• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

tons of Atelier Rorona [PS3] pics

neo2046

tons of Atelier Rorona PS3 pics
(direct link is not allowed at Famitsu.com)
http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1222820_1407.html

pR3bU499AwpmH83jY3POfmX9z1ir219X.jpg

LxDdU4CRAccH79dI482u1HOD77VKym15.jpg

Gz72A8rLb3QTFqxwFyq83zmPTK2i4vbE.jpg

fQMk3U759hy3VQ7wop24kfE9E9kdVNN4.jpg

WGUDq9avMLoXhmEx147WYhKh4g6k3EC2.jpg

Os53NDsP4sE3LLDeYB776D7yBaO37Arc.jpg

woa there's loads :D

harSon

Banned
Is this an entirely new IP or a continuation of an established franchise? I'm personally not familiar with the franchise if it's the later. Looks pretty horrid graphically but I'd be willing to take the plunge if it's actually a solid game (If it's even localized :()

AndyD

aka andydumi
Looks good. Different than what I expected. Any idea if this will see US shores?

And whoever asked above, this will be the 4th or 5th in a series. revious ones were on PS2. The previous ones were supposedly well received by the JRPG fans but they were not blockbusters like FF or Persona series.

Durante

Looks marvelous!

Now compare this to their PS2 atelier games and tell me again that niche developers don't profit from hadware upgrades!

SolidSnakex said:
How the hell did Gust pull that off?
Well, the models are basically mid-range PS2 detail level. What makes it look so nice is the clean image quality and the shading algorithm. Go technology progress!

gantz85

Banned
Mmm.. I think Tales of Vesperia have abit more detail and have softer images but the Atelier Rorona graphics look great. Surprisingly great.

Durante

I was just about to rehost a few of the pictures but you beat me to it.
Here's two more:
2ut6icn.jpg

2nb645y.jpg

I really like the 2D art for this one as well, and it meshes very nicely with the models.
Edit: except that the leftmost girl's feather is on the wrong side of her hat. Probably they're just mirroring the 2D images to make her look in a different direction :lol

SolidSnakex said:
This screenshot seems to hint at a return of AI1-style resource gathering.

klee123

This is a huge step up from the usual GUST stuff. Look great. I agree, not quite as good as Vesperia, but still looks very nice.

bryehn

Holy shit! Not what I was expecting. Looks really great. i love the Atelier games, hopefully we see this released over here.

Tenks

This actually looks really good. Hopefully it gets localized in a non-shitty fashion.

Who am I kidding I'd buy the shitty one.

Durante

Obviously they put this on PS3 so that they can reuse the Start/Select button images they already had. (I think I've seen those exact images in all 6 PS2 Gust games I've played)

bryehn said:
Holy shit! Not what I was expecting. Looks really great. i love the Atelier games, hopefully we see this released over here.

I wouldn't worry. X-Edge is coming over, so this is definitely getting localized.

CiSTM

Banned
I really like the overall style. But some of those character designs aren't too hot. I'm still excited about this game, it looks nice and there isn't too much JRPGs this gen so I'll take it.

gantz85

Banned
This is getting released pretty soon in 3 months. Will be looking foward to the reviews and the sales figures as well.. seems like this is PS3's next respectably good RPG after White Knight Story which now in hindsight was underwhelming.

I wonder if it'll outperform 360 JP's best selling RPG titles -- which are also their best-selling platform titles -- like Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and Star Ocean 4. Can't be too hard at slightly above 200K (White Knight Chronicles is already at 300,000+).

Sage00

Once And Future Member
gantz85 said:
This is getting released pretty soon in 3 months. Will be looking foward to the reviews and the sales figures as well.. seems like this is PS3's next respectably good RPG after White Knight Story which now in hindsight was underwhelming.

I wonder if it'll outperform 360 JP's best selling RPG titles -- which are also their best-selling platform titles -- like Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and Star Ocean 4. Can't be too hard at slightly above 200K (White Knight Chronicles is already at 300,000+).
Yeah.. don't count on it. The new Atelier game on DS just sold 15k and even the PS2 games ended up at around 30-60k.

Durante

They were really smart with the visual style for this game. For example, they avoided self-shadowing which is still hard to pull off well technically on current hardware, and causes artifacting that would have ruined the clean look even in the best implementations. The painting-like low-key textured backgrounds were already used in ToV to great effect, and here they work well too, and much reduce the effort required for environment design/art.

I love it when developers make smart technical decisions, especially for genres I love. It happens far too rarely.

gantz85 said:
I wonder if it'll outperform 360 JP's best selling RPG titles
Of course not. Do you know what these games usually sell like? It will be a big success for Gust if it does 60k LTD.

Paracelsus

Sage00 said:
Yeah.. don't count on it. The new Atelier game on DS just sold 15k and even the PS2 games ended up at around 30-60k.

The best it could hope are Disgaea 3-like numbers, I assume.

gantz85

Banned
Paracelsus said:
._.

Maybe I'm missing something.

http://www.japan-gamecharts.com/ps2.php

CTRL + F "atelier"

*nothing*

How in the world can Rorona sell around 200k copies if none of the recent previous installments did?

If you check my history I've also done my homework on the Atelier series. The series had a high of 200K-ish sales during the original PSX-era and has since faded.

I think I should have kept my tongue in check because in quiet thought it's truly quite a task to break that 200K mark on HD consoles, or for an Atelier title. I think Gust is making an effort to really capitalize on the relatively unused PS3 jRPG space though. It's relatively vacant with only WKS the distinctive jRPG in recent times.

I want to see how the build-up for Atelier Rorona in JP goes..

thaOwner

Sage00 said:
Some Japanese PS3 owners might be hungry for some JRPG so you can't really say just yet.

MotherFan

Durante said:
They were really smart with the visual style for this game. For example, they avoided self-shadowing which is still hard to pull off well technically on current hardware, and causes artifacting that would have ruined the clean look even in the best implementations. The painting-like low-key textured backgrounds were already used in ToV to great effect, and here they work well too, and much reduce the effort required for environment design/art.

I love it when developers make smart technical decisions, especially for genres I love. It happens far too rarely.

Of course not. Do you know what these games usually sell like? It will be a big success for Gust if it does 60k LTD.

Gust is very niche, but alot of their games are very good, especially Mana Khemia and the Atlier series (not a fan of ar tenelico). I like both those series and have them on ps2, but they are not sales magnets. I don't know how this will sell, it may do better as ps3 has not had many rpgs, but it may do worse since alot of gust fans are prolly split between consoles. I know my friend and me who buy the gust games (and are the only ones I know personally who do so) do not have a ps3 and have no plan of getting one. He just sold his. So, who really can predict the sales yet?

Durante

nincompoop said:
People are actually impressed by this? It looks like a low-end PS2 game. Series should've stayed 2D.
It looks much better than anything PS2 could produce. If you want a reminder of what a low-end PS2 game with a similar style looks like take a look at some Ratatosk non-bullshots.

Here, I did it for you:
gfs_93562_2_1_mid.jpg

2ui7mlk.jpg

MotherFan

stawnkald said:
I think you have an overinflated memory of PS2 graphics.

He is right, it looks nice, but not much better than DQVIII. Its a gust game though, people should not bet focusing on the graphics. It is not their main focus in their games and never has been. Personally, I would be happy it took this much of a step up.

RpgN

Looking much better than expected, I thought it was to remain 2D. I'll definitely keep my eyes on this, looking good!

AndyD

aka andydumi
Reminds me of Dark CLoud for some reason. Like a vastly cleaned up Dark CLoud. Which reminds me, where is my Dark Cloud PS3? The idea of world building was excellent.

Durante

Is there any information or guesses on who did the character design/art for this game? It certainly looks markedly different from tha AI1-3/MK style.

Rektash said:
cel shading + current gen hardware + jrpg = <3
Yes!

u_neek

Rektash said:
cel shading + current gen hardware + jrpg = <3
Yes! Cel shading in HD looks so good!

I still wish they would have gone the 2D way though.

edit: oh yeah, and so much for Dengeki's exclusive next week :lol

suffah

Does maths and stuff
What's the combat been like in this series? Art is very nice, I can overlook the lolicon for gameplay.

Top Bottom