll probably pick this up on the XB1 too. Using the OneGuide, that has has all your favourite channels. All your favourite shows. All with the sound of your voice is too good to pass up.

*digs into wallet*

Here you go.

maxcpm.jpg

Antonio-Banderas-computer-you-got-me-yospos-reaction-13677939419.gif

Didn't Digital Foundry try to prove (with mathemagics) how it would be impossible for PS4 to get double the frame rates as Xbox One? And here we are... Double the average frame rate.

That was when we:
Thought the Xbox One had the superior CPU (which turns out false)
Before we knew how much more power hungry the Xbox One OS is.

Things change...

Lol arthur gies is mad that the ps4 framerate isnt locked
He may have a point depending. While people may talk about the game reaching 60fps I'd also like to know how low it can go - specifically in areas like the Shanty town, with the new effects and hair physics. My beefy PC had problems from time to time but especially there.

If the framerate has high highs and very low lows I'd rather it was locked too. It all depends.

ViciousDS

Banned
It's already an achievement to hit 60. TressFX practically guarantees a fluctuation in performance on even top-end PC's.

yes Tress-FX is fricken a nasty hit on the frames at sometimes even my GTX 680 was like WTF is that.....and then it would run perfectly fine at 60...............probably better performance on AMD cards as they did develop it but TressFX seemed to work fine for the most part on Nvidia hardware.

Timu

I can't say I'm shocked at this news. I think this will all depend on the lead platform for each game.

I imagine games that are targeting 1080p 30fps on XB1 will hit closer to 60fps on PS4 (TR).

Games that are targeting 1080p 60fps on PS4 will be 720p or 60fps on XB1 (CoD).

Games that are targeting 1080p 30fps on PS4 will be 900p on XB1 (ACIV).

Finally, games targeting 1080p 30fps on BOTH consoles will have less special effects on the XB1 version (NFS).

I'm curious to see if this holds up.
Yeah that could happen more as the gen progresses,

BFIB

If the One is already showing this much of a gap now, what's it going to be like in a few years?

its not a matter of running better then ps4. it wont (or at least shouldnt for any conceivable reason). its that i have a hard time believing that the difference will consistently yield twice the framerate. a quickie port from the previous gen is just that, a quick port. i cant imagine they wanted to spend a huge amount of time in porting the game to each systems specific strengths. fact of the matter is, the ps4 should be easier to port over and get great results without much tuning. the x1 should be able to be closer to the ps4 version, but with much more effort put in.

again, i may be proven wrong, but i'm not ready to concede 30 vs 60 as the norm based on this example.

You are trying to rationalize now. This is Crystal Dynamics, not some hack small time developer. They have the man power and backing plus they took the pc version and spent a year at least porting and adding to this version. The gap is real. Sure in time the dev kits and os will get more efficient but it will be like that with both xbox one and ps4 and nothing will fix the fact that the esram footprint is way too small for next gen assets.

But can it run Crysis?

No but for real, can Ps4 run Crysis 3 at full native 1080p with most of the settings set to ultra or very high? Doubt it. But a graphics card in the $300-400 range can.

PC already had the "definitive" Tomb Raider at the game's launch.

I know, right? Damn console peasants.

MormaPope

Banned
I'll probably pick this up on the XB1 too. Using the OneGuide, that has has all your favourite channels. All your favourite shows. All with the sound of your voice is too good to pass up.

You can WATCH Tomb Raider with Angelina Jolie and PLAY Tomb Raider at the same time! Ultimate value!

sn00zer

I can't say I'm shocked at this news. I think this will all depend on the lead platform for each game.

I imagine games that are targeting 1080p 30fps on XB1 will hit closer to 60fps on PS4 (TR).

Finally, games targeting 1080p 30fps on BOTH consoles will have less special effects on the XB1 version (NFS).

This seems likely and rational.... I think the only difference most of the time we will be seeing from multiplats is resolution and FPS and MAYBE some minor effects like AA implementation or draw distance

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I'm very surprised... that people are surprised. The reason '8 gigs GDDR5 lolz!' became a meme was because based on the leaks and rumours we had at the time that RAM increase put the PS4 miles ahead in terms of performance when added to their better GPU.

Everything after we confirmed the specs was just damage control. Before we knew anything we all assumed that the two machines would come in roughly equal, but once we knew what was in them it was clear that they just aren't. Nothing has changed, nothing WILL change. Before they even launched we could guess that we were going to see differences like this all generation. That's exactly what happened at launch, it's happening now, and it will obviously happen in the future. It's gonna be old news in a year. Feels like old news already.

The question is whether the mass market will care. Your average Joe will NOT be able to tell the difference - I learned that when comparing BF4 on XB1 and PS4 with some Canadian friends this Christmas. They couldn't see any differences at all. But if a mass media perception arises that the XB1 has the gimped version of all multiplats then in time that could affect sales as the knowledge spreads to even your most mainstream consumer.

We'll see how it goes.

(Also, I would still totally play the game at 30fps. Just sayin')

Even if the average joe doesn't know or care, the price advantage will always work in the PS4's favor. Like it did tremendously for the 360.

That's a pretty brutal summary.

Chobel

Also, by Voice Commands I mean more than the in-games "Fire", etc. I mean being able to just come home and switch to this whenever I get bored of Battlefield 4/Peggle 2, and be able to snap Netflix and catch up on some shows while I mindlessly replay this for the Achievements. (bolded this because this is my main reason)

While it may look to me that these are some weird reasons (imo of course), I can respect that, everyone have their own preferences.

Again really weird imo.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Did you notice any screen tearing?

No. But despite being an avid PC gamer over consoles, I'm weirdly desensitised to screen tearing, so if it's there and minimal I may not have noticed it.

Is XBO confirmed to be a locked 30?

Eagerly awaiting Arthur giving the XBO version a higher score because the PS4 version runs at 60 fps only 95% of the time, unlike the XBO version running it at 30 fps 100% of the time.

Momentary

Banned
That outpouring of complaints brought that "I was misquoted" line up real quick. I guarantee you that both games will be locked at 30 FPS on day one with an update on the same day to make them have variable frame rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom