• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

fr0st

Banned
The Moon isn't so great? Are you kidding me? When was the last time you saw an astronomical object with such an ability and movement within the celestial plane? The Moon puts the eclipse game to another level, and we will be blessed if we ever see a planet with its skill and passion for moving in front of things again. The Sun breaks records. Earth breaks records. The Moon breaks the rules. You can keep your statistics. I prefer the magic.

I find it a little odd that my wife texted me saying she felt weird, dizzy, and got a sharp pain in her head as the eclipse was happening. Im pretty sure she wasn't messing with me as she doesn't pay much attention to this stuff. She is at work and inside a building.

Did she go outside and view the eclipse without the special glasses?

The Moon isn't so great? Are you kidding me? When was the last time you saw an astronomical object with such an ability and movement within the celestial plane? The Moon puts the eclipse game to another level, and we will be blessed if we ever see a planet with its skill and passion for moving in front of things again. The Sun breaks records. Earth breaks records. The Moon breaks the rules. You can keep your statistics. I prefer the magic.

This actually made me burst out laughing, good job.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Looking through some of the telescopes these guys have. It's so cool seeing the sun spots and flares while the eclipse approaches totality.

Zabka

Got a good look at the start from my office building roof in NY but looks like clouds are rolling in to spoil the party.

_Ryo_

God dammit. The sun is behind far too many clouds where I am to see anything.And it might storm. I could see it just as it was beginning an hour ago but its too cloudy now. :(

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Same I'm a little worried. Not sure if paranoia or what

I was telling my girlfriend, what if this eclipse, if stared at causes peoples brains and chemicals to trigger off and turn them into rage induced zombies.

So have fun with that.

17bdc5f2cf.png

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
How dark did the streets get? I'm really curious. Here in LA at only partial it was still kind of surreal and cool

Like a late-dusk level of darkness. Was able to see stars.

I'm still amazed at what I just witnessed.

bengraven

I have to be on the phones at my call center when it passes over us - 2:51 pm is out time.

I think it's an omen myself. That I'm stuck in a shitty entry level job at age 38, sucking a corporation's dick.

If you have the same glasses I have, then it says it's okay for intermittent used over 3 hours, but no more than 3 minutes at a time. Also, it should be worn under, not over, any other eyewear you have on.

Ohio bros! Fistbump.gif

No no no no no no no

Filters go OVER glasses or anything else.

LosDaddie

Banned
Central FL (best state 🇺🇸) here

My dudes.....the eclipse is really cool. Like, I had my doubts, but damn, seeing it in person is something else.

Heading out every 15min or so to see it. Productivity in the office today is slow 😂

Here in Alpharetta GA. Didn't get any glasses kids are doing eclipse viewing at school. Sitting outside though at least have to experience it in some capacity.

BHK3

Banned
theres fucking clouds where the sun is

its perfectly clear on the opposite side

Im in NY so i wont get the 100% craziness but WTF WEATHER COME ON

Nista

We went over to one of the local community colleges that had a bunch of telescopes set up. Was pretty cool to see some of the sun features, even with only a 60% eclipse here in SoCal. Also got a pair of glasses to stare at the moon-shaped sun randomly.

I wish we had the reduced sunshine all the time, I'd enjoy the weather here more.

The strangest parts were the sudden drop in temperature and the really crazy way the sky reacted.

The number of idiots at my office to just decided to look up at the sky was astounding. I was yelling at people to not do that.

Osahi

Pretty jealous of the spectacle AmericanGAF can enjoy now. I witnessed a full eclipse in 1999, but it was cloudy. I do remember the strange sensation of the world turning dark and nature getting quiet when it totalled, and it was magic (even without seeing the eclips self).

I hope go witness a full one again someday. Probably will try to see the one in northern spain in 2026

Zutrax

There's a storm here in Iowa, sky is completely covered. Can't see damn thing, even the darkness doesn't feel special because it just feels like regular stormy weather darkness.

Thanks a lot nature.

Top Bottom