• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Random question: where do you guys do your grocery shopping? I kind of hate Metro and always leave feeling grumpy. Just poorly laid out, way too crowded at the Yonge/Eglinton location, some of the workers just straight-up rude. Meanwhile Soebys and Loblaws are more expensive but way more chill and I don't leave with a headache. Haven't found a good happy medium, though.
Metro at Bayview and Eglinton, sometimes Valumart down Bayview. If you think Metro is bad try any no-frills or Sunny's South of Eglinton and Don Mills, everytime there's a sale it's like a hurricane went through the aisle. Or try any Chinese supermarket for that matter, especially in Chinatown. Shitty neighborhood makes a huge difference, not sure if this is a cultural thing but people just don't put stuff back.

Loblaws on Eglinton East of Yonge is quite nice.

ZZMitch

Anyone here go to UTM or live around that area of Mississauga?

I am starting my PhD there in September and have started looking for places to live/potentially a roommate as well. I have been going through Kijiji but most of place single bedroom/bachelor places I have seen so far are a bit expensive so I have been thinking about trying to find a roommate. Would like tips on where to look, or if anyone wants a roommate and lives around that campus let me know haha

jcutner

Random question: where do you guys do your grocery shopping? I kind of hate Metro and always leave feeling grumpy. Just poorly laid out, way too crowded at the Yonge/Eglinton location, some of the workers just straight-up rude. Meanwhile Soebys and Loblaws are more expensive but way more chill and I don't leave with a headache. Haven't found a good happy medium, though.

Yeah fuck that Metro. The only times I go in are on my way home if I need to grab one or two things. I just drive to the Sobeys in Leaside/Laird. Granted, the construction traffic down that stretch of Eglinton is awful.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

No Frills and Food Basics, because they are cheaper.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chinatown used to be good, but all the supermarket deals have basically moved up to the Scarberia area since there are like a dozen Chinese places in the Warden to Kennedy + Finch to Eglinton box.

thabiz

Metro sucks balls. I actually find them more expensive than Loblaws. Sales are rarely good there too. I'm surprised they are still alive tbh.

ahdurian

Just your average commute home from work where the TTC bus driver abandons the bus at Bayview and Yorkmills so he can run across traffic to get on a 122 going the other direction. Yep, average Thursday... Dont think that'll be in the ad campaign

on my buses, it's usually that the bus driver will stop in front of a gas station with emergency lights on, doors fully open, so he can run in and get a coffee.

one time he took 10 minutes because he was chatting with the people there and because of the stop lights

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Shoutout to Freshco.

Good prices, $1, $2, $3 and $4 sales too.

We just moved and I was surprised by how fairly reasonable Freshco was. Cleaner than your average Food Basics, or No Frills, and way cheaper than Metro / Sobeys / Loblaws.

My shopping right now consist of Freshco and Fiesta Farms. No Frills previously being my normal bulk buying location with Loblaws in a pinch, or if we needed better produce.

We have a Costco membership as well and do a trip every couple of months. Mostly to stock up on bulk stuff, but we always end up with a ton of groceries as well which we store (freezing meats, etc)

The only really good thing I can say about Metro is they have good pizza to go, although location does impact it.

gabbo

on my buses, it's usually that the bus driver will stop in front of a gas station with emergency lights on, doors fully open, so he can run in and get a coffee.

one time he took 10 minutes because he was chatting with the people there and because of the stop lights

I've had that too. But it was a McDonalds

I forgot to share with you all the gossip around Rosedale these days. This story actually begins last year.

Sometime around the fall of 2016, a giant blanket fort appeared under the train tracks by my place of employment. I was working the graveyard shift and would walk up every night, and one night, boom, blanket fort. According to my coworkers, some homeless guy set up his fort there and just started living there. They said he was a nice guy, polite and courteous with everybody, and also, apparently, doesn't drink. He chose to set up shop outside our LCBO because of the foot traffic (I've heard some stories, and yeah, being homeless in Rosedale can be amazingly lucrative; I've actually seen people thumbing 20s out of rolls and giving them to panhandlers). I did meet him a few times, as some nights he would be sitting outside of his fort, intensely preoccupied with his smartphone. He quickly recognized me as an employee of the store, and would say hi and ask how my night is going.

Anyways, whatever, so now I'm back to working day shifts and a little over a month ago, I noticed something strange while walking to work. It took me a moment, but then it hit me: The blanket fort was gone. Now, I know some people in the area did not like the simple fact of his existence, and complained about him to us, perhaps the police sometimes, I don't know, but as far as I was aware, neither the property manager nor the police saw it necessary to do anything. He was a nice guy, never caused any trouble, wasn't actually bothering anybody (outside of, again, simply being homeless, and therefore being an affront to a particular kind of Rosedale residence). I figured maybe he had moved on, set up shop somewhere else? My coworkers didn't know either. The blanket fort suddenly vanished just as it had once appeared.

Fast forward about a week (so about a month ago now), and one of my coworkers comes in with a peculiar anecdote. They claim to have seen the blanket fort guy driving a Rolls-Royce around town. Is that how he transports his blanket fort? I don't know. Nobody believed it. But then a Rosedale resident comes into the store (somebody we know, a regular) and says she heard from another friend, who was talking to somebody who saw (so you see where this is going, the classic setup for baseless gossip) the blanket fort being transported to somebody's house. The rumor being, now, that some rich, benevolent saint invited the blanket fort man to move his fort into her backyard. At this point, we're all laughing. Who would do that? Apparently, this particular woman is not well known in the area (as in, residents know of her, but she is not well connected socially, not friendly with others, keeps to herself, whatever). So, you know, it's all rife for gossip.

Two days later, the blanket fort guy walks into the store with a small roll of money to buy some wine. I was not there that day, but one of my coworkers point blank asks him where his blanket fort is, and he says a nice woman let him move it onto her property, so he didn't have to live under the train tracks. Two other coworkers see him and overhear this exchange. They relay this information to everybody else in the store, including me the next day. Now, we're getting curious, too.

About three weeks ago, the rumor changes again. The blanket fort is completely gone. Nobody has seen it. But there have been multiple sightings of the blanket fort man, and the benevolent Rosedale woman, out and about together. Some now think they are related. Others, based on things they have seen, believe they may be romantically involved. Everybody, now, is operating on the belief that the blanket fort man has discarded his blanket fort and lives with the Rosedale woman in her mansion, whatever the particulars of this arrangement may be. One of my coworkers has now seen the man driving a couple different expensive cars around the area, and this was not the same coworker who started the Rolls-Royce rumor. But, at this point, who knows. Everybody is obsessed with the idea of this rags to riches story.

Here's what I know: Two weeks ago, I was working the cash register, and the blanket fort guy and the Rosedale women come up together to purchase some wine. They hover for a moment at one of the displays, and the guy asks her if she has everything. She indicates that, yes, this should be fine. He brings the wine up. He is carrying money, but indicates that the woman will be paying. She uses a credit card, and asks for a box. I put the wine in the box, and the guy picks it up and carries it for her. He still looks like the same blanket fort guy (dirty sweatpants and all), and she is a stereotypical Rosedale woman, wearing a big straw hat, sunglasses, a gaudy dress with bright flower patterns, and is incredibly cheap (rich people love bad, cheap wine). He is driving her car. (On a separate day, only two or three days later, I see a coworker talking with him and helping him find a bottle of whiskey. He complains about the price, says it is too expensive, and walks away.)

I cannot tell if they are related, or sleeping together or anything. I cannot confirm if they are living together (the blanket fort guy has said as much to my coworkers, but again, does not go into the particulars of their arrangement). It does seem likely that, yes, she has given him a place to stay, arranged for some kind of living quarters. He is always with her, and I have seen him driving one of her cars (it was an Audi, iirc; I have not seen the Rolls-Royce myself) on that one aforementioned occasion. It appears, to me, that he is a hired hand. He definitely runs errands for her. He is definitely using her money (but he only uses cash, so he appears to operate with a stipend). It could be more, I don't know. The gossip has become wild and explosive, as you can imagine. Everybody is now convinced he is providing more than one kind of service. I had a customer come in a few days ago and just start talking about this to me out of the blue, with this look of horror on her face, like have you heard about this, can you imagine this, what would compel of woman of Rosedale to do this, did you even see this man, etc.

Anyways, wow, this post got pretty fucking long. I didn't mean to write so much. I guess I couldn't help it. It has certainly been a fascinating few weeks.

Sober

I forgot to share with you all the gossip around Rosedale these days. This story actually begins last year.

Sometime around the fall of 2016, a giant blanket fort appeared under the train tracks by my place of employment. I was working the graveyard shift and would walk up every night, and one night, boom, blanket fort. According to my coworkers, some homeless guy set up his fort there and just started living there. They said he was a nice guy, polite and courteous with everybody, and also, apparently, doesn't drink. He chose to set up shop outside our LCBO because of the foot traffic (I've heard some stories, and yeah, being homeless in Rosedale can be amazingly lucrative; I've actually seen people thumbing 20s out of rolls and giving them to panhandlers). I did meet him a few times, as some nights he would be sitting outside of his fort, intensely preoccupied with his smartphone. He quickly recognized me as an employee of the store, and would say hi and ask how my night is going.

Anyways, whatever, so now I'm back to working day shifts and a little over a month ago, I noticed something strange while walking to work. It took me a moment, but then it hit me: The blanket fort was gone. Now, I know some people in the area did not like the simple fact of his existence, and complained about him to us, perhaps the police sometimes, I don't know, but as far as I was aware, neither the property manager nor the police saw it necessary to do anything. He was a nice guy, never caused any trouble, wasn't actually bothering anybody (outside of, again, simply being homeless, and therefore being an affront to a particular kind of Rosedale residence). I figured maybe he had moved on, set up shop somewhere else? My coworkers didn't know either. The blanket fort suddenly vanished just as it had once appeared.

Fast forward about a week (so about a month ago now), and one of my coworkers comes in with a peculiar anecdote. They claim to have seen the blanket fort guy driving a Rolls-Royce around town. Is that how he transports his blanket fort? I don't know. Nobody believed it. But then a Rosedale resident comes into the store (somebody we know, a regular) and says she heard from another friend, who was talking to somebody who saw (so you see where this is going, the classic setup for baseless gossip) the blanket fort being transported to somebody's house. The rumor being, now, that some rich, benevolent saint invited the blanket fort man to move his fort into her backyard. At this point, we're all laughing. Who would do that? Apparently, this particular woman is not well known in the area (as in, residents know of her, but she is not well connected socially, not friendly with others, keeps to herself, whatever). So, you know, it's all rife for gossip.

Two days later, the blanket fort guy walks into the store with a small roll of money to buy some wine. I was not there that day, but one of my coworkers point blank asks him where his blanket fort is, and he says a nice woman let him move it onto her property, so he didn't have to live under the train tracks. Two other coworkers see him and overhear this exchange. They relay this information to everybody else in the store, including me the next day. Now, we're getting curious, too.

About three weeks ago, the rumor changes again. The blanket fort is completely gone. Nobody has seen it. But there have been multiple sightings of the blanket fort man, and the benevolent Rosedale woman, out and about together. Some now think they are related. Others, based on things they have seen, believe they may be romantically involved. Everybody, now, is operating on the belief that the blanket fort man has discarded his blanket fort and lives with the Rosedale woman in her mansion, whatever the particulars of this arrangement may be. One of my coworkers has now seen the man driving a couple different expensive cars around the area, and this was not the same coworker who started the Rolls-Royce rumor. But, at this point, who knows. Everybody is obsessed with the idea of this rags to riches story.

Here's what I know: Two weeks ago, I was working the cash register, and the blanket fort guy and the Rosedale women come up together to purchase some wine. They hover for a moment at one of the displays, and the guy asks her if she has everything. She indicates that, yes, this should be fine. He brings the wine up. He is carrying money, but indicates that the woman will be paying. She uses a credit card, and asks for a box. I put the wine in the box, and the guy picks it up and carries it for her. He still looks like the same blanket fort guy (dirty sweatpants and all), and she is a stereotypical Rosedale woman, wearing a big straw hat, sunglasses, a gaudy dress with bright flower patterns, and is incredibly cheap (rich people love bad, cheap wine). He is driving her car. (On a separate day, only two or three days later, I see a coworker talking with him and helping him find a bottle of whiskey. He complains about the price, says it is too expensive, and walks away.)

I cannot tell if they are related, or sleeping together or anything. I cannot confirm if they are living together (the blanket fort guy has said as much to my coworkers, but again, does not go into the particulars of their arrangement). It does seem likely that, yes, she has given him a place to stay, arranged for some kind of living quarters. He is always with her, and I have seen him driving one of her cars (it was an Audi, iirc; I have not seen the Rolls-Royce myself) on that one aforementioned occasion. It appears, to me, that he is a hired hand. He definitely runs errands for her. He is definitely using her money (but he only uses cash, so he appears to operate with a stipend). It could be more, I don't know. The gossip has become wild and explosive, as you can imagine. Everybody is now convinced he is providing more than one kind of service. I had a customer come in a few days ago and just start talking about this to me out of the blue, with this look of horror on her face, like have you heard about this, can you imagine this, what would compel of woman of Rosedale to do this, did you even see this man, etc.

Anyways, wow, this post got pretty fucking long. I didn't mean to write so much. I guess I couldn't help it. It has certainly been a fascinating few weeks.
Yo. This is awesome.

Mhee12Bee

Cripplegate This needs to be a CBC pilot asap! Needs to be called "Love, Wine, and Mattress Forts". Could be an anime with a Tsundere rich lady!

Do you require additional assistance with intelligence gathering and general reconnaissance?

dluu13

Anybody got a cubevan and coveralls? I feel like TorontoGAF could pull cable company and get some intel directly

I mean, back in undergrad, a bunch of drunk classmates put on their high vis vests and hard hats then just walked into the business building and started taking signs down. They even got students to help out somehow.

All you gotta do is look authentic and you can almost get away with anything.

So they started selling a TTC pass on the Presto Card. $146. It's apparently limited right now.

The subway entrance near my work doesn't even have Presto yet. How much longer are they selling Metropasses for?

gabbo

So they started selling a TTC pass on the Presto Card. $146. It's apparently limited right now.

The subway entrance near my work doesn't even have Presto yet. How much longer are they selling Metropasses for?

I don't think theyve set a timeline for phase out, or at least I havent heard one publicly

explodet

I really wanted to give the UPX train to Pearson a try, seeing how I live a few blocks from it - but it's closed during the hours I'm departing AND arriving.
So now instead of spending $36 round trip, I get to pay $100 for cabs.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I really wanted to give the UPX train to Pearson a try, seeing how I live a few blocks from it - but it's closed during the hours I'm departing AND arriving.
So now instead of spending $36 round trip, I get to pay $100 for cabs.
My wife and mother took it relatively recently. My mom was pretty meh about it but my wife loved it for the wifi.

John Blade

Stabilizer. I have the DJI Osmo Mobile so shot on my Galaxy S7

Ah...not bad for what you got. Consider about stabilizer but no reason to get one as I am out of the industry for a long time now. Would like to get Zhiyun Crane M if I consider to go into the Stabilizer route if I go back to do some video work.

Top Bottom