• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Game Informer Info [Update 2: Multiplayer Jobs (Co-op/PvP) Post 892]

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I would like to see them move away from regular combat altogether with the encounters that ARE present being more unique and challenging.

Kittonwy

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Someone should call Mikami and tell him that Uncharted is the real inventor of over-the-shoulder TPS aiming.

I mean what is RE4 anyway? Is that a PC game?

Mikami should wise up and realize that over the shoulder TPS aiming should allow the player to shoot while side-stepping/stepping forward/stepping backward.

Salaadin

dark10x said:
I would like to see them move away from regular combat altogether with the encounters that ARE present being more unique and challenging.

This would be ideal. Even doing away with animal attacks would be fine by me. Lara has bad luck with running into rabid animals on her journeys or something.

szaromir

Banned
That was meant to read as additive as appose to corrective. I don't remember the over the shoulder aiming in RDR, or any game before RE4 actually. I think what RE4 really did was change the focus of third person shooters from shooting as fast as possible to as accurate as possible, by requiring headshots mostly, sometimes arms etc depending on the instance.
Splinter Cell already did that before RE4. There were 2 or 3 sections in Pandora Tomorrow where shooting was pretty much required and it required waaaay more precision than RE4 ever did. Obviously that wasn't the focus of the series.

Ghost Recon 2 also head over the shoulder camera before RE4. There were other games, too.

It's a survival/adventure, you're on some mysterious island. The combat system should be whatever the hell you have(bow, machete, fire) are your weapons. No running around guns a blazing.
Bow isn't a "whatever the hell you have" weapon. It requires years of training to hit your targets reliably.

StuBurns

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Mikami should wise up and realize that over the shoulder TPS aiming should allow the player to shoot while side-stepping/stepping forward/stepping backward.
Aston-Martin-Vanquish%20S.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
dark10x said:
I want combat to be like the bear sequence in Condemned 2.

I've already accepted Tomb Raider is no longer going to be the old Tomb Raider. People don't want to look at the environment and plan how they're going to get up to that cliff. They want action, not elaborate ancient puzzles. There's going to be shooting, much more than before. No point in overhauling the aim system if you're going make less use of it.

Stallion Free said:
I want combat to be like the bear sequence in Condemned 2.
That's not combat. It's how to run away from a script.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Stallion Free said:
Exactly. Combat should be run for your life. You are young and inexperienced.
I could do with another game Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, sure. Combat involves running for your life, and creating obstacles between you and your pursuer.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
marathonfool said:
I've already accepted Tomb Raider is no longer going to be the old Tomb Raider. People don't want to look at the environment and plan how they're going to get up to that cliff. They want action, not elaborate ancient puzzles. There's going to be shooting, much more than before. No point in overhauling the aim system if you're going make less use of it.
That's a pathetic outlook.

Danielsan

marathonfool said:
I've already accepted Tomb Raider is no longer going to be the old Tomb Raider. People don't want to look at the environment and plan how they're going to get up to that cliff. They want action, not elaborate ancient puzzles. There's going to be shooting, much more than before. No point in overhauling the aim system if you're going make less use of it..
Well you'll probably be right in saying that there will be more shooting than before. But you are dead wrong in saying that there is not point in overhauling the aiming system otherwise. The shooting in the previous Tomb Raiders was fucking atrocious. Hell, the the shooting in the demo of Underworld is the reason I didn't buy the game.

Kittonwy

Banned
marathonfool said:

That's not combat. It's how to run away from a script.

If there is going to be more shooting as you're suggesting then there's even more reason to make the shooting system better, if you're getting shot at then there should be a cover system, if people don't want to look at Uncharted, they can look at Infamous which does platforming and shooting very well.

Kittonwy said:

You forgot "while backflipping".

vanquish-o.gif

szaromir

Banned
Kittonwy said:
If there is going to be more shooting as you're suggesting then there's even more reason to make the shooting system better, if you're getting shot at then there should be a cover system
Short answer: no. Long answer: nooooooooooooo.

StuBurns said:
That was meant to read as additive as appose to corrective. I don't remember the over the shoulder aiming in RDR, or any game before RE4 actually. I think what RE4 really did was change the focus of third person shooters from shooting as fast as possible to as accurate as possible, by requiring headshots mostly, sometimes arms etc depending on the instance. One thing I don't like about the 'superior' Wii version is it takes away that tension. The whole gameplay of RE4 was that tension of being accurate under pressure, something significantly hurt by the Wii controls.

It wasn't really a focal point, but when you go into Dead Aim mode or lean out of cover the camera zooms in over Red's shoulder. It's particularly noticeable when you use rifles.

Fimbulvetr said:
You forgot "while backflipping".

vanquish-o.gif

How the hell do you do this? I finished the game last night (best title in its genre imo) and never once tried this.

Danielsan said:
Well you'll probably be right in saying that there will be more shooting than before. But you are dead wrong in saying that there is not point in overhauling the aiming system otherwise. The shooting in the previous Tomb Raiders was fucking atrocious. Hell, the the shooting in the demo of Underworld is the reason I didn't buy the game.
The shooting was just there to break up all the platforming and puzzle solving. Most of it was innocuous since you were basically shooting and dodging. The TR games weren't about shooting anyways.

Kittonwy said:
If there is going to be more shooting as you're suggesting then there's even more reason to make the shooting system better, if you're getting shot at then there should be a cover system, if people don't want to look at Uncharted, they can look at Infamous which does platforming and shooting very well.
I rather they go away from human enemies, at least, those that fire guns. Maybe some type of experimental human mutant and local wildlife.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Kittonwy said:
someone hasn't played one of the best games released this year

I NEED SCISSORS said:
How the hell do you do this? I finished the game last night (best title in its genre imo) and never once tried this.
hit the aim trigger right after meleeing with... hmm, I think it's the heavy machine gun? one of the weapons, anyway.

StuBurns

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
I'm not sure which bit, but he's thrown a grenade, rolled forward, slowed time while rolling and shot the grenade in mid air.

Rez said:
You and I, we are one.

Kittonwy said:
The problem is vanquish has no platforming, the control scheme isn't right for something like Tomb Raider.

I wasn't suggesting a TR game actually play like Vanquish(how would Lara even use boost? :lol ).

Kittonwy

Banned
Rez said:

hit the aim trigger right after meleeing with... hmm, I think it's the heavy machine gun?

Meh. I have Vanquish, I just don't feel like starting it right now, bigger fish to fry (GT5/Uncharted 2 extra-cash hannuka week), etc, etc.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
well, as long as you try it one day.

szaromir

Banned
macfoshizzle said:
i would be perfectly happy with a uncharted 2 clone
How about Uncharted 3? Around the same time you'll have Gears of War 3, another cover shooter.

Kittonwy said:
So you would rather have Lara stop the bullets with her face instead of hiding behind a rock?
I don't want my environment filled with chest high walls and enemies being bullet sponges. It's not like protagonists in cover shooters aren't bulletproof either, as pretty much all of have rechargable health.

I NEED SCISSORS said:

Melee with the Heavy Machine Gun is a backflip.

From there you just go into AR Mode(you don't have to hit enemies with the HMG melee to do this).

Also shooting grenades in mid air makes them explode.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
macfoshizzle said:
i would be perfectly happy with a uncharted 2 clone
Go play Uncharted 3. It's made for you.

Kittonwy said:
So you would rather have Lara stop the bullets with her face instead of hiding behind a rock?
Yes, because I play videogames and in videogames we don't have to come up with bullshit excuses as to why they are unrealistic. You know, like OH SHIT LARA'S LUCK IS RUNNING OUT I WONDER IF A BULLET WILL HIT HER.

I doubt there'll be a cover system(assuming most of Lara's enemies don't use guns, or are even human).

While I can see the captain guy turning on her late in the story, I seriously doubt he brought enough people and supplies with him to warrant the game being based entirely around a cover system.

Kittonwy said:
Lara will be fighting non-human enemies so therefore there won't be that many shootouts. She looks to be fighting krakens and some dude with a trident spear. I'm okay with that and if monsters are the most common enemies, I'm okay with no cover too provided there's a dodge move.

Salaadin

marathonfool said:

Sure there is. It could simply be a way for them to free up buttons for more actions.
In Underworld, R1 was shoot. L1 was lock on. R3 was manual precision aim.
By giving the game free aim, theyre freeing up 2 buttons to do other things and you no longer need to hold down 2 buttons in order to lock on and shoot....you just point and fire.

I think its going to be closer to the old Tomb Raider than you think. I dont know a single person whos played old Tomb Raider or recent Tomb Raider and walked away with the thought "Gee, that game couldve used more combat!". If anything, its the opposite.
Old fans, new fans...doesnt matter. They love Tomb Raider for what it is. I dont think CD is stupid enough to completely disregard the 2 million people that bought Underworld because they wanted adventure action as opposed to action adventure.

This thread is proof enough of who CD needs to cater to.

shidoshi said:
Hahahaha... if only you saw the type of assets companies usually give out. Getting 5000x5000 images was considered a great day.

Edit: Oh, and this is the best new avatar on GAF.

rble1l.png

:3 thank you~

StuBurns

Banned
Kittonwy said:
I liked the demo but I wasn't crazy about the controls.
Indifferent2.gif
The controls aren't any different of course, but the impression the demo leaves (for me at least) is really very different to the real game, what you need from the controls generally is more quick reactions and the ability to implement them as appose to the more complex and slower traversal focus of the demo area. It's surprisingly linear and narrow compared to the arena area in the demo.

Gribbix

GI Feature: The New Lara Croft
We went through an exhaustive process once we finished the concepts. We came up with the characteristics of a girl that we wanted, and then we did a casting session and cast a couple of models that had different characteristics we liked. The bone structure was important, but we also didn’t want to get a model that was too sculpted. We wanted a little bit of that baby fat – just a little bit of roundness on the face to give her that more youthful look. We full-body scanned both of them to capture those traits before we started our own model
The cumulative damage and wear and tear on the clothing is where evolution comes through in the outfit. I’m very excited to see that manifest throughout the game. Lara is just surviving from beginning to end. Through her situation her outfit is going to show the accumulation of that survival story. That is going to mean discoloration and rips and tears. That will sort of progress throughout the entire adventure. There will be other gear and items that will accumulate and change her look a bit, too.
dl0rP.jpg

Dennis

Banned
Small breasts. I like it, she looks far more natural now.

:lol that is one sinewy man arm she has there, though.

TheOddOne

charlequin said:
This is far and away the best look Lara has ever had. I like it a lot. I can't believe Crystal Dynamics has gotten me interested in a Tomb Raider game. :lol
Its the lips, man. Those beautiful lips.

DennisK4 said:
:lol that is one sinewy man arm she has there, though.

'man-arm'? WTF? Maybe if you're using Orlando Bloom as the standard.

She climbs shit for a living, she's bound to have some definition there. Also I wonder will she still be a reech beech in this reboot?

Top Bottom