• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

DrkSage

Saw the totality right off of Lake Moultrie in SC. It was probably the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Took this at the beginning then soaked it all in.
lpk5hoR.jpg

Amazing.

What's that red spot on the bottom right of the eclipse?

cyba89

Boggles my mind how we just happen to be alive at the right time on a planet that has such a perfect eclipse. Got to be the only intelligent species that gets to witness such a thing in the entire universe.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing that the sun is 400 times the diameter of the moon and 400 times farther away from earth making them both almost the exact same size when viewed from here.

Those are some incredible odds.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The entire state of Oregon is one big traffic jam. We left Albany 2h ago and just got past Salem.

Weevilone

Yeah, it's pretty amazing that the sun is 400 times the diameter of the moon and 400 times farther away from earth making them both almost the exact same size when viewed from here.

My family spent the latter part of the event trying to estimate the odds of a total eclipse on Tatooine.

Kinda regret not getting a solar filter for my telephoto lens, but the little solar glasses over a midrange lens did okay enough. There was only about 70% coverage here, but in 7 years the totality will pass directly over my home—can't wait!

U7t1mnJ.png

Aww.

I remember when there was a total eclipse in the UK..... Many many years back.

Was so cool to have everyone so hyped - I recall there being special live programmes on BBC.

And then I went outside and it was all dark and spooky.

I'm jealous.

Toxi

Banned
Only got to see the partial eclipse here in Denver, but still pretty cool. Got a clear view with no clouds and most of the sun got covered.

Klotera

It stormed earlier in the day and it stormed after, but we got really lucky and it was clear for the totality.

It was everything I hoped for. Here's a shot I got of the totality:

It didn't get quite as dark as people made it out that it would, though. It was as if it was a half hour after sunset. Still really cool and surreal.

Razorback

Portugal got about 15% totality (lol) but at sunset time so I didn't have to bother with special glasses.

Took some pictures. Nothing special but sunsets are always nice I guess.
tOjUThS.jpg

qTbRQIv.jpg

In NJ here and was able to see it! We didn't get the whole thing, but it really was awesome. Someone had glasses and we had welders masks at work. Seeing all the pictures and live shots on tv really really makes me want to go see it in 2024. I was so pumped from what we saw in nj, I feel like I would cry if I experienced it fully.

Xe4

Banned
It got cloudy during maximum, and I slept through most of it anyhow.

Oh well, nothing will beat the totality I watched in 2012.

Somehow, amazingly, there was enough of a break in the clouds around peak time for me to actually see it probably somewhere between 80 and 90%. Just a little sliver of sun on an otherwise overcast day.

Drove down to Franklin, KY to watch it. Absolutely fantastic. The 2024 eclipse is not far from us in Cincinnati so should be great with a shorter drive.

louiedog

Just got back from Tennessee and I'm glad I was flexible in my plans. It was either that or SC and it seems like both the cloud cover and traffic was much better in my TN option. It was incredible and well worth the effort to get to it.

smisk

Never really thought about how much it's dependent on the size of the sun/moon. I'm sure they have eclipses on Jupiter all the them but they wouldn't be as impressive.

LordCanti

I didn't want to spend precious seconds fiddling with my camera so I caught way too much of the corona when it was full. Pics of the sun when it wasn't total came out alright considering I did them through the eclipse glasses though.

Is it the sun? Is it the moon? Yes.

Saw the totality right off of Lake Moultrie in SC. It was probably the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Took this at the beginning then soaked it all in.
lpk5hoR.jpg

It stormed earlier in the day and it stormed after, but we got really lucky and it was clear for the totality.

It was everything I hoped for. Here's a shot I got of the totality:

It didn't get quite as dark as people made it out that it would, though. It was as if it was a half hour after sunset. Still really cool and surreal.

Fantastic pictures.

rashbeep

Banned
so next time Toronto will have a 99.9% eclipse is in 2024. Wonder if it is worth heading out west or to Buffalo to catch the 100%.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management

The moon is slowly moving away from the Earth, does anyone know how much longer we have until a total eclipse is no longer possible? I imagine it's longer than humanity will survive but I'm curious anyway.

The Moon is moving away from the earth, its not really odds as in good timing on humanities part

Chris R

The entire state of Oregon is one big traffic jam. We left Albany 2h ago and just got past Salem.

Ya, looks like we made the right choice in heading to the coast to get back to Portland.

Stopped in Tillamook for lunch and the cheese factory, chilling back just outside of Portland now with very little traffic woes all day long.

Monmouth was the best spot to view it from I think, central, great weather, and roads were easy to drive on before/after the eclipse.

ironmang

Got to see ~80% here in PA with my parents. Glad to experience that with them at least and hopefully we'll get to see totality in 2024. Didn't expect the difference in lighting since 20% is still pretty damn bright but it was cool seeing that slight dimness on the ground around us.

BFIB

Got to see ~80% here in PA with my parents. Glad to experience that with them at least and hopefully we'll get to see totality in 2024. Didn't expect the difference in lighting since 20% is still pretty damn bright but it was cool seeing that slight dimness on the ground around us.
That's what stood out to me the most. It didn't look like dawn or dusk, almost like wearing sunglasses. Everything had a tint to it.

Mashing

2024 goes through some bigger cities. I wonder if hotels in Dallas and Cleveland are already taking reservations.

I'm hoping Houston is close enough to get totality in 2024, but it's probably not quite. 95%+ I'm sure. I think I might take a road trip in 2024 since it's only 3-4 hours away. We got about 65% today.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Ya, looks like we made the right choice in heading to the coast to get back to Portland.

Stopped in Tillamook for lunch and the cheese factory, chilling back just outside of Portland now with very little traffic woes all day long.

Monmouth was the best spot to view it from I think, central, great weather, and roads were easy to drive on before/after the eclipse.

Update: we've moved 44 miles in 4 hours. Eating lunch now. Google says 6h30mins to go for another 340miles.

Top Bottom