• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

K' Dash

Damn, that tressfx sucked my 7850 dry, it is not worth it for me, it sure looks nice sometimes but most of the times it looks weird and out of place.

Also, is it officially out? I did the VPN thing and I want to download the videos.

geebee

Banned
izTLXitkTA9jq.gif
Shit! My PC cannot handle TressFX above 30fps.. and even then it starts to sound like a vacuum cleaner. I'm going to have to play through with it disabled.

woober

thank you. Is there any timing with these or just get it done before the circle closes?

Pretty much before it closes. Those use the "F" button and the circle with a symbol uses the "E" button. Consfused the shit out of me too cause I thought both meant I had to press the F button, lol.

Spazznid

Shit! My PC cannot handle TressFX above 30fps.. and even then it starts to sound like a vacuum cleaner. I'm going to have to play through with it disabled.

I play at 1600x900 on my 1080p scren, and the Ultra FXAA makes it look close enough to 1080p during action, I don't mind. Also SMAA would be good. I'd like to play this at 1080p but that nets me only 20-30 fps. at 900p I get 40-70

GTX 580 here

Also I made the Gifs into links, sorry about that.

Jarmel

Banned
About a little over halfway I think. There are three real problems I have with the game. The first is that the skills and combat is pretty much broken and boring. I'm currently playing on hard and the combat is a joke. Also the skill system doesn't seem to be balanced at all. The bow is ridiculous as it's essentially a one hit kill and you save ammo. I literally have 4000 scavenger points and have no incentive to use any of it on the pistols and other stuff. Half the skills themselves are unwanted and pretty plain. The second complaint is that this feels like an Uncharted that takes itself dead serious. As such, there really isn't much charm to the characters who all feel pretty bland. The third is that they rip stuff straight out of other movies and television shows. I'm currently playing a scene straight out of the Descent.

RoKKeR

I play at 1600x900 on my 1080p scren, and the Ultra FXAA makes it look close enough to 1080p during action, I don't mind. Also SMAA would be good. I'd like to play this at 1080p but that nets me only 20-30 fps. at 900p I get 40-70

GTX 580 here

Also I made the Gifs into links, sorry about that.
Interesting way to get to 60. I've got a 570 so we have similar interests. Are you using TressFX?

Derrick01

Banned
I wonder how much money and time was spent on that opening "gameplay" scene to inflict some kind of tension on the player, and how I pretty much just yawned my way through it all since I knew there was virtually no threat of failure or death as long as I didn't press the wrong QTE button.

edit: Also got a laugh out of getting 300xp for completing a series of QTE.

I wonder how much money and time was spent on that opening "gameplay" scene to inflict some kind of tension on the player, and how I pretty much just yawned my way through it all since I knew there was virtually no threat of failure or death as long as I didn't press the wrong QTE button.

Pretty sure you're not the target audience with that sequence.

cackhyena

Did you not know what you were getting into with this game?

It's basically an intro. A prologue if you will, just put it on hard and roll with the punches man, you are to eager to criticize.

Jarmel

Banned

The opening hour has the most QTEs I've seen so far. It does get better and opens up.

joesmokey

Does anyone else have any issue with TressFX causing glitchy/glowing hair repeatedly?

I'm running at 5760x1200 so not sure if that's the issue. If I disable TressFX the glitchy hair goes away.

KrayzeeGloo

Neo Member
Just started this on PC and wow is it stunning! Running on Ultimate settings with TressFX on and the only time I think I saw a stutter was at the beginning of the first in-engine scene. Same goes for the benchmark, the only little bit of stutter was RIGHT as it loaded in and everything visible for the first time. Kudos to you, Crystal D, color my mind blown.

Here's a few screenshots I just snapped:
http://i.imgur.com/EUCY2X2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SDsLdGk.jpg

For those wondering, I'm running an i7 3770k with 16 gigs of RAM and a single 7970.

And now to go and play more of the game!

vidcons

Banned
I have burned so many nets for 10 gear. The game's economy is already retarded.

Hell, the entire event of this girl becoming the strong woman is retarded. *Beat the shit out of girl* Reward her with EXP and she knows to craft a bow all of a sudden. You start the game being able to pull off ridiculous jumps and craft and upgrade pistols. She is an expert in gun mechanics, FYI. She actually gets even more intelligent and can build onto goons and see further improvements after she's killed a good number of people.

Oh, the entirety of the opening scene is a pretty funny White Guys Trying Represent Dominated Women. It's weird the two people who stick up for Lara are the nerdy tech guy (Author Self Insert?) and some old guy who may be her Dad or lover. I haven't figured this out because I turned the sound off because she won't stop moaning or being a terribly written narrator.

Varna

Unfortunately I got two crashes in the last 30 minutes... I won't be going on further tonight since it looks like this will be common.

I really wish there was a no hud/instinct mode. Maybe some glorious modder will do this.

Oh yeah, this game is amazing looking.

Derrick01

Banned
It's basically an intro. A prologue if you will, just put it on hard and roll with the punches man, you are to eager to criticize.

It is on hard, that's the sad part.

On a side note another 100xp for doing some basic uncharted-caliber platforming! This RPG system is turning out exactly how I thought it would so far.

BETA.

Neo Member
Playing on PC here

on the part where the dude catches her hiding, where if you fail he chokes her. unlike the xbox 360 version it doesn't tell you what button to press, just shows a red diamond with exclamation. So, how do I get passed this part?

Ceebs

Playing on PC here

on the part where the dude catches her hiding, where if you fail he chokes her. unlike the xbox 360 version it doesn't tell you what button to press, just shows a red diamond with exclamation. So, how do I get passed this part?

The F key if you are on keyboard.

vidcons

Banned
Playing on PC here

press f

pc gets fancy ! and (hand) icons

On a side note another 100xp for doing some basic uncharted-caliber platforming! This RPG system is turning out exactly how I thought it would so far.

Yeah it's terrible man, the worst part is how it blows the numbers in your face as if you were pulling combo tricks in Tony Hawk.

Don't try it in 3D, it will literally make you hate the game.

golem

Playing on PC here

F, F then E

Oh, the entirety of the opening scene is a pretty funny White Guys Trying Represent Dominated Women. It's weird the two people who stick up for Lara are the nerdy tech guy (Author Self Insert?) and some old guy who may be her Dad or lover. I haven't figured this out because I turned the sound off because she won't stop moaning or being a terribly written narrator.
The author's a woman. The old dude is her mentor. I think. Roth, right?

hlhbk

And queue the mindless hate by the guy who bought the game even though he knew what to expect.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

You are always trying to hard, son. Is this really something to complain about? Just ignore it until you camp and see you have a skill to spend.

Varna

This is why no HUD mode is a must. None of this stuff would seem so ridiculous if it wasn't being shoved in you're face. You pressed a button! 1000 EXP!!!!!

Same goes for the few puzzles and jump sections I've encountered so far. Jesus devs, you have some decent ideas here. Why ruin em with all this hand holding?

Top Bottom