• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Cloud cover predictions:

Well, that sucks. Might have to try going to central/western Wyoming...

Catdaddy

Live in Nashville, so will get about 2m 10sec of totality from my backyard. Took the day off work, if for anything else the traffic will be a nightmare for most of the day.

cicatriz

Its a half an hour drive to the goldilocks zone to watch here in Missouri. Though the way the local news is treating this there's going to be Y2K levels of armageddon.

Its a half an hour drive to the goldilocks zone to watch here in Missouri. Though the way the local news is treating this there's going to be Y2K levels of armageddon.

I just moved to the goldilocks zone... expecting cloud-cover, though....

Who knows, maybe it'll be just enough cloud-cover that we can actually look at it, lol.

fallout

If you're still looking for solar glasses, check with your local astronomy club. They might have some available.

Well, that sucks. Might have to try going to central/western Wyoming...
It's still early. It'll be interesting to see how the models are refined over the next week.

In 1999 I grabbed a CD ROM as we were all heading out of the office to watch a partial solar eclipse in London. That worked very well.

Just use a CD or any similar laserdisc.

You can also easily view the shadow of the eclipse projected by leaves of any nearby trees. That's far more spectacular than it sounds.

Another option is to turn a cardboard box into a home-made camera obscura and observe the eclipse projected through the pinhole onto a screen. Use a black binbag with a hole in it. Put it over your shoulders to exclude as much light as possible. Be sure to test it on a normal sunny day before the big event.
How? I'm a bit behind in this thread. Would one look through the CD towards the Sun, near, or away? Any links that would detail this method?

How? I'm a bit behind in this thread. Would one look through the CD towards the Sun, near, or away? Any links that would detail this method?

Use the CD for direct viewing, holding the disc in front of the sun. I believe somebody has already posted a link to a tabulation showing the results of somebody's tests on various blocking materials, including both purpose-built and improvised materials, and the CD seemed to perform quite well.

NASA has a decent page showing how to build a very powerful eclipse projector using binoculars, a tripod and a few large pieces of card. This is very safe and should be good enough for small-scale group viewing.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/solar-viewing-projector

Just use a CD or any similar laserdisc.

You can also easily view the shadow of the eclipse projected by leaves of any nearby trees. That's far more spectacular than it sounds.

Another option is to turn a cardboard box into a home-made camera obscura and observe the eclipse projected through the pinhole onto a screen. Use a black binbag with a hole in it. Put it over your shoulders to exclude as much light as possible. Be sure to test it on a normal sunny day before the big event.

From that page:

I have recently also found a wide range of optical density between individual audio and data compact disks (CD and CD-ROM) because of variations in manufacturing processes. Some compact disks have aluminum films which are so thin that they appear semi-transparent at normal room illumination levels. These CDs are unsuitable for use as solar filters. Higher quality CDs are suitable for use if the aluminum coating is dense enough that the glowing filament of an incandescent light bulb is just barely visible through it.

Most CDs are thin as hell and you can see right through them. Also note they are talking CDs (aluminum) and not CD-R (dye).

I would avoid aluminized polyester which is used in wrappers for food products and collector cards because of the inconsistent optical quality, but even my sample of Poptarts wrapper performed surprisingly well in terms of protection from optical radiation. (It rated as marginally safe.)

http://www.mreclipse.com/Special/filters.html#table1

AndyD

aka andydumi
Driving down to Nashville for this from NYC. We managed to find a camping spot on the path of the eclipse, hopefully traffic won't be terrible and there are no freaking clouds to ruin everything.

Welcome to Nashville. It's going to be insane. Make sure you are in your spot at leasta few hours ahead.

Separately, does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to photograph the eclipse? I have a nice Nikon DSLR, several lenses, UV filter, but I imagine I will need a special filter of sorts?

I would like to take a picture during totality. Can I just put it on a tripod with a 10x lens and point it straight at the obscured sun?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
If you're still looking for solar glasses, check with your local astronomy club. They might have some available.

It's still early. It'll be interesting to see how the models are refined over the next week.

Oh, I know. It's just my plans have always been to go east from my hotel in Wheatland the day of. Seeing those models, even if they're wrong, makes me realize I should have a western plan as well.

Separately, does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to photograph the eclipse? I have a nice Nikon DSLR, several lenses, UV filter, but I imagine I will need a special filter of sorts?

I would like to take a picture during totality. Can I just put it on a tripod with a 10x lens and point it straight at the obscured sun?

Yes, you do not need a solar filter for your camera during totality.

Be very careful outside of totality, you might fuck your sensor or your eyes if you try using the camera without a solar filter.

If you want to build a solar filter now you probably can't get any filter material, it's tough on short notice.. So I'd say do the build your own camera filter thing but use a silver Pop Tart wrapper instead of filter plastic.

Reminder to all. Binoculars, cameras, telescopes all need filters to be used before totality to avoid causing damage. If you look through a long lens or binoculars or telescope wearing solar glasses, you may just melt the solar glasses right into your face.

Damaniel

Banned
Oh, look ... updated cloud cover predictions:

If this keeps up, it looks like it might be bad for people going down the I-5 corridor to see it in Oregon. Could be just partially cloudy though.

Also, I'm kind of amused by the price gouging on Amazon for eclipse glasses. People are trying to sell them for ~$10 each - even the company I bought my American Paper Optics ones from (months ago - I knew this was going to happen). You snooze you lose, I guess (still not a fan of scalping though).

Finally, to add to the chaos I expect to see from people heading down to Salem or Madras, I wanted to rent a car for the week of the 21st (not for eclipse related reasons). As of last week, there were no cars of any kind to rent on the 21st anywhere in Portland. I've *never* seen that happen before.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
If this keeps up, it looks like it might be bad for people going down the I-5 corridor to see it in Oregon. Could be just partially cloudy though.

Also, I'm kind of amused by the price gouging on Amazon for eclipse glasses. People are trying to sell them for ~$10 each - even the company I bought my American Paper Optics ones from (months ago - I knew this was going to happen). You snooze you lose, I guess (still not a fan of scalping though).

Finally, to add to the chaos I expect to see from people heading down to Salem or Madras, I wanted to rent a car for the week of the 21st (not for eclipse related reasons). As of last week, there were no cars of any kind to rent on the 21st anywhere in Portland. I've *never* seen that happen before.

Rental cars have been sold out for a while now, you're waaaaay late for that lol.

The I-5 will be a catastrophic mess either way, they're predicting the biggest "traffic event" in the state's history. It'll be really interesting whether I'll make it home to BC the night of the 21st, we'll see. It'll be a mess.

hyp3rlink

Rental cars have been sold out for a while now, you're waaaaay late for that lol.

The I-5 will be a catastrophic mess either way, they're predicting the biggest "traffic event" in the state's history. It'll be really interesting whether I'll make it home to BC the night of the 21st, we'll see. It'll be a mess.

Where are you guys planning to view the event? Albany or Salem? I still need to book a place to stay the night.

Smiley90

Where are you guys planning to view the event? Albany or Salem? I still need to book a place to stay the night.

You're like 3 months late for that. Check religiously every couple hours hoping people cancel and be ready to pay a LOT of money

(or do what I did and buy points for the program and pay with fixed-value points to save money)

I'm staying in Albany, no rooms in Salem ever popped up, so Albany is the closest I got.

fallout

I booked my campsite in Nebraska a year ago and it's not even on the eclipse track. Everywhere else in the area was entirely booked up.

Mortemis

Banned
Looks like my plans fell through to see this in Oregon, man I really suck at planning things.

So is there really a huge difference between 90 and 100%? Will it even get that dark with 90%? Sucks but whatever, maybe I'll travel for the 2024 one.

Smiley90

Looks like my plans fell through to see this in Oregon, man I really suck at planning things.

So is there really a huge difference between 90 and 100%? Will it even get that dark with 90%? Sucks but whatever, maybe I'll travel for the 2024 one.

huge difference

no it won't get very dark

99.5% coverage will still be as bright as 10'000 full moons, so 90% extrapolate from that.

Jeff-DSA

Our cabin in Star Valley, Wyoming is in the path of 99.7% totality, so we have to go about 5 miles north to make it in 100% coverage. I'm REALLY hoping for the clouds to have a no show during totality, because I'm not planning on traveling anywhere else for this.

Chris R

Our cabin in Star Valley, Wyoming is in the path of 99.7% totality, so we have to go about 5 miles north to make it in 100% coverage. I'm REALLY hoping for the clouds to have a no show during totality, because I'm not planning on traveling anywhere else for this.

5 miles will get you inside the totality but you probably want to drive just a little bit more to extend the time window.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/interactive_map/index.html

Driving to Alpine will give you 30 seconds of totality, driving to Teton Village will give you 140 seconds of totality.

Right outside Charleston SC. Have a photoshoot set up with my girl. Using it to propose and have an excuse for a camera there. Mother Nature please help out, no clouds or rain.

Damaniel

Banned

Yeah, I wasn't planning to rent one for that reason (I have a visitor coming and wanted to take him and a few friends up to Seattle, and there's not enough room in my own car) - I'm staying far, far away from anything resembling a road that heads south, to the point where I'm going to stay home from work just to avoid I-5, I-84 and 26 (both of the latter feed into I-5).

I still know someone who thinks he can leave at like 6AM and head down to a baseball game in Keizer that's happening during the eclipse. I have yet to convince him that even 'taking the back roads' isn't going to help any with that.

Jeff-DSA

5 miles will get you inside the totality but you probably want to drive just a little bit more to extend the time window.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/interactive_map/index.html

Driving to Alpine will give you 30 seconds of totality, driving to Teton Village will give you 140 seconds of totality.

Yeah, I think we'll go up closer to Teton Village or Jackson Hole. It's going to be crazy going up that canyon towards Jackson, I bet. My plan is to pack a lunch, extra snacks, plenty of water, and get on the road SUPER early the day of the eclipse. Normally that's about a 45-minute drive from our cabin, but I'm betting it's 3-4 times that long at best on the 21st.

gatling

I'm off work for this. I'm so excited. Going to take a camping chair and walk a few blocks to the riverside park an hour in advance. I expect a lot of people will be there which will make it better. Hope some of us selectively become chosen ones.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
My work was selling the solar glasses---they went FAST, and people were calling for them all night.

I picked up two myself just in case before they sold out, one for me and one for someone extra if I can find someone to go with---I have someone in mind but I'm not sure about their status.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I know someone with an airb&b in eastern Oregon and they're renting out their place for $10k/night for 3 nights. Crazy.

So how does a flat earther explain an eclipse?

The average flat earther seems to have difficulty understanding how basic astronomy works.

Patient Zero in the flat earth outbreak is usually considered to be Samuel Rowbotham (1816–1884). The most durable vector for the contagion seems to be Rowbotham's published work. Other risk factors are innumeracy and bad geometry.

Rowbotham's idea of how the eclipses work is especially delicious. I won't spoil it.

You can find more about the flat earth ideas, which have changed very little over 150 years and still can't find a way for Australia to not be a stupid-looking sausage on their silly map, in Rowbotham's works, which are easily accessible by googling. Yes, the flat earth has gone global.

Top Bottom