• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

tons of Atelier Rorona [PS3] pics

Volcynika

Unknown Soldier said:
June 25th in Japan.

When in North America?!?!!?!?!?!

Neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

(Only thing we've heard from NISA is that they're interested in localizing, but nothing yet)

Durante

Unknown Soldier said:
June 25th in Japan.

When in North America?!?!!?!?!?!
Maybe we'll get to know sooner if you add a few more punctuation marks!!!

In all seriousness: nobody knows for sure that it's even coming, so of course no one can give you a date.

Hobbun

Game looks really good and yes, would like to play it, but I am not going to get excited about it until I hear confirmation on localization. Learned my lesson on that long ago.

Volcynika

No update last week, but this week's update includes Blog, System,and Characters

Two new characters are: Haggel Baldness and Tifana Hildebrand.

WYWY

However battle system is disappointingly ancient. I've come to a point where I can't tolerate the 'jump forward to hit, then jump back' silliness - don't care if it has a DQ label on it or whatever.

Regret to say, dropping this from my watch-list.

cicerone

30d8f892-s.jpg

Hobbun

WYWY said:
However battle system is disappointingly ancient. I've come to a point where I can't tolerate the 'jump forward to hit, then jump back' silliness - don't care if it has a DQ label on it or whatever.

I am completely opposite. I love the more traditional combat system. I really hope this makes it stateside.

Volcynika

Site update, just an update in the Special section, interview with um...well whoever can read Japanese can figure that out!

Lain

WYWY said:

I kinda agree with you, altho I was bothered more by the gathering items parts. This game looks kinda good, but watching that gameplay video it didn't seem to be all that fun to play.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Translation thanks to rykomatsu:

The four reviews roughly translated...getting late so didn't bother editing it...i might recheck it in the morning, but i think this will get the idea across...the reviews don't seem that negative sans a few things; primarily how items are managed. Some of the reviews seem like they played a good chunk of the game...anyhow, enjoy or whatever :p

Being an Atelier Elie fan, I ended up clearing the entire game very quickly. The story being easy to progress combined with the business associated with being a completionist is very reminiscent of the more traditional Atelier games. Such concepts as a name being nothing more than a decoration and being unable to discern valuable items without having a good grasp of their intrinsic qualities makes you feel like an alchemist and makes the game extremely fun. Increased (new?) aspects such as Homunculs and Overclear increase the degrees of freedom in the game. It's after the 2nd year in Atelier Rorona where the main serving of fun is to be had. Because you do various tasks repeatedly, had they made changes to the long time required for item hunting and being unable to place items directly into storage from a container, the game would have been amazing. (90/100)

You recieve tasks from the government every 3 months, but it's easier to recieve a perfect rating without being pressed for time than had been expected. This allows you to have a bit more freedom in your actions. What you're able to do initially is limited, but as you get used to the game, you'll get your hands on new recipes and gathering grounds, leading to a pretty smooth gameplay. One problem is transferring items from a container to storage; if you were able to transfer the entire content all at once, the game would have been better. Because Rorona's personality is rather ditzy, people might have divided opinions about her as a character based on personal preference. By the way, being a girl, what's up with her sleeping on the couch instead of the bed when she rest?! She looks cute but has some masculine personality aspects (lol) (85/100)

The game's atmosphere has a warmth, just as portrayed in the illustrations. You can craft, search for mats and what not at your own place. The tutorial is easy to follow as well, so newcomers to the series have nothing to worry about. The crafting system is simple. However, due to the fact that the same mats can have differing quality, resulting in various results after crafting, I was able to enjoy the game without encountering monotony. Characters which join your party are wide and varied, thus it should be easy to get into the game regardless of your sex. There's no wildly unfolding plot twists as the story progresses, so take time to spend your hours with your favorite characters in a relaxed manner. (80/100)

While it's in 3D now, the content itself feels like its gone back to its roots. Because there are events that occur regularly (gov't exams), the game is easy to play, and the simple but strategic battles are also fun. Being able to check progression of tasks you've taken on, being able to easily bring up the map screen(?) with 1 button, the ability to have equipment crafted for you and such are all positive aspects of the game. While it's nice that a basket for material gathering and a container (storage) has been prepared, the overall item management is hit or miss. The sort function implementation is awkward (can't make out parenthesis). The camera angles are hit or miss as well. When you want to talk to NPCs, they don't respond unless you get pretty close. If they could have had icons at the very least... (75/100)

Durante

I just saw the gameplay trailer. Taru! That and the greater focus on gathering really reminds me of Atelier Iris 1 (which was the first Gust game I played). I really liked the VA for Rorona.

Battle System looks a bit bare-bones compared to AT2 or MK, but still nice. It could just be because it's at the very beginning of the game, or maybe they wanted to go back to a more traditional system to match the general style of the game. I absolutely loved what they did with the battles in AT2 (one of the best JRPG battle systems ever IMO), so I hope they didn't backtrack too much.

Reviews sound great. The least positive reviewer still mostly just complained about inventory management and the camera.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
http://www.siliconera.com/2009/06/12/atelier-rorona-conjuring-north-american-release/

Nothing official yet, but you probably wont have to import Atelier Rorona. During E3 we heard Gust’s first PlayStation 3 game is being looked at.

I wouldn’t expect Atelier Rorona to come out overseas this year, though. Between finishing Atelier Rorona and tweaking Mana Khemia 2 for English text Gust is pretty busy. While we’re searching for more information, watch this trailer and meet the characters.

jiggle

don't care for those
but I quite enjoy this new(?) artist's work in Rorona
I still prefer the one that did Eternal Mana 1, but at least this one is way better than EM2&3's.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
notworksafe said:
Why do the Japanese make every game unplayable in front of other people?

(neutral) notworksafe
(Today, 12:45 AM)
Reply | Quote

They just live by your name.

Volcynika

Hobbun said:
Well, that's ok. As long as it seems pretty much confirmed.

Thanks.

Yeah, NISA has mentioned their interest in it in many comments on the PS Blog, and Spencer from Siliconera keeps saying little hints about it. Teasin people!

Hobbun

Volcynika said:
Yeah, NISA has mentioned their interest in it in many comments on the PS Blog, and Spencer from Siliconera keeps saying little hints about it. Teasin people!

I’ve never understood the reason why the company doing the localization of a game needs to wait on officially announcing it for NA (EU) if they plan to bring it over here from the start.

It would be different if it was still up in the air. But it sounds like from the info you have read from NISA that it will be coming out. Why not just announce it already?

And I am not saying this against just NISA, but any company. Nintendo waited until E3 to us know Mario & Luigi 3 would make it to NA., even though it was announced last October for Japan.

Volcynika

Hobbun said:
I’ve never understood the reason why the company doing the localization of a game needs to wait on officially announcing it for NA (EU) if they plan to bring it over here from the start.

It would be different if it was still up in the air. But it sounds like from the info you have read from NISA that it will be coming out. Why not just announce it already?

And I am not saying this against just NISA, but any company. Nintendo waited until E3 to us know Mario & Luigi 3 would make it to NA., even though it was announced last October for Japan.

I think they're more focused on just keeping attention on their releases for this year, Sakura Wars V ( I think that's this year), Mana Khemia 2, Badman, etc.

Or they might still be working through all the details, finalizing a localization schedule, and going for a more definite window of release. I have no idea of all the stuff they have to go through to get the rights and all that to localize something, but it seems it'd be a lot of stuff to do.

I rarely see anything outside of huge-name titles that have been announced but are not coming out till 2010 (or I'm blind, or don't care much about the titles that have been announced for a window like that :p) Granted, Atlus did announce Shiren 3 and Trauma Team for Spring 2010....hell, I don't know. But as long as it's coming, that's all that matters to me. I'd import it (Rorona came out today in Japan), but importing an RPG without understanding a bit of Japanese is not that great of an idea :p

Top Bottom