• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tons of new The Order 1886 details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mifune

Mehmber
For people who have some standards and don't like every single game they play regardless of quality.

Oh please. For people who don't go into every game expecting to hate it. For people who don't go into threads about games they have no interest in looking to troll. For people who don't spend hundreds of words talking about games they never had any interest in. For people who don't dismiss a game based solely on its publisher or budget or genre.

Need I go on?

Derrick01

Banned
Funny. Wouldn't The Division and Destiny be considered open world games? Isn't that where you want games to be headed?

It's not about having "standards". It's about having an open mind and trying different games. With your mindset, I'm surprised you're even a gamer.

No I don't want games being MMOs. MMOs are the worst offender of the garbage filler content problem that affects many open world games. Devs of those games don't bother making interesting content because they know the entire draw of those games is to play with other people, and when people play games with other people they're not spending a lot of time criticizing or analyzing all of the faults in a game. They're too busy laughing with their friends and not paying attention to lazy content. There's a reason why people say "any game is fun with co-op", it's because of what I just detailed.

Gavarms

Having now got GI I can say this has definitely shot up my "buy" list for 2014.
For people who have some standards and don't like every single game they play regardless of quality.

True, the launch lineup alone is better than what we got on PS3 for launch and the first year.

Out of interest what PS4/ XB1 games are you looking forward to?

Perkel

Banned
Funny. Wouldn't The Division and Destiny be considered open world games? Isn't that where you want games to be headed?

It's not about having "standards". It's about having an open mind and trying different games. With your mindset, I'm surprised you're even a gamer.

Difference between single player and multiplayer open world game is pretty vast.

One use it to deliver new game experience, do some proper design on it, scales it to their design, fits lore NPCs etc.

Other one Open world is most of the time ton of empty good looking space that beside mobs and some key quest elements there is nothing really out there.

To be clear, I'm not saying this isn't going to be an impressive technological leap, but it is not visual leap previous generations have been, and yes, to Perkel's point, I have played Killzone, it's not some huge leap, it's just cleaner with more particle effects than is typical.

My point was, in reference to 'it looks like TLoU', asset wise, this coming generation isn't going to provide that traditional leap in that regard. We'll get environments with less compression in textures and higher poly modeling, but outside of IQ, in stills, we're not going to see some huge improvement, as we have every previous generation. Nicer lighting and cloth physics are neat, and that's not downplaying their impact. The picture of the female Order member kneeling with her cloak surrounding her on the floor, as it would naturally have been, is really cool, but it's nothing like the immediate impact of going from PS2 to PS3, or PS1 to PS2, or SNES to PS1, etc. And to be clear, I'm not complaining about that, in fact, I'm excited about it. To have additional performance be aimed at a richer simulation, over just displaying richer assets, is actually far more rewarding in terms of the gameplay results, or it should be at least.

I just think it's a little early to say that so definitively. There are games early on the PS3 that look pretty much like higher-res PS2 games. The same will be true here for a little while. There are games early on in the PS2 that look like PS1 games.

It's just early, a new-gen development pipeline (that includes asset fidelity) is not finished until you've completed a project. Because these teams are all seeing development through to completion for the first time.

And finally, I reckon we will be seeing things for the first time that pass entirely as photo-realistic this generation coming. There were niggling things remaining at the end of the current gen that made games like GTA5, just not quite photorealistic - but those will be gone.

StuBurns

Banned
Well you can take Thief out because that's going to be garbage.
I will have to see, I liked DE:HR, it wasn't perfect, but I had a good time with it. I expect Thief to have undergone a similar transition. Maybe it will be garbage, but I'm going to play it anyway.
Division and Destiny probably will too since those are these new "persistent world" BS games where it's going to feel like playing a MMO, with MMO-like garbage content and everything.
I don't care about the persistence, but I very much enjoy a focused co-op experience, and those games are wholly based around that, so again, I shall take my chances. Bungie are literally the only people making good FPSs on consoles too, so I'm confident beyond any other element, it will have enjoyable combat design for me.
MGS looks terrible as well and seems like it bit the streamlined bug that hit everyone else in these recent years.
It looks like a console iteration of Peace Walker, which I enjoyed. I'm not happy about the Conviction style magic aiming, or the see through walls stuff, but I'm sure they'll be optional anyway.
That culls the lineup down to a much less impressive number.
I'm not expecting every game to be a banger. There's every chance The Witness will be the only truly great game in the bunch, but it's at the very least, a very respectable first year, as strong on the face of it as any year this generation, which for the first year is very good news to me.

Santa Monica are not developing but I have a feeling they have done a lot of work on the engine and the tech side.

and they have a good track record for living up to therE ''in-engine'' demos

as this ''in engine'' god of war demo demonstrates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hiieqlgbn2c

Dunno how many times this has to be gone over.

Santa Monica have a few production people helping out, I imagine milestone meetings will go on at Santa Monica rather than Foster City.

Tech will be shared as much as it's shared between Naughty Dog and Santa Monica, which is to say, snippets of advice here and there.

Everything of theirs will be proprietary, no one from Santa Monica will have built their tech for them.

Vire

I'm not expecting every game to be a banger. There's every chance The Witness will be the only truly great game in the bunch, but it's at the very least, a very respectable first year, as strong on the face of it as any year this generation, which for the first year is very good news to me.

I dunno I mean 2006 360 wasn't bad at all, was it the best? No, but it was more than serviceable for a first year... I think people forget.

Gears of War, Elder Scrolls Oblivion, Viva Piñata, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Dead Rising

StuBurns

Banned
I dunno I mean 2006 360 wasn't bad at all, was it the best? No, but it was more than serviceable for a first year... I think people forget.

Gears of War, Elder Scrolls Oblivion, Viva Piñata, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Dead Rising
Not a big fan of any of those, but it did have Rainbow Six Vegas and a respectable port of Fear. Not a bad first year by any stretch, you're right, but next-gen (admittedly because of cross-gen releases), feels like it's being born fully formed for the first time.

RayMaker

Banned
Dunno how many times this has to be gone over.

Santa Monica have a few production people helping out, I imagine milestone meetings will go on at Santa Monica rather than Foster City.

Tech will be shared as much as it's shared between Naughty Dog and Santa Monica, which is to say, snippets of advice here and there.

Everything of theirs will be proprietary, no one from Santa Monica will have built their tech for them.

Well i'am sorry you have to explain it to me again, but you may have to do it again and again and again

thisisneogaf.gif

You can list all the technical buzzwords you want, the fact you even feel the need proves my point far better than I ever could.

I haven't been 'wowed' since the Crysis level, The Core, and this certainly didn't wow me.

Personally, I think it is the lighting similarities between this and TLoUs that gives at least an illusion of similarity. Asset wise I don't really see your point at all. Even in TLoUs, it is very easy to tell that they had to compromise on poly count. Textures are generally suberb, but the macro structure of the levels is still pretty blocky compared to what we are seeing here. I mean look at the city scene in the trailer...If this is trully representative of ingame graphics 1:1 (and they will have been lying if it isn't), then it is a very obvious leap above TLoUs.

luca_29_bg

I find it funny some people do not understand that current gen machines are powerful enough to make some things so well that there is hardly any room to improve.... indoor areas are good examples of that... what one could do other than up resolutions and improve lighting and current gen machines have enough power to make nice looking indoor scenes... unless one goes for ultra realistic look.

tons of polygons and incredible details, also observed from very close and zoomed in, for everything on the scene, that no ps3 has never could do...obviously... there's so much polygons edge on small objects on beyond that it's ridiculous...and i can continue....the road is still too long. And this generation is finally over, i can't stand anymore the five polygons on screen that they can move...

Well i'am sorry you have to explain it to me again, but you may have to do it again and again and again

thisisneogaf.gif

I guess it's just bugs me because people have an incredibly loose understanding of what job titles mean, and what-credits-constitute-what in the development of a game. Then they'll make assumptions based on their next to non-existent understanding and post on GAF. (thisisneogaf.gif)

And to be fair, in this situation, if it hadn't been cleared up by SSM's Tech Director - there might be some justification for speculation about a co-developed title because there's precedent with Journey, Unfinished Swan, etc. But even those games were fostered under the wing of Santa Monica, it doesn't mean they're getting people from the GoW teams to work on those titles, supply engines or write 'tech' for them.

They're development teams themselves.

Incidentally talking of engine stuff I believe all indie projects coming out of SSM have been built on PhyreEngine which is developed in house at the Sony London Studios - so Santa Monica has done no engine work for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom