• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

tons of Atelier Rorona [PS3] pics

Durante said:
valkyria-chronicles-20080715104519998.jpg
Look at the ground texture!

Yeah to me it looks way better then this game. The textures aren't blurry or distorted when they're close up (most notably the ground), have some significant variety detail, etc. To me it looks much better then this game. Not to mention it has far better cellshading. What's your point?

Durante said:
Ah, that must have been another Flying_Phoenix.

"I'm not saying it looks like complete shit, but to say that this game looks "good" is really putting it at a stretch."

You just restated what I said. I stated that the game doesn't look that "good" and stated that it doesn't look like crap. Honestly are you reading my posts or just reading what you want to read?

"So me stating that my opinion of the game not looking all that hot and you claim that my post in this thread was to prove others wrong."

And how is that contradictory with this quote?

rykomatsu said:
I dunno...I relate the word "passable" with "mediocre", not "visually pleasing"...each person's descriptors are subjective so that sounds like where some of the hangup's coming from :p

Probably. Hell I consider Skies of Arcadia and Banjo Kazooie to be "visual pleasing" to me "visual pleasing" means to be easy on my eyes and enjoyable. It doesn't really correlate with the game "looking good".

SolidSnakex said:
What did you expect when you popped into thread and said "but to say that this game looks "good" is really putting it at a stretch"? If you don't think it looks good, that's fine. But throwing in the part about it being a stretch to suggest it looks good is obviously going to cause some negativity.

I understand that but that's my opinion. To me it doesn't look anywhere near "good" as to me "good" means significantly over the average which this game doesn't do. Maybe "good" for Gust standards but as I've stated multiple times that wasn't what I was going for.

I can understand if people say "I disagree" and give me other comparison pics and something similar but laughing at me and (at this point) ignoring me as they put out quotes in which I've already acknowledge and explained against me is just...damn.

rykomatsu said:
(btw, am i classified as part of the Gust Defense Force? :| ) lol

Yes be proud and wear your badge with honor. :D

Shapingo

AndyD said:
Reminds me of Dark CLoud for some reason. Like a vastly cleaned up Dark CLoud. Which reminds me, where is my Dark Cloud PS3? The idea of world building was excellent.

great post! Level 5 <3

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
SolidSnakex said:
Kingdom Hearts Deep Dive. It's the Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix special movie.

thank you, time for me to youtube. :D

hmmm I seen one of them but no scene shows that of his avatar....

jiggle

looks surprisingly good from Gust. No blurry sprites yay! Hopefully with 3D, there'll be a lot less recycling of characters/monsters. Bring on Ar Tonelico 3 :D

edit: holy shit when did Famitsu start hosting so many images, clickable ones to boot @.@

Aru

Looks a bit like Eternal Sonata (but less beautiful though) :D
I like it so far :)

Let's hope it'll be a good game ! (and that NISA doesn't f**k up the western version)

i got to be honest, i'm simply delighted that this, as far as i'm concerned, is gust's first major 3D title. It doesn't look too bad--like a really really lite Vesperia, or something. I'm intrigued; good to hear PS3 is getting some RPG lovin'.

Durante

jiggle said:
edit: holy shit when did Famitsu start hosting so many images, clickable ones to boot @.@
Yeah, that surprised me as well, next thing you know they'll stop scaling them down to 640x360!

Quixzlizx

Do the AI games improve with time? I played a few hours of AI1 and thought "meh," but I loved Ar Tonelico. I'm also liking the graphics.

rykomatsu

jiggle said:

They've always hosted images with similar sizes to Rorona's...just...not so many at one time (like 75+)

Dengeki had a 4 page ad spread for Rorona last week so Famitsu probably panicked a little and offered to do a "small" entry for Gust would be my guess.

Either that, or Gust was a bit worried about the comments flying around with people being a weary about Gust going 3D so jumped the gun and allowed famitsu to show the first set of screenshots.

Either way, next week's Dengeki should be great :)

jiggle said:

I think it was earlier this week perhaps last. Still not as good as Watch, but it's better than those thumb size shots they had before.

Durante

Quixzlizx said:
Do the AI games improve with time? I played a few hours of AI1 and thought "meh," but I loved Ar Tonelico. I'm also liking the graphics.
What made me increasingly like Gust and look forward to their games over the past few years is that, in my opinion, each one markedly improves upon its predecessor. Especially concerning their battle systems.

That said, the AI games (and MK, which is more or less a continuation of it) are quite different from AT, and I can easily see how someone would like one but not the other. While AI and MK focus less on alchemy than previous Atelier games (at least I heard that this is the case, I haven't played any other Atelier titles), they're still an alchemy / RPG mix. Conversely, the AT games are a lot more like a normal JRPG in terms of overall structure (excluding the graphic adventure / visual novel part for a moment) with just a dash of alchemy here and there.

Anyway, I also prefer the AT series to their other games overall, but the Atelier titles do get better and better and I enjoyed all of them to some degree.

bypassing cel-shaded game comparison discussion:

is this going to be an SRPG? i can't read japanese and the screens look like traditional turn-based. the art reminds me a lot of eternal sonata.

i feel kinda bad because these screens don't get me excited for the game- they make me want dark cloud 3 yesterday. :(

rykomatsu

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
is this going to be an SRPG? i can't read japanese and the screens look like traditional turn-based. the art reminds me a lot of eternal sonata.

looks turn based...there's the typical Attack/Defend/Item/Special menu in one of the screenshots

rykomatsu

gantz85 said:
What HD2D RPGs are there out there?

This looks great.

Well....there's Agarest Senki and Cross Edge and Disgaea....they're technically "HD"2D RPGs.

The high resolution 2D event scene artwork was really nice imho

Also...it looks like you might have the option of playing the game with event scenes in 2D or 3D...

rorona_28.jpg

rorona_59.jpg

Just speculation, but I find it odd that the same character would say the same quote twice..and it'd be odd for the text box in 2D mode to get morphed (would that be the term?) into a chat bubble...

Emotions

This is a step up in graphics from previous Gust games. That's not saying much though. I will get it if it comes over after Mana Khemia 2.
Hope Nisa also picks up Atelier Lise and Annie.

icecream

Public Health Threat
rykomatsu said:
Is it possible that they're using a "lighter" version of say the ToV engine that NBGI licensed?
I don't know why you'd think that. The Atelier games are published and developed by Gust themselves, so this engine and such is all Gust, and nothing from Bandai-Namco.

If it was Ar Tonelico 3, with the Banpresto joint, then perhaps NBGI might lend their engines for use.

rykomatsu

icecream said:
I don't know why you'd think that. The Atelier games are published and developed by Gust themselves, so this engine and such is all Gust, and nothing from Bandai-Namco.

If it was Ar Tonelico 3, with the Banpresto joint, then perhaps NBGI might lend their engines for use.

The 3D "field" engine for MK1/2 and AT1/2 I believe were developed outside of Gust if I recall the credits correctly. Whether it was licensed from a 3rd party or developed by a 3rd party specifically for Gust, I'm not sure...but I don't think it's far fetched for any company to pay a license fee to use another company's game engine. i mean...it's done all the time in industry.

/shrug

WYWY

I must confess my initial enthusiasm has diminished greatly.

It's just too... too... LOLI!

And every character shown is female.... ok I'm uncomfortable now.

Maybe I'm sexist... but make her a bit older and the skirt a bit longer... then maybe I'll feel comfortable playing this.

rorona_44.jpg

icecream

Public Health Threat
rykomatsu said:
The 3D "field" engine for MK1/2 and AT1/2 I believe were developed outside of Gust if I recall the credits correctly.
As mentioned, the Ar Tonelicos were a collaboration project with Gust and Banpresto, so it wouldn't be strange if they had outside developers and tech.

And scrolling through the credits of Mana Khemia, there's mention of outside companies for CG work and stuff (probably contracted) but the main development still seems to be Gust.

Durante

rykomatsu said:
Also...it looks like you might have the option of playing the game with event scenes in 2D or 3D...
That's a very interesting point, I didn't notice those 2 shots.

One other thing I just saw is that all the character artworks on Famitsu have <alt> tags, in most cases the name of the character - here is the text for each of the pictures (I really love the character artwork for this one, much more detailed than in any previous Gust game - or most JRPGs with 2D art, really):

"Rororina"
vyxh0p.jpg

"Lionela"
2enx1fa.jpg

"Hom_woman"
2eyz335.jpg

"Hom_man"
2dtchuv.jpg

"Cuderia"
10ok2hh.jpg

"Astrid"
2zrf95i.jpg

So... Hom_woman/Hom_man?

Dragon

Banned
I really liked Atelier Iris when I played it. Mostly the open-ended stuff that wasn't necessary to beat the game. Hell there were a couple of side-stories that were better than the plot of the actual game!

This game looks great. Way better than Eternal Sonata or Vesperia. For my taste, it looks better than star ocean too, just not technically-speaking. I hope it plays more like the original AI.

Durante

Yazuka said:
Homuncli? Would be surprised since all(?) the Atelier games deal with alchemy?
Good idea! Given their similarity and (lack of) facial expression that might really be it.

akachan ningen said:
This game looks great. Way better than Eternal Sonata or Vesperia. For my taste, it looks better than star ocean too, just not technically-speaking.
Well, at least unlike SO it will probably actually render its battles in HD!

akachan ningen said:
I hope it plays more like the original AI.
I'd like overall sidequest/alchemy gameplay more like AI1 with a battle system and dungeon design more like their recent games.

matmanx1

Really, really surprised it looks this good. I hope Gust can deliver a fun, bug free game to go with those nice visuals. Thanks for the link!

Aaron

Yazuka said:
Homuncli? Would be surprised since all(?) the Atelier games deal with alchemy?
One of the previous Atelier games had a homuncli, though it wasn't created by the main character, but given as an assistant.

Hobbun

Durante said:
I'd like overall sidequest/alchemy gameplay more like AI1 with a battle system and dungeon design more like their recent games.

What kind of battle system has the newer AIs' had?

Darackutny

Rorona looks alright. Nothing too awesome. I mean, I think that pretty much every game on the PS3 looks awesome. However, I'm just really excited since it is an RPG... on dah pstripple = bought day wun.

Durante

Interesting, and there are also some new screenshots there. Can we get a more complete translation/summary?

The official homepage should also open today IIRC.

Volcynika

Durante said:
Interesting, and there are also some new screenshots there. Can we get a more complete translation/summary?

The official homepage should also open today IIRC.

I hope I'm awake for the opening of the site, and hope for a trailer or something!

zeelman

matmanx1 said:
Really, really surprised it looks this good. I hope Gust can deliver a fun, bug free game to go with those nice visuals. Thanks for the link!

Gust's games are basically bug free when they're released in Japan, but somehow NIS America screws them up when they translate them.

Top Bottom