• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

I wonder how settlements will work in the xpac, and whether it'll be the same 2v2 pairing in terms of who can control what. And whether that will carry over into the Old World, so e.g. Skaven or Dark Elves can invade the Dwarven/Greenskin lands.

Also curious how the xpac will affect stuff like victory conditions (and naval capacity) for Old World factions. The modular nature makes me think "not at all," but that'd be kind lame, honestly. In the same vein, they're going to have to retouch the vanilla factions (and Chaos) before too long as they're falling farther and farther behind, quality-wise.

Violet_0

Banned
my hopes/expectations for the second game:

Lizardmen, Skaven, High Elves, Dark Elves as starting factions (e: or maybe Demons instead of Skaven, with only Clan Pestilens present in some form. They might want to keep Skaven for game 3)

Lizardmen can only settle in their ruin cities in Lustria, they will probably have a unique campaign goal that doesn't involve leaving Lustria and eliminating other factions
Skaven might get a special campaign ability that allows them to settle under cities/fortresses already occupied by other faction and infiltrate them. It's time the dwarfes also face some actual opposition
Dark Elves will be sort of like WE with a few cities on their continent, and then they go around raiding the rest of the world
High Elves would probably play similar to most normal factions, with an extra focus on their strong navy. They might have to conquer their own homeland from rivals first and defend themself from DE and Chaos raids

Estalia could be a cool pre-order DLC with a number of new units. They mess around with the Lizardmen and Skaven in Lustria and their economy relies on plundering the new world and sending the looted goods home by cargo. And they all get funny Spanish accents

undead pirates might be in, but not as a playable faction

naval battles would be neat, but not super necessary. It would require a lot of modelling work since every faction has their own ship designs

updated campaign goals for some of the older factions would be welcome

more options for diplomacy, please

diversify the lord/hero skill tree. The Banshee skill tree for example makes zero sense currently, it feels like a placeholder. And add ranged scream attacks for the Banshee and Terrorgheist

they might also finally reveal the "Old Friend" DLC - my guess is Boris Todbringer, with a number of Middenheim-specific units that wouldn't require too much effort

regarding possible game 2 DLC factions, Khemri seems unlikely since they'd require a large expansion of the map down South. Ogre Kingdoms, Chaos Dwarfes and Kislves are all in the East, it would make sense for them to be in game 3. Demons of Chaos seems the most likely pick since they fight against the Lizardmen as well. Or they keep Khemri, Ogres, CD and Demons for game 3 and work on the minor factions - Warriors of Chaos Divided, Kislev, Lahmia- and add missing units to the existing ones. Looks like game 3 will be sort of of tough sell with all the most popular factions already being covered, they'll likely have to spice it up a bit with the End Times event

It's funny how that's worked out.

I think it's because while Age of Sigmar does have some cool stuff going on, the setting just does not work as well for anything but a war game.
it just sort of weird that they continue using the old WHF universe for these games, but I'm not complaining

4Tran

it just sort of weird that they continue using the old WHF universe for these games, but I'm not complaining
It's not strange at all. While GW may have been interested in kicking off a new universe for their games, Age of Sigmar doesn't offer anything to any other company. It's just a vastly inferior setting to the Old World.

127.4 MB update on Steam. I don't see any patch notes?
Patch Notes:

The Total War: WARHAMMER multiplayer leaderboards have been reset.
A 5% score penalty will now be applied to users caught drop-hacking from multiplayer battles (disconnecting under suspicious circumstances).
Fix for users becoming unable to save the game, after the last chapter mission is completed on Legendary difficulty.
Fixed a missing building chain in the Grung Zint settlement.
All income types from Farming/Industry bonuses are now being applied correctly to all resource buildings.
Fixed a rare crash when disbanding Heroes on the campaign map.
Fix for Guardians of the Lady skill giving magic resistance instead of missile resistance.
Fix for Gelt's Pegasus unlock level.
Fix for inconsistency between Strigoi and Ghorst spells and the main lore spells.
Chivalry is no longer gained for torturing people in during Quests.
Updated garrison for Couronne and removed wall building chain.
Various text, game guide and localisation fixes.

Balancing Changes:

Questing Knights
- 8 Charge Bonus

Foot Squires
- 10 Leadership
- 6 Charge Bonus

Men-at-Arms
+ 25 Cost

Helman Ghorsts's Vanhel Danse Macabre
-1 Power Cost

Strigoi's Soulblight
+1 Power Cost

[Source]

RIP Bretonnia, I guess. Still haven't tried them... but I've been dying to.

Brets is a good faction overall.
It's funny how that's worked out.

I think it's because while Age of Sigmar does have some cool stuff going on, the setting just does not work as well for anything but a war game.
It just needs to grow more, which their doing, the problem with WHFB is that people stopped playing it.

Violet_0

Banned
something amusing from reddit
lhxvfudwpdoy.jpg

finally have an Empire game that actually goes well. Aside from the four simultanous wars turn 30-50 against Marienburg, Avenland, Hochland and Crooked Moon shortly after expanding north/east that forced my armies to sit idle my cities until I could make peace with Avenland and Hochland and then rush Marienburg (those jerks) it was a pretty smooth ride so far. Declared war on the VC on turn 60 something now, we keep trading The Moot and Schwartzhafen but I have only just started upgrading my army. Going from flagellants and crossbowmen straight to halberd demigriffins, skipping pretty much everything in-between. I wanted to make heavy use of the rifle cavalry since I have a new-found appreciation for them but I never can get the Empire army progression right, pretty much all the gold and building slots goes to walls and economy buildings

Lord Phol

Finally completed my bretonnia campaign. My longest by far at around 340 turns (Hard). They did a good job fleshing out the faction and making it unique, but I personally found them super tedious to play. Peasants and cavalry just isnt my thing. Just glad to have it done and over with. Expansion 2 should be awesome as I'm interested in all 4 factions that's been speculated.

How do you guys deal with those anti-infantry chariots? Im playing with empire on second hardest diffuculty and enemy armies seem have like four of them in one stack and I have no idea how to counter them. Also do you guys use mortars and if so which ones and how many? Currently I have 3 stacks of those second tier anti-infantry mortars and 1 anti-large cannon in my largest army and im starting to think they are not worth it.

Sändersson;233033681 said:
How do you guys deal with those anti-infantry chariots? Im playing with empire on second hardest diffuculty and enemy armies seem have like four of them in one stack and I have no idea how to counter them. Also do you guys use mortars and if so which ones and how many? Currently I have 3 stacks of those second tier anti-infantry mortars and 1 anti-large cannon in my largest army and im starting to think they are not worth it.
Every monster and everything on a horse with anti-large will murder chariots.

Violet_0

Banned
turn 90, only need Hochland, Nordland and Middenland for the long campaign victory goal, and fight back the Chaos Warriors. Empire short and long campaign goals are nearly identical aside from the later one requiring you to destory the vampires, which you pretty much got to do anyway since you need Sylvania

unfortunately Middenland and friends don't like me much, they're aren't weakened yet by Chaos either which I'm holding back so I don't know how I can get these provinces by non-military means before Archaeon shows up

e: finished on turn 120 (hard), stupid Chaos Beastherd kept running away from me till Archaeon arrived
Sändersson;233033681 said:
I don't really encounter many chariots since I usually just auto-battle the Norse tribes as they never stand a chance, but cav should get rid of them. All their damage comes from the charge attack, get them stuck in melee

mortars are only really useful against unarmored infantry (and they miss alot), cannons are fantastic against elite cavalry, elite infantry, monsters, everything else, in that order (imo). Once you lose 7 Blood Knights to a single cannonball you learn to respect them. Unanswered artillery can rack up 200+ kills against high-value targets over the course of a battle

karnage10

Banned
finally have an Empire game that actually goes well. Aside from the four simultanous wars turn 30-50 against Marienburg, Avenland, Hochland and Crooked Moon shortly after expanding north/east that forced my armies to sit idle my cities until I could make peace with Avenland and Hochland and then rush Marienburg (those jerks) it was a pretty smooth ride so far. Declared war on the VC on turn 60 something now, we keep trading The Moot and Schwartzhafen but I have only just started upgrading my army. Going from flagellants and crossbowmen straight to halberd demigriffins, skipping pretty much everything in-between. I wanted to make heavy use of the rifle cavalry since I have a new-found appreciation for them but I never can get the Empire army progression right, pretty much all the gold and building slots goes to walls and economy buildings

One interesting way to use outriders is by using them as "crossbowmen", because they are on horses they can fire above your infantry without the need to flank, because they also have AP they do more damage to most late game units then crossbowmen; that said if you have flank superiority they better serve you in the flanks and rearguard where the enemy shield can't block shots.
Most of the empire roster stays relevant the entire game. the only units i feel that are "useless" are the swordsmen, spearmen,mortar, pistoliers and empire knights. These units have better "variants" but the rest of the rosters as a place on a balanced army.
All this is to say that there is no wrong empire army progression.

Violet_0

Banned
One interesting way to use outriders is by using them as "crossbowmen", because they are on horses they can fire above your infantry without the need to flank, because they also have AP they do more damage to most late game units then crossbowmen; that said if you have flank superiority they better serve you in the flanks and rearguard where the enemy shield can't block shots.
Most of the empire roster stays relevant the entire game. the only units i feel that are "useless" are the swordsmen, spearmen,mortar, pistoliers and empire knights. These units have better "variants" but the rest of the rosters as a place on a balanced army.

yeah, the big problem with handgunners is that they need LoS, so unless you can position yourself on a hill, it's difficult to protect them and get them to fire consistently. Their advantage of course is that the rifles deal way more damage than other projectiles. With outriders, you get highly mobile handgunners that can easily get in a position to unleash their weapons on the enemy while being untouchable for most melee units. Oh, I didn't even know that they can fire over infantry regiments

empire knights are good I think, if you strictly need shock cavalry against soft targets I'd take mass over class. I finished my campaign with empire knights being my highest-tier units (that I actually built) aside from RoR. In custom battles I tend to pick the cheaper knights for cost-efficency and more units on the battlefield. Pistoliers only work for me if the enemy has nearly no ranged units, I tend to ignore them completely

e: well I also had a number of greatswords and a few cannons and a rocket battery among my 6 or so doomstacks. I had maybe 2 or 3 manual battles post turn 50
anyway, 3 hours to go for the reveal I think?

ElyrionX

Wait. What's the better version of Mortar? Hellstorm? I was reading somewhere that Mortars remain the best artillery unit (apart from Steam Tanks) into late game.

hear4beer

The countdown on youtube is up in less than 30 minutes! Hoping for a few surprises since it seems most of the internet has figured out the four factions already.

Violet_0

Banned
The countdown on youtube is up in less than 30 minutes! Hoping for a few surprises since it seems most of the internet has figured out the four factions already.

my last minute guess is Demons over Skaven since demon invasions are a relatvely common occurence in both Lustria and the High Elves realm, they are the arch-enemies of the Lizardmen and they could appear at the same time as Archaeon in the Old World to wreck havoc. And I think they should leave at least one popular army - Skaven - for the last game, since Ogre Kingdoms, Khemri, Chaos Dwarfes and Demons to a lesser extend were some the least-played factions in the tabletop game - even though they are among my favorites :p

hear4beer

my last minute guess is Demons over Skaven since demon invasions are a relatvely common occurence in both Lustria and the High Elves realm, they are the arch-enemies of the Lizardmen and they could appear at the same time as Archaeon in the Old World to wreck havoc. And I think they should leave at least one popular army - Skaven - for the last game, since Ogre Kingdoms, Khemri, Chaos Dwarfes and Demons to a lesser extend were some the least-played factions in the tabletop game - even though they are among my favorites :p

Expanding the tiny chaos forces would be a good trade for Skaven. I think tomb kings and a chaos overhaul could serve as the popular reasons to buy the next expansion as well.

Violet_0

Banned
pretty neat trailer

if they stick to the 4 factions per base game plan, I'd say those storm clouds at the end could be a sign for Demons well maybe DLC

So, new Trailer shows:
Dark Elves with Shades (the guys with repeater crossbows), Dreadspears/swords and Witch Elves
High Elves with a Mage and Spearmen
Lizardmen including good ol' Kroak
Teaser for Skaven (plague rat -> Clan Pestilence)

Takes place in Lustria.
So pretty much what everyone expected but good to see nontheless ^^.

Definitely High Elves, Dark Elves, and Lizardmen. I guess it could go either Demons or Skaven based on the ending. I'm hoping Skaven. =)

Bizazedo

pretty neat trailer

if they stick to the 4 factions per base game plan, I'd say those storm clouds at the end are could be a sign for Demons

If I remember right, that storm was made by the High Elves to suck in magic or chaos or something and help keep Chaos at bay.

4th race is Skaven due to the teaser with the rat.

hear4beer

If I remember right, that storm was made by the High Elves to suck in magic or chaos or something and help keep Chaos at bay.

4th race is Skaven due to the teaser with the rat.

there was a short video at EGX just now where a campaign designer mentioned the vortex being central to the campaign so it'll probably function as the western continents end game goal.

edit - From the steam page "Shortly after launch, owners of both the original game and Total War™ WARHAMMER II will gain access to the colossal new combined campaign. Merging the landmasses of The Old World plus Naggaroth, Lustria, Ulthuan and the Southlands into a single epic map, players may embark on monumental campaigns as any owned Race from both titles."

Sucks it won't be in at launch but that's gonna be great.

4Tran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXxe897bW-A I guess they fudged the annoucement so heres the video

Looks like it's the 4 races everyone guessed. Either way Lizardmen look awesome and I can't wait to see the full unit rosters.
It's exactly what I expected, but it's good to get confirmation. I especially liked the glimpse of the Slann; so pudgy!

I think that it'd be a good idea for CA to announce the next historical title as well. The historical fans are a little bit antsy at being ignored for so long. Unfortunately, a lot of this group are firmly interested in European history, and as CA has been hinting at the Three Kingdoms being their next historical title, I don't know how much they're going to be sated.

I suspect that CA will have a DLC faction for Total War: Warhammer II, and the Demons are going to be a fairly strong candidate for that role. The third game can then have a new faction that's never been featured in the tabletop game to generate interest. Maybe something like Cathay or Ind.

I thought this was supposed to be an expansion and not a sequel. I'm a bit confused now.
It's supposed to be a separate game as big as the original Total War: Warhammer. If you own both games, they'll combine into one giant world map, and all of the factions can be played in multiplayer. You can think of it as a giant-sized expansion as well.

ISee

so who's the flying Jabba?

Lizardman king?

They're called slann. Extremly old and very powerfull mage-priests. They were created by the old ones and rule the lizardmen. There are five generations of them, each a bit less powerful then the previous. The first generation is dead, but their corpses still hold enough magic power to be used by other slann generations to empower their spells. The original first generation was powerful enough to even alter the planets orbit, seperate the continents and do other crazy stuff.

It's supposed to be a separate game as big as the original Total War: Warhammer. If you own both games, they'll combine into one giant world map, and all of the factions can be played in multiplayer. You can think of it as a giant-sized expansion as well.

That's fine. Hype level rising!

4Tran

so who's the flying Jabba?

Lizardman king?
It's a Slann, the most powerful spellcasters in the Warhammer universe. They're the direct servants of the Old Ones, the (alien) creatures that used to control the whole world, and they lead the Lizardmen civilization.

rewatched the trailer

noticed how the armies split on the shot from above?

are they gonna let us battle 2 different enemies in the same moment?

Top Bottom