• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4 = ~60fps, Xbox One = ~30fps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baki

There is something that needs to happen.

"30FPS is more cinematic"-guy

vs.

"30 or 60FPS...there is no difference anway and as kids we didn't even know what framerate is"-guy

I know there are plenty of these guys here on GAF. Let them clash, please. I want to read it.

Bud was trolling you guys lolol

KageMaru

On topic, I imagine this has to leave quite a few Xbox One-only owners pretty disillusioned with the console. A lot of early adopters buy these consoles for the graphical leap from the previous machines. If I had just plucked down $500 on a machine and am constantly reading how this $400 machine continues to get significantly better ports I'd be getting pretty agitated at this point.

So I guess the question is, are the exclusives and the perks brought by the OS/Kinect worth the inferior 3rd party ports?

I don't have a Xbox yet but from my friends that do, they don't think there is any consistent significant gap. We've discussed it plenty of times and more often than not they don't consider 900p vs 1080p as significant as many gaffers do. I texted them about this news but haven't heard anything back yet. I would think a frame rate gap would be more noticeable and a bigger deal than a resolution gap.

I do think it's too early to question whether or not the exclusive features/games are worth the asking price. I find it hard to believe the system won't get great exclusives even if it is weaker than the ps4.

frogg609

I wonder if there will come a time where this is just the norm for any dual platform release? I own both systems, but I was really hoping that the XBOX One would be able to hang with the PS4 overall, it really sucks.
Most funny to me was that I bought most dual platform releases on XB360 last gen. This time it's totally switched. Sony has really stepped the game up big time.

Eurogamer said:
"Both platforms offer the same outstanding Tomb Raider experience," a Square Enix spokesperson told Eurogamer.

"Delivering the core Tomb Raider gameplay at native 1080p and running at 30fps was always our primary goal given the type of experience Tomb Raider is and the exploration we want players to do. Anything beyond 30fps for this version is gravy."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-23-tomb-raider-definitive-edition-is-60fps-on-ps4-report

Surely that is literally a lie?

jem0208

Welp, first time I've felt actually kinda bummed out about the Xbox specs.

I can live with a lower resolution but having a lower framerate kinda sucks. 30 fps is fine, 60 is just better :l

I'm assuming they both look identical though? If that's true then I'm not so bothered, I think I would have preferred have a lower resolution though.

newsguy

I wonder if there will come a time where this is just the norm for any dual platform release? I own both systems, but I was really hoping that the XBOX One would be able to hang with the PS4 overall, it really sucks.
Most funny to me was that I bought most dual platform releases on XB360 last gen. This time it's totally switched. Sony has really stepped the game up big time.

Same here. I owned both and PS3 was my bluray player and exclusives machine. I forsee the Xbone being my exclusives machine this gen.

i-Lo

Oh, I'm not actually going to read anything. I just want to see the video comparison with hard FPS numbers. =P

But you should remember that 30fps is better than unlocked framerate because of controller lag.. or that is what I have been told because so far most of the games released so far have had locked framerates.

TyrantII

Did the same thing affect PS3 owners when the shoe was on the other foot or did they suck it up and get on with it?

They watched HD movies, seeing as the game drought was 10 fold worse for almost a full year.

Luckily HDTV and HD media was a new, exciting thing. XB1 guys only have kinect to look forward to.

If you only care about Xbox exclusives the why not get the superior multiplats on PS4? If you own both why not take advantage of that fact?

Why are you getting the Xbone version? Humor me.

There are other reasons to get it on XB1. Some people like the achievements, quick access to their XBL friends list, party chat with XBL friends, achievement challenges, voice navigation, snap features, Skype (this is nice for when I don't hear my phone and wife wants to get in touch with me lol), etc... it's not so cut and dry. I'm buying TR for PS4 since it's a single-player experience and I want the improved frame rate, but for some multiplayer games I may go with XB1 versions to play with my XBL buddies, play exclusive content, or for some of the reasons I mentioned earlier.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the controller too. I love the XB1 controller.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Is this game even worth picking up? I would imagine its a very linear experience and a lot of rinse and repeat type of game play.

It lacks the atmosphere, tension, and challenge of older tomb raiders and it's waaaaaaay toooooo eassssyy. Not just combat, but the "puzzles" as well. And for a game that wanted to focus on Lara's character, they failed to give her a cool or even sympathetic one. The method in which you traverse through the game is cool; you use a combination of rope arrows, a pick axe for climbing, and good 'ole running and jumping. There's also collectibles scattered around the game which I actually enjoyed getting, especially since the collectibles take on a different form depending on what area you're in. You don't really get anything for the collectibles though, maybe concept art here or there that you could probably otherwise just google. Stealth and combat are both half baked. For stealth you get a baby mode xray vision mechanic and for combat there's these upgrades you can do on your weapons that are fairly extraneous even on the highest difficulty and Lara also has these kill moves you can perform on stunned enemies that like, you have to buy for each weapon and they all do the same shit with each weapon (that being of course killing)

It's a thoroughly OK game. If you want something to play on your PS4 and have an extra $60-$65, I don't think you'll go wrong. The production value in some parts is really impressive. It's a spectacle game. Rollercoaster.

Lima

Why are you getting the Xbone version? Humor me.

Because why not?

I only play with the dualshock when I have to (as in exclusives that are only on Playstation). I dislike the controller that much that I'm willing to accept a worse looking game.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I can live with a lower resolution and I can also live with 30fps. But the fact that the PS4 has double that framerate is kinda a bummer.
Think positive. Think Speedy Blue Demon.

The Xbone and PS4 version both run at 1080p and 30fps. The PS4 just twice as well.

He and I have back and forth "debates" just about every night now. Essentially, his argument for everything is "BUT TITANFALL!"

We made great strides last night though, as he admitted power advantage was with PS4:

XxlzLd1.png

cKzwi9U.png

0mwZfyz.png

I'm in it with this kid for the long game. I want to break him down over time until there's nothing left.

Good luck with that.

I really enjoyed it but going by what you are saying you probably won't like it. There are somewhat open areas but they are not large. Also yes kill kill kill.

I loved Uncharted and bought all 3, but there's no real replay value in linear games (opinion, not a fact). Sony, please make this a free PS+ game.

Thanks

molnizzle

But you should remember that 30fps is better than unlocked framerate because of controller lag.. or that is what I have been told because so far most of the games released so far have had locked framerates.

I do hate unlocked frame-rates. Really made Shadow Fall unpleasant to play through. That's another reason why I'm waiting for hard numbers. If the fluctuations the OP describes are in the 55-60 range, fine. Hell, even 50-60 would probably be fine (pushing it though). If we're talking fluctuations between 40-60... that's too much. I'd rather it just be locked at a constant 30 in that case.

KageMaru

Did the same thing affect PS3 owners when the shoe was on the other foot or did they suck it up and get on with it?

But it is embarrassing that this is becoming a 'thing' now. If some devs are having this much trouble keeping parity with such early games it doesn't bode well unless MS gets it's ass in gear. Time and money will probably ease these issues somewhat but it's still a damm shame as the actual exclusives for the X1 are pretty good.

There isn't anything MS can really do to close the gap much. They made their bed with their misguided priorities and now they have to lay in it.

All they can do is hope the average consumer is not bothered by any gaps in performance when playing these games.

EL CUCO

He and I have back and forth "debates" just about every night now. Essentially, his argument for everything is "BUT TITANFALL!"

We made great strides last night though, as he admitted power advantage was with PS4:

XxlzLd1.png

cKzwi9U.png

0mwZfyz.png

I'm in it with this kid for the long game. I want to break him down over time until there's nothing left.

"U a pony tho" I lol'd

I loved Uncharted and bought all 3, but there's no real replay value in linear games (opinion, not a fact). Sony, please make this a free PS+ game.

Thanks

There is multiplayer in this game and all the DLC is included. I'm not sure how big this community will be, though (likely small).

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Yeah this thread has been going a while. I thought I was hallucinating when I saw the title change. Man, half the frame rate is really a very big difference. Even in the worst of the PS3 vs 360 face offs was there ever a such a huge performance discrepancy?

You'd have to be really crazy to pay almost a 100 quid extra for that much real world disparity in performance. Or really like Kinect...

Edit: Oh sh*t this is not the OG Tomb Raider DE thread but a brand new one. Already 60 pages...

I really don't get this kind of thinking. Is really all people think about paying the smallest amount of money possible when a difference as small as 100$ for a minimum 5 year console life is nothing? when I was working at minimum salary it didn't affect me. I owned both consoles last gen (all 3 if you count the Wii which I barely touched) and I can honestly say that I went with the Xbox One, fully knowing it was gonna have "inferior" hardware (I still think Sony got lucky they could double the RAM, really would have liked to see what would have happened had they not been this lucky and ended up with 4 GB instead).

There are tons of people who favor the other system for the "superior" OS (IMO), better game selection (I am not getting a PS4 until uncharted 4 as there is nothing interesting on the system right now) and what a lot of people believe to be a superior online experience.

I really don't get all of the dick waving going on with these threads, acting like your console preference is better than the other. Value is different for everyone. I own a 2500$ PC and I find it was worth every penny. And currently, I find the value proposition of MS better than Sony's, and knowing that one version of a game will have a better frame rate than the other doesn't affect my decision at all or doesn't make me regret anything. Did people who bought PS2s regret their purchases when the cheaper and superior GameCube had better versions of games? You guys can argue all you want, but I don't see any real proof right now except from some unnamed source, so maybe people should wait until we have confirmation from the developer, as last time I heard they said both versions would be 30fps.

Also, is there really a point in making a thread for every multi platform game saying the PS4 version is/ will be better? I think it is quite obvious and not worth mentioning every time. It's not threads like these that will make outside people change their mind and make them get the system you want them to get, or the value proposition you think is better. They can definitely make that decision themselves, just like I and all of you have done. There isn't no right or wrong here!

Linconan

hmm..

Tomb Raider Ps4 Definitive Edition
Tomb Raider X1 Not So Definitive Edition

*scratches head*..
hmm, ok then.

Still not encouraged to re-buy. Hell, if they (devs) can't even equal each systems Port, maybe it'll be time for Sony and Microsoft to announce the re-release of the Next Gen Definitive Consoles Edition.

*rolls eyes*

PJV3

I have zero fun trying to figure out who is joking around or not.

You probably take these things more seriously than I do, that's totally cool.
I've owned winners and losers in the specs wars since the ZX spectrum days, this time it looks like I will own the winning console, I've enjoyed everything about this gen from the announcement, to the tech debates and now the real world results.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
but I don't see any real proof right now except from some unnamed source, so maybe people should wait until we have confirmation from the developer, as last time I heard they said both versions would be 30fps.
The Executive Producer has confirmed several times the PS4 versions is running at 60fps.

Literally spent half the morning trying to catch up from last night. Just curious to those who've already played this last gen. Is the thought of getting to play this in 60fps warrant a $60 purchase? $40 purchase? What's the lowest you are willing to go til you can say it's worth playing the same game again with an improved frame rate?

I guess I'm more worried about total sales from this relaunch. If SE was upset at last gen sales, either they are playing with house money or they are gonna have bad time when first week sales are gonna come out, at least that's how I'm picturing it.

I still see no point to this game, but I hope for future X1 multiplats they just drop to 900p (or lower if needed) and keep the framerate consistent.

Tapiozona

Banned

Do you really own both systems or is that just a tagline to give you unbiased street cred? Your post history would seem to indicate you don't own a One

I really don't get this kind of thinking. Is really all people think about paying the smallest amount of money possible when a difference as small as 100$ for a minimum 5 year console life is nothing? when I was working at minimum salary it didn't affect me. I owned both consoles last gen (all 3 if you count the Wii which I barely touched) and I can honestly say that I went with the Xbox One, fully knowing it was gonna have "inferior" hardware (I still think Sony got lucky they could double the RAM, really would have liked to see what would have happened had they not been this lucky and ended up with 4 GB instead).

There are tons of people who favor the other system for the "superior" OS (IMO), better game selection (I am not getting a PS4 until uncharted 4 as there is nothing interesting on the system right now) and what a lot of people believe to be a superior online experience.

I really don't get all of the dick waving going on with these threads, acting like your console preference is better than the other. Value is different for everyone. I own a 2500$ PC and I find it was worth every penny. And currently, I find the value proposition of MS better than Sony's, and knowing that one version of a game will have a better frame rate than the other doesn't affect my decision at all or doesn't make me regret anything. Did people who bought PS2s regret their purchases when the cheaper and superior GameCube had better versions of games? You guys can argue all you want, but I don't see any real proof right now except from some unnamed source, so maybe people should wait until we have confirmation from the developer, as last time I heard they said both versions would be 30fps.

Also, is there really a point in making a thread for every multi platform game saying the PS4 version is/ will be better? I think it is quite obvious and not worth mentioning every time. It's not threads like these that will make outside people change their mind and make them get the system you want them to get, or the value proposition you think is better. They can definitely make that decision themselves, just like I and all of you have done. There isn't no right or wrong here!

A few good points here about value proposition, but you're generally better off pointing out examples when you mention things like dick waving, and thread whining is pretty frowned upon here. As far as the source is concerned for this news... it's very solid. You need to be aware of that. This isn't cboat coming into a thread with no reputation on the line.

Lima

Dualshock 3 or Dualshock 4?

All of them. I even was mainly a Playstation guy (still had the other consoles) during PS1 and 2. I'm sick of that pad. The design sucks. They improved the DS4 somewhat but that is not really surprising given where they came from.

The Bone pad on the other hand was improved so much that the 360 controller (which I loved for 8 years) feels like shit now.

So I'm kind of in a tricky situation. I don't necessarily want to play the worse looking version but the pad is more important than graphics for me just because I hold the damn thing in my hand all the time.

I remember getting most of my multiplats on 360 because they ran better, most of the time it was marginal. About 5 fps increase, less pop-in, etc but otherwise identical.

Looks like PS4 is going to be the multiplat machine this time around. (If I ever get a XBO)

The PS3 got reamed for over 3 years for its issues with multiplatform titles. Now its time for the Xbox One to get reamed and the circle is complete.

If you can't deal with that, then play it on your mighty PC. The worst part is that the difference between each console is much bigger than it was between the 360 and PS3.

Nafai1123

Banned
Literally spent half the morning trying to catch up from last night. Just curious to those who've already played this last gen. Is the thought of getting to play this in 60fps warrant a $60 purchase? $40 purchase? What's the lowest you are willing to go til you can say it's worth playing the same game again with an improved frame rate?

I guess I'm more worried about total sales from this relaunch. If SE was upset at last gen sales, either they are playing with house money or they are gonna have bad time when first week sales are gonna come out, at least that's how I'm picturing it.

I have no doubt the game is going to sell fairly poorly, due to it already being played last gen and the small install bases. But I suspect the port wasn't a expensive venture and they are expecting to make money on it even with low expectations. They should be fine.

ChuckNyce

$30 would probably be the sweet spot for me to double dip on the PS4 version. I enjoyed the game well enough on PC though my rig is aging and I spent most of my playthrough fiddling with settings to get a good balance of quality and performance. I probably averaged 30FPS for the most part without Tress FX on medium/high settings I think.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I have no doubt the game is going to sell fairly poorly, due to it already being played last gen and the small install bases. But I suspect the port wasn't a expensive venture and they are expecting to make money on it even with low expectations. They should be fine.

S-E and low sales expectations do not mix. They're one of the dumbest companies when it comes to predicting sales.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

Read a little further in the thread - confirmed by the executive producer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom