• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top Gear New Series |OT| No Longer Starring Chris Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching this episode on iplayer right now, shame the ratings aren't higher because this season has been better than anybody could have ever expected.

The Ford GT having an Ecoboost V6 still doesn't feel right though

Number45

Watching this episode on iplayer right now, shame the ratings aren't higher because this season has been better than anybody could have ever expected.
Hopefully it will improve with good word of mouth, everyone I talk to about it has had a positive reaction to it.

The Ford GT having an Ecoboost V6 still doesn't feel right though
Still can't believe this thing is £300k. The last one (that Clarkson bought) was nowhere near that much was it?

Still can't believe this thing is £300k. The last one (that Clarkson bought) was nowhere near that much was it?

No. The old one was more or less the same price as an F430 back in 2004, £120,000. A 488GTB is about £185,000 now, while the Ford is £300,000. The aim has indeed changed.

However!

The new GT will be limited to something like a 1000 cars compared to 4000 for the old GT and essentially no limit for the 488. People have been going crazy about getting/not getting on the new GT list. Demand has been insane. Makes you wonder if they should have priced it even higher ;-)

Patrick S.

Banned
No. The old one was more or less the same price as an F430 back in 2004, £120,000. A 488GTB is about £185,000 now, while the Ford is £300,000. The aim has indeed changed.

However!

The new GT will be limited to something like a 1000 cars compared to 4000 for the old GT and essentially no limit for the 488. People have been going crazy about getting/not getting on the new GT list. Demand has been insane. Makes you wonder if they should have priced it even higher ;-)

I'm glad Shmee got one. Looking forward to his videos of it :)

PJV3

I'm not a car fanatic but it's nice to be able to enjoy Top Gear again. I couldn't stand the predictable trio by the end, the new team are a little stiff but getting better bit by bit.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I gave this new series a shot and all I can say is that this is much better than series 23 ever was.

I do like the Joey/Chris Harris bromance like other gaffers were saying. Unfortunately I do feel like they should utilize Rory more often as he feels like an afterthought, and the studio/celebrity bits are bad to be honest. The car segments are great and I am definitely going to watch the new episodes and future series from now on.

Also, is there no more news? That was one of my favorite segments on the old Top Gear, but I guess that’s just reserved for Conversation Street in The Grand Tour now.

The news was absolutely pointless. By the time an episode aired, anything they debuted we all knew about. Nobody cared.

Best episode so far.

I'm not sure of the order of filming, but the chemistry is improving week on week. Still think Rory could be used more though.

If the show continues in this vein overall though, then I can see lots of people who were turned off tuning back in.

I loved The Grand Tour too, but does anyone else feel that the cinematography in this is better this year?

Stunning throughout.

Haven't watched all of The Grand Tour yet, but I had the same feeling, the cinematography in Top Gear seems better.

Loved the last episode, that Motorstorm event almost made me cry, I need a new one for PS4/PSVR god damnit!

AlphaSnake

Haven't watched all of The Grand Tour yet, but I had the same feeling, the cinematography in Top Gear seems better.

Loved the last episode, that Motorstorm event almost made me cry, I need a new one for PS4/PSVR god damnit!

I immediately thought how awesome a new Motorstorm would be too!!

AlphaSnake

The first time I highlighted that game bubble on the PS3 I had the volume up and it was fucking deafening.

OMG. Yes! Motorstorm and Super Puzzle Fighter HD Remix. Holy fuck. Woke up an entire house with them once.

mclem

Actually, does this move the BBC into being in sync with the US? That might perhaps be the reason for the US being a week offset in the first place?

Actually annoyed there wasn't a Top Gear on Sunday

Last season I wouldn't have cared

Definite marked improvement in the show this time around!

Sir Doom

Really liking the team especially the electric car part.
I really like Sabine guess starring from time to time. Also this is a good Eddie appearance too. Giving Chris as his partner

I'm really enjoying this season than Grand Tour.

LoveCake

I enjoyed the AMG GTR segment a lot, the rest was ok other than when Ross Noble was on screen, I cannot stand him, he ruins everything he is on because he simply will not shut up with his inane banter/jokes, I made a mistake of watching Extra Gear which he was on in it's entirety ARGHHHH!!!

Sir Doom

I actually enjoyed the Cuba segment. Especially after watching Fate of the Furious. I didn't know how hard it was to get a car over there. The hitchhike segment was a good laugh and the drag race really showed a good exchange between the host.

The celebrity is eh

AlphaSnake

Unlike Grand Tour's schticks...Matt's love for heavy machinery is actually pretty cool, as we get some clips and destruction out of them.

Timbuktu

Good season this. This and Line off Duty made for a good Sunday night with the Beeb. Not the most extravagant episode of the series tonight but I'm happy to finally look forward to Top Gear again, hope Matt sticks with this for a while.

satriales

I really enjoyed this series, but found the last episode to be much weaker than the rest. That Bernie interview came out of nowhere and didn't seem like it should be on Top Gear. There were two unrelated amphibious vehicle segments, and the car review is just another Porshe.

Watched the SsangYacht episode that just came on BBCA, my first since the trio departed.

And....

I quite enjoyed it. I'll have to go back and watch this series from the beginning. Quite funny, but perhaps not the re-watching potential that the trio still gives me.

danowat

Banned
Think this weeks episode was the weakest of the series, the 8 wheeler and Ssanyacht was quite good, but wasn't keen on Jay Kay, he looked like he didn't want to be there, and there was no chemistry at all.

And the Eddie - Bernie interview, that was really, really bizarre.........

AlphaSnake

Good episode.

But there was a McLaren 720S in the studio that they never talked about. Wonder why :(

Worst episode of what has been a really good series overall, got me looking forward to watching it every week which hasn't been the case for years.

Harris needs to tone down the stupid faces in the studio segments and I'd like to see a bit Rory because his ability to find joy in the tiniest things makes me happy but they've started to develop some really good chemistry. Really hope the three of them come back for next season.

mclem

Worst episode of what has been a really good series overall, got me looking forward to watching it every week which hasn't been the case for years.

Harris needs to tone down the stupid faces in the studio segments and I'd like to see a bit Rory because his ability to find joy in the tiniest things makes me happy but they've started to develop some really good chemistry. Really hope the three of them come back for next season.

I *think* all the contracts post-Evans were in the context of two seasons - this one, and a second one. My big worry is whether they can hang on to LeBlanc beyond that point - but I absolutely buy that he enjoys doing the show, so hopefully that'll work in favour.

I'm expecting a series this Autumn, given they signed off with "Enjoy Summer and we'll see you real soon", whereas if we're talking next year I think they'd have said - it wouldn't surprise me, though, if they were hedging their bets a little at the start of the series, with a plan to take another year out if they felt it was necessary to do another reboot.

AlphaSnake

I *think* all the contracts post-Evans were in the context of two seasons - this one, and a second one. My big worry is whether they can hang on to LeBlanc beyond that point - but I absolutely buy that he enjoys doing the show, so hopefully that'll work in favour.

I'm expecting a series this Autumn, given they signed off with "Enjoy Summer and we'll see you real soon", whereas if we're talking next year I think they'd have said - it wouldn't surprise me, though, if they were hedging their bets a little at the start of the series, with a plan to take another year out if they felt it was necessary to do another reboot.

Matt's coming back. They literally worked this season around his shooting schedule with 'Episodes'. BBC wants him, and he wants Top Gear.

mclem

Matt's coming back. They literally worked this season around his shooting schedule with 'Episodes'. BBC wants him, and he wants Top Gear.

I'm fully aware he's contracted to the next season, it's the one after *that* which he's not currently locked down for. And it's a tricky game the BBC need to play in terms of payments, and in terms of appearances to the likes of the right-wing rags.

Just started giving the new season a try over the weekend on a lark, and great god damn, its a total transformation over the cringeyness that came before.

These are some really great episodes. Watched the first three and couldn't help but have a shit eating grin all throughout watching Sabine school the other cars on the Nurburgring. She lives and breathes that track.

The star interview segments are still hit and miss, but I do like the idea of getting them involved in more of the show, and love the training sessions with Chris so far.

So wow, count me back in as a fan. Its not the classic crew but its definitely Top Gear.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Season was pretty good TBH. About as good as TGT Season 1.

It's a real pros and cons thing, and I don't see any of my other complaints being contended to any time soon (chiefly Rory Reid needs to be replaced with, pretty much anyone really), but it's good enough to keep me watching.

I can't even imagine what this series would be like without Chris Harris. To say he's carrying the show would be an understatement.

3rdman

Lovin' the series so far! LeBlanc is a surprisingly engaging host and very easy to like. The chemistry is coming together and it's great that they've finally stopped trying to copy the format of the previous shows so strictly. It feels fresh.

Timbuktu

I'm fully aware he's contracted to the next season, it's the one after *that* which he's not currently locked down for. And it's a tricky game the BBC need to play in terms of payments, and in terms of appearances to the likes of the right-wing rags.

I guess it really depends on if he enjoys it. He stuck around for the whole run of Episodes and I can't imagine that show making him that much money.

Rory Reid needs to be replaced with, pretty much anyone really

He's alright, I've seen others asking for him to have more screen time. At the moment he is just so obviously junior to the other two, you don't really have the dynamic of a proper trio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom