• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toys R Us - Buy 2 Get 1 free game sale (October 11th-17th)

Marty Chinn said:
Amazon:

Total Cost - $92.58

Toys R Us:

Total Cost for two games - $87.39

So cheaper at Toys R Us, but you're forced to get a third game. $5 worth the extra effort of figuring out a third game, driving out there hoping that all three games are there and so forth. Cheaper yes, but not by much. Plus if you put a little more effort into it, you can knock about $6 off the Amazon order making it cheaper but that actually takes a bit more effort to do. Plus, Uncharted gives you $5 credit towards your next purchase. Definitely cheaper at TRU, but just some food for thought.

I've got Amazon Prime and not the ECA 10% discount I'm assuming you're factoring in. I missed out on that deal. I do have $24 of credit at Amazon, but I'd rather get Uncharted 2 on release date.

Phaethon0017 said:
I've got Amazon Prime and not the ECA 10% discount I'm assuming you're factoring in. I missed out on that deal. I do have $24 of credit at Amazon, but I'd rather get Uncharted 2 on release date.

ECA is free if you use the coupon code GIMAG. Amazon also offers free release date delivery for Prime members. So you'd be perfectly fine getting it from Amazon.

Barrett2

SnakeEyez said:
So I just came from the thread from CAG and they were talking about how some people try to swindle the system, buy 2 games, get one free and return the 2 games for refunds therefore getting a free game for free. Do people really do/get away with that? That's just....low.

I couldn't imagine that actually working. Seems like even the most basic point of sale computer would be able to prevent that kind of thing.

Qwell

Hmmm... this is a great deal but I wish it was a week later, I really want U2, R&C, and Borderlands.... I wonder if I should try and press my luck and get U2, Halo ODST, and Batman with Halo and Batman possible placeholders? .... so if it doesn't work out I still have some good games.

Qwell said:
Hmmm... this is a great deal but I wish it was a week later, I really want U2, R&C, and Borderlands.... I wonder if I should try and press my luck and get U2, Halo ODST, and Batman with Halo and Batman possible placeholders? .... so if it doesn't work out I still have some good games.

or you could leave Batman and Halo for people who actually want them, and choose other less popular games as filler. I'm worried Halo will be gone by the time Uncharted hits shelves, and I don't want to be bothered with a filler item for like 2 days

daycru

I hope TRU gets Uncharted 2 and Brutal Legend in advance and has them chilling in the back waiting for the release date. Wanna go first thing that morning to beat the rush.

OK, I'm getting

Uncharted 2
Wii Resort Sports with 2 Motion+
Fallout 3: GOTY edition.

Amazon is great but with these titles, the B2G1F still beats them.
Marty Chinn said:
Here's what I did.

Halo ODST - $49.49 - 10% ($4.95) + No Tax + Free Shipping = $44.54
Rock Band Beatles - $53.99 - 10%(5.40) - $10 credit from ODST + No Tax + Free Shipping = $38.59
Uncharted 2 = $56.99 - 10%(5.70) - $10 credit from RB Beatles + No Tax + Free Shipping = $41.29
This won't work now since RB Beatles & ODST don't have the $10 credit any more.

daycru said:
I hope TRU gets Uncharted 2 and Brutal Legend in advance and has them chilling in the back waiting for the release date. Wanna go first thing that morning to beat the rush.
Yeah, I just hope they order enough of them. They get swamped every year by this sale. I'm sure they are going to have a ton of people coming in to buy NBA 2K10, Brutal Legend, Uncharted 2, and other big titles that are released shortly before or during the sale.

Oh shit, this'll work with Modern Warfare 2, won't it?!?!?
McLovin said:
If I wait for Uncharted 2 + Demons Soul, could I pre-buy Ratchet and Clank?
Pre-orders are not part of the sale. But some people buy a 'placeholder' title and then return it when the later title comes out. TRU is working hard to stop this though. YMMV. Read the FAQ in the OP and subsequent discussions.

McLovin

speculawyer said:
Pre-orders are not part of the sale. But some people buy a 'placeholder' title and then return it when the later title comes out. TRU is working hard to stop this though. YMMV. Read the FAQ in the OP and subsequent discussions.
Alright.. seems like trouble.. might as well get Katamari or NG2 Sigma instead.
Edit- Demon's Soul, Uncharted 2, Borderlands(swap). :O***

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
brutal legend and uncharted 2 are the easy part.

but Borderlands or Demon's Soul? I can't decide!!!

McLovin

Kodiak said:

Yeah seriously... they should have moved a couple of games up to September. If Brutal Legend came out last month I would have totally bought it. Now its just lost in a sea of awesome games :(

Concept17

I'm a little worried about getting a placeholder for this, as money is tight this month, but I can't pass up on a free game, especially when I have a 15$ GC. I just need to see if Gamestop can move my uncharted preorder to AC2, despite already getting the beta codes. That and I need to figure out what I should get as a placeholder, in case I get stuck with it.

Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls are for sure. I need to play the demos still, but its pretty much between NGS2 and Brutal Legend.

I don't know. =(

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Concept17 said:
I'm a little worried about getting a placeholder for this, as money is tight this month, but I can't pass up on a free game, especially when I have a 15$ GC. I just need to see if Gamestop can move my uncharted preorder to AC2, despite already getting the beta codes. That and I need to figure out what I should get as a placeholder, in case I get stuck with it.

Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls are for sure. I need to play the demos still, but its pretty much between NGS2 and Brutal Legend.

I don't know. =(

Brutal Legend, an assuredly unique Schafer classic! Or NGS2.... a superior version of the same old action game.

Kodiak said:

I'm so pissed that Borderlands isn't within the TRU sale period.

And Amazon hasn't had a good deal on Borderlands either.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Jazzy Network said:
To get rid of old inventory that won't sell in any other manner?

but whenever I go to Toys R Us its always a shitty, lackluster inventory that turns me off from the store.

oneHeero

Phaethon0017 said:
Uncharted 2 and Brutal Legend are a given, but I can't for the life of me think of a 3rd game to get.
Buy both games, get a popular game for your 3rd. Sell the 3rd game on craigslist for $50 and you end up paying like 80bucks for 2 games, which is very cheap.

That's what I do on these b2g1.

Bizzyb

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
ECA is free if you use the coupon code GIMAG. Amazon also offers free release date delivery for Prime members. So you'd be perfectly fine getting it from Amazon.

So I just got Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days for $28, reg price 34.99

I actually was able to get it into my Gold Box "Quick Picks" and then used ECA discount. Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll be making most, if not all future videogame purchases from Amazon

Don't know if its been asked yet but can I use my $20.00 Gift Card I got from Batman AA on any of the games in the promotion?

-Nevermind should have just searched through the thread looks like it will work fine.

Anticitizen One said:
I have the Arkham Asylum $20 gift card. Does that have an expiration date?

30th of October.

Penguin

Uncharted 2
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

And not sure the 3rd, thinking either something like Turtles Smash Up or.. don't know.. shall wing it

speculawyer said:
OK, I'm getting

Uncharted 2
Wii Resort Sports with 2 Motion+
Fallout 3: GOTY edition.

Amazon is great but with these titles, the B2G1F still beats them.

I didn't say that Amazon always beats out the deal, just in a lot of cases it does or can simplify things by not needing a set of three. Let's say you wanted 5 games, Amazon could either get you a better deal or close to it. There are certainly cases where it doesn't, but just don't dive in without taking a look since it could be cheaper. Rock Band Beatles does have $10 right now. I just checked.

Bizzyb said:
So I just got Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days for $28, reg price 34.99

I actually was able to get it into my Gold Box "Quick Picks" and then used ECA discount. Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll be making most, if not all future videogame purchases from Amazon

Did you use KINGDOM5 for another $5 off?

speculawyer said:
Rock Band Beatles for 360 and PS3 both have the $10 credit. For some reason it doesn't show up on the product page everytime... Just refresh the page and it should appear!

beatles.jpg

I wonder if this is the case for other games as well.

Games like Uncharted and Brutal Legends don't come out until Tuesday, and I doubt there will be else that is decent left by then between the regular foot traffic and the hoarders that want to make a quick buck on Ebay.

I was thinking about using this to pick up Brutal Legends and the Fable 2: Platinum Hits but I'm not sure what my 3rd would be (possibly Demon Sword), and, by Tuesday, the inventory of most anything decent will probably be wiped. Plus, good luck actually getting one of those copies of the Tuesdays releases unless you don't have a job/school that requires you to be at work all day Tuesday. TRU doesn't keep the biggest inventories on hand anymore and I doubt there would be much left by 4-5pm.

I'm just not sure it is worth the effort to possibly save what amounts to $10-$20 off prices elsewhere.

DIrtyWeasel said:
Rock Band Beatles for 360 and PS3 both have the $10 credit. For some reason it doesn't show up on the product page everytime... Just refresh the page and it should appear!

I wonder if this is the case for other games as well.

Also Halo ODST keeps dropping in price. It's now down to $47.xx which means after ECA, it's cheaper than it is at TRU with the sale and you don't even need to buy a set of three games. You can buy it alone. So doing just Rock Band Beatles and Halo ODST, your cost is about $81.33 which is less than the price at Toys R Us and you don't need to buy a third game if you don't want to.

Or if you wanted Uncharted as a third game, you can get your total cost to $127.62 which is cheaper than Toys R Us for buying all three. Either way, Amazon you still come out ahead on those three.

Zeliard

lawblob said:
I couldn't imagine that actually working. Seems like even the most basic point of sale computer would be able to prevent that kind of thing.

Not to mention the clerk simply looking at the receipt.

Kingpen

Anticitizen One said:
I have the Arkham Asylum $20 gift card. Does that have an expiration date?

pretty sure it is Oct 31st, so be sure to use it before then... thats what I remember mine saying

Marty Chinn said:
Rock Band Beatles does have $10 right now. I just checked.
It wasn't when I checked. And it was there just now for me. And then I hit refresh, and it appeared.

That is one think about Amazon . . . they can change prices by the minute so it pays to check back. GH 5 recently went from $59.99 to $29.99 and now to $49.97.

You can get NBA 2K10 at Amazon for an effective price of $37.96 right now with the current $52.99 price if you use the ECA 10% discount and count the current $10 credit.

speculawyer said:
It wasn't when I checked. And it was there just now for me. And then I hit refresh, and it appeared.

That is one think about Amazon . . . they can change prices by the minute so it pays to check back. GH 5 recently went from $59.99 to $29.99 and now to $49.97.

You can get NBA 2K10 at Amazon for $37.96 right now with the current $52.99 price if you use the ECA 10% discount and count the current $10 credit.

Rock Band Beatles has had the $10 off for several days now according to CAG, so it's certainly not a recent thing. Amazon has been great so I think it should at least be the first place you check before you buy something just to get a baseline.

DCX

DCX
speculawyer said:

You can get NBA 2K10 at Amazon for $37.96 right now with the current $52.99 price if you use the ECA 10% discount and count the current $10 credit.
how do u apply the ten to a current order? It says you'll get the code for a future purchase

DCX

This will be good if I can find

TMNT Smash UP
Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2
??? PSP game

Crap I would still have like $40 in gift cards left, aww nuts this is tough :lol

DCX

DCX
If i can get this 10 dollar thing applied to this order with NBA 2k10, then my three changes to : - Halo 3: ODST
- Uncharted 2
- Wi Sports Resort: 2x wii motion plus

DCX

Barrett2

Penguin said:
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

And not sure the 3rd, thinking either something like Turtles Smash Up or.. don't know.. shall wing it

Ooh, forgot about Ultimate Alliance... Man, I have the feeling when I go to the store I will panic, end up grabbing three random-ass games in a state of confusion, and halfway home realize i've made a terrible decision. :lol

Top Bottom