• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tons of new The Order 1886 details

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm am completely on board with this... but please tell me they aren't making this singleplayer only
They didn't say it's single player only. They just don't want to mention anything about a multiplayer/co-op component at the moment.

I'm sure there will be co-op or multiplayer, otherwise they'd just outright say "it's single player only".

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
You might want to check out this article released a couple of months ago discussing the alternate world in the game. It specifically addresses your question:

http://gematsu.com/2013/08/the-order-1886-neo-victorian-london-detailed

There could be many reason for certain sections to run above ground. One of them that I can think off the top of my head is that the underground might not be safe (relatively speaking) around areas populated by the half-breeds.

I guess. I still think it looks a bit silly, very American. If you see images of London at the time the overground trains were all on brick viaducts.

Dore_London.jpg

viveks86

I guess. I still think it looks a bit silly, very American. If you see images of London at the time the overground trains were all on brick viaducts.

Dore_London.jpg

I would still maintain that it is believable. The technology for steel railway bridges were available in Europe during the time. So when RAD chose to build an alternate world, it seems plausible that England could have advanced further in railroad engineering. Here is an example of a bridge in Germany designed around the same period. So you can't say it looks American.

Muengstener300x225.jpg

800px-Muengstener_bruecke_suedseite_pano_wp.jpg

Wray

Does anybody know if Soft Body Physics can be applied to PC and NPC character models also? I don't mean their clothing/equipment, I mean their actual body. So like, if you shot up an enemy with some regular old bullets, will the flesh react to the bullet the same way it would in real life? I'd love to see realistic damage effects on enemies.

Binabik15

Does anybody know if Soft Body Physics can be applied to PC and NPC character models also? I don't mean their clothing/equipment, I mean their actual body. So like, if you shot up an enemy with some regular old bullets, will the flesh react to the bullet the same way it would in real life? I'd love to see realistic damage effects on enemies.

A lot harder, probably, since humans are filled with various things compared to most environmental objects that are homogenous or made of maybe three different materials. You'd have to check against fat, skin, muscle tissue, different organs, cartilage etc depending on the angle and in the end, most bullet holes are small and wet, anyway. The damage differs mostly internally.

Breaking limbs and tearing flesh from melee and shrapnel or cut wounds would offer a greater range of easily seen gore effects than bullets.

I'm no programmer (med student, that's why I like talking about gory things ;) ), but I'd guess that everything besides the bones being actually there and determining the limb's position (and amout of "joints") everything would be more easily faked with some overlaid textures/decals or how you call it.

What would be incredibly immersive would be skin that reacts to being touched/manipulated, stretching, wobbling, rippling etc, IMO. That would be soft body physics, yes? And breathing characters.

Imaging a plumb police officer running around a monster infested area, his fat cheeks and belly wobbling, his moustache quivering in fear, exhaling condensing breath in the dusky twilight and the fogbaround him reacting to his passing. Add some Head and Shoulders next-gen wolf fur on the werewolves chasing him and you have my dream for the PS5 gen. If it happens this gen, I'd buy two copies.

They didn't say it's single player only. They just don't want to mention anything about a multiplayer/co-op component at the moment.

I'm sure there will be co-op or multiplayer, otherwise they'd just outright say "it's single player only".

In the video below one of the guys says "it's a story driven, single player action game".

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...f-the-order-1886-39-s-gameplay-and-story.aspx

Maybe he just said that purely because nothing else has been mentioned yet but no online or co-op play would definitely turn me off this game which would suck because I am liking what I am seeing of it.

In the video below one of the guys says "it's a story driven, single player action game".

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...f-the-order-1886-39-s-gameplay-and-story.aspx

Maybe he just said that purely because nothing else has been mentioned yet but no online or co-op play would definitely turn me off this game which would suck because I am liking what I am seeing of it.
Indeed...still, I wouldn't count it out completely just yet. They might just be playing coy for now. Here's what they said in the magazine:

What about multiplayer? Ready at Dawn is reticent to speak definitively about anything beyond the possibility of a single player campaign. “We love multiplayer games, and when we took on this project, it’s definitely something we kept in mind”.

“From the ground up, it’s been in our minds; there’s been conscious decisions made that wouldn’t prohibit that from being possible. At the end of the day, we want to do right by the IP first, build this right.

“We felt that our focus would be better spent just doing this- just doing this story driven game.
”

Derrick01

Banned
Now that those are finally officially released when I say some of them look so borderline current gen people can see what I'm talking about. In those house shots you could take the character out and put Joel from TLoU in there and I would think it's a screen from that (current gen) game.

edit: Screens 3, 5 and 7 to be more specific.

edit 2: God damn it they're scans again? Stop doing that shit people.

Now that those are finally officially released when I say some of them look so borderline current gen people can see what I'm talking about. In those house shots you could take the character out and put Joel from TLoU in there and I would think it's a screen from that (current gen) game.

on the other hand screen 1 and 2 especially looks far beyond current gen, and screen 3 will definitely look much better in motion, they're also still work in progress, and I think they already look good

BadAss2961

I don't think so man. In fact, a couple of the indoor shots are what impressed me the most. I can already see it in motion with all the dust particles flying around and whatnot.

Crazy shots. It's like when RE4 dropped all over again.

What are you talking about? the ingame graphics look even better than the E3 trailer, hair has greatly improved, just compare E3 trailer Sir Galahad and Lady Igraine hairs to these NON direct feed screens, those who saw the physics demo said the hair moves greatly which doesn't in E3 trailer.

The screens are not only direct feed ones but they don't show the characters in close ups. When judging from that angle of camera, you can put even a REAL person, you won't notice any change. Bad choice of camera angle that is all. Wait for direct feed clsoe ups.

Derrick01

Banned
on the other hand screen 1 and 2 especially looks far beyond current gen, and screen 3 will definitely look much better in motion

Yeah good lighting can make a game look better than it normally is, GTA is a great recent example there. But those will be situational moments compared to the normal game most likely. The majority of the game will probably be like those typical 3rd person shots in the screens I pointed out and it's much harder to tell the difference there.

PLASTICA-MAN said:
What are you talking about? the ingame graphics look even better than the E3 trailer, hair has greatly improved, just compare E3 trailer Sir Galahad and Lady Igraine hairs to these NON direct feed screens, those who saw the physics demo said the hair moves greatly which doesn't in E3 trailer.

Well I wasn't impressed by the E3 trailer either, probably because it was basically a cutscene to me and told me nothing about the game. But talking about just graphics I'm still waiting to be even remotely impressed by this game. Maybe a lengthy gameplay video will do it.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Game looks amazing and don't take this the wrong way but I think it's funny and maybe a little ironic how people think it's so realistic that the female character's (name escapes me) cloak rests on the ground as opposed to clipping through it but the fact that the protagonist's spherical magazine or whatever it may be actually clips into him. Just an observation but otherwise the game looks phenomenal. I'm shocked to say tis but it actually looks beyond KZSF

I'm sure it will have online. If GOW has online then I'm sure The Order which is a shooter will. Lol

vpance

Because TLoU looks borderline next gen? The amount of details ND put into every room you stepped into was crazy and would shame most "real" next gen games released in the coming year if you upped the res and AA.

Derrick01

Banned
Because TLoU looks borderline next gen? The amount of details ND put into every room you stepped into was crazy and would shame most "real" next gen games released in the coming year if you upped the res and AA.

No doubt what ND did with that game was insanely impressive but the point was at the end of the day that's still a current gen game running on 2006 hardware. So a next gen game having a hard time consistently looking better than that is worrisome. What I was saying wasn't an insult to TLoU and ND.

No doubt what ND did with that game was insanely impressive but the point was at the end of the day that's still a current gen game running on 2006 hardware. So a next gen game having a hard time consistently looking better than that is worrisome. What I was saying wasn't an insult to TLoU and ND.
Eh, looks are always subjective though, we could argue on and on. To me and many others TLOU doesn't hold a candle to this.

Don't be pessimistic, we will surely see a gameplay representation which will look insane and will make you change your mind.

Beyond is the game that make me question next gen visual, that game is ridiculously good looking

vpance

I think when we see it motion the difference will be more obvious. Judging it against the best of this gen in rendering tiny nondescript rooms isn't saying much.

StuBurns

Banned
There is a limit to how good they can make a game look.

It does look like a basically 'uncompressed' The Last of Us, although with clearly vastly improved lighting and IQ, and finely detailed cloth physics, etc.

I think people are asking for disappointment if they're going to keep expecting some huge leap. The gap between TLoU and The Division is about as big as The Division and real life.

I think people are asking for disappointment if they're going to keep expecting some huge leap. The gap between TLoU and The Division is about as big as The Division and real life.
Why not?

Games like Killzone, Ryse, and Driveclub are already a huge leap to me and they're still just launch titles.

complete bull shit

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There is a limit to how good they can make a game look.

It does look like a basically 'uncompressed' The Last of Us, although with clearly vastly improved lighting and IQ, and finely detailed cloth physics, etc.

WAT

This game is a massive leap from current gen and is coming within the first year of the console.

Going from 720p to near 1080p :)P) is a huge leap.

I love TOLU but the game looks last gen when you compare it to a upresed PC games. Jaggies, poor texturing, ho hum baked lighting, baked shadowing etc

nothing in the world of TOLU is dynamic, it's all static

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I really disagree.

Keep in mind that this game is also doing complex physics calculations for cloth and lots of destruction in the environment. Next gen is going to be all about those things combined with a large fidelity increase. When you put the two together games are going to feel vastly more alive and screenshots won't be able to get that across.

zma1013

Going from 720p to near 1080p :)P) is a huge leap.

I love TOLU but the game looks last gen when you compare it to a upresed PC games. Jaggies, poor texturing, ho hum baked lighting, baked shadowing etc

nothing in the world of TOLU is dynamic, it's all static

Agree on most points but it does have dynamic light with the flashlights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom