• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too human may miss 2007

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Geoff9920 said:
So your beef isn't about games having a story. It's with games that focused so much on the story that the gameplay felt like an afterthought instead of having an equal balance of both. Correct? If that's the case, I think it's a bit early to be judging Too Human in that respect.

Yup, pretty much... actually I'll be honest, I didn't care for Eternal Darkness or TTS in the 15 minutes I've played with them and I don't know anything about Too Human's gameplay; all I've really heard about the game is how influenced it'll be by classic Western literature. I just liked that one guy's post a whole lot. And of course I would take good gameplay, no story... over bad gameplay, good story, any day of the week.

Mifune

Mehmber
nightez said:
Right... when did I say it did enter full production?
Besides the game was on most GCN releases lists thats a FACT. And not that i'm saying it entered Full Production.

Whats your problem? When did I ever imply being bitter?

As far as I know, Too Human was almost done for the PSone when Nintendo invested in Silicon Knights. That game was put on hold so they could focus on Eternal Darkness, which they had been developing concurrently with Too Human, but for the N64. Right after ED, they started work on Twin Snakes. I don't think Too Human was ever fully in development for the Gamecube, After Twin Snakes, Nintendo and SK played the whole it's not me it's you game and parted ways.

At this point, rather than resurrect an ancient game engine for next-gen machines, they decided to essentially keep the Too Human concept but start the actual game over from scratch.

It's been a long dev cycle for sure, but not nearly as long as people claim, since Too Human as it was known in the PSone days is nothing like the Too Human that's being worked on now, aside from the overall theme and storyline.

TiVo

Mifune said:
As far as I know, Too Human was almost done for the PSone when Nintendo invested in Silicon Knights. That game was put on hold so they could focus on Eternal Darkness, which they had been developing concurrently with Too Human, but for the N64. Right after ED, they started work on Twin Snakes. I don't think Too Human was ever fully in development for the Gamecube, After Twin Snakes, Nintendo and SK played the whole it's not me it's you game and parted ways.

At this point, rather than resurrect an ancient game engine for next-gen machines, they decided to essentially keep the Too Human concept but start the actual game over from scratch.

It's been a long dev cycle for sure, but not nearly as long as people claim, since Too Human as it was known in the PSone days is nothing like the Too Human that's being worked on now, aside from the overall theme and storyline.

So what you're saying is:

PS1 Too Human, started, scrapped and started from scratch to make way for N64 version.

N64 Too Human, started, scrapped and started from scratch to make way for GCN version.

GCN Too Human, started, scrapped and started from scratch to make way for XBOX
version.

XBOX Too Human, started, scrapped and started from scratch to make way for XBOX360
version.

Mifune

Mehmber
TiVo said:

PS1 Too Human, started, scrapped and started from scratch to make way for N64 version.

N64 Too Human, started, scrapped and started from scratch to make way for GCN version.

version.

XBOX Too Human, started, scrapped and started from scratch to make way for XBOX360
version.

That's not at all what I'm saying, but I give up.

Ark-AMN

Banned
TiVo said:

version.

version.
Perfect example of the kind of dissinformation going around.

Too Human was NEVER in development for N64 or Xbox. Ugh.

TiVo said:

version.

version.
No.

Too Human was in development for PSone. It was stopped so they could concentrate fully on Eternal Darkness for N64, which was moved to GameCube. After that, they started on Twin Snakes. After that, they left Nintendo and pitched the Too Human concept to Microsoft for Xbox 360. They started completely from scratch, because I don't know what the hell good a half-finished PSone game was going to do them at that point.

It's certainly been a long development cycle, but a lot of people seem to be assuming that it's long because Silicon Knights is incompetent and they don't know what they're doing. No. It's long because they're making a big-budget epic and not shipping it until it's done.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Prine said:
Its so frustrating seeing devs leave because of idiots that purposely go out of their way to start trouble. I would never run into a thread and talk shit to a developer. Espeically one as highly ranked as Dennis Dyack.

And thats why they're dickheads, spoiling it for the rest of us, who want to know about thier games
He'll be back. If the backlash of Twin Snakes didn't run him off for good, nothing will. Besides, he only ever seems to show his face whenever he needed to hype something or run damage control. He has never been all that insightful or informative; never willing to share more than the company line. We've only ever been used as tools to him.

TiVo

Ark-AMN said:
Perfect example of the kind of dissinformation going around.

Too Human was NEVER in development for N64 or Xbox. Ugh.

My bad then

PS1 -> GCN -> XBOX360

PS1 -> 360. How many years is that total in develop...err concept...err starting from scratch?

Chipopo

Banned
JJConrad said:
He'll be back. If the backlash of Twin Snakes didn't run him off for good, nothing will. Besides, he only ever seems to show his face whenever he needed to hype something or run damage control. He has never been all that insightful or informative; never willing to share more than the company line. We've only ever been used as tools to him.

Thank you for reading between the lines

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
JJConrad said:

professor.jpg

Master Z

PleoMax said:
we know what MGS is all about, and if 2 and 3 are anything to go by, it ain't about the gameplay.

Wrong. MGS games have always had a nice blend of storytelling and gameplay, especially MGS3, which just so happens to feature one of the best boss battles ever in a videogame.

As for as this Dyack/Too Human stuff, let's atleast give the man the benefit of the doubt and wait until the game is released so we may see for ourselves what all the fuss is about.

PleoMax

Banned
Master Z said:
Wrong. MGS games have always had a nice blend of storytelling and gameplay, especially MGS3, which just so happens to feature one of the best boss battles ever in a videogame.

As for as this Dyack/Too Human stuff, let's atleast give the man the benefit of the doubt and wait until the game is released so we may see for ourselves what all the fuss is about.

Dude you don't know more about MGS than i do, and when there's a game like splinter Cell on the market, MGs2 and 3 gameplay were dated, clunky, and boring. All they had were bosses, wich in total represent 15% of the game, with the other 35% consisted of boring gameplay, with the remaining 50% spent listening to people talk and seeing cool cutcenes.

Nice blend of Storytelling and gameplay? Yeah in MGs1.....MGS2 and Mgs3 have dated gameplay, ands its pretty obvious the only reason why its considered superior to splinter cell around here is because of the game world, characters, plot, because gameplay wise there's almost a generational leap, from Ps1 to Xbox...oh shit the irony in this thread, since there's alot of MGS fanatics on this board, and some of them are bashing on Too Human, for focusing too much on the story instead of the gameplay.

Hypocrisy is a bitch, and it's something that is constant in this board.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
JJConrad said:

Ouch!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
JJConrad said:
billselfshirtless2.jpg

MaX_PL

Banned
duk said:
Bolded games are games I am most likely getting. Holy crap wallet am cry! *you have AC listed twice btw)

yeh wow. seven games til the end of the year means roughly 500 bucks on games. and i freakin plan on getting the hd dvd add on and the revised xbox 360 as well.

god damn theres no way im getting all of these games. plus Too Human is not listed.

KingJ2002

i dont mind a later release...

why bother talking about how this game took a decade to make when the final product is buggy and unplayable in certain spots (looks at sonic the hedgehog)... get it right the first time and don't rush it.

besides... with all the games coming this year it's a no brainier that a game with this level of quality is going to be pushed back. the lack of updates aside from little blog updates kind of hints at it.

Master Z

PleoMax said:
Dude you don't know more about MGS than i do, and when there's a game like splinter Cell on the market, MGs2 and 3 gameplay were dated, clunky, and boring. All they had were bosses, wich in total represent 15% of the game, with the other 35% consisted of boring gameplay, with the remaining 50% spent listening to people talk and seeing cool cutcenes.

Nice blend of Storytelling and gameplay? Yeah in MGs1.....MGS2 and Mgs3 have dated gameplay, ands its pretty obvious the only reason why its considered superior to splinter cell around here is because of the game world, characters, plot, because gameplay wise there's almost a generational leap, from Ps1 to Xbox...oh shit the irony in this thread, since there's alot of MGS fanatics on this board, and some of them are bashing on Too Human, for focusing too much on the story instead of the gameplay.

Hypocrisy is a bitch, and it's something that is constant in this board.

SMH. I'm not even trying to compare MGS to Splinter Cell so I don't know where that came from. All I'm saying is that the MGS series is not just about the narrative with gameplay being an after thought. If this was the case there's no way these games would be as critically acclaimed as they are. Let's just keep it at that.

Azih

Whoah, this is one crazy thread.

Honestly this thread would have ground down by page 4 if Denis hadn't come in spoiling for a flame war. What the HELL was that all about?

Also chalk me up as a Salazar fanboy.

Salazar

I find it pretty amusing that one of the responses to criticism of Dyack runs along the lines of "jeez, man, don't take it all so seriously - it's just a game". Indisputably, Silicon Knights have been building it up to be received as more than just a game (in the sense of thin, exclusively or superficially fun entertainment).

First DD/SK proposition - It's going to be a great game.

This is cool; this is just confidence. It doesn't tally with what was seen at E3, but there are explicable, excusing reasons for that. The new screenshots are awesome, and I like the art.

Second DD/SK proposition - It's going to be a startlingly deep and educative game, as well as roaring action entertainment - this synthesis will work, for once, and you will be impressed/edified/stoked.

This I find harder to immediately believe - if it comes off, I will be over the flipping moon, but until that point, I'm entitled and inclined to find the blogs and interviews loading the Western literary and philosophical canon onto this game's back funny and suspect.

If Too Human is the gaming equivalent of Tolkien's mythos or Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, I'll be thrilled and amazed. The message coming from Dyack and Silicon Knights seems to be "take it seriously - the game can take the weight - it's like Gears but with a motherload of brains".

I just want this damn game to finally release so we can have some kind of finality to all the bitching and cock waving.

Denis, if you really want to prove SK as an upper echelon development team concentrate on Too Human and stop wasting your time mincing words with people that are betting against you.

You and your team are obviously very passionate about TH so just put your money where your mouth is and make TH the best damn game you possibly can. Actions speak louder than words, which this thread and others like them say all too loud and clear.

Prine said:
Cant stand posters like you, disrespectful on so many levels.

Someone who's worked with Kojima and Miyamoto goes out of his way to post in this forum, on one of the biggest games from MGS, and he gets nothing but shit.

Your all dickheads

You have a lot of nerve calling me disrespectful.

I never called Dyack an insulting name or said I couldn't stand him personally. All I did was criticize his comments and his attitude toward GAF.

You, on the other hand, have done both of these things in criticizing my comments...

You + glass house + rocks = Uh oh.

Salazar said:
I don't object on spec to Dyack namedropping Shakespeare, but the remark about doing dirty jokes for the groundlings and more elevated fare for the aristocracy is bunk. For a start, the Elizabethan aristocracy were at least as sordid in their proclivities as the peasants, and probably a damned sight dirtier given the leisure and privacy to experiment. What's more, reliable scholarship has shown that we have, over the centuries, significantly underestimated the intellect and ability to track narrative of the common folk who went to watch Elizabethan theatre. For one thing, following sermons as if (as you might well have believed) your immortal soul depended on it would conceivably have trained the mind to keep up with a good deal of the vocabulary and wordplay on offer.

The point isn't just academic - Dyack's bogus ideas about Shakespeare are irrelevant in themselves, for sure, but having this patronising audience dichotomy driving game design sucks. Gamers who want a workable combat system aren't guffawing peasants. I for one won't have my irritation with a substandard game tempered by the idea that entry-level moral philosophy inspired this or that part of it. Just make a good game, and stop pretending that you have the artistic elbow-room to pontificate about how different bits of it will change the lives of different gamers.

hellawesomekk6vm4pm1fc1.gif

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
TreasureHunterG said:
When Duke Nukem Forever cames out, Too Human will still be in development.

Hopefully that was just a facetious act. If that statement had any negative connotation or resonated with you to any considerable degree, read the below paragraph.

Can't you see the contempt Dyack is feeling towards some user's posts on this board? Why don't you at least show a semblance of moral restraint, and keep NeoGaf's unscrupulosity, shame, and respect intact.

Regardless, nice job on the podcast EGM and Dyack. Looking forward to TH more than ever now. If you guys incorporate the sense of innuendo/insinuation of worldly themes and allude to huge global notions, similar to Golding's classic, Lord of the Flies (as you mentioned) I would be stunned.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
To be perfectly fair to Mr. Dyack-san, his spiel about Shakespear and stuff has long been taken out of context. I remember defending him to SSX about the subject well before ED was ever released. When he made these comments about multi-layers, art and story-telling he almost always included the importance of gameplay at the same time. His ideas have some merit. It has been his constant name-dropping and endless self-promotion that has annoyed people for many years.

He is not the prick he often comes across as. I'm actually impressed with his enthusiasm. I met him at E3 (I forget the year, but it was the year ED was first shown for the Gamecube). He was personally demonstrating the game to everybody that dropped by and you could tell he was excited. But at the same time his comments were canned (I heard the near identical routine twice).

The biggest problem with Silicon Knights is that they're all talk and very little substance. All of which was caused by Dyack.

PleoMax

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
I'm beginning to wonder if this Too Human was a mistake on MS's part.

It seems like this game has had delay after delay.

This is going to be a frontrunner for GOTY.

Believe.

KGKK

Banned
PleoMax said:
This is going to be a frontrunner for GOTY.

Believe.

Against MGS4, Halo3, GTA4, Bioschock and Assasins Creed?:lol I gurantee Halo 3 will be at least 360's GOTY, even if Too Human is somehow a better game.
Which I highly doubt.

PleoMax

Banned
KGKK said:
Against MGS4, Halo3, GTA4, Bioschock and Assasins Creed?:lol I gurantee Halo 3 will be at least 360's GOTY, even if Too Human is somehow a better game.

Well we'll see.

And, Mass Effect is more of a candidate than 3 of the games you listed.

senahorse

KGKK said:
Which I highly doubt.

Mass Effect says hello :)

KGKK

Banned
PleoMax said:
Well we'll see.

And, Mass Effect is more of a candidate than 3 of the games you listed.

Oh yeah forgot about Mass Effect although I don't agree that it is more of a cadidate than the others. We might as well add LAIR, Heavenly Sword and DMC4:D. Oh yeah and who could forget, mothaf**ken GoW2! The end is begins b!tches.:D Good year indeed.

PleoMax

Banned
KGKK said:
Oh yeah forgot about Mass Effect although I don't agree that it is more of a cadidate than the others. We might as well add LAIR, Heavenly Sword and DMC4:D. Oh yeah and who could forget, mothaf**ken GoW2! The end is begins b!tches.:D Good year indeed.

Lair and Dmc4?

Lol no...you just ruined everything. There was this "Trust" that i had on your taste, but you had to ruin it. We are talking goty material here...sorry if LAir and Dmc4 don't exactly fit into the equation.

KGKK

Banned
PleoMax said:
Lair and Dmc4?

Lol no...you just ruined everything. There was this "Trust" that i had on your taste, but you had to ruin it. We are talking goty material here...sorry if LAir and Dmc4 don't exactly fit into the equation.

Just like you believe Too Human will be a GOTY frontrunner?:lol

PleoMax

Banned
KGKK said:
Just like you believe Too Human will be a GOTY frontrunner?:lol

Do you believe in AIr? Do you see it? No, but its there.

So just because you don't see it, doesn't make it less true.

I just don't really see what there is to be excited about.

I mean, I love huge epic games as much as the next guy. I also thought Eternal Darkness was pretty entertaining if a bit short and kind of repetitive.

Too Human has always been one of those "hyped" games all the way back to its PS1 roots, but where has it come from? The story? The developer? The gameplay?

Aside from the omgawesome graphics, what is there to be excited about yet?

Edit: Note, I say "yet". I don't mean to put down Denis or his company, I just can't get excited about a game I know so little about.

KGKK

Banned
civilstrife said:
I just don't really see what there is to be excited about.

I mean, I love huge epic games as much as the next guy. I also thought Eternal Darkness was pretty entertaining if a bit short and kind of repetitive.

Too Human has always been one of those "hyped" games all the way back to its PS1 roots, but where has it come from? The story? The developer? The gameplay?

Aside from the omgawesome graphics, what is there to be excited about yet?

Edit: Note, I say "yet". I don't mean to put down Denis or his company, I just can't get excited about a game I know so little about.

Bald guy in an armor suit?

Top Bottom