• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

DocSeuss

Anyone playing this with a mouse and keyboard or is it pretty much designed for 360 controller?

I'm playing with M&K. Was loving the game until I ran into a fucking stupid QTE.

Once, so far, I noticed it randomly switched between "mash E" and "mash F" (which doesn't feel right for a qte since they're so close together). It has also said to mash < and > (not the carat symbols, but the directional ones). I've been pressing A and D for those, and it's worked just fine.

This time, though? It killed me. Instantly. Repeatedly. So I tried to use the arrow keys, and it worked. This, of course, is fucking stupid (because I've got my hands on a mouse and a keyboard, see, so pulling my hand off the mouse is inefficient and foolish). But it worked. Then, I died because of the E/F confusion. I did it again a bit later (F is always, apparently, the circle that gets smaller until you can press it), survived, and hit a "mash E" section. Did the circle again. Went into the exact same "mash E" segment, but I died. Noticed just before that while the symbol was identical, the text said "mash F."

Fucking stupid QTE design.

Enjoying feeling acrobatic, loving the shooting, and the game seems to be getting better (barring this awful QTE segment) as I play, but it's got some... problems.

It's like Uncharted if Uncharted had good gameplay, weapons, and AI.

Bit light on the puzzles, but I'm fine with that, and despite being about an hour in, I feel as though the game's not actually got me situated yet. I think once I take care of this next objective, I've finished learning what I've got to learn, and the game's going to open up and be great.

Could be wrong.

JoeFenix

3 hours in and this is a really good game so far, Lara's animations and overall feel are spot on.

The combat is surprisingly fun, other than the shitty supporting cast and some slow mo sections I don't have much to complain about. It's really good!

GenoZStriker

Neo Member
Once you realize the (!) is F and the Hand icon is E then they are no problem. It really should pop up a key bind prompt in that very first section. I died at that boulder 5 mins in like 10 times until I just loaded up the keybinds to see what was up.

I stopped playing, but I thank you so much for this. I swear I got my poor baby Lara raped atleast 5 times by the same guy trying to figure out what to press. The first time it said press [F] to kick in the beginning than completely forgot about it.

Also I am not going to lie, I think I am caught into this, must protect Lara thing. Simply because she is so clueless and adorable.

Ceebs

I'm playing with M&K. Was loving the game until I ran into a fucking stupid QTE.

Once, so far, I noticed it randomly switched between "mash E" and "mash F" (which doesn't feel right for a qte since they're so close together). It has also said to mash < and > (not the carat symbols, but the directional ones). I've been pressing A and D for those, and it's worked just fine.

This time, though? It killed me. Instantly. Repeatedly. So I tried to use the arrow keys, and it worked. This, of course, is fucking stupid (because I've got my hands on a mouse and a keyboard, see, so pulling my hand off the mouse is inefficient and foolish). But it worked. Then, I died because of the E/F confusion. I did it again a bit later (F is always, apparently, the circle that gets smaller until you can press it), survived, and hit a "mash E" section. Did the circle again. Went into the exact same "mash E" segment, but I died. Noticed just before that while the symbol was identical, the text said "mash F."

Fucking stupid QTE design.

Enjoying feeling acrobatic, loving the shooting, and the game seems to be getting better (barring this awful QTE segment) as I play, but it's got some... problems.

Bit light on the puzzles, but I'm fine with that, and despite being about an hour in, I feel as though the game's not actually got me situated yet. I think once I take care of this next objective, I've finished learning what I've got to learn, and the game's going to open up and be great.

Could be wrong.
Never had A&D not work for the side to side QTE's.

I would have already quit this game if I had to play it with a controller though. WAY too much combat that rewards solid aiming. I actually use the pistol a ton even after getting upgraded assault riffles and shotguns. It's super accurate so I can just headshot away.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Only played for 90 minutes, but I'm very impressed. Playing on PC with just about everything maxed and the hair effects on and it looks absolutely brilliant.

Really enjoying just about everything about the game, honestly. Loving that bow!

Only thing I'm not digging is the QTEs, but I think I'll get used to them.

The AI in uncharted is much better than Tomb Raider. It was brain dead there sure, but at least enemies occasionally took cover. Putting their hands over their eyes to hide just isn't effective in this game nor is looking at their mate with an arrow through their head and shrugging it off.

Only thing I'm not digging is the QTEs, but I think I'll get used to them.

They die off...but yeah god I hate the side to side or "mash" QTEs. I don't mind a button press if they really must but having to smash a button isn't atmospheric...I know it is still a game and that game is now pissing me off.

DrBo42

Never had A&D not work for the side to side QTE's.

I would have already quit this game if I had to play it with a controller though. WAY too much combat that rewards solid aiming. I actually use the pistol a ton even after getting upgraded assault riffles and shotguns. It's super accurate so I can just headshot away.

About 6 hours in with the 360 controller on PC, couldn't imagine playing it on M/KB. I also headshot nearly every enemy with bow or pistol. *Shrug*

Ceebs

About 6 hours in with the 360 controller on PC, couldn't imagine playing it on M/KB. I also headshot nearly every enemy with bow or pistol. *Shrug*

I just can't do aiming with a pad. I have never been big into consoles so I was never forced to learn to use a stick to aim. Now years later I still feel like I am fighting with the controller to make it do what I want if I play with one. It's probably exactly how all the lifelong console guys feel trying to play a PC shooter for the first time without a controller.

Even stuff like Just Cause 2 or Saints Row 3 I will have a controller in my lap for the vehicles and switch to mouse & keyboard when I need to shoot things.

GorillaJu

I understand that the opening sequence really doesn't establish a credible threat - Lara will never die since she's the main character and she has a game to play through, and "dying" just means you restart immediately.

It doesn't really bother me, however. It's a fairly predictable game play trope that sets the theme for the game: my poor girl get's her ass kicked, over and over.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

So far, though, I'm just enjoying the atmosphere, enjoying the exceptional graphics, and enjoying the new Lara.

Wish I could run TressFX. I enabled it only for a moment but my framerate dropped to around 20. Getting around 45 with it off, so I'll happily stick with the normal, and perfectly satisfactory hair.

running this on Ultra with TressFX (tried but it knocks off like 20fps and i hate how it hovers over her body) and Tessalation off on my Oc'd 580 and I'm getting an average of ~55fps at 1900X1200. No hiccups so far, game looks amazing and loving the gameplay (save for the shitty QTEs will unlabeled keys...). I love how the UI goes away and only shows up when you pull a weapon out

Skilletor

I understand that the opening sequence really doesn't establish a credible threat - Lara will never die since she's the main character and she has a game to play through, and "dying" just means you restart immediately.

It doesn't really bother me, however. It's a fairly predictable game play trope that sets the theme for the game: my poor girl get's her ass kicked, over and over.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

So far, though, I'm just enjoying the atmosphere, enjoying the exceptional graphics, and enjoying the new Lara.

Wish I could run TressFX. I enabled it only for a moment but my framerate dropped to around 20. Getting around 45 with it off, so I'll happily stick with the normal, and perfectly satisfactory hair.

It's not about not being a credible threat. It's about having very little control over Lara in several instances. The threat isn't about whether or not Lara will die, the tension should come from whether or not the player will succeed and since you'd have to try to fail, the cinematic moments where Lara is in danger fall short. They fail twice since there is no tension AND they've taken control out of the players hands in order to bungle the approach.

diamount

Banned
How to deal with those hanging containers that you're supposed to set on fire? At first I was thinking fire arrows but I haven't seen a way to do that yet.

GorillaJu

It's not about not being a credible threat. It's about having very little control over Lara in several instances. The threat isn't about whether or not Lara will die, the tension should come from whether or not the player will succeed and since you'd have to try to fail, the cinematic moments where Lara is in danger fall short. They fail twice since there is no tension AND they've taken control out of the players hands in order to bungle the approach.

They wean you into more control as you go through the game. The tiny bits of control you have at the start are to introduce you thematically.

Not every game is Half Life 2. If they all were, people would start clamoring for something different from that, anyway.

hitmon

I've played up to the part where you can
fast travel
. TressFX is ok. TressFX hair looks great at times and other times it looks horrible. I think I'm going to continue playing with it enabled. Performance hasn't been too bad so far. The world is a real beauty so far.

sleepykyo

Could be wrong.

Was the
fight off the wolf near Roth's pack
section early on? I was surprised by that as well since most of the qte's only required light mashing, where as that section felt like an old school wrestling game.

Skilletor

They wean you into more control as you go through the game. The tiny bits of control you have at the start are to introduce you thematically.

Not every game is Half Life 2. If they all were, people would start clamoring for something different from that, anyway.

Never played Half Life 2. Don't know what that has to do with anything. I see no reason not be in full control of my character at all times in a videogame. I don't need to be weaned in to anything. The game isn't difficult. There are enough on screen prompts, if I needed them (which I don't), to figure it out. Failing that there's my bat sense. Control by the player is sacrificed in order to achieve an "experience" by the developer. The experience fails since I can't fail, since I can't fail, I feel no tension.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hmm....

Lara is psyching herself up constantly. I suppose it's a good way to keep the player hypothetically engaged, but she converses with herself a bit much for an avatar who isn't a blank slate. Game is fun, though some parts seem a bit less about exploration and more about collect-a-thons Assassin's Creed style.

Just starting to unlock more of the melee combat, decided to take it slow, only have 24% completion, but I need some sleep.

If CD gets to make another Tomb Raider and expands upon some concepts while modifying others, I can definitely see myself purchasing the next one unless somethings fall apart later in the game.

Also, QTE-time has a super short input period, lol. Definitely died a few times to not hitting Y in time even though the prompt was still up on the screen and not "red/failed".

Moff

Sadly, I am a bit disappointed in the game.
No big surprise there, since I never liked either Tomb Raider nor Uncharted.
I hoped this would basically be an uncharted with better pacing, gunplay and a more immersive atmosphere.

I have slightly more fun with this than Uncharted, though. What I like the most are the small tomb puzzles, I didnt even expect them to be in there.
The gameplay in the main part of the game, the shooting, doesnt really hold up though. Its just not satisfying gunplay.

but I will definitely finish the game

Skilletor

Hmm....

Lara is psyching herself up constantly. I suppose it's a good way to keep the player hypothetically engaged, but she converses with herself a bit much for an avatar who isn't a blank slate. Game is fun, though some parts seem a bit less about exploration and more about collect-a-thons Assassin's Creed style.

Just starting to unlock more of the melee combat, decided to take it slow, only have 24% completion, but I need some sleep.

If CD gets to make another Tomb Raider and expands upon some concepts while modifying others, I can definitely see myself purchasing the next one unless somethings fall apart later in the game.

Also, QTE-time has a super short input period, lol. Definitely died a few times to not hitting Y in time even though the prompt was still up on the screen and not "red/failed".

I think it's timing. You have to press Y when the circle lines up or you fail. You can press it too early or too late.

Ceebs

What I like the most are the small tomb puzzles, I didnt even expect them to be in there.
The gameplay in the main part of the game, the shooting, doesnt really hold up though. Its just not satisfying gunplay.

but I will definitely finish the game
Those need to be expanded out to make a larger puzzle and just throw those into the actual story in place of some of the huge firefights. That would make this a much better game.

Barakov

Played for a couple hours. I'm up to
the camp that's on the way to the radio tower
. The game is running decently on my 6850 after I turned off some of the higher demanding settings. I'll echo the sentiment that Lara is way too chatty. She might even talk more than Drake. The QTEs are as obnoxious as I expected. Thankfully, it seems to be the Y button most of the time on the 360 controller.

I'm really enjoying it thus far. I'm really glad I took a chance on it.

Hello,

We're writing to let you know that the following items have been delayed:

"Tomb Raider: Survival Edition (PS3)"
Estimated arrival date: March 11 2013 - March 15 2013

We're sorry for this delay in getting these items to you.

You haven't been charged for this item yet as we don't debit money from your payment card until just before your items are dispatched. We'll send you a confirmation e-mail when your items are dispatched to confirm the date, contents and method of delivery.

Warmest regards,

Nooo, Turkish's misfortune...

Skilletor

Done for the night.

Got to the first big shootout. Beat the DLC optional tomb.

Wasn't really much of a puzzle (I missed something really obvious). Hope the others are more difficult.

Game looks amazing and shooting stuff with the bow is fun.

Spazznid

On either the last or close to last level so far.

I also just started playing in 3d. (1080p @ 24fps, but still playable, hard to aim I'm playing on my Bravia through HDMI, which is the reason for the low fps limit)

OH MY GOD.

I always assumed my TV sucked at 3d, and it kind of does, but at 1080p.... Holy crap. This is the first game to ever move me with it's graphics in a long while. Crysis 3 was great, but I never played it in 3d, I guess I should go do that, but C3 at 24fps sounds terrible...

I just got my Tax money, I should buy a 3d monitor setup... Might start a thread.

Anyways, on the game. Amazing. It's pretty much more than I was asking for. I love how the enemy AI works, I love the climbing. I love the pacing. I even have a kind of small spot in my heart for some of the side characters... a little...little..

I can't wait to finish and replay it for 100%!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just a quick one, just like to point out something regarding some of the complaints in the reviews about the whole first kill thing
I think the problem the game has (and correct me if I'm wrong)
Is that they try to do this first kill and where it fails ultimately is that most its audience it is not their first kill
I actually lined up a head shot in that sequence before the struggle
And think thats the problem
Yeah she goes from innocent to a seasoned killer, but thats because they put a gun in our hands, perhaps they could have
added a disability to it but that would have ruined the game and people would have complained, but I think thats the only flaw here, but thats what I'm thinking anyway
But it didn't stand out as much as the review made it out it does

Moff

On either the last or close to last level so far.

I also just started playing in 3d. (1080p @ 24fps, but still playable, hard to aim I'm playing on my Bravia through HDMI, which is the reason for the low fps limit)

OH MY GOD.

I always assumed my TV sucked at 3d, and it kind of does, but at 1080p.... Holy crap. This is the first game to ever move me with it's graphics in a long while. Crysis 3 was great, but I never played it in 3d, I guess I should go do that, but C3 at 24fps sounds terrible...

I just got my Tax money, I should buy a 3d monitor setup... Might start a thread.

Anyways, on the game. Amazing. It's pretty much more than I was asking for. I love how the enemy AI works, I love the climbing. I love the pacing. I even have a kind of small spot in my heart for some of the side characters... a little...little..

I can't wait to finish and replay it for 100%!
crysis 3 uses only fake 3d, so it wont cost many fps, but wont look really good either.
best 3d game I have seen in the last months was dead space 3.

didnt try tomb raider yet, are you using nvidia 3dvision?
I didnt even bother yet since this game doesnt seem to do anything well on nvidia cards.

GorillaJu

Never played Half Life 2. Don't know what that has to do with anything. I see no reason not be in full control of my character at all times in a videogame. I don't need to be weaned in to anything. The game isn't difficult. There are enough on screen prompts, if I needed them (which I don't), to figure it out. Failing that there's my bat sense. Control by the player is sacrificed in order to achieve an "experience" by the developer. The experience fails since I can't fail, since I can't fail, I feel no tension.

Yes, that's exactly what's going on. Welcome to every argument about story-driven games, ever. It seems silly to buy and play a game on its release day that is very clearly one of these games that sacrifice control for the sake of characterization or storytelling, and then complain about not having enough control.

I don't really like these kinds of games categorically, but there are a few that I do really like, such as Uncharted 2. However I'm not going to be disingenuous and suggest that there is something specifically wrong with Tomb Raider – it's just one of dozens that follow this trend of restricting control of the character to tell the story the writers wrote, show off the tech and try to entertain.

Skilletor

Yes, that's exactly what's going on. Welcome to every argument about story-driven games, ever. It seems silly to buy and play a game on its release day that is very clearly one of these games that sacrifice control for the sake of characterization or storytelling, and then complain about not having enough control.

I don't really like these kinds of games categorically, but there are a few that I do really like, such as Uncharted 2. However I'm not going to be disingenuous and suggest that there is something specifically wrong with Tomb Raider &#8211; it's just one of dozens that follow this trend of restricting control of the character to tell the story the writers wrote, show off the tech and try to entertain.

I'm not allowed to comment on my perceived failure of the developers intent if I think it's possible I'll enjoy some of the surrounding gameplay? Is this not a place for discussion? Could there be no other way of putting obstacles in Lara's way in order to achieve their thematic goals while still ushering me forward with control of my character?

I don't get why people keep telling me not to buy a game I'm willing to try out. As if I should keep quiet because I have issues with the game just because others like it.

I don't really like these kinds of games categorically, but there are a few that I do really like, such as Uncharted 2. However I'm not going to be disingenuous and suggest that there is something specifically wrong with Tomb Raider – it's just one of dozens that follow this trend of restricting control of the character to tell the story the writers wrote, show off the tech and try to entertain.

TR does it quite a bit, though; and in a way that's annoying, i.e. falling down and writhing in pain a lot in order to force empathy from the player for the poor little protagonist who could. I get that it's a pretty thin line to straddle for any developer, but as the law of diminishing returns usually dictates, each successive instance of Lara being trodden on in a scenario where the player has relatively zero control only served to annoy me that little bit more, rather than feel for her and her plight. That's how I felt about it, anyway.

And as others have said, CD can't exactly have their cake and eat it, too. There was a piece of dialogue from Lara to Roth - shortly after popping her enormous homicide cherry, I think - where Roth asked how she was and she said something along the lines of, "oh, they found me so I had to kill a few of them", delivered more or less devoid of any emotion. It was pretty eye-roll worthy, but hey, if you're in this game for the story/character development, you're doing it wrong.

Skilletor

TR does it quite a bit, though; and in a way that's annoying, i.e. falling down and writhing in pain a lot in order to force empathy from the player for the poor little protagonist who could. I get that it's a pretty thin line to straddle for any developer, but as the law of diminishing returns usually dictates, each successive instance of Lara being trodden on in a scenario where the player has relatively zero control only served to annoy me that little bit more, rather than feel for her and her plight. That's how I felt about it, anyway.

And as others have said, CD can't exactly have their cake and eat it, too. There was a piece of dialogue from Lara to Roth - shortly after popping her enormous homicide cherry, I think - where Roth asked how she was and she said something along the lines of, "oh, they found me so I had to kill a few of them", delivered more or less devoid of any emotion. It was pretty eye-roll worthy, but hey, if you're in this game for the story/character development, you're doing it wrong.

Yeah, if I cared about the story at all, this kind of stuff would bother me.

But yeah, taking control away from me is lame. There's a jump in the beginning that there was no reason to miss. I pressed X to pull myself up and, lo and behold, the only reason she didn't make it is because a cutscene activated that took control away. I thought I'd missed a prompt until i slid, intentionally, into a new area.

It’s amazing how different locations feel/look simply due to the different weather effects/time of day.

My mind was blown when I realized that I was back at the area where I got the medi-pack for Roth...

Top Bottom