• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toys R Us - Buy 2 Get 1 free game sale (October 11th-17th)

Raw64life

Excellent. Haven't bought a game since June in anticipation of this. Definitely getting Batman and Demon's Souls. Have a bunch of other games that could be the third game. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 and Brutal Legend come to mind but there are others.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
People hoping to exchange 1 or more games for something else should ask for a separate gift receipt for each game. I've never had a problem when I did things this way and I've done it several times at multiple TRUs in the past 5 or so years this sale has been held.

kamspy

Dayum.

U2
Brütal Legend
NBA Live 10

I would say that I'll keep one to return, but the odds of me not opening any of those are impossible.
they'll all be open within an hour of getting home

Damnit, I was trying to save money and not pile on the backlog. There's a lot of stuff I want to buy X_X Aaaack, here we go again @_@

LQX

With Amazon pricing there games below retail and ECA I dont think I will be running to the store or staying up late this year. I am averaging paying $45-48 for new releases on Amazon.

This is 2 weeks earlier than expected but muchhhhh preferred (it's usually the last week of October. I wasn't looking forward to waiting on Uncharted or Brutal Legend. This is such awesome news.

Zachack

Baron Aloha said:
People hoping to exchange 1 or more games for something else should ask for a separate gift receipt for each game. I've never had a problem when I did things this way and I've done it several times at multiple TRUs in the past 5 or so years this sale has been held.
While this is true, each year TRU seems to have sealed off one exploit or another, so this might be the year where they clamp down on placeholders.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Might use this to get A Boy and His Blob, Muramasa or Batman, and Scribblenauts.

AniHawk

People who have the money, do this deal and don't get A Boy and his Blob: there is no excuse. They are just horrible human beings.

awesome but unfortunate at the same time....wish it was 1 more week later

Anyways....

my pickup should be

Uncharted 2
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
and.....
(it would be Demon's Souls if i didn't already have it)

GQman2121 said:

shhh....don't spread that..

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hmm...

Dead Space Extraction
A Boy and His Blob
???

or some combination of:

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Klonoa
Mirror's Edge
House of the Dead: Overkill

Ardorx

Banned
AniHawk said:
A Boy and His Blob.

Or maybe Saw: The Game.

Has to be a PS3 game and I'd NEVER buy a game based on SAW.

I'd also get warhawk but I'm afraid nobody plays that.

PS3 has a lot of good games, Q1 is going to be hell AND(!) I still have to budget for MW2, Borderlands, GOW:Collection, and Demons Souls.

bumpkin

NNNNOOOOOOO! Why does the sale have to happen when I'll probably have barely enough spare cash to buy two games and nothing more; meanwhile there are a bunch that I'd love to snag. I spent a ridiculous amount of money the last time they had the sale.

...and no, there is no correlation between my current brokenness and the last TRU sale. :lol

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Jive Turkey said:
Both of these can be found at Fry's for ~$10 if you have one nearby.
Really? I do in fact, so I'll check that out. Thanks.

SnakeEyez

I LOVE THESE!! I did this 2 years ago and made a KILLING, tried it last year but they didn't have none of the games I wanted (the only downside of this is that TRU sometimes doesnt have the game you want). This year ima get Demon's souls, placeholder for Ratchet and Clank, and NBA 2k10 as the free one. Also, Uncharted 2, placeholder for COD:MW2 and NGS2 for free. :D :D :D

This is perfect. I can pick up Dead space: Extraction, Batman, and Fallout 3 with this. Now amazon can do the rest of the work with with the 10% off so that I can get Cursed Mountain, A boy and his blob, silent hill, and RE: DC.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
GQman2121 said:
Does anyone know if TRU offers comparable trade-in value to GS? I know they just started a trade-in program, but I haven't heard of anyone trying it yet.
It's far, far better. Brand new games trade in for almost 2/3 of their retail prices (Batman was trading for $40 a week or so ago). I traded in a stack of crap I'll never play for like $95 in credit.

Link Man said:
Nice, that's the week the new Wii Sports Resort bundle comes out.

Hope I have money by then...
Nice . . . I think you found my third game!

That one should be put in the OP . . . it is $59.99, so it matches up with PS360 games.

Baron Aloha said:

The problem with this is now when they enter the gift receipt into the register, the whole transaction comes up and they can see it's a b2g1 free. That happened to me last year even though I said it was a gift. They wouldn't let me exchange it.

I don't get all of the ABAHB comments. The game is on the pre-order list on amazon for $35. It would be better to use this deal for more expensive $50-60 titles. Cursed Mountain, and ABAHB are going to be $30 dollars in a week anyway.

JosM88 said:
I don't get all of the ABAHB comments. The game is on the pre-order list on amazon for $35. It would be better to use this deal for more expensive $50-60 titles. Cursed Mountain, and ABAHB are all going to be $30 dollars in a week anyway.

Honestly. I'm buying games that won't be cheaper than $60 anytime soon: Uncharted 2 (U1 took 2 years to be a Greatest Hit), Demon's Souls (Atlus games tend to hold their value for quite some time), and MW2 (lol Activision).

It's the smartest way to go about this sale, IMHO.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I wish I could afford two games! =(

Dan said:
Hmm...

Dead Space Extraction
A Boy and His Blob
???

or some combination of:

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Klonoa
Mirror's Edge
House of the Dead: Overkill

Get House of the Dead! So good!

How to properly buy Placeholder games
I cannot guarantee this will work at all Toys R Us stores, some management might be against the idea, use at your own risk.

If a game you really want is coming out after the sale ends, but you don't want to risk missing out on something on the shelves right now, the step by step here is what you do. Remember, the return policy is set at 45 days from purchase.

1. Pick the two games that you want.

2. Pick up a game that has the same price point as the game coming out, and the same price point as the two games you picked up. Example, if the game you want is $60, buy three $60 games during the week.

3. Make sure that every third game rung up, the free one, is NOT the placeholder game, but one you want to keep. DO NOT LOSE THE RECEIPT!

4. When the game you want comes in, bring the receipt and the placeholder game to the customer service desk, and tell them that you want to exchange the game for something else. Make sure you make specific that you want to keep the one or two games, and that you want one or two different games instead. MAKE SURE THE GAME YOU WANT TO RETURN IS NOT OPENED.

5. If everything is in order, the exchange will be finished and enjoy your new game!"

Just a little clarification on this for my mashed potato brains.

So I want to go pick up Uncharted 2 and Demons Souls but I want to wait to get MW2. The proper way to do that based on the instructions would be to:

Ring up my placeholder game first: Brutal Legend, then ring up Uncharted 2 and get Demon Souls for free.

Keep my receipt. When MW2 comes out I take a unopened Brutal Legend back to Toys R Us with receipt and trade it for MW2.

Correct?

Dreweyes

Demon's Souls
Brutal Legend/Afrika
Uncharted 2

Does anyone think Way of the Samurai 3 will be good? Love the first 2...
I'll rent Where the Wild Things Are...

You guys should also keep in mind Amazon. For example, you could get Rock Band Beatles, Uncharted 2 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 for about $130 where as a comparable deal at TRU after tax nets you about $132 depending on what your tax rate is, plus you get the benefit of getting Modern Warfare 2.

Amazon = Lower price + 10% ECA + $10 Amazon Credit + No Tax + Free Shipping
TRU = $40 + tax

Just food for thought before some try to stretch additional games into a set of three which I used to do every year and ended up with something I could probably have done without.

Baron Aloha said:

Brilliant I am all over that

BruceLeeRoy said:
Just a little clarification on this for my mashed potato brains.

So I want to go pick up Uncharted 2 and Demons Souls but I want to wait to get MW2. The proper way to do that based on the instructions would be to:

Ring up my placeholder game first: Brutal Legend, then ring up Uncharted 2 and get Demon Souls for free.

Keep my receipt. When MW2 comes out I take a unopened Brutal Legend back to Toys R Us with receipt and trade it for MW2.

Correct?

YES. Make sure that the game that rings up as free is a game you actually want to keep, as you'll only be able to return one of the 2 games you've paid for.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
YES. Make sure that the game that rings up as free is a game you actually want to keep, as you'll only be able to return one of the 2 games you've paid for.

Great. Thanks for the clarification.

DarkWish

I worked at TRU over the summer and you shouldn't have problems exchanging the game as long as it's within a certain time period (a month maybe? I can't remember). Getting separate receipts (like gift receipts) would probably make things even easier.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Honestly. I'm buying games that won't be cheaper than $60 anytime soon: Uncharted 2 (U1 took 2 years to be a Greatest Hit), Demon's Souls (Atlus games tend to hold their value for quite some time), and MW2 (lol Activision).

It's the smartest way to go about this sale, IMHO.

This is exactly right. There is no reason to pick up $30 games when the holiday is full of $60 titles to save on. I could easily get 5 Wii games for the backlog under $70 if I checked amazon right now.

Also, I suppose the tax law is still in effect in NYC. This really hurts my savings with the ECA 10% off.

:/

SnakeEyez

DarkWish said:
I worked at TRU over the summer and you shouldn't have problems exchanging the game as long as it's within a certain time period (a month maybe? I can't remember). Getting separate receipts (like gift receipts) would probably make things even easier.

how do you go about getting a gift receipt? Is it as easy as saying "Hey, this is a gift so can you ring it up with a gift receipt?" Also, what about that guy that said that asking for a gift receipt made things harder?

DarkWish

SnakeEyez said:
how do you go about getting a gift receipt? Is it as easy as saying "Hey, this is a gift so can you ring it up with a gift receipt?" Also, what about that guy that said that asking for a gift receipt made things harder?
Yea, you just ask for a gift receipt for each item separately. I don't know why that person said that. But if you get gift receipts for each item separately (it's very easy for the cashier to do), then when you bring in the game you want to exchange (make sure it's not the free one), then it'll make things easier. And hey, if worst comes to worst, you should still have the regular receipt too.

Bizzyb

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
You guys should also keep in mind Amazon. For example, you could get Rock Band Beatles, Uncharted 2 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 for about $130 where as a comparable deal at TRU after tax nets you about $132 depending on what your tax rate is, plus you get the benefit of getting Modern Warfare 2.

Amazon = Lower price + 10% ECA + $10 Amazon Credit + No Tax + Free Shipping
TRU = $40 + tax

Just food for thought before some try to stretch additional games into a set of three which I used to do every year and ended up with something I could probably have done without.

What?? What are you trying to say here? A Buy 2 get 1 free is almost ALWAYS a better deal. Especially if you can buy directly from brick and mortar and not have to buy online, i.e. shipping costs. Or do you just mean in that particular case with those particular games?

SnakeEyez

DarkWish said:
Yea, you just ask for a gift receipt for each item separately. I don't know why that person said that. But if you get gift receipts for each item separately (it's very easy for the cashier to do), then when you bring in the game you want to exchange (make sure it's not the free one), then it'll make things easier. And hey, if worst comes to worst, you should still have the regular receipt too.

Balling!
zeoball.gif

Thanks, the time I did this 2 years ago, I did it with a sales receipt and I thought I was gonna get some weird looks because I read that some stores didn't go for it, but it was all good. Gift receipts will make it easier for me. Now, if only TRU carried all the good games that releases so I won't get the shaft like I did last year.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Aww damn just before R+C... is there any way to trade in or return one of the games? I definitely plan on buying Madden 10 and UC2... was hoping to get R+C free.

msdstc said:
Aww damn just before R+C... is there any way to trade in or return one of the games? I definitely plan on buying Madden 10 and UC2... was hoping to get R+C free.

Yeah, you can buy one of the games as a "placeholder" and later go in and exchange it for the game you want. This is pretty YMMV though, as store policy can change depending on the manager. They may require you to return all three unopened games if you want to exchange just one game you bought with the promotion.

Top Bottom