• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

RagnarokX

Really, after all the reviews, we knew this already. It isn't even a valid complaint if we consider every single fucking videogame does it. I would prefer action with no real threat than boring ass mollasses river that was Okami, FF13 or the new Zelda game.

I feel like the first hour sets the mood up nicely. Shit is fucked up, and you have no choice to survive.

Oh come on, Skyward Sword gets shit on for being "handholdy" even though it's not really where it counts, but this is a lot worse. At least Skyward Sword cut out the forced tutorial bullshit.

Skilletor

Cant really blame when people start to arguing and then the whole thread about his posts. I have been pretty much just lurked this thread but all I see is negatives, not to say its bad but if you feel that way before maybe shouldve not decided to play the game at all. Thats my 4 cents. Lol.

Then ignore him. Simple.

Opening hour was boring as fuck. Opened up a bit now and get to wander around a bit. We'll see how it goes from here.

RagnarokX

I just watched someone play the DLC "tomb". I wish the whole game was made of stuff like this, but Lara ruins it every time she talks.

nikos

53% complete. Wonder at which percentage the story ends. Felt like I was getting close but now it feels like I have a way to go. Taking a break.

antitrop

These graphics are absolutely phenomenal. Stunning shadow and lighting work, great atmospheric effects with the rain and lightning.

Avallon

Controlling Lara in this game feels great. Smooth as butter, even without a controller.
Ugh, now my game is crashing consistently in a certain area. Can't make any progress. Goodnight, Tomb Raider.
Turn off tessellation until Nvidia fixes their drivers. I created a post about this on the official forums and that solution worked for me.

Cant really blame when people start to arguing and then the whole thread about his posts. I have been pretty much just lurked this thread but all I see is negatives, not to say its bad but if you feel that way before maybe shouldve not decided to play the game at all. Thats my 4 cents. Lol.
People need to learn how to use the ignore feature. It works wonders.

Skilletor

"No gear required." Not "No required gear." lol

I missed a verb. It's late!

It said I didn't have the required gear. I assumed it was needed to progress. :p

Edit: I just got choked out because I was typing a reply! The infamous cutscene. Funny how overblown that was.

Avallon

You added a comma.

"No, gear required."

41779_108150085877767_7812_n.jpg

The screens/footage with the jacket skin is SO much better than the normal tanktop one. How is the jacket not default? Does she never steal a jacket from one of the hundreds of dead enemies?

Magnus

This will be my first Tomb Raider, amazingly enough. Looking forward. The Uncharted bug bit me hard and friends are telling me to basically expect a UC-type experience here. Psyched.

Any early word on how the two console versions fare against one another? Not sure which way to go.

Micro-spoilers for the first hour or so:

Played a bit, took my time, and got to the point
where you get the climbing axe.

Mood is good. Voiceovers are decent and animation and camera work is solid. They establish the scene and guide you through the core mechanics while driving you onward. Moments are left to breathe and sink in. So far so good as I always expect some heavy handed guidance at first, but I'm looking forward to things opening up. To get to the point where I can start to make meaningful choices.

Its nice to go even a tad off the beaten path and find miscellaneous stuff,
but boxes that just add numbers to your scavenge meter doesn't satisfy, at all. They all feel empty, just like hunting for XP, shooting lanterns, collecting eggs, etc. I'm hoping the GPS cache collecting goes somewhere. Relics are much better.

I also dig the voice journals when you take to camp. Nice touch.

QTEs on the other hand, can fuck off, die in a car fire, and get nuked from orbit so we can be sure. There is nothing fun and involving about them, but opportunities aplenty for frustration and needless repetition of cinematic scenes. I'd rather see a cut-scene than have to wait for the arbitrary button or waggle prompt that I have to press to keep the scene from repeating. Its literally the bottom barrel of game design.

All that angst isn't directed purely at Tomb Raider, as its done in plenty of games, but still, I'd like to hope this game isn't littered with em.

GenoZStriker

Neo Member
Something about the game just feels right. I want to say it is Lara's directional movement in response to Camera movement. Her weight is also not too heavy and not too light, which makes the pace she moves at very well. Same thing with the guns and bows. There isn't much of that recoil bullshit and the bow/arrow is very standard, which makes it enjoyable to use.

Obviously I still have a long way to go since I am only two hours in it. While I do not particularly find much to the game, it just feels like a really good and solid third person shooter. The game feels a bit automated in terms of the jumps and overall interaction with certain things. I doesn't particularly bother me, I just need to get used to the game automatically hanging on ledges without having to calculate jumps too much.

Not sure how the cover system works, but it seems a bit inconsistent. I think Lara automatically takes cover during fight or stealth scene, when there are enemies, but forgive me if I am wrong but I don't think you can if there are no fights happening, which I also have to get used to.

So far so good though. Definitely the best TPS I have played since Uncharted 2, and I am only two hours in.

sleepykyo

An inevitable youtube on that coming up no doubt.

That was out before the game was. Though I assume a more comprehensive spoiler laden one should be up soon. If not already.

Hnngg. She really does strangle people. Congratulations to CD for making violence sexier than ever, between the strangulations, 50% percent bonus on head shots and a skill tree that boils down to get more for close up kills.

Not sure how the cover system works, but it seems a bit inconsistent. I think Lara automatically takes cover during fight or stealth scene, when there are enemies, but forgive me if I am wrong but I don't think you can if there are no fights happening, which I also have to get used to.
Pretty sure that's exactly it. You'll only huddle behind cover if enemies are about. Its nice in that it also serves the purpose of letting you know when you're safe.

Glad to see that people are thoroughly enjoying this – I hate to say it, but I told you so! So many of you doubted me for saying this looks good for so long! ;_;

I’m up to
checking up on Alex on the beach,
and the fact that the pacing is still perfect is amazing. The
beach
area is also massive with tons of hidden goodies!

The game constantly introduces cool new concepts to have fun with. It also has some really clever level desins too. I’m utterly addicted and can't stop playing!

I have burned so many nets for 10 gear. The game's economy is already retarded.

Hell, the entire event of this girl becoming the strong woman is retarded. *Beat the shit out of girl* Reward her with EXP and she knows to craft a bow all of a sudden. You start the game being able to pull off ridiculous jumps and craft and upgrade pistols. She is an expert in gun mechanics, FYI. She actually gets even more intelligent and can build onto goons and see further improvements after she's killed a good number of people.

Oh, the entirety of the opening scene is a pretty funny White Guys Trying Represent Dominated Women. It's weird the two people who stick up for Lara are the nerdy tech guy (Author Self Insert?) and some old guy who may be her Dad or lover. I haven't figured this out because I turned the sound off because she won't stop moaning or being a terribly written narrator.

WTF am I reading here?

Ceebs

This burning temple?

Holy shit.

This burning temple.

For the first bit of it I was ready to praise the game for doing something awesome...then it realized it was a video game again.

When you first get there all the enemies are running around and trying to avoid the fire not giving a shit about you. Then it turns into a massive firefight that lasts half an hour.

I was so psyched to think there was a section where the enemy NPCs would act like real people, but alas it was not to be

Jtrizzy

I really like the game, but the qte's are terrible on a kb/m. I've died way too many times on the
part where the wolf has you pinned down, and the earlier part where the bad guy finds you hiding earlier and gets on top of you

For the first bit of it I was ready to praise the game for doing something awesome...then it realized it was a video game again.

When you first get there all the enemies are running around and trying to avoid the fire not giving a shit about you. Then it turns into a massive firefight that lasts half an hour.

I was so psyched to think there was a section where the enemy NPCs would act like real people, but alas it was not to be

Oh gotdammit, really? Never change, cinematic shooters.

Ceebs

I really like the game, but the qte's are terrible on a kb/m. I've died way too many times on the
part where the wolf has you pinned down, and the earlier part where the bad guy finds you hiding earlier and gets on top of you

Once you realize the (!) is F and the Hand icon is E then they are no problem. It really should pop up a key bind prompt in that very first section. I died at that boulder 5 mins in like 10 times until I just loaded up the keybinds to see what was up.

Top Bottom