• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

When does US Steam unlock the game, and how much of a pain is it to do the free VPN thing?

Couple of hours until US unlock. Free VPN i've not used, VPN secure has a $2 day trial that I've used in the past and used for the Tomb Raider unlock with no problems. VPN is super easy to do.

Ridesh

Banned
Put me in the
Resident Evil 4 >
Tomb Raider > Uncharted 2 camp.

Awesome game, better than anything I've played since... I don't know, Deus Ex: Human Revolution I guess.

Zeth

This game is really good.

There's much much more to explore than in Uncharted, and I'm having fun doing so. Dat salvage.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Didn't the Saturn version of Tomb Raider have the best version of the console releases? I could of swore I read that somewhere.

The Saturn version of TR was the original, but it was unfinished and buggy as hell. The PSX port was considerably better in every way save draw distance.

I'm a big fan of Uncharted, love the series, I've enjoyed this more though. The story and characters might not be as good as Drake & co but for me the gameplay is better.

I swear if you Tomb Reboot > Uncharted 2 people are exaggerating due to hype, I'm chopping heads.

I'm not picking this up day 1, but whether it's a month or a year from now, I'll remember, and I'll chop heads.

HoJu

This game is really good.

There's much much more to explore than in Uncharted, and I'm having fun doing so. Dat salvage.

Are the rewards for exploring solely salvage and XP?
Or does exploring also help establish the island and its history?

I swear if you Tomb Reboot > Uncharted 2 people are exaggerating due to hype, I'm chopping heads.

I'm not picking this up day 1, but whether it's a month or a year from now, I'll remember, and I'll chop heads.

I'm equally skeptical, but fuck it, I got the PC version for cheap, I'll give you the detailed impressions. I've never lead you wrong, ***_*******
yet

K' Dash

I'll ask again, can anyone post a link on how to set up the VPN? Im on my way home and I'd like to start playing this now.

Played for some hours and I don't agree with this yet, both the story and set pieces I feel uncharted 2 does quite a bit better, plus so far I don't remember any music in TR at all while just bringing up the word music in games starts playing Uncharted songs. Gameplay I will give Tomb Raider the edge and graphics... Mmm, Uncharted 2 does some fantastic stuff but seeing Tomb raider in 1080p and all the jazz turned on is so good too.

My check from Square cleared last night, I'm practically ready to declare this the game of the generation.

More like game of the forever...and I haven't even played it.

Seriously though, I haven't played any of the Uncharted games (PC gamer), so I have no expectations going into this.

Should be interesting.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
for VPN I always run one. It's a pay service that comes with a program to install. Once the program is installed I can select locations to connect to. I use VyprVPN.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
My check from Square cleared last night, I'm practically ready to declare this the game of the generation.

Hm, I don't think Demon's Souls was made by Square..will double check..... NOPE.

Derrick01

Banned

New game hype man. Don't buy into it.

Not that Uncharted 2 is some high bar for the industry or anything.

Lara's crew is terrible. She isn't particularly interesting so far either

Yeah the whole crew sucks, I chuckled at the weirdly misplaced guy
drooling over some girl on a photo and her mom then telling him she is 14 though
KuGsj.gif

K' Dash

for VPN I always run one. It's a pay service that comes with a program to install. Once the program is installed I can select locations to connect to. I use VyprVPN.

Sure there are some free ones, right? I lost my wallet a couple of days ago and I only have cash, just my fucking luck :(

I'm equally skeptical, but fuck it, I got the PC version for cheap, I'll give you the detailed impressions. I've never lead you wrong, ***_*******
yet

*shakes fist at asterisks*

New game hype man. Don't buy into it.

Not that Uncharted 2 is some high bar for the industry or anything.

It's the high bar for these kind of games IMO, that's all.

Aren't you part of the UC3 > UC2 crowd, though? *shifty eyes*

antitrop

Crystal Dynamics will be pleased if it outsells past TR NPD's, but who knows what their expectations are return wise.
I think their marketing budget for this game proves they expect it to do very well.

This game is certainly not being sent out without fanfare. I expect it to sell accordingly, combined with the extremely positive reviews. All the pieces are in place for high numbers.

Derrick01

Banned
It's the high bar for this type of game IMO, that's all.

Aren't you part of the UC3 > UC2 crowd, though? *shifty eyes*

Yeah but I still don't hold it as a high bar for the industry. Maybe for cinematic gaming, which outside of the extremely few games that do it right (like the uncharteds), is my most hated part of this industry.

CadetMahoney said:
Crystal Dynamics will be pleased if it outsells past TR NPD's, but who knows what their expectations are return wise.

I remember seeing SE putting a lot of hope behind heavy sales of this game. I dunno what that means, but it's going to seriously hurt them if it bombs as bad as Absolution did.

There have already been U1 > U2 people...so all bets are off.

But really I've played quite a lot of it now, nearing what I assume is the end.

You know what? I really don't think it is Uncharted at all.

Uncharted = repetitive shooting action, sit back and watch an amazing cutscene or top notch characters bantering away.
Tomb Raider = scavenger hunt with some pretty average combat bits thrown in and some decent scenes here and there.

They are both somewhat trashy fun and both games have some mild platforming links between sections but those parts are neither here nor there. They are actually quite different in focus to me. Sure they have copied the shit out of certain things, but I feel it is very much still a tomb raider game consistent with efforts like Underworld (but certainly not your TR 1, 2 or 3s). They just took what they had in the previous TR games and amped it up considerably.

And for what it is worth...I like the "game" parts better than uncharted 2, but prefer the package of U2 by far overall because the collecting/secrets hunt just doesn't do it for me, and it doesn't have U2's polish to bring it all together.
I wouldn't pay $60 for this, but there are few games where I would pay that amount. At $25-$30 or with the ability to resell after? Yeah it is highly recommended.

Pachinko

Given the lengthy development time and the advertising budget , I'd say they'd be disappointed with anything less then 5 million sold this year.

Also, I hate all of you guys posting screenshots, I was totally waiting until summer to buy this game because I'm still playing metal gear revengeance, buying simcity tomorrow and heart of the swarm next week but all the purdy pictures convinced me that , no , I needed this now for some reason.

My poor wallet this month. I fully expect that bioshock infinite (which I was also totally waiting for summer to buy) will end up getting bought in the same way :(

antitrop

Considering I already have Heart of the Swarm pre-ordered and I'm a huge SC2 fanboy, on top of Tomb Raider to play through this month, the reviews for Bioshock would have to be near-GOTY status for me to buy it on launch.

EDIT: Amazon just e-mailed me a promo code right now for $5. Guess that means I get the game for ~$27, I wasn't expecting that. Amazon is awesome =)

golem

I used incloak.com's free trial vpn to unlock. Download from their site openVPN and their config file, select new zealand, easy peasy. Takes a while to unlock though (30 min?)

antitrop

I feel like anything less than 2-2.5 mil has to be disappointing. Playing the numbers game is always a silly business, though.

GorillaJu

So has anyone figured out the nude code yet? I wanna see a naked lady trudging around corpses and mutilated bodies, covered in blood. If not, a swimsuit (thong pls) would be acceptable.

antitrop

So has anyone figured out the nude code yet? I wanna see a naked lady trudging around corpses and mutilated bodies, covered in blood. If not, a swimsuit (thong pls) would be acceptable.
There will be a texture mod before the end of the month. For better or worse.

Top Bottom