• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

wamberz1

Damn, looks like I missed the tickets(Maybe? Site seems down?) thats a shame. Still not used to city life and the fact that events actually happen within a reasonable enough distance to go to.

Hope these thunderstorms don't continue, go the next 3 days with the office all to myself which is spooky enough :l but forecast doesn't look promising.

zroid

Banned
i don't even stream press conferences live anymore. watching them after the fact on youtube lets me skip all the stupid shit -- which, let's face it, is like 80% of the things

Sony conferences were traditionally three hour affairs loaded with graphs and pie charts about how much shit they sold, so I never understood wanting to go to a theatre to watch that.

They've certainly gotten better in recent years, though. The reactions to the "year of dreams" must have been hilarious.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jury duty was an interesting process. I actually wanted to be selected since it seemed like an interesting case (6 charges of drug trafficking and possession of money obtained via unlawful acts), and funny enough the people sat beside me got called up, but my number didn't get called.

It's also interesting to see that in some ways, this is the one area of society where race-based discrimination is allowed - the defence basically challenged any East Asian jurors (maybe East Asians are, through some weird law database, found to rule guilty in drug cases), so I have no idea if I would have been selected anyway.

The funniest moment of the day was when a guy basically found a way to work himself out of jury duty, to the point where the judge basically let him go because she just didn't deal with his nonsense. I guess you might keep that in mind if you ever want to get out of it.

I also find it absurd that in 2017, they're basically picking numbers out of a little drum barrel thing. lol

I really don't see the appeal of watching a press conference in a theatre
It's more for the free crap, I think. lol

Stopdoor

I've been in Toronto the last few summers, but I should be staying here now for a regular job after graduating.

I used to go to some video gaming meetups in downtown but they all folded. I'm really into casual but niche multiplayer console gaming, I hosted stuff when I was in school and I have the equipment for it but obviously it's more complicated being out of school now. The tough part being a good venue and I dunno how filtering random city people would go, might just be a bad idea.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on venues that might make sense. I've been to some local gaming bars/cafes around town and they're cool but a bit too rigid on seating and bringing your own stuff. Something more like a meeting room with a TV or projector works best but most stuff like that is like at least $20/hour. I dunno if any bar might have good private party type rooms for something like that. Probably too expensive.

I'm big into organizing but I'm probably in over my head thinking about something like this on my own. I should probably just be finding a more easily sociable hobby or force myself to just deal with a board game group haha.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I've been in Toronto the last few summers, but I should be staying here now for a regular job after graduating.

I used to go to some video gaming meetups in downtown but they all folded. I'm really into casual but niche multiplayer console gaming, I hosted stuff when I was in school and I have the equipment for it but obviously it's more complicated being out of school now. The tough part being a good venue and I dunno how filtering random city people would go, might just be a bad idea.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on venues that might make sense. I've been to some local gaming bars/cafes around town and they're cool but a bit too rigid on seating and bringing your own stuff. Something more like a meeting room with a TV or projector works best but most stuff like that is like at least $20/hour. I dunno if any bar might have good private party type rooms for something like that. Probably too expensive.

I'm big into organizing but I'm probably in over my head thinking about something like this on my own. I should probably just be finding a more easily sociable hobby or force myself to just deal with a board game group haha.
We do have somewhat regular TO meet ups that some times have gaems going on...!

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I actually went to one last year and I dunno, it was really just eating lol.

I'm more interested in figuring out a dedicated gaming thing, somehow. Just not sure at what scale works.

Well yeah there's eating but there's been a few with games. The last meet up in May we had the switch there.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Ok totally ignore my post... Ended up being a bunch of politicking to get the province to match federal funds

gabbo

I actually went to one last year and I dunno, it was really just eating lol.

I'm more interested in figuring out a dedicated gaming thing, somehow. Just not sure at what scale works.

I've never not seen 3ds/ds gaming going on a meet, even if it wasnt the focus

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
ffs we should've grabbed a decommissioned mobile suit statue from japan instead
Now this would've been cool as fuck, which means Toronto wouldn't do it. Would've been a nice cultural exchange. That area on Dundas between Yonge and University is a mini Jtown anyways nowadays.
I've never not seen 3ds/ds gaming going on a meet, even if it wasnt the focus
Yeah, people whip them out and play with them all the time at meet ups
phrasing

ahdurian

You're there with your fellow ner-I mean gamers.

I go to the theatre screenings for all the free shit they give. I got Ninja Turtles for free last time.

Sony conferences were traditionally three hour affairs loaded with graphs and pie charts about how much shit they sold, so I never understood wanting to go to a theatre to watch that.

They've certainly gotten better in recent years, though. The reactions to the "year of dreams" must have been hilarious.

It's more for the free crap, I think. lol

basically these reasons.
the reactions when FF7 Remake / Shenmue 3 was announced was hilarious
also free PSN credit and other crap is nice

Anyone know where I can buy a plain Jinbei/Noragi top in Toronto?

you mean like a Kimono?

gabbo

The ketchup slip n slide was gross. And it smelled like ketchup, lol.

tenor.gif
?

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I could buy 2 houses on basically a whim while still owing a condo. And working part time (though it sounded like she works full time). :|

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
That reminds me of my cousin when she bought her house in Etobicoke and tore it down to build something that wasn't a piece of shit. She made her brother move back in with his parents in Markham for a year (his work is 5 minutes from his condo so he ended up having an hour+ commute again he hated so much) so she could stay at his 700 square foot condo on Lakeshore with her husband and 2 kids during construction. She would complain any time someone didn't bend over backwards for her during this time until her other cousin gave her a piece of her mind and she stopped being such an ungrateful bitch. She could've easily moved in with her parents and had plenty of space for all of them and not fucked over her brother during that time. Her house is gorgeous though.

garth2000

This article is super infuriating. I'm not even sure who it's written for or about. It seems to be written so that we feel sorry for them, but holy crap, I would kill to be in their position. Four nice properties and family that can bail out their absurd expenses? All while talking about the squatters (who are *actually* people in need) as though they are some nuisance that no one should feel sorry for?

Entropia

No One Remembers
This article is super infuriating. I'm not even sure who it's written for or about. It seems to be written so that we feel sorry for them, but holy crap, I would kill to be in their position. Four nice properties and family that can bail out their absurd expenses? All while talking about the squatters (who are *actually* people in need) as though they are some nuisance that no one should feel sorry for?

And dropping over half a million dollars on a house, sight unseen? C'mon son.

Top Bottom