• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touch Arcade vs. NeoGAF

Caerith

Despite his stupid attempt at backpedaling, I don't think he cares. How is such a man guy to be worked on? At the end of the day, the court of public opinion doesn't have a bailiff.

I mean unless instead of just arguing with him on twitter there was some mass letter-writing campaign to everyone who gives him money (advertisers on Touch Arcade, whoever runs EGM if he's still employed there), encouraging them to stop.

I wonder how much all this is actually hurting him. Bad publicity is still publicity.

People say this, and there's some truth to it, but mostly what it comes from is the fact that if you have an unknown product, and your reputation has very little bearing on the quality of said product, bad publicity is guaranteed to get you in front of more eyeballs who can (and, probably, will) buy from you if the rest of your offering is good.

If you have a product that is already successful and heavily reputational in nature, bad publicity can definitely hurt.

In this kind of case, it's pretty unlikely that this issue will directly hurt the site in the short-term, but pretty likely that it will snowball with any other mistakes he might make over the medium term.

Camwi

Wow. Since he thinks he's such a badass and loves all the hate he's getting, the least he could do is admit to what he did and not deny it as "a troll."

Douche.

iUb9DqRwTBfU6.jpg

kratier

Banned
"steals from children's charity"
hey kid, next time don't post blatant misinformation in your title to grab attention

you'll start to sound like a video game journalist

hey kid, next time don't post blatant misinformation in your title to grab attention

The headline is sensationalist, but he did claim he told someone at a Toys R Us he was buying Wiis for a children's hospital. Even if he made that up, he's still an asshole for boasting that.

People say this, and there's some truth to it, but mostly what it comes from is the fact that if you have an unknown product, and your reputation has very little bearing on the quality of said product, bad publicity is guaranteed to get you in front of more eyeballs who can (and, probably, will) buy from you if the rest of your offering is good.

If you have a product that is already successful and heavily reputational in nature, bad publicity can definitely hurt.

In this kind of case, it's pretty unlikely that this issue will directly hurt the site in the short-term, but pretty likely that it will snowball with any other mistakes he might make over the medium term.
I hope that's true. I'd love an internet with more repercussions.

Please show us then.

It's really not that difficult with a camera on a tripod with PS, you just use layer masks. I made a corny one for my girlfriend where it was "3 me's" holding I, <3, and a U just to test it.

I actually thought it was shopped too because of the way they are laid out. It could go both ways, it's easier to have your subject not overlap because of weird shadowing and merging and he could have just spread them out for real for "effect" like you spread out cash or something ... but they also all look placed carefully.

A douche like that would probably just show a picture of them stacked up on top of each other or something.

Who knows though ... even an "archived page" could still have been a shop in the first place.

Oh wow. Oh fucking wow. I wonder when the pedestal this guy is standing on will crumble, because I can't wait to see him begging for redemption.

It's really not that difficult with a camera on a tripod with PS, you just use layer masks. I made a corny one for my girlfriend where it was "3 me's" holding I, <3, and a U just to test it.

I actually thought it was shopped too because of the way they are laid out. It could go both ways, it's easier to have your subject not overlap because of weird shadowing and merging and he could have just spread them out for real for "effect" like you spread out cash or something ... but they also all look placed carefully.

A douche like that would probably just show a picture of them stacked up on top of each other or something.

Who knows though ... even an "archived page" could still have been a shop in the first place.

Fair enough, it sounds easy, yet he describes it as very hard. Which makes me think he said that because he thinks that what people would expect/want to hear.

Fair enough, it sounds easy, yet he describes it as very hard. Which makes me think he said that because he thinks that what people would expect/want to hear.

heh, that's a good point too. I could totally see him doing something like that though just with his attitude. It's funny, somebody already mentioned Paul Christoforo and it was the first person I thought of when starting to read the thread.

Holy shit this has really blown up in this guys face. I mean, he hasn't done anything illegal, but he has really exposed himself to be truly unlikable....

I think it's weird his followers or friends or whoever keep urging him on and propping him up. I just can't imagine one of my friends acting absolutely awful and I keep patting him on the back oblivious to the kind of person he's being. Why would you want to help the downward momentum of someone you presumably like enough to tweet?

Maybe he, and the people he surrounds himself with, are just that terrible, but eventually you'd have to look at yourself and friends and be ashamed, no? Even if he was the kind of person who would lie to profit off people's charitable side, that was 5 years ago and he could easily have just grown out of being that person. He obviously hasn't and appears to revel in it, which is crazy and I don't understand at all.

The game journo/dev friend groups that grow on twitter and other social sites are pretty contemptible.

These are the cats who jump to misuse words like "entitlement" whenever gamers/consumers express anger at the publishers and developers. These types are basically message board warriors/trolls who got into the games industry, and were so desperate for validation that even that small success has inflated their egos, to the point of their feeling superior to people who actually buy games.

The new EGM magazine is filled from top to bottom with these types (excluding the ever funny and reliable Seanbaby). It's no surprise a person like Eli Hoodapp found a home there.

Tokubetsu

The game journo/dev friend groups that grow on twitter and other social sites are pretty contemptible.

These are the cats who jump to misuse words like "entitlement" whenever gamers/consumers express anger at the publishers and developers. These types are basically message board warriors/trolls who got into the games industry, and were so desperate for validation that even that small success has inflated their egos, to the point of their feeling superior to people who actually buy games.

The new EGM magazine is filled from top to bottom with these types (excluding the ever funny and reliable Seanbaby). It's no surprise a person like Eli Hoodapp found a home there.

Pretty much how I feel about 95% of game journalists.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Hey "kid", actually a MOD updated the title, Ignis Fatuus didn't post that.

FStop7

Banned
Isn't Hodapp the guy that carries Bran Stark around?

With the exception of a select few who conspicuously don't shoot their mouths off, game journos are... well, you know.

Orayn

Wow, what a wretched shitstain of a person. Let's bust his e-kneecaps, GAF!

'Sup Eli? How's that whole "being a terrible person" thing going?

Liberty4all

Banned
I'm actually kind of sad about all this. I don't IOS game very much but I have used Touch Arcade as a trusted source from time to time. The Wii stuff is brutal though.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Good job finding that archived page, dude is even worse than I thought. Not sure how he passes it off as trolling, I mean, it seems he got banned over it, and nobody was affected in any way other than thinking he's awful. It's not like he got people to praise shitty attitude or admit they did similar shit, or have fits of rage. He just posted something shitty and got banned. Funny?

railGUN

Banned
IF the post from SA about the Wii's was a troll, it was a fantastic, elaborate one, that took like 5 years to fully play out... Unfortunately for Hodapp, however, the victim of this troll was himself.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

"kid", remember when that was a good zinger of an insult on the Internet?

Can we get a "shouldn't you be in school?", or "parent's basement" next please?

Riggs

Banned
Holy shit this just got real. Reading page 12 and onward now. Screw this guy man, what a piece of shit.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Am I the only one who thinks posting the contact info in the OP is somewhat crossing a line? Even if they're not land lines and home addresses.

Come on guys, reel it back a little. It's becoming a little too vindictive for my taste.

Riggs

Banned

Fucking best post I've read in a while. This is why I do not fuck with any gaming websites anymore. I'll browse RPS that's about it. GB podcast ftw also. But yes, agree 100%.

Am I the only one who thinks posting the contact info in the OP is somewhat crossing a line? Even if they're not land lines and home addresses.

Come on guys, reeling it back a little. It's becoming a little too vindictive for my taste.

Probably. I am tired of these game journalists (know he's not a journalist but he's still running/part of an iOS gaming site) and people in this industry with these slimy self righteous attitudes. The contact info is all public information anyway, OP just put in the thread. I am not going to call him and waste my time, but if someone wants to? Go for it. People like him sicken me. And it makes me even more nauseous that they work in an industry that I am a consumer of.

Come on guys, reel it back a little. It's becoming a little too vindictive for my taste.
I don't think it's justified to care that much about it. And it'd just be a waste of time anyway. If there was a chance of the guy redeeming himself somehow I'd say go for it. But if he faces feedback on a public forum with snide remarks and more douchey behavior, I'm not sure what letting him know what you think through more personal means would accomplish. If anything it'll just make him feel more justified in vilifying his critics.

But I wouldn't feel bad about the guy getting hatemail. He made a site and put all that information on it. Then he's intentionally pissing off the internet. I'm pretty sure he expects it and won't be scarred by it.

Damn. I'm not particularly interested in Republique but now I'm actually thinking about backing them because of this.

Hope they make it.

Lol yeah - for me whole iOS gaming could rot in hell but reading this guy asshole rants makes me want to drop a small donation to Republicue just to inflate number of backers :D

SmokyDave

This whole thing is really weird. It's as if the Republique kickstarter was well received until this guy came along but that's not how I remember it at all.

Still, I've no love for TouchArcade and the guy has exposed himself as something of a cock, so I guess it's game on.

Riggs

Banned
This whole thing is really weird. It's as if the Republique kickstarter was well received until this guy came along but that's not how I remember it at all.

Still, I've no love for TouchArcade and the guy has exposed himself as something of a cock, so I guess it's game on.

Game on indeed!

RackMultipart.24330.0_display_image.jpg

Aselith

People wouldn't mind if he just said, "We're not going to cover Kickstarter games." and stated his reasons or whatever. But the dude is actively shitting on the project and generally being a cock about the whole thing. Like Ryan Peyton says he will fly to his location and show him the project when he says it's vaporware and the dude makes fun of him for that. Like, really?

Don't be a dick and people won't mind if you aren't interested in featuring the game.

M-PG71C

So we have a big damn liar, eh? I just don't see what is so funny about even remotely joking about buying Wiis for the children's hospital when the intention is to sell them for a profit.

A piece of shit is a piece of shit. He'll pay for this.

It's just a screen-cap from his website, so it's already out there. I see what you're saying, but with no respect for the guy, I don't really mind.

Top Bottom