• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Game Informer Info [Update 2: Multiplayer Jobs (Co-op/PvP) Post 892]

The cumulative damage and wear and tear on the clothing is where evolution comes through in the outfit. I’m very excited to see that manifest throughout the game. Lara is just surviving from beginning to end. Through her situation her outfit is going to show the accumulation of that survival story. That is going to mean discoloration and rips and tears. That will sort of progress throughout the entire adventure. There will be other gear and items that will accumulate and change her look a bit, too.
So I guess a bit like The Prince in PoP: Sands of Time, hmm... I thought it was going to be a more dynamic affair to be honest.

Added link for new page:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...urvivor-is-born_3a00_-the-new-lara-croft.aspx

We knew we wanted to make a young Lara Croft, and we wanted her be a blend of someone that has a level of vulnerability and inner strength. She has this aspirational quality. She wants to be someone and to pull away from the perception of who she is because of her legacy of being a Croft.
So she's still rich and probably british, that's good, I don't mind keeping that as part of her character.

Hellion

Fimbulvetr said:
You forgot "while backflipping".

vanquish-o.gif

Mikami = always takes 2 steps forward and 1 step back always.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I love the new design. Lara finally looks human.

I've actually liked all of Lara's recent outings. I thought Underworld was okay. I thought Legend and Anniversary were flawed, but I enjoyed them a lot.

I'm just a sucker for Tomb Raider, and this sounds great.

FunkyPajamas said:
So she's still rich and probably british, that's good, I don't mind keeping that as part of her character.
Which is why the bow is such a great choice as a weapon for her. Archery just seems to me like the kind of sport a rich girl would be into. It's got a kind of upper class air to it, like horseback riding.

Pctx

Banned
Read the entire article in my new game informer. I'm really jacked and hope they can pull this off. A reboot of a series I'm finally looking forward to. Let's hope we get a new game every 5 yrs instead a rushed turd evey 2-3 yrs on the designers premise of Lara.

Yoshiya

New look is perfect. When given that bit of extra time, Crystal Dynamics deliver something amazing. Add that to the next Guardian of Light DLC pack and I'll actually buy it.

Grisby

Got the GI in the mail the other day and was able to look over all the scans. Damn, CD makes some good looking games.

I'm really digging the survival concept too. Everything from the article sounds so intense.

Interested to see how this turns out, given that I have a never been a fan of tomb raider since its inception....this does look interesting though. I see this an uncharted aiming to offer pretty different experiences. New design looks alright. She looks like some frightened waif... a more 'realistic' take should be interesting. Seems like they are taking elements from MGS3 with the survival and eating etc.

I am curious, not hyped. Yet.

Boglinus said:
Which is why the bow is such a great choice as a weapon for her. Archery just seems to me like the kind of sport a rich girl would be into. It's got a kind of upper class air to it, like horseback riding.
Ayup, now that you put it that way it makes sense. I want to see more!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Everybody keep saying the Lara model looks like Hillary Swank, am I the only one who sees a Jessica Biel lookalike?

dfog3.jpg

So... according to Stallion and few others: Cover mechanics equal more shooting? which entails more action and bullet-sponge like enemies?

What if, what if Eidos develops a hiding mechanic? instead positioning yourself behind a rock/wall/etc. in order to retaliate... you hide behind said rock and/or wall to well... hide? employ stealth tactics? shield against/hide from dangerous conditions?

Since "cover" can only clearly be used to shoot people from.

Sounds like TB will be what I've be wanting from the series for a long time.

Salaadin

Archaix said:
Everybody keep saying the Lara model looks like Hillary Swank, am I the only one who sees a Jessica Biel lookalike?

I can kinda see it but Im not sure if its just my brain channeling Blade 3

jessica-biel-blade.jpg

Holy smokes batman, if the game finally delivers I will be there day one, legendary edition and all that shit!

Its also for PC, right?

The new Lara croft looks sooooooooooo good.

Salaadin

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Holy smokes batman, if the game finally delivers I will be there day one, legendary edition and all that shit!

Its also for PC, right?

Yeah, the website shows PC, PS3, 360.

turk128

Salaadin said:
I can kinda see it but Im not sure if its just my brain channeling Blade 3

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g142/jooshh/jessica-biel-blade.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Nice catch guys... if this new Lara had just a couple more pounds of muscle, she would have been spot on Blade 3 Biel.

[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/wl8vgz.jpg

mujun

So let me get this straight before I jump on the engine of the hype train and start stoking the furnace like a man possessed :D

This game is going to be open world, action adventure and require you to do things like hunt and maintain your equipment???

If this turns out like a modern day action adventure version of Fallout New Vegas or something then color me really excited to get my hands on it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
mujun said:
So let me get this straight before I jump on the engine of the hype train and start stoking the furnace like a man possessed :D

This game is going to be open world, action adventure and require you to do things like hunt and maintain your equipment???

If this turns out like a modern day action adventure version of Fallout New Vega
s or something then color me really excited to get my hands on it.

No. That synopsis would be almost entirely wrong.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Tigel said:
Is it wrong that I'm more excited about this than the new Uncharted (and I LOVE Uncharted)?
My excitement level for both games is about the same. Any shiny new piece of info from either camp will likely tip the scales, all the way up until their release days.

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
So... according to Stallion and few others: Cover mechanics equal more shooting? which entails more action and bullet-sponge like enemies?

What if, what if Eidos develops a hiding mechanic? instead positioning yourself behind a rock/wall/etc. in order to retaliate... you hide behind said rock and/or wall to well... hide? employ stealth tactics? shield against/hide from dangerous conditions?

Since "cover" can only clearly be used to shoot people from.

Sounds like TB will be what I've be wanting from the series for a long time.
A reasonable notion I can agree with. If a cover mechanic were introduced, it doesn't automatically equal endless amounts of bullet-sponge combat. It can be used for many non-confrontational or stealthy purposes. That possibility has me even me more excited, actually.

It's a bummer how people often jump to such binary conclusions regarding the inclusion of certain gameplay features. There's always room for innovation when designers iterate on familiar concepts, or at least it can lead to some surprisingly satisfactory compromises.

Finally got my issue. I have mixed feelings. I like what CD is doing with the gameplay but I don't like where their taking the tone. I hope the game isn't just dead serious from start to finish with constant blood and foul language.

I haven't really been interested in Tomb Raider as a franchise since the first game. I've played a few of the games here and there, but I was never really in love with the franchise.

This new look and direction could do it, however. I absolutely love everything I am seeing and hearing from this.

Ellis Kim

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
Interested to see how this turns out, given that I have a never been a fan of tomb raider since its inception....this does look interesting though. I see this an uncharted aiming to offer pretty different experiences. New design looks alright. She looks like some frightened waif... a more 'realistic' take should be interesting. Seems like they are taking elements from MGS3 with the survival and eating etc.

I am curious, not hyped. Yet.
wat

I am not sure if you understand what the word "waif" means, let alone "frightened."

Unless you're not referring to the promo asset that's been plastered around this thread and you're actually referring to the mag's screen shots, in which case "waif" would have to be reinterpreted as using the definition of "homeless," instead of "unhealthily skinny."

Also, you need to play some Tomb Raider Anniversary. Anyone in this thread who's never played a TR game needs to play Anniversary. Its like Uncharted, but with better/more platforming and less shooting
people

However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't mind her looking unhealthily skinny.

Mr_Zombie

BrLvgThrChmstry said:

If you put it that way, then yes, I'm all for cover mechanics.

Ellis Kim

Banned
ResidentDante said:
I'm going against all the breast-whiners in the thread here and just saying: I want 'em bigger! :D
Whiners? What whiners? People seem to like her more realistic look (and size).

Dennis

Banned
Ellis Kim said:
wat

I am not sure if you understand what the word "waif" means, let alone "frightened."

Unless you're not referring to the promo asset that's been plastered around this thread and you're actually referring to the mag's screen shots, in which case "waif" would have to be reinterpreted as using the definition of "homeless," instead of "unhealthily skinny."

Also, you need to play some Tomb Raider Anniversary. Anyone in this thread who's never played a TR game needs to play Anniversary. Its like Uncharted, but with better/more platforming and less shooting
people

However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't mind her looking unhealthily skinny.
Its nelsonroyale. You will learn to ignore him.

Suairyu

Banned
Oh GOD this looks good. Love the new character redesign. CD attempted to do a slightly more realistic model with Legends, but that was pretty much thrown straight out for Anniversary. Glad to see a return to (and next step on from) that.

I'm with the "we LOVELOVELOVE Uncharted but this is more exciting to us" crowd, too.

That new redesign is looking really nice.

I like the idea of a reboot as well. I played and enjoyed Legend and Anniversary (and I'd love to get to Underworld as well if Steam puts it up cheap) but I'm glad that they are not just going to run the same formula into the ground until folks stop buying. Sounds like this might still be a ways off, but I like what I'm hearing so far.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
BowieZ said:
Drake and Croft don't have to compete. Buy both. Play both. Kill in one and solve the other.
Exactly, I am buying UC3 day 1, but it scratches a whole different itch than TR and people are being straight up misleading by comparing the two.

mujun

recklessmind said:
No. That synopsis would be almost entirely wrong.

Really?

I read up on the game on wiki and it said that you need to find food and water (hunting right?). It's open world and you need to set up camps.

Sure it's not exactly New Vegas but what I meant was a game that has a post apocalypse feel (read it's all about surviving) in an open world with light RPG elements and more of an adventure tilt than an action one.

Still you seem to know more than I do so I'll trust you to set me straight :D

Color me slightly more intrigued than I was before. I'm still proceeding with caution. Plenty of "reboots" have underdelivered lately.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
mujun said:
Really?

I read up on the game on wiki and it said that you need to find food and water (hunting right?). It's open world and you need to set up camps.

Sure it's not exactly New Vegas but what I meant was a game that has a post apocalypse feel (read it's all about surviving) in an open world with light RPG elements and more of an adventure tilt than an action one.

Still you seem to know more than I do so I'll trust you to set me straight :D

"Scavenging" would be a more appropriate description than hunting -- though the specifics are unknown. And it's not open world in the Fallout sense (thank fucking god) most people are interpreting the article to mean it's a semi-open world. Something more like Metroid, or Batman:AA... maybe a hub world. Can't say for sure what exactly the resource management will be like, or how the world will be designed, but it seems pretty clear it won't be like Fallout. That game is on the far end of the open world spectrum, and TR sounds to be a kind of hybrid.

Based on what we've read.

bumpkin

I got the new GI in the mail yesterday and gave the article a read... I've got to say this game wasn't on my radar before, but it definitely is now. Crystal D has always had a knack for making some really compelling and frequently technically stunning games. I for one am excited to see what they do with this new TR.

Top Bottom