• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toys R Us - Buy 2 Get 1 free game sale (October 11th-17th)

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
SnakeEyez said:
how do you go about getting a gift receipt? Is it as easy as saying "Hey, this is a gift so can you ring it up with a gift receipt?" Also, what about that guy that said that asking for a gift receipt made things harder?
That's all there is to it. "I'd like a gift receipt for that game."

As for your second question Toys R Us is extremely YMMV when it comes to things like this. Some people may have no trouble returning things with or without a gift receipt while other (like myself) won't be able to do it because their local stores have closed the loopholes. Just be smart about it. Two years ago I heard a guy ask the manager "Hey can I buy this game now and trade it in for a better game later?"...And now I can't do the placeholder trick. :(

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Pai Pai Master said:
Yeah, you can buy one of the games as a "placeholder" and later go in and exchange it for the game you want. This is pretty YMMV though, as store policy can change depending on the manager. They may require you to return all three unopened games if you want to exchange just one game you bought with the promotion.

I'll give it a shot... The thing is I was going to buy Uncharted 2, a new controller, and either Madden or MLB the day I went to get UC2 so it works out either way. I'll just get those three and if I can exchange one then great. If not I was planning to spend 180 to get three, I'm getting four instead for 180.

Bizzyb said:
What?? What are you trying to say here? A Buy 2 get 1 free is almost ALWAYS a better deal. Especially if you can buy directly from brick and mortar and not have to buy online, i.e. shipping costs. Or do you just mean in that particular case with those particular games?

I'm saying keep in mind that you're getting the discount off the full price of the game and that you have to pay tax on top of that which ranges anywhere from another 5 to 10% on top of the cost unless you're fortunate to live in a state with no sales tax.

Your net savings really is about $16 per game. Amazon already discounts a lot of their stuff anywhere from $3 to $10 off the retail price. Amazon also has a lot of games that give you a $10 game credit on your next game purchase. Amazon has a deal with the ECA that gets you 10% off your game purchases. Amazon has no tax in most states. Amazon has free shipping on orders over $25 or free 2 day or release date delivery if you have Prime.

I'm just saying that be mindful that Amazon could be netting you better deals and less hassle in some cases because you don't have to worry about everything that is out since this applies to upcoming games too. Because of Amazon I have no use for the TRU sale this year and have been able to net the following:

Halo ODST - $45
Rock Band Beatles - $38
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 - $24
Uncharted 2 - $41
Call of Duty Modern Warfare - $41
Assassin's Creed 2 - $41
New Super Mario Bros - $35

Kingpen

probably was not going to bite on this, but Tekken / Forza 3 coming out in Oct a few weeks after this sale seriously tempt me. I'm almost thinking of treating myself and doing it twice with placeholders so I can get modern warefare 2/ left 4 dead 2 in Nov.

I could use ODST as one free game, but not sure what my other would be Maybe Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 I guess....

SnakeEyez

Jive Turkey said:
That's all there is to it. "I'd like a gift receipt for that game."

As for your second question Toys R Us is extremely YMMV when it comes to things like this. Some people may have no trouble returning things with or without a gift receipt while other (like myself) won't be able to do it because their local stores have closed the loopholes. Just be smart about it. Two years ago I heard a guy ask the manager "Hey can I buy this game now and trade it in for a better game later?"...And now I can't do the placeholder trick. :(

damn, that sucks. I did the placeholder trick two years ago (wouldve done it last year but they didnt have the games I wanted) so hopefully my store still does it (Times Square in NYC, if anybody wants to know). Can't you bring it to another TRU and exchange the game there or is it only that store.

SnakeEyez said:
damn, that sucks. I did the placeholder trick two years ago (wouldve done it last year but they didnt have the games I wanted) so hopefully my store still does it (Times Square in NYC, if anybody wants to know). Can't you bring it to another TRU and exchange the game there or is it only that store.

You can take it to any store so if you fail at one, try another one. It really is a store by store case when it comes to who will let you and who won't. Just be aware of that when you're doing placeholders and try to either keep your free game unopened till you have succeeded so that you can return all three if needed or pick a placeholder that you don't mind being stuck with. Once you open the free game, you may be stuck with the others.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
SnakeEyez said:

That's what I'll do if it doesn't work... I'll at least try, but either way it's a free game so w/e.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Andrex said:
Might use this to get A Boy and His Blob, Muramasa or Batman, and Scribblenauts.

best taste ever.

i'm getting:

- BOY AND HIS BLOB
- BATMAN
- an ACE ATTORNEY game (this one's for you, fuu)

daycru

If worst comes to worst on the exchange front, you've got $40 or so coming your way from the buy/sell/trade thread.

beelzebozo said:
best taste ever.

i'm getting:

- BOY AND HIS BLOB
- BATMAN
- an ACE ATTORNEY game (this one's for you, fuu)

Hate to single you out but this is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Buying those games this is the price difference:

Amazon - $100.30
Toys R Us - $109.23 (depending on your tax rate)

On top of that you can order that now and not have to wait.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
daycru said:
If worst comes to worst on the exchange front, you've got $40 or so coming your way from the buy/sell/trade thread.
True. Buy an AAA game you already own for your placeholder and you could at least get a decent chunk of cash back for it if things don't work out.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Hate to single you out but this is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Buying those games this is the price difference:

Amazon - $100.30
Toys R Us - $109.23 (depending on your tax rate)

On top of that you can order that now and not have to wait.
Do you work for Amazon? Good lord. :/

NIGHT-

Marty Chinn said:
I'm saying keep in mind that you're getting the discount off the full price of the game and that you have to pay tax on top of that which ranges anywhere from another 5 to 10% on top of the cost unless you're fortunate to live in a state with no sales tax.

Your net savings really is about $16 per game. Amazon already discounts a lot of their stuff anywhere from $3 to $10 off the retail price. Amazon also has a lot of games that give you a $10 game credit on your next game purchase. Amazon has a deal with the ECA that gets you 10% off your game purchases. Amazon has no tax in most states. Amazon has free shipping on orders over $25 or free 2 day or release date delivery if you have Prime.

I'm just saying that be mindful that Amazon could be netting you better deals and less hassle in some cases because you don't have to worry about everything that is out since this applies to upcoming games too. Because of Amazon I have no use for the TRU sale this year and have been able to net the following:

Halo ODST - $45
Rock Band Beatles - $38
Uncharted 2 - $41
Assassin's Creed 2 - $41

And it only gets better if you have Amazon prime :D

DMeisterJ said:

No, just someone who realizes that the TRU yearly deal isn't always that great when you break it down. It's not really a free game but a $16 discount per game. It doesn't sound so good when you think it's only $16 off per game and you have to buy three games. A lot of people wait for this to help save money so I'm simply trying to help those people trying to get the best deal and pointing out there are better options now and ways to get upcoming games where you don't have to do all this hoop jumping for place holders that may or may not work. But hey if you want to spend more money than needed, that's your right.

Firestorm

Your point about Amazon making this deal not as good is ironic because this is the first year I'd kind of like the TRU deal here. Every year before it didn't seem too worth it in Canada because of Rogers Video's 2 for $40 deal, but now they've stopped that :(

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm actually in a BREWSTER'S MILLIONS situation in which i have to spend 10 million dollars in two weeks, and your selfish price maven attitude has set me back even further. thanks a lot.

Zachack

DMeisterJ said:
I'm not clear on what the ECA is (I saw the website but am hesitant to fork over cash, although the GOG savings alone would be worth it), but if you look at a lot of games coming out you get $5-10 credit for preordering. Even without the ECA thing, Brutal Legend is $57 shipped, plus you get the $10 credit thing. So if you keep rolling the preorders +bonus from there on it's $47 shipped, which is only a few bucks more than B&M (depending on state). If the ECA thing is legit then it's certainly a better deal ($57-5.7-10) once tax and gas/time are factored in; the only you lose on is having to wait for delivery.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
oh, i didn't do the ECA thing. i tried to, but then i got to the part where they wanted my credit card number, and it was in my car, and it all started feeling like borders trying to give me a free issue of entertainment weekly so they could later charge my card for a subscription to it, and then my dog needed to go for a walk, and yeah, it seemed like more trouble than it's worth.

Zachack said:
I'm not clear on what the ECA is (I saw the website but am hesitant to fork over cash, although the GOG savings alone would be worth it), but if you look at a lot of games coming out you get $5-10 credit for preordering. Even without the ECA thing, Brutal Legend is $57 shipped, plus you get the $10 credit thing. So if you keep rolling the preorders +bonus from there on it's $47 shipped, which is only a few bucks more than B&M (depending on state). If the ECA thing is legit then it's certainly a better deal ($57-5.7-10) once tax and gas/time are factored in; the only you lose on is having to wait for delivery.

ECA is a yearly membership but you can get it for free if you use this code GIMAG. You get all sorts of discounts with it but the key one is 10% off all your game purchases for a year from Amazon. It's definitely legit and has been used for a long time on CAG.

Zachack

Marty Chinn said:
No, just someone who realizes that the TRU yearly deal isn't always that great when you break it down. It's not really a free game but a $16 discount per game. It doesn't sound so good when you think it's only $16 off per game and you have to buy three games. A lot of people wait for this to help save money so I'm simply trying to help those people trying to get the best deal and pointing out there are better options now and ways to get upcoming games where you don't have to do all this hoop jumping for place holders that may or may not work. But hey if you want to spend more money than needed, that's your right.
Where TRU succeeds are on games that are already out (and possibly not $60; I've picked up 3 discounted games at $40 each, so you get that savings). Most of the Amazon savings are contingent upon preordering (and future purchases since you don't get the credit until it ships).

Demon's Souls is probably the best "target" game in this deal since I'm not seeing it cheap on Amazon and it's unlikely to drop in price rapidly. Uncharted 2 only has a $5 credit. And there may be something I'm missing (Amazon is selling ODST new for $50 so the benefit is reduced right there).

Zachack

Marty Chinn said:
ECA is a yearly membership but you can get it for free if you use this code GIMAG. You get all sorts of discounts with it but the key one is 10% off all your game purchases for a year from Amazon. It's definitely legit and has been used for a long time on CAG.
Ok, thanks. Have you tried the GoG discount? I just joined and almost bought ~$100+ in stuff a couple days ago but closed firefox (clearing the cart) and haven't gotten around to it since.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
beelzebozo said:
i'm actually in a BREWSTER'S MILLIONS situation in which i have to spend 10 million dollars in two weeks, and your selfish price maven attitude has set me back even further. thanks a lot.
You could always donate a couple million to the Help Jive Turkey Be A Rich Asshole Charity Fund.

Zachack said:
Where TRU succeeds are on games that are already out (and possibly not $60; I've picked up 3 discounted games at $40 each, so you get that savings). Most of the Amazon savings are contingent upon preordering (and future purchases since you don't get the credit until it ships).

Demon's Souls is probably the best "target" game in this deal since I'm not seeing it cheap on Amazon and it's unlikely to drop in price rapidly. Uncharted 2 only has a $5 credit. And there may be something I'm missing (Amazon is selling ODST new for $50 so the benefit is reduced right there).

Oh most certainly a case by case basis. There will be some deals that TRU works better in, but when thinking in general of the fact that most games tend to be MSRP at TRU but discounted on Amazon, and you pay tax on TRU but for most states not on Amazon, the margin begins to narrow. Add in the ECA, which is free using that code, and it can start to move in favor of Amazon. That one example where it was like $100 vs $109 was simply Amazon's price + ECA discount and no need for the additional credit. All I was trying to do is point out you might want to double check to see if that deal really is a deal. The nice benefit of Amazon is they have pretty much everything in stock where as TRU they may be missing that one game you want just to make a set of three.

When they had the DS deal, I went to four stores before I found a set of three that worked for me. After I got home, I checked on Amazon and realized I didn't really save much at all and it was a much bigger hassle. Since then I've decided to check before I waste my time. In fact I was saving Halo ODST, Rock Band Beatles and Uncharted for the TRU deal until I realized if I did all that, it ended up being cheaper and I wouldn't have to worry when TRU would have Uncharted in stock or worry about it selling out before I got there which is often the case with releases happening the week of the sale that are high profile.

Bizzyb

Banned
Marty Chinn said:

Halo ODST - $45
Rock Band Beatles - $38
Uncharted 2 - $41
Assassin's Creed 2 - $41

Ok, How's this

I plan on Getting Muramasa, A Boy and His Blob and KH 358/2 Days

That's like $94.50 including tax for the entire deal (KH would be the cheapest, i.e. free game)

How can an Amazon deal be better than this?

Zachack said:
Ok, thanks. Have you tried the GoG discount? I just joined and almost bought ~$100+ in stuff a couple days ago but closed firefox (clearing the cart) and haven't gotten around to it since.

I haven't yet. The only thing I've tried is the Amazon discount which has worked great recently.

Bizzyb said:
Ok, How's this

I plan on Getting Muramasa, A Boy and His Blob and KH 358/2 Days

That's like $94.50 including tax for the entire deal (KH would be the cheapest, i.e. free game)

How can an Amazon deal be better than this?

It's not in that case. It used to be when Kingdom Hearts offered an additional $10 credit 2 days ago, cuz then it would have been $86, but right now it's $96. So it's $1.50 more.

It most certainly is a case by case basis, but also keep in mind, Amazon has it now, so you don't have to wait, nor do you have to find a store that has all three games in stock which might not be so easy since sometimes one store will have two of them and another store will have a different set of two of them but neither have all three at once.

I'm not saying Amazon is always cheaper, just you may want to check before you go.

Bizzyb

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
It's not in that case. It used to be when Kingdom Hearts offered an additional $10 credit 2 days ago, cuz then it would have been $86, but right now it's $96. So it's $1.50 more.

It most certainly is a case by case basis, but also keep in mind, Amazon has it now, so you don't have to wait, nor do you have to find a store that has all three games in stock which might not be so easy since sometimes one store will have two of them and another store will have a different set of two of them but neither have all three at once.

I'm not saying Amazon is always cheaper, just you may want to check before you go.

Keep in mind, I don't have ECA or Amazon Prime so all of these "crazy savings" don't exactly apply to me or someone in my situation

Bizzyb said:
Keep in mind, I don't have ECA or Amazon Prime so all of these "crazy savings" don't exactly apply to me or someone in my situation

ECA is free to sign up with the coupon code GIMAG so I don't see that as being a barrier. Even without Prime, it would have been $86 two days ago and it's $96 now. Amazon offers free shipping on orders over $25 for everyone not just prime users.

So the $86 two days ago and $96 now still applies.

Also be sure to use this code on Kingdom Hearts, KINGDOM5

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The point Marty is trying to make is that the impact of the yearly TRU deal is lessen this year because of the discounts Amazon has (if you have access to ECA, Prime and any other credits that come along, and if you live in a tax free area)

And I have to agree, there's a lot of opportunities on Amazon to knock a $60 new game down to the $45 range. If you can get new games close to the $40 price, it basically makes the TRU B2G1 sale not so appealing.

Just make sure you look around first before jumping in this deal. If you can get whatever games you want for $40, it pretty much cancels this deal.

mr stroke

Marty Chinn said:
Amazon

Halo ODST - $45
Rock Band Beatles - $38
Uncharted 2 - $41
Assassin's Creed 2 - $41

+1
I am generally all over this TRU deal every year, but with Amazon(no tax) and the ECA discount its not that huge of a deal.

Zachack

Bizzyb said:
Is your time worthless and are you using a magic teleporter to arrive at TRU?

Bizzyb

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
ECA is free to sign up with the coupon code GIMAG so I don't see that as being a barrier. Even without Prime, it would have been $86 two days ago and it's $96 now. Amazon offers free shipping on orders over $25 for everyone not just prime users.

So the $86 two days ago and $96 now still applies.

Also be sure to use this code on Kingdom Hearts, KINGDOM5

So wait, let me get this straight. I can get a free membership for 1 year but after that I will be billed, correct?

Bizzyb said:
So wait, let me get this straight. I can get a free membership for 1 year but after that I will be billed, correct?

I don't believe they make you put a CC# in so your membership will just end unless you renew after a year.

Bizzyb

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
I don't believe they make you put a CC# in so your membership will just end unless you renew after a year.

Ha. Ha. Ha.....Ya know, a simple yes would have sufficed.

edit: Ok, I signed up. I hope it's worth it.

stupei

I'm trying to do the math. I want Muramasa, Dead Space: Extraction, and A Boy and His Blob. I live in New York (meaning I pay taxes through Amazon anyway) and I work close to the TRU in Time Square. So I'm not losing any time heading over there, get the games right away without shipping.

No benefit for me personally to use amazon that I can see, unless I'm missing something.

stupei said:
I'm trying to do the math. I want Muramasa, Dead Space: Extraction, and A Boy and His Blob. I live in New York (meaning I pay taxes through Amazon anyway) and I work close to the TRU in Time Square. So I'm not losing any time heading over there, get the games right away without shipping.

No benefit for me personally to use amazon that I can see, unless I'm missing something.

Ya, sorry to hear about the tax. That will likely negate a chunk of the savings right there. So ya, you're probably better off at TRU unless you factor in the $10 credits but that's specific games which aren't ones that you've selected anyway so yep TRU is better off for you.

What it really breaks down is you save 10% from ECA, 5 to 10% from tax, another 5 to 10% from Amazon's listed prices and that can be like 20 to 30% in price difference there. Add in another $10 off from bonus credit and that's another 16% which nets you up to 46% off when the sale is giving you 33% off. So taking tax out of it really starts to limit your savings.

Bizzyb

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Well billed implies you owe money. Ending is just it ends so a yes wouldn't have sufficed =)

Uh huh...:D quick question though. Can I order like two or more games at once and use it or can I only use it once per game/order. So like do I have to place two or more different orders or can I put all three games in the same order and then use it?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Living in a state where Amazon charges tax is the suck, and why I don't order from Amazon often. I also hate waiting for stuff to come in the mail, I'm impatient.

Bizzyb said:
Uh huh...:D quick question though. Can I order like two or more games at once and use it or can I only use it once per game/order. So like do I have to place two or more different orders or can I put all three games in the same order and then use it?

They've actually changed it recently cuz of some abuse. It used to be you could generate codes as often as you needed but now you can generate one per 24 hour period. The code will apply to your entire order. The thing is you can generate codes and hold on to them for later usage from what I understand. I haven't had a need to stock pile them but it sounds like people do hold on to a few spares just in case. So ya, go ahead and put everything in one order and you should be fine.

Top Bottom