• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

B.K.

From Turkey Creek/Farragut, TN:

I drove to Rockwood to see the eclipse. I saw a lot of cars from Knox County on the way back out. Interstate 40 looked pretty bad with everyone trying to get on the road at Kingston. I saw several cars from Pennsylvania. I stopped at a gas station and got some water and heard one guy say he came from Baltimore. He was trying to get to Nashville, but didn't make it. When I was leaving, I saw another guy from New Jersey getting in his car.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
My city was barely in the totality so I drove 30-ish minutes to a small town and watched it in a park with folks. Nasty rain clouds all around us, but we got a nice little window of pure blue sky just for the totality and no longer, lol

MIMIC

Banned
I'm hoping Houston is close enough to get totality in 2024, but it's probably not quite. 95%+ I'm sure. I think I might take a road trip in 2024 since it's only 3-4 hours away. We got about 65% today.

According to Time and Date.com, Houston gets 94% coverage. Pretty close, but not totality.

Here's the 2024 path with cities included:
xjinxAO.png

Thrillist

Also, lucky ass Carbondale, Illinois gets to see it twice.

traveler

Not Wario
Sick all night and morning. Didn't even wake up until after the eclipse so I didn't see any of it. Shame, as it seems like the Pacific Northwest had a pretty good view today.

Happy to say me and my wife are expecting as of two hours ago! Any cool eclipse names we should consider? Hoping for a boy.

Luna, if the baby is a girl

I'm sure this has been asked in the thread, but is staring at a solar eclipse (outside of the totality zone/time) more damaging than staring directly at the sun on other days? Haven't found the answer after a quick google search so I expect the answer is no. My glasses slipped off my right eye and I accidentally stared at it for a half second, and my burnt toast eyeball begs to differ.

Biske

You know... the difference between 90% and a full is fucking insane.

91% was cool, but still fucking broad daylight, a little bit dimmer but eh.

Friend sends me a video of her 100% experience.

Jesus christ. Literally night and day.

I totally understand why non full eclipsers are like "eh boring"

and full ones are like "my soul is changed"

Seriously thinking of going down to south america in 2019

Nozem

Here's the pic I snapped of totality.

koStH2i.jpg

I watched in Oregon near Monmouth, right in the middle of totality, clear sky. As beautiful as all the pictures are (including that one), none of them do it justice. To see totality with your naked eye is indescribable.

The difference between 99% and totality is mindblowing. Seeing a partial eclipse is NOTHING compared to totality.

One of the most beautiful things i've seen in my life.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

I watched in Oregon near Monmouth, right in the middle of totality, clear sky. As beautiful as all the pictures are (including that one), none of them do it justice. To see totality with your naked eye is indescribable.

The difference between 99% and totality is mindblowing. Seeing a partial eclipse is NOTHING compared to totality.

I took a picture with my DSLR (Nikon D5300) with the eclipse glasses lens in front. Would that have damaged my camera?

There's nothing wrong with it, but is there a chance I could have damaged it?

Thanks

Flo_Evans

I took a picture with my DSLR (Nikon D5300) with the eclipse glasses lens in front. Would that have damaged my camera?

There's nothing wrong with it, but is there a chance I could have damaged it?

Thanks

You would be able to tell pretty quick if it's damaged. If there are not big areas burned on the sensor it's fine.

Is it really naked eye though? Unless you don't need the glasses at totality? Because with the glasses on it would just look like a smaller circle inside a bigger circle, no corona right?

Jaeyden

City I'm living in was directly in the middle of totality. Perfectly clear blue skies today. The experience was amazing, totally wasn't expecting it to be as cool as it was. Can't wait till the next one.

Is it really naked eye though? Unless you don't need the glasses at totality? Because with the glasses on it would just look like a smaller circle inside a bigger circle, no?
You don't need the glasses at totality. In fact during totality you can't really see anything through the glasses.

Nozem

Is it really naked eye though? Unless you don't need the glasses at totality? Because with the glasses on it would just look like a smaller circle inside a bigger circle, no corona right?

With the glasses on you see nothing at totality, just black.

ONLY at full totality is it safe to look at the eclipse with the naked eye, and see the beautiful corona effect

I still can't get over how gorgeous it was.

I'm in Michigan and it barely got dark--makes me jealous of everyone who got to see totality. Next time in 2024 I'm going to make an effort to go see it since it will be much closer (Ohio area). I wish I would have for this one

Biske

I'm from The Netherlands and I've planned my vacation to the USA to see this eclipse three years ago. Absolutely worth it.

I'm definitely visiting again in 2024.

This feels like a dumb question cause it is, but does it really require planning that far ahead?

Nozem

This feels like a dumb question cause it is, but does it really require planning that far ahead?

No, it definitely doesn't. A solar eclipse was just one of the things on my bucketlist.

Book hotels for eclipse day itself a few months in advance though! And keep in mind traffic will be rough.

UraMallas

I drove down to St Joseph's MO from Iowa and it was not ideal. There was pretty much total cloud cover except for spotty times when the sun/moon peeked out. When it went completely dark it was awesome but the sun/moon was not visible. We drove back and it took us 6 hours for a 2.5 hour drive. It was neat but I will be sure to do a better job of preparing in 7 years to make ABSOLUTELY SURE I can see it fully.

aceface

On the beach near Charleston, SC it was cloudy most of the morning, but the sun came out just about 15 minutes before totality, so we got to see it!

Agreed with some other people that it was not as dark as I was expecting it to be. It was freaky to be sure, but I could still see light out on the horizon- it was more like a sunset in that regard. Also, I didn't see any stars come out. I'm still glad I made the trip though, seeing that last sliver of light go out and then reappear was something else.

Here's some pictures my wife took:

It's crazy to me that last picture is at 2:50 in the afternoon.

UraMallas

Given what I went through today, I would definitely plan better than I did. I had been planning in some for since February but because of what happened (not getting a very good view) I would have planned a few different routes to different places along the path and I would have gotten a few hotel reservations and cancelled the ones I didn't use. The drive back was horrible. When I say horrible I don't mean drive back after a college football game horrible, I mean stop and go traffic for 100+ miles on the highway horrible.

I would book multiple rooms at multiple places along the path for next time and I would do it months in advance. No doubt.

Biske

Given what I went through today, I would definitely plan better than I did. I had been planning in some for since February but because of what happened (not getting a very good view) I would have planned a few different routes to different places along the path and I would have gotten a few hotel reservations and cancelled the ones I didn't use. The drive back was horrible. When I say horrible I don't mean drive back after a college football game horrible, I mean stop and go traffic for 100+ miles on the highway horrible.

I would book multiple rooms at multiple places along the path for next time and I would do it months in advance. No doubt.

I wonder how much more difficult it would all be in South America. Honestly after watching the videos, I totally understand eclipse chasers.

Some how even though I have the whole worlds knowledge at my fingertips, I didn't look too hard into an eclipse and just remembered like partial eclipses from my childhood and was like "eeeeeeh" Wrong as hell.

Would love to see one in 2019 Hmmm

Pesmerga00

My personal experience was also fairly meh. Online though, there were some amazing images. It's easy to understand why so many ancient cultures tied it into their mythology.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Ok gang -- I looked at the partial sun like twice with no protection for maybe about two or three seconds each today. How fucked am I?

(Fun fact: I actually did the stupid thing when I was just a kid of staring at a full sun for a full goddam minute and not just once. How I hadn't fucked my vision already, I don't know)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Back to civilization.

Woke up very early, and was able to find a very empty stretch of dirt road right next to a railroad track in Wyoming, about 5 miles from the Nebraska state line, about 5 miles south to the Totality centerline, so I still got about 2 minutes of totality. Was really cool being in such a secluded spot for it.

Pictures didn't turn out so well, but they wouldn't capture how amazing it was to see in person. The night sky and the starts suddenly visible, along with the sudden onset of darkness.

Everyone who was talking about being "close enough" to totality, you missed out. Make sure you're somewhere to see the next one in 7 years. It's incredible.

Broank

Wish I had driven the hour or two to Charleston to see the total eclipse. Was a little rainy and cloudy as hell here on Tybee Island so couldn't really see the sun. And even with the 97% coverage it was still pretty light out.

TheExodu5

Banned
Here's some pictures my wife took:

Those are my favorite pictures of the eclipse so far. Too many people taking closeups of the sun. Too few people taking pictures of the sky. The contrast between the dark sky above and the glowing sky in the distance is beautiful.

edit:

Definitely going to try for 2024. Buffalo seems to be the closest city to Ottawa to view it. Not sure if I should try to stray a bit further from the lakes, though. In any case, should be able to plan a day trip to the best viewing area, hopefully.

After that, Calgary in 2044. Looks like it's going to be a long one.

21stCenturyNorthAmericanEclipses.png

jfkgoblue

I'm in Michigan and it barely got dark--makes me jealous of everyone who got to see totality. Next time in 2024 I'm going to make an effort to go see it since it will be much closer (Ohio area). I wish I would have for this one

We drove down to Tennessee from Michigan for it, was totally worth it.

I'm super freakin' jealous of those who got to see the totality today. I am right here in the path in NE Kansas and it was too cloudy to see it during our window.

Top Bottom