• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: How Lara Croft became a game changer - BBC

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Which is exactly the point - because she is a female adventurer, she has to display vulnerability and fragility, while male ones wouldn't have to. But read the thread I linked if you're interested in the entire argument, Cross.
It isn't that she's a female adventurer, I suspect Crystal Dynamics would've gone that route regardless of the protagonist as that seems to be what they wanna make, in the same way that Arno more so than any other AC protagonist stumbles when he does parkour. It's animation detail meant to be more immersive in the long run. Would you say that the game would be better without small details like Lara reaction to the cold?

It's cool and all to humanize characters for certain things but to be honest, a lot of people preferred old Lara because she was cooler. Old Lara had a personality of a power fantasy, while new Lara isn't and tried to be more grounded, which is kind of hilarious because new Lara is the one clubbing dozens of people in the face. Yea I get the new Lara is deep and complex with a lot of subtle things (haven't played Rise yet though), but I found old Lara more appealing because playing with her was like going on an adventure with the equivalent of Indiana Jones. Some people just don't play certain games to be deep, and there is a game about having an adventure exploring ruins, I prefer something Indiana Jones-ish which is why I like old Lara.

Also on a tangential note, I tried Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris on PSN and it's pretty fun. It's basically old Lara, with a whole action-y feel and throws realism out of the door with its elements and level design. It's too bad this kind of theme for Lara is relegated to a side game, since I would like to see a campy off the wall Lara game done in current gen AAA.
She had the personality of an objectified power fantasy, but new Lara, despite the attention to small details, absolutely is still a power fantasy, I mean:
tumblr_nx6sg1ykqS1tm3mspo2_500.gif

she takes no one's shit in ROTR.

She had the personality of an objectified power fantasy, but new Lara, despite the attention to small details, absolutely is still a power fantasy, I mean:
tumblr_nx6sg1ykqS1tm3mspo2_500.gif

she takes no one's shit in ROTR.

Well obviously, since I even mentioned the fact that new Lara is a one man army gameplay wise. The main point is her personality just isn't as appealing to more people (as I said, haven't played Rise but people give me the impression that she isn't very likeable in that). She doesn't really "own up" to her abilities like the old Lara, who knew she can go into the Himalayas and face down tigers and be rather chipper about it. They obviously created the original Lara as "cool" in an action hero personality kind of way, while the new Lara takes a different direction. People just don't like the new direction as much, that's pretty much the gist of it. She isn't as cool and appealing to people like me.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Well obviously, since I even mentioned the fact that new Lara is a one man army gameplay wise. The main point is her personality just isn't as appealing to more people (as I said, haven't played Rise but people give me the impression that she isn't very likeable in that). She doesn't really "own up" to her abilities like the old Lara, who knew she can go into the Himalayas and face down tigers and be rather chipper about it. They obviously created the original Lara as "cool" in an action hero personality kind of way, while the new Lara takes a different direction. People just don't like the new direction as much, that's pretty much the gist of it. She isn't as cool and appealing to people like me.
Play Rise as she takes no prisoners in that game. Both in cutscenes and out of them.

Can we please be done with 'want to protect her' Lara already and go back to badass, confident, adventuring Lara?

Rise is a big improvement but there is still way too much 'watch Lara fall through this floor for the 100th time while she moans and gasps for half a minute' sequences.

renzolama

Can we please be done with 'want to protect her' Lara already and go back to badass, confident, adventuring Lara?

Rise is a big improvement but there is still way too much 'watch Lara fall through this floor for the 100th time while she moans and gasps for half a minute' sequences.

I don't know about wanting to protect her. My thoughts at those times were more along the lines of "goddammit, grab the fucking ledge when I tell you, this is why you're always dying!"

Arklite

Decent but brief article. For a more thorough history of the character and the games the GameTrailers retrospective is an excellent piece.

Part 1
, Part 2, Part 3

Sort of interesting and odd how currently both 'new' and classic Lara exist side by side with Keeley Hawes still voicing and acting out twin pistol Lara in the overhead co-op games.

Vex_

Banned
I liked old lara better. She seemed more "in control"?

This lara seemed kinda crazy tbh. She also was scared for the entirety of both games she was in. Like, even though she was killng badguys... It was weird. Her actions didnt match up with what she was saying and feeling.

On the other hand, old lara was very different. Every action (gymnastics, gun animations) looked like they were done by someome who knew what they were doing. Old lara took ownership. Everything felt very intentional with her. Nothing felt out of place with her on screen emotions imo.

tbm24

You could gender-swap her with other male adventurers in video game culture and realize how rarely it is to see the main character clutch themselves in the face of coldness. Plus you even have the male Noah not being bothered by the cold in that opening sequence. Her entire characterization is in line with the whole "you'll want to protect her" design philosophy that Crystal Dynamics have approached the franchise with. Again, a simple gender-swap will highlight how rare it is to ever see a male character performing and showing the same vulnerability and same exhaustion and fragility that the new Lara Croft displays.

The thread I linked should answer your questions or at least outline my argument in detail. I think it is fairly evident that the voice direction, the voice performance, the animation of the character, and the storyline (e.g. being saved by Noah, going on adventures because of daddy issues, etc.) point towards a less independent and a more fragile characterization of a previously empowered gaming icon (albeit visually sexualized)
In regards to the issue of being affected by the cold, I honestly think it's rather accurate. Myself and other men that I know are way more prone to underdressing during the Winter and dealing with it than my wife or female friends are. I get criticized for it a lot as I walk out in 50 degree weather with an open sweater and tell myself I'm dealing with the cold. I don't view her being conscious of the extreme weather she is in as a weakness or an appeal to protect her and warm her up more so Lara acknowledging that it's damn cold.

Arklite

I liked old lara better. She seemed more "in control"?

This lara seemed kinda crazy tbh. She also was scared for the entirety of both games she was in. Like, even though she was killng badguys... It was weird. Her actions didnt match up with what she was saying and feeling.

I think I do too, but the new Lara gets an odd rep. Classic Lara is a larger than life action hero with easy charm and witty quips to match. Rather infallible.

New Lara is supposed to be like an every-girl hardened by circumstance. Problem is the writing sucks at establishing an even tone (their fault), Lara is actually Rambo (combat focus) and some players wrongly view her mannerisms (gasps and groans) as weakness. Overall I think they do pull off the hardened character but the narrative is uneven.

ArjanN

I think I do too, but the new Lara gets an odd rep. Classic Lara is a larger than life action hero with easy charm and witty quips to match. Rather infallible.

New Lara is supposed to be like an every-girl hardened by circumstance. Problem is the writing sucks at establishing an even tone (their fault), Lara is actually Rambo (combat focus) and some players wrongly view her mannerisms (gasps and groans) as weakness. Overall I think they do pull off the hardened character but the narrative is uneven.

I think that's a pretty solid analysis, yeah.

Another thing is that the industry in general seems to have sort of moved on from that typical larger than life action hero character to more nuanced characters, which I think might actually make the new portayal seem slightly less fresh.

Tosyn_88

New Lara is a contradiction in terms of what she is saying and what she is doing. She portrays herself as inexperienced, naive, innocent and fearful but she goes on death lunges, drops from insane heights and she attacks her foes in extreme brutal fashion. It's almost as if the developers pasted a cinderella face on Rambo

Tosyn_88

I think that's a pretty solid analysis, yeah.

Another thing is that the industry in general seems to have sort of moved on from that typical larger than life action hero character to more nuanced characters, which I think might actually make the new portayal seem slightly less fresh.
Noo, not as you think. Most characters still tend to be stuck on super soldier syndrome.

She's become interchangeable!
Give me exaggerated and over-idealised in personality and appearance over average Joe/Jane with Rambo survival abilities.

Top Bottom