• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4 = ~60fps, Xbox One = ~30fps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I missing something? I'm sure every review editor out there has their own personal preferences.

I mean, there's been plenty of shit to toss his way over the years, but just saying he prefers the Xbox ecosystem doesn't seem in any way dramatic. Some people just do.

It means the overall feature set and how those services interact and interface across multiple devices.

The same person who already dissed the PS4 version of a game he's never played for not being vsynced to 30 frames because of something that doesn't exist....

FTF

GAF, you are slacking. This should be 15 pages by now.

But you're on page 19?

Anyway, have this on PS3 but never finished it so will probably just trade it in and def get the PS4 version when it drops to $40 or so in a month or two.

quetz67

Banned
trbanderas.gif
Do I need to see a difference?

I'll believe it when I see it. Remember ps4 cod:ghost was supposed to be 60fps at 1080P..
Turns out you needed a patch to make it 1080P. Unfortunately that patch didn't fix the framerate issues.

I expect ps4 TR to have the same framerate issue. I'll take balanced 30fps over inconsistent 60fps.

Both consoles have unlocked FPS so I guess you'll take none of it. 45fps in empty space for X1 vs 60fps on avg throughout, I'd say the PS4 is more "balanced."

B.O.O.M

I've already played the game once, and I'm rebuying it mostly for the fun of it and to boost my gamerscore a bit more, since I failed to do so with the Xbox 360. If I was as invested into PSN's Trophy as I was with Gamerscore, I would definitely buy it on PS4 instead.

Also, by Voice Commands I mean more than the in-games "Fire", etc. I mean being able to just come home and switch to this whenever I get bored of Battlefield 4/Peggle 2, and be able to snap Netflix and catch up on some shows while I mindlessly replay this for the Achievements. (bolded this because this is my main reason)

Framerate is important to me, definitely more important resolution, but since I've already played this game, I care a little bit less.

Heh. Either way, he was never wrong. Both versions do run at 30 frames... minimum. PS4 just gets double the performance.

Hey man fuck netflix..you should watch seattle seahawks! Maybe even make a bet or two

http://thegamingadvisory.com/index....definitive-edition-running-at-60fps-and-1080p

CONFIRMED BY SCOTT AMOS (exec producer on TR:definitive)

Click 50:35 on the video, he confirms PS4 is running the game at 60 fps

Quoting this so others see. It's Confirmed for anyone who had doubts :) Notice how he made sure to just comment on the PS4 version?

lol you always bring the goods

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I've already played the game once, and I'm rebuying it mostly for the fun of it and to boost my gamerscore a bit more, since I failed to do so with the Xbox 360. If I was as invested into PSN's Trophy as I was with Gamerscore, I would definitely buy it on PS4 instead.

Also, by Voice Commands I mean more than the in-games "Fire", etc. I mean being able to just come home and switch to this whenever I get bored of Battlefield 4/Peggle 2, and be able to snap Netflix and catch up on some shows while I mindlessly replay this for the Achievements. (bolded this because this is my main reason)

Framerate is important to me, definitely more important resolution, but since I've already played this game, I care a little bit less.

Heh. Either way, he was never wrong. Both versions do run at 30 frames... minimum. PS4 just gets double the performance.

EsYQnFU.gif

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I think this will become quite common. Witcher 3, Destiny, Dragons Age 3, etc.

Funny thing is, I did not see a MASSIVE difference between the PS3/PS4 videos ... so seeing they had to make a compromise on the X1 version should speak volumes.

I wouldn't count on Witcher 3. They're the only third party developer that have said the X1 is 'easier' to develop for. I've just got this gut feeling ...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Well I'm happy about this... Just because I have a PS4 so I get an even prettier game than I was led to believe.

....ok, ok... There is a hint of schadenfreude and delicious GAF drama involved ;)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You'll notice that I never commented on the price difference between the two consoles. That was on purpose, because I'm not interested in talking about which console will "beat" the other. I was simply saying that I don't think the power difference between the two consoles will have a huge impact on sales. I pulled that 30,000 number out of my ass -- it wasn't meant to be literal.

Sure, that makes sense. But I still think that's a tiny minority of people.

It is, I'm not arguing that though but we are definitely a small minority.

Oh man, don't telegraph you are on team 50ppp.

yo this.

I can bet you right now that the witcher is taxing more than enough. Just see the vidoes about the game.

Then perhaps they're trying to dampen any early talk about a framerate difference which may negatively impact the sales of their One version?

Hell, maybe they'll even go with the extreme measure of locking the PS4 version's framerate to match the One's version so they can side-step the conversation entirely. I bet they'll be watching this TR release and how it affects gamers' buying decisions...and I bet they won't be the only ones watching.

Soi-Fong

I wouldn't count on Witcher 3. They're the only third party developer that have said the X1 is 'easier' to develop for. I've just got this gut feeling ...

It's the same with me. They're the only developers who've stated that.. It's hard to believe them what more appearing in their E3 Presser.

I'm not expecting them to hold back the PS4 version, but I'm pretty sure they'll be spending lots of time trying to optimize the XB1 version instead of maximizing the PS4 version.

Bsigg12

The Kinect ecosystem?

As much as people hate the kinect, I really do enjoy walking into my living room, saying "Xbox, On", grabbing a drink from the kitchen, then saying "Xbox, go to 'game' or 'Twitch' or 'Youtube' or 'watch tv'". It's really a neat thing.

i'm not denying that. never have (once we knew what the systems were). but i dont think that 30 fps versus 60 will be the norm.

maybe i'll be proven wrong - but this doesnt convince me.

How much of a gap do you expect to see? For me it makes sense. We don't know the CPU specifics of the PS4 but benchmarks showed it's faster than XB1. We also have the GPU which we know for a fact is significantly more powerful on the PS4. We then have the memory which the PS4 has a larger pool of fast memory making it more flexible. There's also the OS overhead and the more straightforward architecture of the PS4.

Isn't it weird that we're only find out about this days before its released? Not to go into conspiracy territory but this is kind of a big deal considering resolutiongate.

TyrantII

It's interesting to me that CDPR seems to think that the two versions will be basically identical.

Don't think we've heard much talk of the others though.

720P60 vs 1080P60 or 1080P60 vs 1080P30 is basically the same trade off. Both are about a 50% reduction in rendering. Thats not nothing.

Someone else can chime in, but I'd wager it's slightly more costly to render additional frames than it is to render additional pixels per frame. In that regard this title might be preforming better than earlier games with the 1080/720 dynamic.

CD also probably picked 1080P over 720P60 due to the use of high resolution 2K textures. Seems they really focused on pumping up the IQ, at a framerate trade off.

jayu26

Actually, at least here in Australia the PS2 was being sold for a higher price than the Gamecube and Xbox.

That really cheesed me off at the time.

We are talking about real world, not some weird dimension that you live in...lol.

Yeah, SCE is weird like that. I feel for Australian and Kiwi gamers every-time they get shafted. We Canadians get shafted too, but not as often.

nib95

Banned
Damn. It's good though. Any developer that doesn't make use of the PS4's extra hardware muscle is doing a disservice to gamers imo.

Also, all the PC pushers who were laughing at the PS4 not being able to run this game at 60fps because it's weak should get in here and eat some crow.

This is coming from someone who doesn't own a PS4, and does 90% of his gaming on a PC.

I don't know. They are talking about PC owners having plenty of time to upgrade. They can do PR speak all day and night, eventually they are going to have to compile that X1 code, put it onto a disc / server and send it out.

PR can only take you so far, eventually reality will have to set in.

GHG

Gold Member
As much as people hate the kinect, I really do enjoy walking into my living room, saying "Xbox, On", grabbing a drink from the kitchen, then saying "Xbox, go to 'game' or 'Twitch' or 'Youtube' or 'watch tv'". It's really a neat thing.

Yeh I'm sure my wife would love that...

She'd tell me to stfu and use a controller/remote. But this is a discussion for another thread...

I'm actually REALLY surprised the PS4 version is running at 60fps. I know it's TECHNICALLY cross-gen, but the game looks really graphically good with a huge amount of improvements.

Really? It's not like it needs a super computer to run the PC version at high settings with TressFX enabled (though Nvidia cards do struggle a bit with TressFX, as it hasn't been optimised for their cards) and it's far from the prettiest game around (some bits look really good, some bits look really ugly and the animations are horrible), so I thought it was a joke when they were talking like both versions were only 30fps, even with all the improvements.

Ooh, been a while since I've seen this terrible argument.

Because obviously the most powerful console has also reached the market at the same time and at a lower price than its competition before. -.-

Sony is going to win this generation on price, not perceived power. If the systems can play the same multiplats, 90% of people won't care one way or another about 720p versus 1080p, or 60 fps versus 30 fps. They'll buy what their friends buy for COD or Battlefield.

Bsigg12

LOL

where is Albert anyway, is he ok?

Sorry to quote you again, but I think he has finally learned to avoid social media unless he has something 100% concrete in front of him. He hops on here from time to time but doesn't post, and he isn't on Twitter as often.

Man, if there's already such a massive gap in multiplatfom game performance, I can't wait to see what Sony first party devs will do with the system in a few years time.

quetz67

Banned
One is obviously 30 and one is 60 fps. If you're viewing on a slow computer/tablet/phone you probably won't see the difference.
Watching on iPad, will check later on PC. But probably won't be able to see it, I never could tell if a game is 60fps.

I wish they added more effects instead or improve geometry or whatever. That way everybody could see the difference, not just NeoGAF.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
By the way, I was one of the people who shat on this "definitive edition" stuff when the game was only 30fps. I immediately shot it down because of that. Now that it's 1080p and 60? I'm buying. The price tag is a bit much but I never bought the original so it doesn't annoy me too much.

Hell, as a a matter of fact, I might just buy a PS4 earlier than I planned so I can give this thing a whirl.

Next up: Destiny at 60 on PS4.
I'm totally starting to expect this. The game does not look that graphically intensive and Bungie and Sony have been brewing up a bromance for some time now.

At this point I would even say such an announcement wouldn't even surprise me. The internet will melt if it does happen I can assure you of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom