• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden 2, Atelier Firis, Nights of Azure 2 and Samurai Warriors: Sanada Maru comin

That's like the exact opposite of what happened. Toukiden 2 focused on the (western) console audience and it destroyed their domestic sales.

Also I'm not sure how God Eater has done tremendously well on Steam but I'm on mobile and can't check Steamspy right now.

God Eater has sold okay, considering it hasn't been out for long and had no marketing to speak of. It was probably quite cheap to port, so I'm sure NB is making money off of it.

I don't see how you can say it truly focused on a Western/console audience when it hasn't released here, has zero marketing or word-of-mouth outside of Japan and isn't confirmed for key platforms like PC. Nobody is going to argue that releasing a hardcore, console-focused title in Japan is anything but a foolish endeavor. And that's what Koei-Tecmo did, they made a game for the West... and forgot to sell it to the West.

Instead, they should have marketed the game to the West as a new open world ARPG, brought it to PS4 and PC at $40 or $50, and filled a void that the perplexing lack of Monster Hunter games on big platforms has left. It wouldn't sell a million units, being an unfamiliar IP, but neither did Demon's Souls.

ShinMaruku

They ported DOA5 which did okay-ish despite some issues, and Yaiba also got a PC port. Skipped DOAX3 and Hyrule Warriors for obvious reasons though. I'd say a (good) PC port would be smart for Nioh given the market for similar games on the platform like Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma.
Given their history you will never get a good port. Also their last releases did not have a pc port.

Blessing in disguise with how bad every Tecmo port has been.

I bought Toukiden on PC :lol :lol fuck me

They have the worst pc ports all the time, in this case they just did not bother.

Oregano

God Eater has sold okay, considering it hasn't been out for long and had no marketing to speak of. It was probably quite cheap to port, so I'm sure NB is making money off of it.

I don't see how you can say it truly focused on a Western/console audience when it hasn't released here, has zero marketing or word-of-mouth outside of Japan and isn't confirmed for key platforms like PC. Nobody is going to argue that releasing a hardcore, console-focused title in Japan is anything but a foolish endeavor. And that's what Koei-Tecmo did, they made a game for the West... and forgot to sell it to the West.

Instead, they should have marketed the game to the West as a new open world ARPG, brought it to PS4 and PC at $40 or $50, and filled a void that the perplexing lack of Monster Hunter games on big platforms has left. It wouldn't sell a million units, being an unfamiliar IP, but neither did Demon's Souls.

Wut... They're releasing it in the West. They didn't forget anything.

Also that void hasn't helped any other released so far, it's not going to start now.

Wut... They're releasing it in the West. They didn't forget anything.

Also that void hasn't helped any other released so far, it's not going to start now.

In 2017, about 6 months after releasing it in Japan. If the West was their primary target in development, it should have been here day 1.

This is the glaring problem: No Japanese dev is willing to jump in fully and forget about the domestic market when it comes to this genre. God Eater, Toukiden, even Monster Hunter 3U... none of them truly targeted the West. They straddled the line in an attempt to appeal to everyone, offering subpar console/PC experiences to players abroad in order to ensure some level of parity with their domestically-targeted handheld versions.

Again, looking at Demon's Souls: It was a B-tier game in terms of graphics and scope, but with incredible art design and unmatched gameplay. Because From adopted a consistent release schedule of high-quality sequels, and because the games garnered immense critical and community praise, it's audience grew to the point that Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 are true AAA hits in the West, easily enough to sustain From as a company without the need for huge domestic sales.

Had Capcom continued along a similar path with MH3U, releasing each sequel on Western platforms without drops in quality, I guarantee they'd have found the same success. For whatever reason, they neglected to do so, and now another company can swoop in.

But again, the core to this strategy is consistency and quality. When you're dealing with developers that aren't as talented as From or Capcom, of course they're going to fall short of expectations, so a highly talented staff is essential. If Toukiden is a pale shadow of MH, then the whole conversation is moot to begin with.

TreIII

Capcom is way too busy localizing all their other nxt gen g...

oh wait

Pffftttt. But true, indeed...

True. Capcom barely gives money to the series nowadays, so they probably won't spend on localization until a reboot or something.

But if Koei does well, it might light a fire under their ass and focus on the next release coming stateside.

At this point, I don't think there's much else that can be done for BASARA, short of a miracle where Capcom wakes up and either a) stops trying to make it a yearly franchise to compete with Koei's Musou games and/or b) continue to give them peanuts for budget. They can't expect to continue to have BASARA compete with Koei's offerings, without having Koei's ethics in place that gives each team efficient time and funding to make for decent quality releases. Their Sanada game righteously tanked because of this, and only serves to make Koei's game look all the more appealing package (even if it really is looking like a glorified Sengoku Musou 4-III in disguise, but I digress!)

Capcom has all but poisoned the well when it comes to BASARA's chances in the West, even though they were given two chances to make it right with BASARA. And even in Japan, the series is continuously losing ground. The sales of the games plateaued and then decreased for awhile now, and the fanbase has also since started to gravitate to other pastures, like Touken Ranbu.

If the rumors about Onimusha coming back some day are true, then perhaps that may be the reason why Capcom isn't losing sleep over it. No reason for them to break themselves over BASARA's spiraling descent, if they're just going to move on and bring back the "Sengoku Fantasy" series that actually does have more established worldwide appeal. And if so, the contest would stand to be between their established franchise with a legacy and KT's new darling Ni-oh, instead.

Could make for interesting times, if my guesses are proven right.

Soul Sacrifice loudly discarded any young audience with its focus on blood and gore, and Freedom Wars never had a good hook to lure people to it. The closest thing that Sony has had to a Monster Hunter has been God Eater from Bamco, and that ain't no Monster Hunter.
Really? My favorite is Freedom Wars but I feel like Sony has abandoned the game (if they don't mention it at TGS I'll consider it dead) and I have been looking at Toukiden 2 as an alternative but if God Eater 2 is the more popular then I'll consider buying it (I really hate how stupid the GE weapons look).

As a side note, god I hate timed missions on hunting games to the point that it was one of the things that made me hate Monster Hunter the most. I played alone and lost to white Fatalis in MHF2 because of time out when I was about to beat him, Freedom Wars also has timed missions but have never been a problem since they don't take too long to complete for the most part.

MacTag

Banned
Their last releases were DOAX3 and Hyrule Warriors. Both didnt get ports for obvious reasons. Everything else did.
Exactly. DOAX3 didn't get a port because a western release in general was deemed problematic and HW didn't get a port because Nintendo.

DOA5 and Toukiden both did though. Nioh is a product that seems ripe for PC porting and the only I way I see that not happening is if Sony paid for it. I could see Dissidia getting a PC port too.

In 2017, about 6 months after releasing it in Japan. If the West was their primary target in development, it should have been here day 1.

This is the glaring problem: No Japanese dev is willing to jump in fully and forget about the domestic market when it comes to this genre. God Eater, Toukiden, even Monster Hunter 3U... none of them truly targeted the West. They straddled the line in an attempt to appeal to everyone, offering subpar console/PC experiences to players abroad in order to ensure some level of parity with their domestically-targeted handheld versions.

Again, looking at Demon's Souls: It was a B-tier game in terms of graphics and scope, but with incredible art design and unmatched gameplay. Because From adopted a consistent release schedule of high-quality sequels, and because the games garnered immense critical and community praise, it's audience grew to the point that Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 are true AAA hits in the West, easily enough to sustain From as a company without the need for huge domestic sales.

Had Capcom continued along a similar path with MH3U, releasing each sequel on Western platforms without drops in quality, I guarantee they'd have found the same success. For whatever reason, they neglected to do so, and now another company can swoop in.

But again, the core to this strategy is consistency and quality. When you're dealing with developers that aren't as talented as From or Capcom, of course they're going to fall short of expectations, so a highly talented staff is essential. If Toukiden is a pale shadow of MH, then the whole conversation is moot to begin with.
Mainline Monster Hunter is now doing a million+ anyway in the west so platform isn't seemingly an issue holding it back. Not that there isn't opportunity elsewhere too but the clones haven't really proven PC or PS4 would necessarily be more lucrative for hunting games than 3DS already is.

And the argument about focus goes both ways. If these companies were really focusing primairily on the domestic market then Toukiden, God Eater and Phantasy Star logically should've transitioned to 3DS along with Monster Hunter. And now even after it looks like Vita's days are numbered they're pushing harder to move their domestic audiences to PS4/Steam while growing in the west and generally it seems like they're failing in that process. I'm not sure this is really the sign of companies who are giving priority to Japan, if they were why bother with PS4/PC at all and continue to ignore Nintendo? Toukiden 2 as a product is an almost perfect encapsulation of this.

Oregano

1) Koei Tecmo is a small publisher. Simultaneous releases would be a significant investment for them.

2) Monster Hunter sells more than From Soft's games worldwide.

3) If they can't ever get Monster Hunter's success why do you assume they could get Souls'?

4) Disregarding your existing audience in the hope another one suddenly takes an interest in your product is a terrible idea.

ViciousDS

Banned
Touki 2 for sure

Samurai Warriors: Sanada Maru (working title)
KOEI TECMO America and developer Omega Force are proud to announce the upcoming western release of a ‘one versus thousands’ tactical action title focused on a fan-favorite character from the Samurai Warriors franchise: Yukimura Sanada. In this character-driven epic, players will get a unique look into the Sanada clan’s inner workings before and during the 16th century conflict that drove two brothers to join opposite sides of a grand scale civil war. This yet-to-be-named title will be released in the west in 2017 and is available for hands-on play on PlayStation®4 during Tokyo Games Show.

well.........you fucking have me here......I wonder how much this is going to cover. It would be awesome if Koei did individual long driven stories of wu, shu, or wei for china as well. Would love to see a really drawn out 3 kingdoms game in the form of an open world DW or something.

Pejo

Gold Member
I'm really happy Toukiden is coming west, I wasn't sure if it would. Now I just hope that there is a PC port and it's not as fucking terrible as the last one. The first one was a really great game, it deserves better than that.

Nioh is day 1, after my time in the Beta. Berserk is day 1.

The others I will probably pick up, depending on release date and how much other stuff I'm buying.

This is a pretty damn good lineup of Japanese games though.

Moskalova

Announcement Trailer

pymPCAu.jpg

Slated to release in Spring 2017 on PS4 and PS Vita, the 18th entry to GUST’s popular Atelier franchise takes place after the events of 2016’s Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book, expanding on the series’ delightful narrative.

The second entry in the ‘Mysterious’ saga follows the adventures of the enthusiastic Firis Mistlud and her loving older sister Liane Mistlud. The Mistlud sisters have lived their entire lives in the isolated town of Ertona, where Firis uses her unique ability to see where crystals of materials are buried. By way of a fateful encounter, Firis learns of the Alchemy Exam and decides to take her first step into the outside world, setting off on a grand journey to become a certified alchemist and discover the mysteries that life has to offer! Players will experience a vast world with towns, environments and other locations reaching up to ten times the size of those featured in Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book.

Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey takes the long-running franchise to greater heights with a brand-new option to choose which narrative path to follow. After passing the exam, players are able to follow three different paths that focus on the three key aspects of the Atelier series – Alchemy, Combat and Character relationships. Choice plays a major role in the events that can be experienced throughout the game, with the ability to switch between the three paths at any point during this grand adventure.

CamHostage

I hope they won't skip Vita for any of those. They seem to be doing so lately, starting with that Nobunaga's Ambition game.

I know this is an old post, but Nobunaga seems like it actually was an anomaly (for now) for Koei Tecmo in dropping the Vita version where it exists in Japan. Berserk, AoT, Samurai Warriors Godseekers, and today Atelier Firis have all been confirmed for English-language Vita releases. So at least one more year of Vita dialysis...

Top Bottom