• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

sarcastor

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...pse-solar-eclipse_us_599482dce4b0d0d2cc83a254

Bonnie Tyler will perform her iconic hit “Total Eclipse of the Heart” at the same time while aboard Royal Caribbean’s Total Eclipse Cruise.

god dammit. i want to go to there.

bonnie-tyler-eclipse-gif.gif

Got free glasses from the HR department at work (who in turn got them from the Adler planetarium), it won't be total but whatever.

norm9

Ready for this to be over and done with. My work has been inundated for two weeks now with people constantly asking us about solar glasses. We have signs and flyers saying we're not giving them out until the day off but nobody trying to read shit.

I'll be at a staff viewing party in Knoxville. As much as I want to drive that 30 or so miles down I don't want to deal with the traffic and projected cloud cover.

Stupid me hadn't looked at what I'd need to protect my camera. Solar filters are completely gone obviously, but the glass used in welding helmets is a substitute. I found a supplier online and have two welder shade #12 filters coming via ups. Looks like I can jury rig something in time. They're also good nd filters too.

B.K.

I'll be at a staff viewing party in Knoxville. As much as I want to drive that 30 or so miles down I don't want to deal with the traffic and projected cloud cover.

You don't even have to drive that far. There will be totality in Farragut. If I was in Knoxville, I would probably just drive out to Turkey Creek and get a spot in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

Moshio

Neo Member
I bought plastic glasses from daylight sky.co.uk. They are on the AAS list but I noticed nowhere on the package does it mention the ISO rating. The only indication is the standard ISO logo on cardboard/paper part at the top of the package. Is that normal for some not to have the markings?

You don't even have to drive that far. There will be totality in Farragut. If I was in Knoxville, I would probably just drive out to Turkey Creek and get a spot in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

Oh wow I didn't know Farragut was in the totality path. Thanks for the heads up. I may just take a personal day and hang out at a bar.

fallout

What's a partial eclipse going to look like? Does it get dark at all? I am in NY
It won't get dark at all. With proper eye protection, you'll be able to see the moon passing slowly in front of the sun. It'll look like a dark disc in front of a bright disc. The whole process will take a couple of hours.

Crispy75

What's a partial eclipse going to look like? Does it get dark at all? I am in NY

It will look very cool. The sun will be a crescent (use eye protection!) but it doesn't get appreciably dark. The sun is incredibly bright so even 30% of it (which is the minimum amount of daylight you'll get in NY) is more than bright enough to feel like daylight. Even 95% will still feel like day. Only totality has the utterly spooky "night time" effect.

I just took a trip to my local planetarium to purchase some glasses and arrived right after they sold out. I saw scalpers selling them for $20 a piece right around the corner. Ummm... no thanks.

I guess I'm pretty SOL now. :(

Even a partial eclipse is something special. In 1999 in London we saw the bright August morning turn cool, some birds reacted by going to roost, and there was a hush as people on the busy South Bank of the Thames stopped their chattering and admired the sight.

Even without protection that would enable you to safely look at the partially eclipsed sun, you should look at any trees in your vicinity. The sight of the eclipsed disc being silhouetted on every single leaf of a tree is something you will never forget.

Ironically those in the small area of totality that morning were the unlucky ones. A blanket of cloud obscured the sun in Cornwall.

TeegsD

Decided against driving down to Salem, OR for totality. Just seems like its going to be a complete cluster. Tri Cities aren't too far away so we should at least get something good. Did hear about a farmer in the totality zone renting land for RVs at $1000/pop. Already has over 300 reservations...

fallout

Even without protection that would enable you to safely look at the partially eclipsed sun, you should look at any trees in your vicinity. The sight of the eclipsed disc being silhouetted on every single leaf of a tree is something you will never forget.
That's a really good point, actually. Even if you can't get your hands one some eclipse glasses, try building your own pinhole camera:

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/make-pinhole-projector.html

Elandyll

Banned
Amazon really did me in by sending me an email in the middle of last week telling me that due to the provider I picked not having provided docs they basically cancelled on glasses and will reimburse me, but now can't find glasses anywhere of course (it seems scalpers bought massive amounts).

On the funny side, at Rite Aid, a sales associate looked at me weird when I asked for Solar Eclipse glasses.
Then she said "Oh I'm sorry, but we only carry Foster Grant glasses".

#facepalm

smisk

Gonna be 80-something % here in VA, should be cool. Got glasses from Amazon.
Gonna try hard to make it to the totality in 2024.

Caja 117

By coincidence my family and I had made reservations for vacation next week in Myrtle Beach, SC So this would be awesome, I just hope I make it to SC before the eclipse starts.

Thankfully work sent out an email last month saying if I wanted a pair I needed to reserve the glasses then. Just picked up a pair from HR.

My shade #12 filters should arrive tomorrow.

Optometrists, brace yourselves.

Earlier I heard some students debating whether the precautions about eye protection were overblown.

smisk

Earlier I heard some students debating whether the precautions about eye protection were overblown.

There was an article the other day about a dude who got part of his retina burnt out looking at the one in the 70s, now has a permanent blind spot in one eye. Wouldn't risk it.

Got lucky yesterday and my job randomly started selling some glasses for a dollar, so I grabbed a couple. We're only going to be at 80% around here, but my niece has never seen an eclipse before, and I have the day off, so I figured it would be a fun thing to do with her. If I remember well enough, I'll probably try to find totality for the 2024 one, as a 2-3 hour drive to around Indianapolis is better than a 5-7 hour drive to around Carbondale/St. Louis.

Chris R

I'm just worried that traffic in Oregon means I'll end up sleeping in my rental car on the side of the road :(

Not trying to get right on the best totality viewing line, just in the zone maybe 15-20 miles :(

woo! I just got a week of vacation for August approved, timed for this event. My mother-in-law just bought a condo in eastern TN, so we have a place to stay..

I'd also add: North America won't have many of these events over the next 50 years. When I did the math on my life expectancy and realized that I only have a few eclipses left, taking time off was a no-brainer.

21stCenturyNorthAmericanEclipses

Sweet. I get to see this one and the one in 2024.

I'm just worried that traffic in Oregon means I'll end up sleeping in my rental car on the side of the road :(

Not trying to get right on the best totality viewing line, just in the zone maybe 15-20 miles :(

A friend of mine in Bend says Prineville and Bend are already starting to run low on gas and that there are 30 mile backups heading into Prineville, and this is is four days before the eclipse.

My mom is going to an event at a malting farm in Madras, OR for the eclipse. She and my godmother left this morning for Bend where they'll stay until the party starts on Sunday. She's not planning on coming home until Thursday or Friday when my dad gets back from fishing in Alaska.

A friend of mine in Bend says Prineville and Bend are already starting to run low on gas and that there are 30 mile backups heading into Prineville, and this is is four days before the eclipse.

My mom is going to an event at a malting farm in Madras, OR for the eclipse. She and my godmother left this morning for Bend where they'll stay until the party starts on Sunday. She's not planning on coming home until Thursday or Friday when my dad gets back from fishing in Alaska.

its interesting the commercial side of America didn't really see how hype the eclipse is and as it dawns on people they may only get to see one or two of these in their entire life a lot of late plans are getting made.

I heard an eclipse special on the BBC and immediately felt like booking a last minute flight there to see it. It's going to be nuts.

If you any of you guys lives in Eugene Oregon go the Titan store in Lane community college for eclipse glasses. A couple of dollars for each pair.

FyreWulff

woo! I just got a week of vacation for August approved, timed for this event. My mother-in-law just bought a condo in eastern TN, so we have a place to stay..

I'd also add: North America won't have many of these events over the next 50 years. When I did the math on my life expectancy and realized that I only have a few eclipses left, taking time off was a no-brainer.

21stCenturyNorthAmericanEclipses

Alberta economy going to spike in 2044

its interesting the commercial side of America didn't really see how hype the eclipse is and as it dawns on people they may only get to see one or two of these in their entire life a lot of late plans are getting made.

Restaurants that are normally closed on Sunday in Nashville woke the fuck up a few days ago and announced they are going to be open. Friends of mine (that I'm staying with) work at a $$ restaurant bar and almost got forced to work but lucked out on the draw.

This week I made my own telescope filter using Thousand Oaks Optical film with cardboard and duct tape. Then with leftover film I made solar glasses using some old RealD 3D glasses.
0u3DN1n.jpg
uKgw6ec.jpg

Chris R

Ya, not going to try to go east of I-5, just hoping to get down to some place like Dallas or even as far as Monmouth.

I'll be satisfied with making it as far as McMinnville though I guess :\

molnizzle

Restaurants that are normally closed on Sunday in Nashville woke the fuck up a few days ago and announced they are going to be open. Friends of mine (that I'm staying with) work at a $$ restaurant bar and almost got forced to work but lucked out on the draw.

This week I made my own telescope filter using Thousand Oaks Optical film with cardboard and duct tape. Then with leftover film I made solar glasses using some old RealD 3D glasses.
0u3DN1n.jpg
uKgw6ec.jpg

Can you still get this film everywhere?

I've been desperately trying to track down glasses all day. There's nothing left.

Businesses did and they're long sold out or booked up. More people are just now trying to "life hack" their way down there, and will probably get stuck on a highway far away from it.

Top Bottom