• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider I,II,III Remaster (No longer..) Coming to Steam - Realtech VR

JORMBO

Darkness no more
This is pretty neat...
Free if you already own the DOS version on Steam.

Realtech VR have confirmed that Tomb Raider, Tomb Raider II and Tomb Raider III are planned for Steam for free and will require the purchase of the DOS version being sold on Steam (like ZDoom playing Doom games). Also the PC version will support OpenVR and features a new 3D engine for the 3 games.

They are currently working on the Tomb Raider III PC port and they will provide a trailer of it next month (currently scheduled for the 1st of April). They still need the greenlight for mobile version.
More details about these remasters:
- These are the PC ports of the recently released Android/iOS versions.
- The engine was reconstructed for the latest OpenGL. A better looking post process (like better ambient occlusion, shadow), Windows 7 and Windows UWP (with potentially Xbox One version through Windows Store) is already made (and can be seen in the second video).
- The post effect can be disabled (menus are not shown here), you can even switch to the legacy texture packs. Also the added effects you see in the first video were exaggerated on purpose for this build.
- These unreleased versions properly supports Xbox 360/One game controllers, and also bug fixes from the original versions, and includes the Unfinished Business & The Golden Mask DLC packs.

http://www.core-design.com/article73.html

metalshade

Yup, just read about this, pretty excited for these in vr tbh, they've always been on my must play list but never got round to them, cool that they are free to those of us that own them already.
(Fake edit: I just checked my steam list.....I don't own them?! How is that even possible lol.)

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the true tomb raider. Not this crying daddy's girl that has a higher kill count then rambo that is now being shoved down our throats. This lara croft LOVES tomb exploration. If you don't have the originals in your library then consider doing so.

n0razi

Im down if they add a modernized control option... I tried playing OG Tomb Raider 1 & 2 awhile ago and could not understand how in the hell I ever played this game with Resident Evil movement..

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Hoping these come to console with achievements. I had a blast playing these back in the day, would love another trip down memory lane. I already have them for PC, so can play them any time there, but the prospect of playing them as intended would be brilliant.

Are the additional levels and all content included within this release? The Steam version is unfortunately lacking them, which is one of the reasons I haven't played it.

Darak

I really miss those games. They were all about exploring and finding your way through complex environments, traps and puzzles. Modern adventure games don't really scratch that itch.

Tank controls were pretty terribly, though.

sublimit

Banned
Thοse games made me appreciate meaningful exploration,great level design,sound and music,and challenging but also very immersive and rewarding 3D platforming. No stupid XP bullshit to unlock skills,the only skills that were unlocked were your own.

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
THis would be great ignite appearedon, day, Nintendo Switch. Make it a retail release, and throw in the PlayStation and Saturn versions of Tomb Raider 1 just for nostalgia’s sake.

I really should be playing this game.

sublimit

Banned
Regardless of who is responsible for the cancellation i'm sure that if it was in Crystal's power they would have loved to completely erase all first six TR games from history.These games are the complete antithesis to what they have been trying to do with the series ever since they got the IP in their hands.

And now that i think about it i wonder if Tomb Raider as a franchise would have been as popular as it was back in 1996 had instead started with Tomb Raider Legend...

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Looks like this has been cancelled, trouble with Crystal Dynamics:
http://www.core-design.com/article73.html

Realtech had a tweet mentioned as much but that has been deleted and replaced with this one:

Translation: We didn't want to pay these developers. Sharing is for losers. Now watch this drive.

That's too bad, I was really looking forward to seeing this project. The videogame industry really needs to do a better job of preserving its history, and not be so short-sighted and selfish. Hopefully, the idea of remastering the original Tomb Raider games will be revived.

andrespi

This is really sad. I was looking forward to these remaster. I didn't like at all the new reboots, got bored quickly; finished the first one and didn't even bother to finish the second one (arrived halfway then gave it up because I was bored to death).

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Aren't they the people who did the mobile ports?
kinda weird they sent a proof of concept to CD and got a copyright notice.
Guess they got a bit ahead of themselves

Top Bottom