• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

My wife and I sat outside on the sidewalk by our house in Seattle and watched. Street lights came on and the temperature definitely dropped. That was really cool.

We had an extra pair of glasses that we just let everyone walking around borrow to take a look. That was fun.

My mom is at a Malt Farm in Madras, OR. Her pictures look amazing.

HTupolev

Well, trying to get a timelapse with the DSLR was a bust. There's just no way to keep the camera focused on such a small area with the equipment I have (I have six years to fix it before the annular). So now I'm just going outside every few minutes and snapping a handheld photo.
Yeah. The amount of time it takes the moon to cross over the sun can make it sound like the eclipse is slow-moving in the sky, but those two tiny circles are still tracing a fast east->west arc.

Yeah, similar up in Vancouver. It was pretty incredible. And I was able to verify that the shadows of leaves on trees do indeed reflect dozens of projections of the eclipse. After the viewing party I had everyone in my office staring at tree shadows in the parking lot.

Also, honey bees started dropping from the sky en masse. Like they just completely shut down as the sun faded from view. It was surreal.

Yep, pretty rad. I'm going back to sleep now.

rjinaz

It was pretty decent here in Phoenix. Looked like a pretty good crescent moon, except you know, the sun.

I'm satisfied. The day looked like an overcast day without any clouds over the sun.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Pretty cool to see. Up in Seattle, temp felt way colder. Watched, with glasses for about 20 mins while also streaming the Oregon one. My entire workplace was outside staring up and sharing glasses.

Seattle here too! Tons of us were up on the roof. Lighting and temp change were the coolest parts.

Screenshot from a video I took showing the transition to totality.

screenshot_20170821-1efbp1.png

Obviously undersells the view because phone camera.

daveo42

Banned
Going out in about 20mins to see most of the eclipse. We will hit about 91% totality in SW Ohio, just are too far off from being in totality.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Im a bit mad at myself for not not trying harder to play around with my phone camera and be able to get an actual eclipse shot. Even the corona was too bright for proper resolution on a smartphone, but maybe if I lowered the exposure... But oh well. Was caught up in the moment and gave up to just enjoy the two minutes of totality. So amazing. Totally worth the drive.

And anything below 100% is MAGNITUDES different. Seriously, even 99.5% is nothing like totality. If you're close, do yourself the favour and drive. It's such a huge difference, it's not linear at all.

JCHandsom

Salt Lake City, 93% coverage. It looks like it's 4:00 or 5:00 pm, feels noticeably cooler. The automatic lights at my work turned on with how dark it got. It's funny just seeing a group of strangers passing around a pair of glasses looking at the sky.

Coworker's girlfriend in the path of totality said they could see stars for a few minutes.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, the temp felt like it dropped at least 10 degrees, if not more. It got downright chilly after baking the sun right when is started.

The atmosphere of it was so surreal.

Was pretty weak here in phoenix az. Didn't even get very dark. I didn't have special glasses, so I just made some pinholes in a peice of paper which worked somewhat ok.

It is cooler outside though. Its only like 90°F

Damaniel

Banned
Yeah, similar up in Vancouver. It was pretty incredible. And I was able to verify that the shadows of leaves on trees do indeed reflect dozens of projections of the eclipse. After the viewing party I had everyone in my office staring at tree shadows in the parking lot.

Also, honey bees started dropping from the sky en masse. Like they just completely shut down as the sun faded from view. It was surreal.

Another interesting thing were these 'waves' of shadows that passed over everything just before and just after the peak coverage (in Portland, so 99.5% coverage). It was really weird!

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I don't think the sunglasses work very well, stared for 25 minutes and I'm feeling woozy.

sphagnum

Banned
Street lights starting to come on here in NJ even though its pretty bright. I took a look up with my glasses and saw that the moon is starting to take a chunk out of the sun, but when I filmed it with my phone the sun was so bright you can't even tell the moon is blocking part of ut. Crazy stuff.

Still about 45 minutes until it's at it's max here.

I don't think the sunglasses work very well, stared for 25 minutes and I'm feeling woozy.

25 minutes?

You're probably joking, but that definitely wouldn't be healthy lol.

Like I said earlier, though, I used the glasses and look for a total of maybe 1 minute or two in various combined viewings, and I definitely feel strange.

Rookhelm

clouds are in and out, but I can see it mostly. I've got glasses, and I'm taking pics of it with my phone through the glasses lens too.

I'll to post a couple

Maryland, btw

daveo42

Banned
If you have the same glasses I have, then it says it's okay for intermittent used over 3 hours, but no more than 3 minutes at a time. Also, it should be worn under, not over, any other eyewear you have on.

Starting to eclipse here in Ohio. Wasn't expecting to be able to see the beginning of it so early. Crazy!

Ohio bros! Fistbump.gif

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I find it a little odd that my wife texted me saying she felt weird, dizzy, and got a sharp pain in her head as the eclipse was happening. Im pretty sure she wasn't messing with me as she doesn't pay much attention to this stuff. She is at work and inside a building.

Welp, did my glance, even though it's pretty overcast at the moment, definitely saw obstruction, and well, neat. Think I'm gonna try to make a trip for the next one, since the totality path is a lot closer to my location.

Oh right, and I'm super blind now. Can't see a damn. Total damage.
Not really.

TyrantII

Yeah, the temp felt like it dropped at least 10 degrees, if not more. It got downright chilly after baking the sun right when is started.

The atmosphere of it was so surreal.

The funny thing is the air temp doesn't really drop much at all.

It's just all those photons not hitting your skin and being turned into heat.

Top Bottom